Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2014, 10:20   #2041
Senior - BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetsubhi View Post
.... FIAT Linea as it seems to be the dark horse.

... But surely there super efficient and reliable motor mated to a 185 Ground clearance and a nice interior makes me really tempted to go for it.
The 2014 facelifted Linea was the other strong contender in my list and I was strongly inclined to go for it because of the awesome experience with my Palio which is so well engineered inside out and is a pleasure to drive even after 12 years.
I checked out the new facelifted Linea at the Fiat "Cafe" showroom and it reeked of good quality everywhere and damn well built like as if its cast from a single block.

The only reason didn't go for it is I wanted to get a different experience/feel and try out another brand and felt that driving the same brand again which I have been using for so many years would not give me that new feel. Otherwise the Linea is a gem of a car.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 10th June 2014 at 10:32.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 12:11   #2042
BHPian

Hi Team-BHP

I wanted to post this 2 months back, but had to wait for my membership to be approved. Thanks moderators for making me a part of this awesome forum.

I own a latest generation City iVTec V MT. Soon after first service, I started hearing some grinding sort of noise from front left wheel assembly (as if some parts are rubbing together), which used to occur after running the car for 10-15 KMs, and mostly at lower gears.

On contacting service center, I was requested to leave the car for a day or two so that proper analysis could be done on the problem. I admit I wasn't too brave at this, but since it was the need of the hour, I had to oblige.

On proper diagnosis, they replaced following parts (all under Warranty) -

BRG. CLUTCH RLS
DISK COMP FRICTION
DISK COMP PRESSURE
FRICTION AND/OR PRESSURE DISC

Since then I have driven the car close to 4000 more KMs, and can confirm that the issue has been resolved. I don't hear that annoying noise anymore, and the car is smooth again.

After reading so many similar observations on the forum, I felt like sharing this piece of info, since it might be useful for some.

Regards
Sumit
sumitgovil2311 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 18:36   #2043

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post

Hello Ranjith,

Kindly let us know if the issue resurfaced after this possible workaround you performed .

Also I found a thread related to this topic, honestly I did not go through it completely but Iam sure we would find more information here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...placement.html

cheers,
pdma.
No pdma, issue showed up again after about 40kms of drive and since then I dint use the car. My workaround was a temporary fix. Car is due for first service this week. Let’s hope they have analyzed the issue and have a fix for it.
Ranjit.Shetty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 21:04   #2044
BHPian

It appears that problems are more in the Petrol variant of the City as compared to its diesel sibling. Can anybody throw more light on this?
anilagdr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 03:04   #2045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjit.Shetty View Post
No pdma, issue showed up again after about 40kms of drive and since then I dint use the car. My workaround was a temporary fix. Car is due for first service this week. Let’s hope they have analyzed the issue and have a fix for it.
Thanks for the update , lets see what new the service center would give us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilagdr View Post
It appears that problems are more in the Petrol variant of the City as compared to its diesel sibling. Can anybody throw more light on this?
I might be sounding stupid however is this because of the high engine noise known in diesel versions that possibly people are not able to notice the sound.
However the sound that people are mentioning I guess is more like the "wizzz" sound that comes from the belt which can hardly be missed by regular users. IDTEC owners kindly pitch in with your inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shch View Post
The quality manager at Magnum did not know the part name. He said he has order the belt and also "idle bolt". He was not sure of the part name... he said Idle bolt / idle valve bolt.
Hello shch,

Kindly let us know if the part is replaced and if the issue is fixed. If yes please share the part details as well with us as it might help many others.

cheers,
pdma.
Old 11th June 2014, 14:18   #2046
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post
I might be sounding stupid however is this because of the high engine noise known in diesel versions that possibly people are not able to notice the sound.
However the sound that people are mentioning I guess is more like the "wizzz" sound that comes from the belt which can hardly be missed by regular users. IDTEC owners kindly pitch in with your inputs.
Contrary to its reputation (which it got because of the initial batch of the car which the reviewers got and the dealerships have for test drive are considerably noisier than the production version) , the i-DTEC isn't very noisy at all , till about 2.5k the engine is very refined and quiet (certainly not verna quiet but still) , even with the audio system off , but A/C on (which is anyways in this time of the year) , it is hardly audible , other than this there no kind of wierd noises or anything from the diesel motor and the problem lies only with the petrol version of the car.
Old 11th June 2014, 15:17   #2047

Hi,

Today, I have given my city for the 1st Service & had raised this noise issue as the most serious concern that I was having with the car.

They called me now to say, they need to replace the idler pulley & belt to solve this issue. Worst part is, they don't have stock of these parts & would take 3 to 4 days to order & get it.

My streak of disappointments continue with Honda at every stage: Product, Sales & After Sales.

Seriously regretting my decision to switch from Marvelous Maruti to Hopeless & Horrible Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by shch View Post
Hi,

I raised this topic in the thread before

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3442240

I raised a stinker with Honda last week and they called within 12 hours to check on it.

I have the problem of "dynamo belt" noise and also knocking noise in the engine. The belt noise disappeared when some spray was done at the service centre but it came back in a few days.

The latest update I got today is that this problem is also seen in other cars. They are shipping the part to Bangalore to be replaced.

Well, after seeing this thread, I realize that it is not only me with this problem. It is awfully frustrating to see this quality problem in Honda. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...rustration.gif

The knocking noise makes my car sound like a diesel engine around 2000 rpm. It is very evident at cold start and also at gradients. I drive to work early and since it is silent then, it is very obvious. The noise seems to get less evident when engine gets heated but surely the noise is there. I have told the Honda guys not to make up stories that such a noise is not a concern and it is expected.

The Magnum service head at Kanakapura Road is yet to take an appointment and investigate it thoroughly but looks like they have isolated to some part. It will be interesting to know what this part is. I will get it from the Magnum guys and update the thread.

My biggest concern is the engine knocking noise. The quality manager said the part will fix both the problems but I am hoping it is not a serious engine issue with any long term implications.

Thanks
//Shekar
Old 11th June 2014, 15:46   #2048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
Contrary to its reputation (which it got because of the initial batch of the car which the reviewers got and the dealerships have for test drive are considerably noisier than the production version) , the i-DTEC isn't very noisy at all , till about 2.5k the engine is very refined and quiet (certainly not verna quiet but still) , even with the audio system off , but A/C on (which is anyways in this time of the year) , it is hardly audible , other than this there no kind of wierd noises or anything from the diesel motor and the problem lies only with the petrol version of the car.
Doubt it. Although i agree that the diesel quite refined for low rpm but once you upon the hood it still idles much rougher than the petrol.
The grinding noise we are talking about can be easily masked. I am sure there are lot of owners ( including petrol) who are not aware /do not care about this issue.

Update: I cannot hear the belt noise for a few days now.
So in my case it went like this:
New car ( consistent noise when engine bay hot )-> Belt replaced ( Noise disappeared) -> Car parked for a long time ( noise reappears ) -> Car used for a few day ( noise disappears ).

May be since the car was parked for a long time there was dust on the belt which caused belt slip leading to the sound.
If the noise does not appear for a long time then may be belt replacement solves the issue.
Old 11th June 2014, 16:59   #2049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkarthik106 View Post
They called me now to say, they need to replace the idler pulley & belt to solve this issue. Worst part is, they don't have stock of these parts & would take 3 to 4 days to order & get it.

My streak of disappointments continue with Honda at every stage: Product, Sales & After Sales.

Seriously regretting my decision to switch from Marvelous Maruti to Hopeless & Horrible Honda
We can understand your plight and our heartfelt sympathies. Honda has spoiled your happiness of owning a new car. This was not expected from Honda. What happened to the Japanese reliability and quality? Did Honda rush for the City launch, compromising on quality and reliability?

Now that the issue and root cause is known, they should have stocked all their dealers with enough belts and idler pulleys. Are they just keen on pushing the sales, completely ignoring the after sales?

Honda needs to answer these serious questions. Honda, please take utmost care of your new City customers and their issues, else it won't take much time for the Indian customer to bring you down from the high pedestal that you are currently enjoying.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 11th June 2014 at 17:02.
Old 11th June 2014, 20:11   #2050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkarthik106 View Post

This is a real bad feedback of its flagship product from a genuine new customer. Those are words wrapped in utmost disappointment that comes from a person who has shelled out a million bucks for his car. Now sit up and notice Honda, else ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
May be since the car was parked for a long time there was dust on the belt which caused belt slip leading to the sound.
If the noise does not appear for a long time then may be belt replacement solves the issue.
Could it by any chance be a bearing fault?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Honda has spoiled your happiness of owning a new car. This was not expected from Honda.

Honda needs to answer these serious questions. Honda, please take utmost care of your new City customers and their issues, else it won't take much time for the Indian customer to bring you down from the high pedestal that you are currently enjoying.
+1 to that. Is there any inside news from Honda?
Old 11th June 2014, 21:57   #2051
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Doubt it. Although i agree that the diesel quite refined for low rpm but once you upon the hood it still idles much rougher than the petrol.
The grinding noise we are talking about can be easily masked. I am sure there are lot of owners ( including petrol) who are not aware /do not care about this issue.
I checked specifically for belt noise on the I-DTEC but could not hear anything. Also, I was seeing the pictures of both the engines in the brochure (can also be viewed here: URL) and the way the belt is routed is different on the Diesel and the Petrol which means they are not identical in this aspect.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 21:02   #2052
BHPian

Fellow Team BHPIANs
Does any body know that like with FIAT DDiS engine does Honda engine also have a auto tuning metal belt mechanism ?
Old 13th June 2014, 00:28   #2053
BHPian

Guys with manual petrol. Any petrol consumption updates?
Old 13th June 2014, 09:33   #2054

Its been a month since I've been driving my 2014 City CVT (SV trim). I thought this makes for perfect timing to share some of my thoughts on the new CVT engine fuel economy. This might be of particular interest to folks sitting on the fence thinking about taking the plunge with CVT.

- Daily office use to ITPL-Whitefield hasn't yielded as much mileage I expected it to yield - ranges from 9.5-10.5kmpl (with AC on all the time). Initially I was driving in D mode with ECON on. Barring the technicalities, I think there isn't much of an impact on the fuel economy. So eventually I dropped the ECON idea and have been driving in the D mode of late. Must say, the engine performance in this mode is pretty good and the car has no trouble zipping through.

- Yesterday was the first time I got a chance to test the engine on a longer stretch when we went to the KIA airport. I had 2 passengers (including myself) while going and 3 while returning. The airport is about 48kms from my house and the number of vehicles plying was fairly minimum since it was at 11:30pm. All in all, near highway-like conditions. What I saw was some pretty impressive numbers. The MID returned a solid 19.2kmpl over the 95km roundtrip journey. What's more, it showed 20.8kmpl at the end of the one-way journey from my home to the airport.

- I will get a chance to test it out on actual highways this weekend and will be reporting those numbers.

Overall, while there is little else to complain about the car, I am interested to see how the real-life city commuting numbers settle down once I get my first service done next week.

Cheerios
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-photo-1.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-photo.jpg  

Old 13th June 2014, 09:57   #2055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilagdr View Post
Thanks Adarsh for sharing these details. Could you pls PM me the address & Phone no. of the car accessories shop? What are ALP 3D mats? Is it a brand like Kagu or digifit?
Anil - The telephone number for Car Shoppe is 0471 329 1616. Located in the near Sreekariyam (Salem - Kanyakumari Highway). I have never heard of 3D ALP mats but they had only this, it seems to be of good quality.They have a website as well

http://www.alpoverseas.com/tab1.php?...D%20CAR%20MATS

Stuck with work and hence could not write a detailed review on my VX CVT.

I'm every bit enjoying the car and the additional features in the VX trim are really pleasing.

Coming to the FE part, my usage is 50-50 in highway and city but the driving conditions are close to 75% city driving as there are frequent blocks in the highway (mind that Trivandrum still have only 2 lane highways, thanks to our great politicians). The average FE had touched a maximum of 14.2 km/l in these conditions as per MID and settled at 11.2 km/l today on a distance of 103.5 kms during the last reset trip. ECON mode always off. For me, this is a great FE for a new car. I was expecting under 10.

The last average full to full method returned 9.3 kms/l with the MID showing 8.7 km/l. This is not accurate enough since I had filled the petrol in 2 separate occasions. Also, its too early to comment on FE as my car has just run 382 kms so far.

Performance part, I was really surprised seeing the Automatic generating so much power. Enough power for overtaking. I have never switched to 'S' mode or used paddle shifters till now. To be precise there is a steep stretch enough to slow down vehicles after Infosys building and Margin Free Hypermarket towards Trivandrum where I was comfortably able to overtake a Vento.

What I understood from the CVT gearbox behaviour is that to be light on the accelerator and this will return very good power than we expect. This might not work with adrenaline rush drivers . Also, if you anticipate a braking, take your pedal of the accelerator which can return a good FE (instantaneous mileage displays the maximum when you take the foot off, which is same for all cars) instead of harsh braking.

Hope all CVT owners drive in the same way and this might help.

There was a lot of discussion on the whizzing engine noise. I have never heard or experienced so far. Any new car, is bound to have some slight problems (internationally as well. You might me knowing what happened to Toyota in US). Whatever, you will be able to repair under warranty. This same sound I have in my Wagon R after replacing clutch. The sound will disappear if I slightly touch the clutch. But the great Maruti Service is not able to rectify it so far (both Bangalore and Trivandrum). Squarely blaming Honda here is not fair I guess. Even I had some kind of frequent engine noises in my Accent which Hyundai service was not able to rectify.

Last edited by adarsh76 : 13th June 2014 at 10:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks