Team-BHP - 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-87.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by outdoorlover (Post 3394498)
I took delivery of my VX CVT on 28-Feb in Gurgaon and have driven it slightly over 700kms till now. While I am happy with the CVT performance which is considerably better than a Fluence CVT that I had driven earlier for a month, I am seeing an FE of 11.4kmpl. Not very happy about it but I was told that it is going to improve after 1000 kms. But overall, quite happy with the smoothness of the vehicle and the bells & whistles that the model comes with.

Congratulations on your new purchase clap:. How did you find the drive without using paddle shifters?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMJ (Post 3394507)
Getting the registration accepted on Team-BHP feels like a big achievement. Got it right at the forth attempt. Thank you for getting me on board. :)

For months I have followed this post and had a lot to add and finally feels great to get this opportunity. I am booked for the CVT since December and hopefully should get the delivery next month. I did test drive the SV CVT and my views are:

I made sure the music system was off to hear how the engine sounds. Yes there is a bit of CVT grunt even on the soft pedal. The pickup is okay(definitely not peppy) and I felt that when you keep the pedal consistent after the speed is 50+ the engine revs better. However if you just put your foot down it just does not respond and its just Noisy. You cant overtake in traffic as you can in a DCT system. You will have to drive the way people drive a S500 or a 7 series in traffic, you never seem them cutting fast. You may have to give that respect to the City CVT, just relax and drive. This was my experience of about 2 kms of drive on the CVT. - Feedback is welcome from people who are driving it everyday now

The other thing I noticed was the AC blower at the back it is just not powerful even if you put the fan speed up. Then the front blower gets very noisy but still the rear blower does not blow as much.

Welcome onboard. How did you find the drive of CVT in 'S' mode? The response should be definitely better than D mode. Did you try the 'L' mode as well? For quick overtaking, the 'S' mode along with paddle shifters would be really good but the latter (paddle shifters) is something not part of SV model :Frustrati.

Quote:

Originally Posted by neel911 (Post 3394532)
Welcome onboard. How did you find the drive of CVT in 'S' mode? The response should be definitely better than D mode. Did you try the 'L' mode as well? For quick overtaking, the 'S' mode along with paddle shifters would be really good but the latter (paddle shifters) is something not part of SV model :Frustrati.

I took the testdrive about 2 weeks ago and found Honda to be very unprofessional with the way they handled expectations of Paddle shifters on the SV. I did drive in the S mode for a very short distance so cant comment and did not try the L mode. The test drive car was the SV and guess there are no VX CVT testdrives in the City yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by neel911 (Post 3394532)
Congratulations on your new purchase clap:. How did you find the drive without using paddle shifters?

Thanks, Neel :) I have been using ATs for about 11 years now in India and abroad to an extent that I find it difficult to get back to stick shifters :Frustrati

I guess for most normal driving you would not need to use the paddle shifter. The acceleration without using the paddle shifts is not a problem as the engine is quite rev happy as Hondas traditionally have been. One of the situations which I could think of where the S (sequential shift) mode is a must have would be in a hill descent situation on a Gear 2. Hope this helps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tejas08 (Post 3394123)
Any advice on this would be appreciated.

P.S. - Anybody over here who has taken delivery of the new City from Arya Honda

Tejas, it seems strange that they are asking for full payment even before issuing an allotment letter. I feel the allotted car must reach stockyard before payment so that you can do PDI. Did he say anything about allowing you to inspect the car at the stockyard in Panvel? Have you opted for vehicle loan? What was your colour choice for V MT Petrol? Now, I am worried 'cos I have the same dealer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMJ (Post 3394507)
Getting the registration accepted on Team-BHP feels like a big achievement. Got it right at the forth attempt. Thank you for getting me on board. :)

Welcome AMJ! Congratulations! clap: I am a newbie like you and even I had to face a tough test for getting accepted on Team-BHP.

Yes, it's 3.30am in the night.
No, I can't sleep.

While I've seen a lot of bhpians post how they can't sleep the night before the delivery of their new rides - I never thought it'd happen to me.

And yet...here I am :)

[Taking delivery of petrol City 'V' model tomorrow (today :) ) afternoon ]

My White SV CVT car is ready (registration done). I however need to wait till Saturday (some auspicious day according to my family) to take delivery.

I've been hunting for alloys for quite some time. I first checked with Honda for the Alloys that they used to give in earlier generation City: 10 spokes with 2 spokes grouped together. I got a quote for around 38K for 4 alloys ( did not get into negotiation yet) but it's beyond my budget so dropped that. Then I went to Hot Tracks in Bangalore. They showed me the premium Italy imported alloys and they start from around 48K for 4 alloys which again beyond my budget. They also had Chinese made HRS and Lenso Alloys. The designs were good but I'm not sure about reliability.

I've been having discussions with Nikhil for my tyre upgrade and thats when I brought about point of my hunt for good alloys and he mentioned that I should look into Neo Alloys as well. They are manufactured in India and there is control over the quality of same. I thank Nikhil for the guidance

I've seem to have finalized on one of the below 2 alloys. Would love to get some feedback from fellow BHPians

Option 1: Dizzy Hyper Silver 100PCD, 4 Holes, 6.0J
Name:  Screen Shot 20140319 at 9.43.56 pm.png
Views: 3161
Size:  170.4 KB

Option 2: Aristo Hyper Silver 100PCD, 4 Holes, 6.5J
Name:  Screen Shot 20140319 at 9.44.23 pm.png
Views: 3104
Size:  88.7 KB

Quote:

Originally Posted by outdoorlover (Post 3394552)

I guess for most normal driving you would not need to use the paddle shifter. The acceleration without using the paddle shifts is not a problem as the engine is quite rev happy as Hondas traditionally have been. One of the situations which I could think of where the S (sequential shift) mode is a must have would be in a hill descent situation on a Gear 2. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I'm hoping with S and L (Low Mode), I should be just fine. With 2 kids, I usually do not push car beyond a certain point. 'V' Variant with CVT would have been apt (with paddle shifters ofcourse) but VX is going out of my budget in Bangalore. Need to relocate or have business ion Pondicherry :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis (Post 3394622)
Yes, it's 3.30am in the night.
No, I can't sleep.

While I've seen a lot of bhpians post how they can't sleep the night before the delivery of their new rides - I never thought it'd happen to me.

And yet...here I am

[Taking delivery of petrol City 'V' model tomorrow (today ) afternoon ]

Same here. I'm so badly waiting to take reigns of my car

Hi,
We had booked V MT petrol, Urban Titanium. The car has arrived and is currently in the stockyard:). We are yet to get allotment letter but our SA claims that the vehicle was allotted to someone else who flew to USA. So he has allotted the car for us. Will the allotment letter be sent from Honda or from the showroom? He has asked us to make the full payment by this weekend so that he can register the car. When asked if I can see the car, he says no one has asked for it so far. I'm sure at least a few BHPians would have asked for the same. The showroom in Deccan Honda, Lavelle Road. We are planning to take the vehicle on 31st March which is a festival day as well as my sister's birhtday! Has anyone booked at Deccan Honda, Lavelle Road and did PDI? Your experience will be vital for me to get the PDI done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by neel911 (Post 3394680)

Attachment 1221847

Attachment 1221848

Based on looks alone - option 2 looks much better. But have a gut feeling that 6.5J might be pushing it too wide. Also, you'll have to go for really wide rubber on rims that wide - not sure if the City's steering assembly should be subject to that much extra stress from the added friction.

Experienced bhp-ians - please chime in

First impressions of RED RAMBO (V-MT iVTEC) until I complete my official review:
1. The car is surely a good buy. Coming from a SX4, there were always apprehensions on ground clearance, space etc, but this car checks most boxes.
2. The reverse camera takes some getting used to. I am planning to install reverse sensors.
3. As GTO mentioned in his official review, the door panels do bulge while operating the windows (just like in my Dzire)!
4. This car is effortless to drive in the city and is a driver’s car on the highway.
5. The seating position is very comfortable and it's HUGE from inside (ample space in the back seat with my seat being pushed almost all the way back).
6. The auto a/c works just fine and there are no issues with that.
7. The 5" audio system could have been better. The interface isn't as user friendly as can be. Also, there's no MUTE button anywhere! Honda should have given the option for touch-screen.
8. However, the speakers have good quality and I am happy with the output.
9. The rims are not very attractive. Honda should have provided a better option.
10. The stalk on the instrument panel looks bad. My cousin asked me whether it was a pen holder!
11. The spaces inside the car to keep phones, etc are decent expect for the back seat. They have provided 2 charging slots but then there is no place to keep the phones while charging. Maybe the rear vents took that space.
12. The naked boot lid looks quite bad but I think very soon it would be available as an accessory.
13. The gear knob is not suitable for a car of this segment / category. My Dzire’s gear knob feels better.
14. There is door auto-lock when the car is running which is a good feature. However, it unlocks when I just switch the engine off without removing the keys. This is not good and I will try to see if it can be changed. This makes it tough to shut the car at long traffic signals. (any inputs on getting this done?)
15. Fuel tank could have been slightly bigger. It's only 40 liters now.
16. The car is lower to sit than the SX4 and my parents are still getting used to it.
17. There is a terrible plastic smell in the car and I hope that it goes quickly.
18. First tank up mileage of 9.5km/l in only city driving conditions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis (Post 3394734)
Based on looks alone - option 2 looks much better. But have a gut feeling that 6.5J might be pushing it too wide. Also, you'll have to go for really wide rubber on rims that wide - not sure if the City's steering assembly should be subject to that much extra stress from the added friction.

Experienced bhp-ians - please chime in

Actually, I'll be upgrading my tyres to 195/60 as well so hopefully should be good based on below post. 6J or 6.5J seems ideal for 195/60.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2455265

Quote:

Originally Posted by neel911 (Post 3394680)
My White SV CVT car is ready (registration done). I however need to wait till Saturday (some auspicious day according to my family) to take delivery.

I've been hunting for alloys for quite some time. I first checked with Honda for the Alloys that they used to give in earlier generation City: 10 spokes with 2 spokes grouped together. I got a quote for around 38K for 4 alloys ( did not get into negotiation yet) but it's beyond my budget so dropped that. Then I went to Hot Tracks in Bangalore. They showed me the premium Italy imported alloys and they start from around 48K for 4 alloys which again beyond my budget. They also had Chinese made HRS and Lenso Alloys. The designs were good but I'm not sure about reliability.

I've been having discussions with Nikhil for my tyre upgrade and thats when I brought about point of my hunt for good alloys and he mentioned that I should look into Neo Alloys as well. They are manufactured in India and there is control over the quality of same. I thank Nikhil for the guidance

I've seem to have finalized on one of the below 2 alloys. Would love to get some feedback from fellow BHPians

Attachment 1221847

Attachment 1221848

Option 2 looks good. I think 5.5J is the recommended one for the 175 series but if you are upgrading the tyres then 6.5J should be fine.
38k for the 10 spokes alloys sounds too much especially when Chennai can offer the same product for 25k. I would suggest you pick up the alloys from here if you have any recent plans to visit chennai :)
They do have another model for 8.5k but it looked very normal.

I had the opportunity to inspect the SV CVT Silver that has been allocated to me in the yard a couple of days ago. It is having Bridgestone B250 tires. I am driving my i10 on B290:thumbs up. The SV MT standing next to it is fit with Michelin Energy XM1:Frustrati. Anyway, I have no plan to change or upgrade the wheel/tire now. My loan got approved. I have already paid the margin money. Will take delivery on 27/28 Mar as I am out of country from tomorrow.

While I was waiting, I quickly skimmed through the user manual of the City. It is mentioned in the manual that the vehicles without paddle shifters (in this case, SV) comes with P-R-N-D-S-L modes of drive and the one with paddle shifters (VX) can be driven in P-R-N-D-S modes (page nos. 372-377).

Quote:

Originally Posted by anand89 (Post 3394704)
Hi,
We had booked V MT petrol, Urban Titanium. The car has arrived and is currently in the stockyard:). We are yet to get allotment letter but our SA claims that the vehicle was allotted to someone else who flew to USA. So he has allotted the car for us. Will the allotment letter be sent from Honda or from the showroom? He has asked us to make the full payment by this weekend so that he can register the car. When asked if I can see the car, he says no one has asked for it so far. I'm sure at least a few BHPians would have asked for the same. The showroom in Deccan Honda, Lavelle Road. We are planning to take the vehicle on 31st March which is a festival day as well as my sister's birhtday! Has anyone booked at Deccan Honda, Lavelle Road and did PDI? Your experience will be vital for me to get the PDI done.

Anand,
I guess you are referring to Dakshin Honda. I got my V-MT Honda City From Dakshin Honda in Feb 2014. They allowed me to visit the car in the Stock Yard by providing the Chassis number. The Stock Yard is on Hosur Road. There was no PDI Done except on the day of delivery since they kept saying they would polish and clean the car only on day of delivery but you can definitely visit and see the car in the stock yard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul_charles (Post 3394942)
I had the opportunity to inspect the SV CVT Silver that has been allocated to me in the yard a couple of days ago. It is having Bridgestone B250 tires. I am driving my i10 on B290:thumbs up. The SV MT standing next to it is fit with Michelin Energy XM1:Frustrati.

I feel you did slightly better than me since you got the Bridgestone. I bought a V-MT and ended up with MRF ZVTV. I think Honda should by default put the Michelins on the V/VX models since people anyway have to cough up a premium for these variants- but its a lottery

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsrivatsa (Post 3394981)
Anand,
I guess you are referring to Dakshin Honda. I got my V-MT Honda City From Dakshin Honda in Feb 2014. They allowed me to visit the car in the Stock Yard by providing the Chassis number. The Stock Yard is on Hosur Road. There was no PDI Done except on the day of delivery since they kept saying they would polish and clean the car only on day of delivery but you can definitely visit and see the car in the stock yard.

Thanks for correcting me. I was multi-tasking and this happened:Frustrati will talk to the SA again and try to have a look at the car. They haven't given me the chassis number as yet, saying they will provide it once the full payment is done.

Looks like the SV variants are easily available. In Bangalore SV - both petrol and diesel variants are available for delivery within a week's notice at both the dealerships I spoke to.