Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2013, 17:56   #106
Senior - BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Superb comprehensive review! Great job by GTO and the Team BHP team.

Now, coming to the car, it is a mixed bag. There are hits and misses.

HITS -
  • Great cabin space, the best in the segment
  • Loaded with features - bluetooth, cruise control, sunroof, ACC, electric folding mirrors, start stop button with smart key and the shark fin antenna is a nice touch (segment first).
  • Great fuel efficient engines, again segment best.
  • Petrol engine continues to be a great performer.
  • Some parts of the interior are really impressive - the instrument console, the feather touch ACC, 4 charging points, 8 speakers (some segment firsts there)
  • Impressive looking rear end

MISSES -
  • Diesel engine - More than the power output, what will be a major turn off for prospective buyers is the bad refinements levels and NVH. I am surprised that Honda has not addressed this issue in spite of the feedback for Amaze diesel. How much it will hurt Honda remains to be seen
  • External styling could have been better - the garish chrome grill at the front, the horrible looking alloys and the skinny tires - this car could have been an awesome looking one if these parts were taken care of.
  • Glaring cost cutting in some areas - the uncovered boot lid (it's a Blunder), no cladding for the rear wheel, no placeholder for the toolkit (have same issues in my Jazz),no driver vanity mirror.
  • Dashboard design not cohesive, looks like a mish-mash though some elements look really good on their own.
  • Some elements like the gear knob, door pad and exposed reversing camera stick out as sore thumb.

Overall, it's a good effort from Honda and they have addressed the major drawbacks of the earlier city and loaded it up with features. But, it looks to be a hurried, unfinished effort and some elements of the car are definitely disappointing and takes away the 'premium-ness' factor.

I think it will sell well, at least, initially if it is priced alongside the Verna. But, I would expect Verna to give it a tough competition once the initial euphoria dies down.

I am not looking for a new car right now. But my advise to any prospective buyers would be to wait for 1-2 years if not urgent (particularly if he/she is looking for the diesel). I am sure Honda will come up with an upgrade which will address the rough edges in an otherwise competent car.

Question to GTO and team - Did Honda indicate any date from launch of the new Jazz?

Last edited by adimicra : 18th December 2013 at 17:58.
adimicra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 18:13   #107
Senior - BHPian

Heartbreaking. Thailand gets the nicer alloys!
We get the duster ripoffs !

Source: www.indianautosblog.com
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-2014hondacitythailandspiedfront.jpg  

nik_kapur is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 18:58   #108
BHPian

I know this is just nit-picking, but I really prefer cars whose steering wheels have easy access to the horn. Considering it's one of the most used items while driving on roads like ours, placing the horn a little closer to the wheel 'V' or making the entire middle pad a big horn button (like the Ritz) makes sense.
kanuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 19:24   #109
BHPian

Thanks GTO for this amazing review & fabulous pictures, deserves a 5 star. Being a 3rd gen Honda City owner I completely agree with you about the clean side profile of the ongoing model than to the upcoming one. It leaves me wondering why every one wants to go fluidic loosing their own identity?

A very well designed rear & how I wish to fit those tail lamps on mine
SrikantDora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 19:46   #110
Team-BHP Support

Super comprehensive review GTO! Rating 5 star.

What was Honda thinking when they designed the front end? Yes the new dark brown otherwise looks ok, but i would still rate the outgoing model much more elegant compared to this "thing"! And those wheels. :P

Cost cutting is very apparent, they have splurged on interior gizmo's and given a huge thumps down to safety as well as other not so easily missed bits. Always wonder why the manufacturer's follow the penny wise pound thought to the T? Pricing would be the icing now. I won't be surprised as usual it will be placed in some other crazy horizon.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 20:25   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Super comprehensive review GTO! Rating 5 star.

What was Honda thinking when they designed the front end? Yes the new dark brown otherwise looks ok, but i would still rate the outgoing model much more elegant compared to this "thing"! And those wheels. :P
Agre with Jaggu on this. The front looks off mark (remembered Steven Spielbergs spaceships). Somehow did not find the wheels that bad. 175 definitely needs an upgrade (its time).
still a proud owner of the 3rd-gen City

Last edited by GTO : 22nd December 2013 at 00:01. Reason: Please do NOT use acronyms when referring to cars (e.g. ANHC). Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 20:37   #112
BHPian

Any idea what could be the Pricing?

With this City being a possible replacement of Two Cars (Earlier Gen City & Civic) my guess would be the top-end petrol MT could end up at close to 11L+ on-road & for top-end Diesel MT close to 13.5L+ on-road.

With Amaze priced at 9.5L on road for Top-end Diesel, would the additional space and some added features be worth 4L considering that both will be sharing the same i-Dtec engine.

City Petrol would definitely score with regards to the engine, space & added features offered for the additional price but would City diesel be value for money considering the above argument?
Old 18th December 2013, 21:17   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post

"The Amaze's top speed was limited to ~145 kph. No such limiter on the City, with Honda claiming a top whack of 190 kph. "
I don't know about diesel but for petrol City, the top speed was 190kph for the third gen also.

I don't think diesel powered City can reach 190!
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 22:17   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cost cutting is very apparent, they have splurged on interior gizmo's and given a huge thumps down to safety as well as other not so easily missed bits.
Why do you think it is a thumbs down to safety?
Agree on the other points you made
Old 18th December 2013, 22:28   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
No rear disc brakes, only 2 airbags, no ESP. Nothing changed compared to outgoing car except the fact that it's got even lighter.

Comparatively the Verna has better safety kit and the Vento TSI gets ESP as well.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 22:33   #116
Team-BHP Support

Edit: Apart from the above:

Quote:
Powerful light car with 175 cross section tyre width? 175 tyres on the Swift Vdi was so scary that i went and replaced them the very next day, though i was almost bankrupt. And no i am really not a spirited driver also. I always blamed MUL for doing this, Honda has taken it to a new heights. These are 100 bhp + cars, they need better rubber to be safe! Our roads are no longer slow.
Jaggu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 22:34   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Heartbreaking. Thailand gets the nicer alloys!
We get the duster ripoffs !

Source: www.indianautosblog.com
Interesting color as well. I wonder whether we get it.
Old 19th December 2013, 03:33   #118
Max
BHPian

Quote:
[*]Diesel engine - More than the power output, what will be a major turn off for prospective buyers is the bad refinements levels and NVH. I am surprised that Honda has not addressed this issue in spite of the feedback for Amaze diesel. How much it will hurt Honda remains to be seen
I think it has something to do with their diesel motor technology which produces all these sounds and vibrations. May be because its made from aluminum which is good for fuel efficiency but compromise in NVH. People in India are extremely picky about mileage and every other honda amaze owner I have met, they all brag about how good is the mileage!

However, I am sure if city has high NVH it will definitely effect their numbers because buyers in this segment will not like high NVH.
Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 04:02   #119
Senior - BHPian

The rear design of the city looks great with it's bmw like kicked out tail. The chrome grille on the front looks too bling bling and Honda should have offered it as an option. But overall the design looks great - except for the tyres which as usual look skinny.

Paring the weight down to 1050 kgs odd puts the City in Swift territory with a 117bhp engine. Remains to see whether the "just enough" power approach to the diesel will pay off - I think pricing will be key. If Honda prices it's diesel City the way Toyota has priced it's Corolla diesel, I think sales are not going to be great. Even otherwise it's going to have stiff competition from the verna and the vento diesels.

Great review!

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 07:52   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
No rear disc brakes, only 2 airbags, no ESP. Nothing changed compared to outgoing car except the fact that it's got even lighter.

Comparatively the Verna has better safety kit and the Vento TSI gets ESP as well.
I feel rear disc brakes should have been definitely added.An option of extra airbags and ESP would have been good.But I think its a practical decision as not many people in this segment would pay for that kind of safety kit.

But you can't overlook the fact that City comes with airbags and ABS+EBD in all variants unlike its competitors which is a big thumbs up to safety.

Quote:
Edit: Apart from the above:

Powerful light car with 175 cross section tyre width? 175 tyres on the Swift Vdi was so scary that i went and replaced them the very next day, though i was almost bankrupt. And no i am really not a spirited driver also. I always blamed MUL for doing this, Honda has taken it to a new heights. These are 100 bhp + cars, they need better rubber to be safe! Our roads are no longer slow.
Agree totally about the skinny tires. Not acceptable at all. The only reason is mileage and catch the imagination of FE-obsessed poeple with headline grabbing FE numbers. 185 for the diesel and 195 for the petrol is needed. Tire upgrade is mandatory I feel.

Last edited by adimicra : 19th December 2013 at 07:56.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed