Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2014, 10:18   #2056
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek82 View Post
Its been a month since I've been driving my 2014 City CVT (SV trim). I thought this makes for perfect timing to share some of my thoughts on the new CVT engine fuel economy. This might be of particular interest to folks sitting on the fence thinking about taking the plunge with CVT.

- Daily office use to ITPL-Whitefield hasn't yielded as much mileage I expected it to yield - ranges from 9.5-10.5kmpl (with AC on all the time). Initially I was driving in D mode with ECON on. Barring the technicalities, I think there isn't much of an impact on the fuel economy. So eventually I dropped the ECON idea and have been driving in the D mode of late. Must say, the engine performance in this mode is pretty good and the car has no trouble zipping through.

- Yesterday was the first time I got a chance to test the engine on a longer stretch when we went to the KIA airport. I had 2 passengers (including myself) while going and 3 while returning. The airport is about 48kms from my house and the number of vehicles plying was fairly minimum since it was at 11:30pm. All in all, near highway-like conditions. What I saw was some pretty impressive numbers. The MID returned a solid 19.2kmpl over the 95km roundtrip journey. What's more, it showed 20.8kmpl at the end of the one-way journey from my home to the airport.

- I will get a chance to test it out on actual highways this weekend and will be reporting those numbers.

Overall, while there is little else to complain about the car, I am interested to see how the real-life city commuting numbers settle down once I get my first service done next week.

Cheerios
Cheers Abhishek. Great to know the FE. But more than the FE, you might be enjoying the convenience of an Automatic in Bangalore I believe . Was there till Jan 2013 and know how the traffic is.
Old 13th June 2014, 10:25   #2057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Guys with manual petrol. Any petrol consumption updates?
I have completed 6200 Km on IVTEC VMT where my daily commute comprises with a mix of both bumper to bumper as well as highway like condition at almost 1:1 ratio. I try to use Cruise mode whenever possible, and have been light on the accelerator with occasional spirited driving.
On an average I am getting a healthy mileage of around 16-16.5 km/l without AC, and slightly less that that around 15 km/l with AC set to Auto mode at 24 degrees
sumitgovil2311 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 12:52   #2058
BHPian

Quote:
Well my 20 days old SV MT iVTEC is giving me between 13-14km/l in Bangalore with A/C on mostly in bumper to bumper traffic. Haven't yet got any chance to stretch her out on the highway.

Cheers
CapnCook is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 17:28   #2059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
Anil - The telephone number for Car Shoppe is 0471 329 1616. Located in the near Sreekariyam (Salem - Kanyakumari Highway). I have never heard of 3D ALP mats but they had only this, it seems to be of good quality.They have a website as well

http://www.alpoverseas.com/tab1.php?...D%20CAR%20MATS
Thanksfor sharing that link & info. Last week I visited the dealer Perfect Honda and they showed me a 3d mat which was quite good. Cost 2750/-
Nice to learn you are enjoying your ride.
Old 13th June 2014, 19:13   #2060

My City SV MT Petrol that has clocked around 1000kms is averaging around 13kmpl mostly in Bangalore city with AC, without AC the figure had gone upto 14.5kmpl
Old 13th June 2014, 21:06   #2061
BHPian

Quote:
I have done around 1300 KMs till date. The FE on the MID shows 11.3 KMs. This would be 80:20 in terms of City Vs. Highway although all the Highway that has been is within Mumbai City so the highway stretches have not been more than 15-20 Kms. Haven't yet gone out for a long highway drive.

The FE now seems to be settling somewhere between 12-12.5 for City driving although bumper to bumper city driving brings down the FE anywhere between 9-9.5.

Last two tank full to tank full method came to 12.0 & 11.9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCook View Post
Well my 20 days old SV MT iVTEC is giving me between 13-14km/l in Bangalore with A/C on mostly in bumper to bumper traffic. Haven't yet got any chance to stretch her out on the highway.

Cheers
You must really be having the most sedate driving style . But I still can't believe that the City Petrol Manual can give an average of over 12 within City in Bumper to bumper traffic.
Old 14th June 2014, 13:06   #2062

Query on Reverse Camera

The Sales rep at Honda Told me that the reverse parking camera does not work in Dark Conditions where as the review here says and shows the picture where it is Dark. Can you confirm if it was totally dark or something like twilight condition.
Old 14th June 2014, 16:02   #2063

Quote:
My city ivtec has run 2800km. In Delhi rush hour traffic its giving me 11-12kmpl (MID). However I have also experienced an overall mileage of 17.5 on a wonderful four lane highway.
Old 14th June 2014, 18:20   #2064

Quote:
Originally Posted by noddy308 View Post
The Sales rep at Honda Told me that the reverse parking camera does not work in Dark Conditions where as the review here says and shows the picture where it is Dark. Can you confirm if it was totally dark or something like twilight condition.
The camera works satisfactorily at pitch dark nights also with the help of tail lights and whatever ambient light is available.
ajayps77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2014, 21:32   #2065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitgovil2311 View Post
... I try to use Cruise mode whenever possible, and have been light on the accelerator with occasional spirited driving.
I did a 250 KM round trip used cruise control at stretches. Got an average FE of 23.1 (Diesel variant).
I noticed that the Fuel efficiency actually dropped whenever the cruise control was active, especially when the road is not even and has gentle climbs and slopes over long stretches. The drop takes place when the cruise control opens the throttle to maintain the set speed. I found manual control to be more efficient.

Its not that I'm obsessive about fuel efficiency in any way as i'm used to a petrol car with 65% efficiency of the Diesel City, but just exploring
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2014, 15:39   #2066
Geo
BHPian

Interesting figures all around Mine is 1 week old petrol city, 135 kms done so far. FF hangs around 8.9 to 9.3 kmpl.
Old 15th June 2014, 16:39   #2067
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
I did a 250 KM round trip used cruise control at stretches. Got an average FE of 23.1 (Diesel variant).
I noticed that the Fuel efficiency actually dropped whenever the cruise control was active, especially when the road is not even and has gentle climbs and slopes over long stretches. The drop takes place when the cruise control opens the throttle to maintain the set speed. I found manual control to be more efficient.
)
Spot on. Cruise Control gives maximum economy on a flat road. If the road has plenty of flyovers or inclines and declines, manual throttle modulation is the more efficient way to drive.

Also, it is a revelation as to just how much throttle modulation we actually do on a daily basis, the first time someone drives on such a road with cruise engaged. You suddenly realize you are approaching that curve too fast or are climbing up that incline with too much gas, as a set speed is being maintained and nothing equivalent to 'taking your foot off the throttle' is happening.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 15th June 2014 at 16:41.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2014, 17:17   #2068
BHPian

Booked a vx manual yesterday. Have no clue when it will come though. What about tyres. What size are you guys going for and which make?
Old 15th June 2014, 18:54   #2069
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

I am back home after a 6467 km roadtrip over 17 days covering 8 Indian states in my Honda City VX i-DTEC. We didn't face any problems with the City at all, not even a puncture. Its supremely comfortable and even though we did 700-800 kms on a daily basis with close to 300-350 kms at a stretch, not even once did any of the occupants complained of discomfort. It also returned an overall fuel efficiency figure of over 20 kpl in the entire trip.

After clocking up so many kms and spending quite a lot of time with the City, I have only three words that describes the City i-DTEC the best: very reliable, supremely comfortable and extremely frugal.
//M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2014, 19:44   #2070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
I am back home after a 6467 km roadtrip over 17 days covering 8 Indian states in my Honda City VX i-DTEC. We didn't face any problems with the City at all, not even a puncture. Its supremely comfortable and even though we did 700-800 kms on a daily basis with close to 300-350 kms at a stretch, not even once did any of the occupants complained of discomfort. It also returned an overall fuel efficiency figure of over 20 kpl in the entire trip.

After clocking up so many kms and spending quite a lot of time with the City, I have only three words that describes the City i-DTEC the best: very reliable, supremely comfortable and extremely frugal.
Wow!

That really brings up the confidence level on the i-Dtec too. How many people were travelling when you say no one complained of any discomfort and what age group.

I am guessing max 4 people must have travelled and must all have been less than 40 at least.

Most Viewed