Team-BHP - 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-95.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by i_m_anaconda (Post 3399048)
I may be getting delivery of my SV CVT on coming Monday.

One of the things that I don't like about SV is its 3.5 inch system. Has anyone in the forum upgraded ICE for new Honda City?

I too don't like it. Am taking delivery in first week of April of diesel SV.

Does petrol SV also comes with only 4 speakers and no tweeters? Can we install them ourselves?

Quote:

Originally Posted by feroz_009 (Post 3398848)
After reading your post, I thought of checking my car and took it to outer ring road to see if my Achillies (name of my car) has the same issue or notlol:. At around 600 rpm on 2nd gear, speed less than 15kmph I could hear very low grunt coming from the bonnet, could be due to overload on the engine as I m not on the right gear.

I have even checked the engine idle sound with bonnet open and found that the belt sound is more evident and is on the higher side (hissing sound). I am not sure if this is common with all new cars?

Could you please give more information on your problem? This would help me in differentiating it with any issues on my car.

I checked the issue again today morning and there was no sound of the belt. After driving few kms I could again hear the belt sound. I am assuming it is common with all cars after engine heats.

TBHPians, any insights on this!

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry10 (Post 3399124)

Does petrol SV also comes with only 4 speakers and no tweeters? Can we install them ourselves?

That's right. The Petrol ones also come without tweeters in SV variant. It might be better to upgrade speakers in first place. I really find the speakers average/typical OEM quality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by feroz_009 (Post 3398848)
After reading your post, I thought of checking my car and took it to outer ring road to see if my Achillies (name of my car) has the same issue or notlol:. At around 600 rpm on 2nd gear, speed less than 15kmph I could hear very low grunt coming from the bonnet, could be due to overload on the engine as I m not on the right gear.

I have even checked the engine idle sound with bonnet open and found that the belt sound is more evident and is on the higher side (hissing sound). I am not sure if this is common with all new cars?

Could you please give more information on your problem? This would help me in differentiating it with any issues on my car.

The noise for me was some sort of rattle or growl or grunt. It sounded as if something was stuck and fowling somewhere. I actually stopped to check if something was stuck in the tires etc., Strangely this sound went off at higher speeds. I am supposed to get my car back today. Shall update you once I see what Honda has to say.

Will check the engine sound as well. The advantage at a service center is we can check vs other cars there to see what is par and what is abnormal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deevilslair (Post 3398807)
After many followups and mail to the India Head, finally got a call from the service center at last. They acknowledged the noise and claim that honda engineers are checking the issue. As a gesture of support, they also have offered a substitute car to drive for the time my car is being worked upon.

So after 15 days, I am now a proxy owner of another All New Honda City, 2014. This time its a diesel TD car. Still await my carnelian pearl red to be back in the pink of health. (pun unintended :D)

Lets hope its just a one - off issue and they are able to turn around quickly.
Can you PM me the Email Address of the India Head? It would be handy to have for future :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry10 (Post 3399124)

I checked with couple of installers today and was told that the current head unit can be replaced with Blaupunkt San Diego 530 or similar systems. This is a touch screen head unit and steering mounted controls too work with this system.

A lot of people who have test driven the new Honda City Diesel are complaining about the engine noise in the cabin. Even my folks mentioned that post their test drive and they are not petrol heads. Sadly, I was not part of the demo and can not be for another 15 odd days, so can someone enlighten me on this issue.

Is the noise that bad?
Is it like erstwhile Indica/Indigo siblings?
How does it compare with other vehicles like Verna/Vento?
Can it be reduced by aftermarket solutions?

and most important, should I really fret over this? Because, on every other aspect City fits the bill perfectly for our use.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akhilesh51 (Post 3399351)
A lot of people who have test driven the new Honda City Diesel are complaining about the engine noise in the cabin. Even my folks mentioned that post their test drive and they are not petrol heads. Sadly, I was not part of the demo and can not be for another 15 odd days, so can someone enlighten me on this issue.

Is the noise that bad?

and most important, should I really fret over this? Because, on every other aspect City fits the bill perfectly for our use.

I was in this same dilemma when i test drove the city , it exceeded my expectations in every respect but this noise issue bothered me.
First let me make it very clear that city is the noisiest car i've even driven and the noise was very bothersome in my first test drive but i realized i was hard revving the car that time so i went for a test drive again , this time i drove the car at normal rpms and upshifted in the 2000-2500 range and found the noise levels to be acceptable but still on the higher side. It was hardly audible when i turned on the a/c and the audio system (at moderate volume levels),other than this everything else was excellent and even the performance was more than adequate but as GTO said its no match to vento/verna.
Before driving the City i found our Cruze to be loud and a bit harsh but it felt like the smoothest and quietest car on this planet after test driving the city. (No kidding the noise levels are that bad).Verna is in a different league altogether and noise levels are atleast 60% lower.

Vento's noise levels are on the higher side too but they still are not as much as the city , it comes somewhere in between verna and city maybe 25-30% lower than the city.

I highly doubt there are any aftermarket solutions available to reduce the noise levels but damping all the doors can help a bit (it'll also help improve the audio quality of the speakers and reduce road noise too).
But still you must be ready to live with higher noise levels if you opt for the city , i am.

P.S I'm expecting my car next week. (City SV)

Quote:

Originally Posted by akhilesh51 (Post 3399351)

Is the noise that bad?

I do not own neither have taken TD of the new City Diesel. However, I was at a local Honda showroom and was right besides a TD City diesel. The person doing a TD, started the engine, was in idle for a while, reversed it and then took off. To me the City diesel seemed 'quiet' even though I was standing out. One possibility could be due to a little bit of street noise. So I think "noise" should not be a decision maker if all other boxes check right.
The diesel City has been selling well and largely the feedback in forums and otherwise has been good. I suggest, take a TD yourself and be the judge. But in all, I do not think you should be concerned on the "noise" bit of the new diesel City. It is a nice car with great mileage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by i_m_anaconda (Post 3399257)

I checked with couple of installers today and was told that the current head unit can be replaced with Blaupunkt San Diego 530 or similar systems. This is a touch screen head unit and steering mounted controls too work with this system.

What about the warranty issue? I read somewhere Honda has a problem with warranty if an aftermarket HU is installed?

What's the price for Blaupunkt?

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight (Post 3398816)
I drive previous generation Verna CRDI AT. Verna AT is 4 speed with overdrive lock. So for me, that is near to a 5 speed. Obviously, locking and unlocking the overdrive is slower compared to AT shifts.

I have driven the non-cvt Honda City AT before buying Verna. Typical of AT boxes, they both upshift early, unless you strongly indicate (using accelerator) otherwise. Given that, a Verna AT will be quicker than City on normal driving, easily. Don't forget the torque figures of verna crdi

On a parallel note, I found Verna with AT box more livable than the hooligan nature of the power delivery in Verna MT. I have not driven new Verna AT extensively. However, the new box offers a manual override, which was not there earlier. You can extract seamless shifts in Verna, once you understand the behavior of the box.

Hope this helps.

How much is the FE you are getting?

Just got back from Apex Honda in Santacruz, Bombay. The waiting period for both CVT variants is 8-9 months. :(
Checked out the Vento as well, which my parents absolutely loved! The 1.2L DSG seems like a downgrade from our 13.5 year old 1.6 ZXi Ikon, though. :(

I saw a SV city standing next to my car at a red light. It seemed it had red dials. Can someone confirm who has a SV i-dtec model what color dials are in it. Is it blue like these which comes in VX taken from review page?

Reached home at 6 PM (couple hours ago).

As soon as I laid my eyes on the Golden Brown-haired beauty, I christened her "Empress". Fitting.

Some snaps of the 2-day visit and delivery:

First look yesterday morning, as she is driven into the service bay, cloaked in dust from her trip from the Greater Noida plant the day before.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20140325_113851.jpg

Rear.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20140325_113908.jpg

Rear three-quarters.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20140325_113918.jpg

Her Highness gets her maiden name.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20140325_114341.jpg

The cockpit.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20140325_114219.jpg

Her Royal Highness all shining and decked up for the delivery at 12 PM today.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20140326_113145.jpg

The Empress's maiden voyage to her home palace.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20140326_192617.jpg

Her first FE figures.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20140326_192637.jpg

Everyone in my family absolutely loves this wonderful "mehandi" metallic shade, as they are fond of saying over and over again. My 2-year old doesn't want to get out of the passenger seat!!

The guys at the dealership were claiming that Golden Brown Metallic is the most sought after color right now, and many deliveries are still pending because this shade isn't easily available. Mine is the first and last Golden Brown Metallic for this dealership for March, as I was told. Got a lot of return glances throughout my return journey, a biker and his friend even chasing me for some distance to catch glimpses of the Empress in all her regal splendor.

Will put the finishing touches to my ownership report tonight. Should be out from Assembly Line tomorrow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocketscience (Post 3399368)
First let me make it very clear that city is the noisiest car i've even driven and the noise was very bothersome in my first test drive but i realized i was hard revving the car that time so i went for a test drive again , this time i drove the car at normal rpms and upshifted in the 2000-2500 range and found the noise levels to be acceptable but still on the higher side.

Honestly, the low end torque of the engine is such that you rarely need to cross 2000-2200rpm in city. This is something that people used to driving lag-heavy MJD and TDi engines need to get used to and alter their driving style accordingly. The diesel City needs to be driven like a Scorpio or a Safari or like an RE Bullet. It just does not need revs for normal driving. Refinement is top class under 2000rpm. You get rewarded with stellar economy too.

And then, 2500rpm in 6th = 130ish kmph. That is fast enough for most.

But yes, it gets gruff and noisy beyond 2500rpm