Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2014, 07:34   #1381
BHPian

The key is really disappointing. However, we can get a foldable one made outside. I am on the lookout for the best people who can do it. If anybody has got their keys made foldable outside, please share.
Old 25th March 2014, 07:40   #1382
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevilslair View Post
Now I am not sure myself. There is a gentle growl which seems to emanate from the front left side only in the first / second gear at low RPM. Mostly while getting the stationary car going. At higher speeds the sound almost completely vanishes or even if it doesn't the roads make sure I don't hear any.

Having self doubts regarding the silence of the engine...
Am I being too harsh on the Honda coming from a diesel car? Do other owners also hear a gentle growl from the engine while moving from the stationary?
Do you hear this engine growl with the AC on or even with AC off ?
rajivn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 08:22   #1383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivn View Post
Do you hear this engine growl with the AC on or even with AC off ?
Hi Rajivn, I tried both options. The sounds there in both cases, with no palpable difference between them. With the ac off, the growl is more clearly audible.
Old 25th March 2014, 08:53   #1384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick145 View Post
The key is really disappointing. However, we can get a foldable one made outside. I am on the lookout for the best people who can do it. If anybody has got their keys made foldable outside, please share.
Just do some research before taking the plunge. As per the SA, the Honda Keys have chip inside which matches the engine of that car and only if this check passes, the engine will start. So duplicating the same in a fold-able key form factor may not be that straight forward. Please do correct me if my understanding is wrong.
Old 25th March 2014, 08:58   #1385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
Just do some research before taking the plunge. As per the SA, the Honda Keys have chip inside which matches the engine of that car and only if this check passes, the engine will start. So duplicating the same in a fold-able key form factor may not be that straight forward. Please do correct me if my understanding is wrong.
The duplicate key has same casings inside which means you can take the chip assembly and put it in the new one. But since it's an aftermarket product there may be problems. There is a thread on team bhp for foldable aftermarket keys.
skyfire2892 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 09:35   #1386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Hi Sanket, I have clocked about 910kms on my VX CVT now and am averaging at 11.7 kmpl now. I have also noticed that the engine, and gear mechanism has been progressively smoothening out after about 600kms with improvement mileage too.
Thanks for the info. Could you tell me whether these 910kms were in city bumper to bumper traffic? Company is claiming 18, so I was hoping that in city I would atleast get 13-14
Old 25th March 2014, 12:07   #1387
Distinguished - BHPian

On Saturday, 22nd March 2014, my Sister and Brother-in-law (BIL) took delivery of their new Honda City VX Petrol from the Magnum Honda Showroom on Kanakapura Road in Bangalore.
The Booking was done on December 24th 2013.

The Ecosport was the first choice but after looking at the 8-month to 1 year waiting period, my BIL decided not to book it.

After the City was launched and seeing the initial pictures, we were impressed.
Once the TBHP review was online, it was decided that The City will be the next car

Then last month, the previous car Polo 1.6 sale Ad was posted on TBHP Classifieds.
In a week, a Rally enthusiast came home and closed the deal within a matter of hours and the vehicle was sold!

Initially the variant was totally undecided. When the Diesel was available for test drive in the second week of January this year, We drove it and found that the power was on the lower side. Note that my BIL had the 1.6 Polo.

The car doesn't run much. So, Diesel was not an absolute requirement.
The decision was therefore pushed till the Petrol car launch. In the first week of February, the petrol car was available and my BIL liked it.
The silence and the power were the two major deal breakers for him. He confirmed the variant as the top end VX.

The colour, as usual, was something that each family member had a different opinion. Finally, the new golden brown colour was chosen.

The sales guy told that ours would be the first golden brown VX. He told that the car would be delivered in the last week of February.
In the 4th week of February, my BIL called the sales guy and asked for an update. He told us that it will be delivered by March 10th.

In the last week of February, my parents went there to have a look at the car.
That day must have been a bad day for the sales person, because when my parents went there, another Petrol Golden Brown VX was standing in the showroom ready for delivery!

My BIL was really unhappy and he escalated this to the Sales manager. He assured us that the next golden brown VX would deifnitely reach us.
After this small issue, every step from the day the car left the factory till it was delivered was updated to us.

Then on 21st march, The sales guy called and told that the car will be delivered on 22nd. By 4 PM, the car was ready and we went to the showrrom.
While the last formalities and document signing was happening, vehicle was polished.
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20140322_163602.jpg
Polishing under progress. View from inside the showroom

My 2+year old nephew, who just loves to play with cars, surprisingly did not like the car. He started crying and he didn't want to sit in the new City and ran towards the car he likes most-my Abarth
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20140322_170110.jpg
He didn't like it!

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20140322_171329.jpg
"Abarth is my favourite"

After we forcefully put him in the City, in another 15 minutes he started to like his new car.

During delivery, I noticed the misaligned gear knob. The sales guy just turned it to bring it to the right position.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20140322_165514.jpg
Misaligned!

But later we also found that, after adjusting the knob, the leather covering is not fixed properly. Will inform this in the 1K service.

Overall the experience has been good. Some initial observations:
  • Compared to our friend's 2nd gen City, this is much more spacious
  • The rear lamps is amazingly good looking. Overall the Verna doesn't impress me anymore
  • We hated the front chrome grille but on this colour it looks just OK.
  • Cruise control is a good feature-We test drove on the NICE road
  • The door closing sound doesn't feel as assuring as we had on the Polo and my Punto
  • On a million plus car they can't provide a Height adjusting seat belt! its shocking.
  • The rear head room is very less even for a not so tall 5'7" guy like me
  • The drive is effortless but the steering is too light for my liking and lacks feedback
  • The suspension is too hard for my liking. Tyres and wheels are crappy in my opinion.
  • The absense of a boot lid cover-On Amaze its still ok, but not on the City...Please!
  • Having used the Polo and Punto, 3 Free services offered (1k/1month, 5k/3months, 10K/6months) is not impressive at all for us.
  • The armrest is too short for me (my elbow just about touches it) but for my 6'1" tall BIL, it is perfect.
  • The engine is not as peppy IMO as the previous 1.6 Polo but still it is a nice car to drive.
  • The touch panel for the AC looks nice but while changing gears I accidentally touch it and it changes the AC modes
  • The horn on a honda activa is so much better than the one provided on this car
  • The headlights are crappy as well.
I Will post some good pictures when I take it probably over the coming weekend.
hemanth.anand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 12:30   #1388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevilslair View Post
3) I observed a soft grunt / growl on the front left side mostly in the first and second gears
My car doesn't grunt/growl at lower rpm. There is hardly any sound coming from the engine bay. I have clocked 590 kms so far.

The problems i faced is the hardness in gear shift (from 2nd to 1st and some times 3rd to 2nd) on lower rpms. I hope it would be smoother with some more kms/first service.

The other one is the suspension at low speed makes you feel even the smallest bumps on the road.

Rest of the experience so far is awesome!
feroz_009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 13:09   #1389
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by feroz_009 View Post
The other one is the suspension at low speed makes you feel even the smallest bumps on the road.
Suspension is stiff and transmits most of the road imperfections into the cabin. However, things don't get better with speed also as the rear suspension is squishy and jumps up and down quite a lot while travelling at speeds.
Old 25th March 2014, 13:34   #1390
BHPian

Is there a chance that I've been pawned off a lemon - one of those cars that perhaps had some minor manufacturing niggles?
Is there any way one can check these before buying?

Also, assuming that the root cause is identified and corrected duly, will it be good enough in the long run?

Last edited by deevilslair : 25th March 2014 at 13:36. Reason: missed mentioning a point
Old 25th March 2014, 13:57   #1391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanketdesai82 View Post

Thanks for the info. Could you tell me whether these 910kms were in city bumper to bumper traffic? Company is claiming 18, so I was hoping that in city I would atleast get 13-14
Ive driven the cvt for 1000km and I havent got anything more than 11. Ive owned enough hondas in the past to know that their cars are not the most fuel efficient, at least the automatics. I think one should be happy with 12 and not expect any better.
Old 25th March 2014, 14:01   #1392
BHPian

All,
My friend badly wants to buy the Petrol variant and he spoke to all Honda dealers in Bangalore. Apparently all of them are saying only Diesel variants available and for petrol you have to wait for at least 6 to 7 months
Is this some kind of push Diesel campaign?

Has anyone else faced similar issues?
Old 25th March 2014, 15:27   #1393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Suspension is stiff and transmits most of the road imperfections into the cabin. However, things don't get better with speed also as the rear suspension is squishy and jumps up and down quite a lot while travelling at speeds.
Was this the same case with 3rd GEN Honda City? One other question

Which C+ Segment car has the best suspension?
Old 25th March 2014, 15:49   #1394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Ive driven the cvt for 1000km and I havent got anything more than 11. Ive owned enough hondas in the past to know that their cars are not the most fuel efficient, at least the automatics. I think one should be happy with 12 and not expect any better.
I've driven my V-MT now for 500km and tanked up twice. Both times I have got a mileage of 9.5km/l and the entire driving has been within Mumbai city for travelling to and fro office / meetings. I am hoping that I see some improvement moving forward... (fingers crossed)
Old 25th March 2014, 17:07   #1395
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikrishna717 View Post
All,
My friend badly wants to buy the Petrol variant and he spoke to all Honda dealers in Bangalore. Apparently all of them are saying only Diesel variants available and for petrol you have to wait for at least 6 to 7 months
Is this some kind of push Diesel campaign?

Has anyone else faced similar issues?
Right from the beginning, Honda has spaced their production this way. The petrol City was NOT even launched for 3-4 months since the initial launch.

Most Viewed