Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2014, 09:23   #2101
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Did any of the users get any absurd FE difference between MID & Tank To Tank method?

This is the first such instance that I have had after 3-4 refills that I have checked.

The MID showed an FE of 12.2 over 336 KMs which would translate to approx. 27.5 Ltrs of Petrol. I asked the Petrol Pump Attendant to full the tank. I was there the whole time while the petrol was being filled and filled it only till it auto-stops. No forceful addition of petrol. It filled in 29.9 Ltrs petrol which translates to an FE of 11.2.

A difference of 0.1 to 0.3 in FE can still be understood. A difference of 1 in FE which translates to 2.4 Ltrs of Petrol is in my opinion a bit absurd.

Two possible options:

1. The MID is behaving Absurd
2. The Petrol Pump Meter was rigged
Old 22nd June 2014, 11:09   #2102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
Did any of the users get any absurd FE difference between MID & Tank To Tank method?

This is the first such instance that I have had after 3-4 refills that I have checked.

The MID showed an FE of 12.2 over 336 KMs which would translate to approx. 27.5 Ltrs of Petrol. I asked the Petrol Pump Attendant to full the tank. I was there the whole time while the petrol was being filled and filled it only till it auto-stops. No forceful addition of petrol. It filled in 29.9 Ltrs petrol which translates to an FE of 11.2.

A difference of 0.1 to 0.3 in FE can still be understood. A difference of 1 in FE which translates to 2.4 Ltrs of Petrol is in my opinion a bit absurd.

Two possible options:

It actually makes sense when compared to my observations though I don't own a Honda City. In my 2012 Jetta and 2013 Rapid I get about 0.91*MID reading as the tankful to tankful FE. So your MID reading might be fine.

Last edited by shivasuma : 22nd June 2014 at 11:10.
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2014, 11:36   #2103
BHPian

Quote:

Two possible options:

This can also occur due to an early auto stop due to the frothing factor. In your case here, It could be that this time while filling, there would have been a later auto stop causing more fuel to enter until it reaches an auto stop. Frothing occurs mostly due to a lethargic filling technique. If its filled similar to a beer into a mug, I am sure you will manage to fill a couple of liters more than a care free technique. (Petrol does not froth as much as the diesel do).

You can try this in your next two fills. Take care that the next two fills to auto stops are done smooth and slow reducing the frothing. Probably you will see a reduced difference in the MID reading and manual calculation.

Last edited by connect2prashan : 22nd June 2014 at 11:38.
connect2prashan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2014, 12:19   #2104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2prashan View Post
This can also occur due to an early auto stop due to the frothing factor. In your case here, It could be that this time while filling, there would have been a later auto stop causing more fuel to enter until it reaches an auto stop. Frothing occurs mostly due to a lethargic filling technique. If its filled similar to a beer into a mug, I am sure you will manage to fill a couple of liters more than a care free technique. (Petrol does not froth as much as the diesel do).

You can try this in your next two fills. Take care that the next two fills to auto stops are done smooth and slow reducing the frothing. Probably you will see a reduced difference in the MID reading and manual calculation.
That seems to be a logical explanation but then again, I have been filling at the same Gas Station and in the same way. Same way meaning the Attendant would attach the nozzle and just go away and let the auto stop do the work, and would come back and just remove the nozzle without trying to put in any additional petrol. Also the last time i filled up the tank was just 11 days ago and almost the same time of the day.
Old 22nd June 2014, 12:57   #2105
BANNED

Quote:
Two possible options:

I too had a difference of 0.7 to 0.9 kmpl between the MID and tank full calculation initially, though I don't own an Honda City but a Swift ZDi.

Do you reset the Average FE in the MID every full tank, that will give you nearest reading for that full tank and not have a reference of the earlier tank full. I make it a habit to reset the trip meter and average FE every full tank after I note down the readings.

Can you try it out if this helps?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2prashan View Post
This can also occur due to an early auto stop due to the frothing factor.
This is one of the main issues I have noticed in fuel filling be it petrol or diesel.

What the attendant does is puts the dispenser inside the filler and starts filling, now there are 3 points on the dispenser that vary by speed of filling. In the below image look for the number - 41 & 43.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-65850140large.jpg

SOURCE: Google.

The image that I have used is for illustration purpose. The dispensers that we see at filling stations have three locking points (Like 43, 41).

The fuel will dispense slower rate when the latch (No.: 35) is set on locking point No.: 43 causing lesser frothing with fuel filled at constant rate but it is faster filling when the latch is locked at point No.: 41 (in this case more frothing).

As speed is higher vapour's generated is higher so the auto-lock will sense that the tank has filled and filling will stop at an earlier stage. Slower filling will not have vapour build-up.

Quote:
That seems to be a logical explanation but then again, I have been filling at the same Gas Station and in the same way.
Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2014, 13:07   #2106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Do you reset the Average FE in the MID every full tank, that will give you nearest reading for that full tank and not have a reference of the earlier tank full. I make it a habit to reset the trip meter and average FE every full tank after I note down the readings.

Can you try it out if this helps?!

This is one of the main issues I have noticed in fuel filling be it petrol or diesel.

What the attendant does is puts the dispenser inside the filler and starts filling, now there are 3 points on the dispenser that vary by speed of filling. In the below image look for the number - 41 & 43.

Attachment 1252619

SOURCE: Google.

The image that I have used is for illustration purpose. The dispensers that we see at filling stations have three locking points (Like 43, 41).

The fuel will dispense slower rate when the latch (No.: 35) is set on locking point No.: 43 causing lesser frothing with fuel filled at constant rate but it is faster filling when the latch is locked at point No.: 41 (in this case more frothing).

As speed is higher vapour's generated is higher so the auto-lock will sense that the tank has filled and filling will stop at an earlier stage. Slower filling will not have vapour build-up.

Anurag.
Yes. I reset the MID everytime i do a tankful, so its much easier to get a reference. But the problem only came this time. Last 3 to 4 times the reading has been between .1 to .3 kmpl accuracy with MID. This time somehow the difference shot up to 1 kmpl. Hence a little apprehensive.

Thanks for the pictorial representation. It could be the case as the last time when i was filling up the gas station was overloaded with vehicles and this time around there were very few. So the filling up speed might be different both the time around.
Old 22nd June 2014, 13:10   #2107
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks for the pictorial representation. It could be the case as the last time when i was filling up the gas station was overloaded with vehicles and this time around there were very few. So the filling up speed might be different both the time around.
So to prevent customers waiting at the fuel station the attendants would have filled fuel at higher speed to avoid pile-up.

Try filling slowly and see if the problem repeats or no.

Anurag.
Old 22nd June 2014, 23:31   #2108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
.... Its supremely comfortable and even though we did 700-800 kms on a daily basis with close to 300-350 kms at a stretch, not even once did any of the occupants complained of discomfort. ...

.... I have only three words that describes the City i-DTEC the best: very reliable, supremely comfortable and extremely frugal.
+1 Absolutely agree, currently there is no other C2 segment car that is anywhere near in comfort levels.

Took it on a 750 KM drive and the diesel doesn't require frequent gear shifts as well. Pulls really well even in 5th gear for overtaking manoeuvres. Makes quick work of overtaking with just a tap on the pedal.
After hearing reports of mediocre highway performance, I was pleasantly surprised at the power on tap at higher speeds. Power seems to be more than sufficient to make short work of journeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
... Will be regularly driving in highway.
Have you upgraded the tyres or kept stock?
How is the GC?
How does the car ride on the highway?
Its very stable with no noticeable body roll, I could confidently corner it at triple digit speeds ( tried upto 110 ish on curves)
GC at 165 mm is the same as the outgoing(refreshed) 2013 model, however the stiff suspension and the re-designed underside has positively translated into very practical clearance, doesn't bottom out even with full load. On one occasion so far, the front plastic cladding between the front wheels has touched during a depression in the road (like an inverted bump)

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
The GC is excellent, it did scrape its underbelly a couple of times in the bad potholed roads in the Chattisgarh-Odisha border but overall the GC is surprisingly good and it gobbled up some huge speedbreakers with ease.

The highway stability is good and I am sure with 195 section tires it will be even better.
I've found the stock tyres at 175mm adequate enough, I agree more the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
Also, due to the stiff suspension, I feel my Dzire has a better suspension setup for the dirty Mumbai roads ...
All in all, loving the car and surely a good upgrade from my earlier SX4 (ZXI).
The suspension is definitely on the stiffer side to prevent it from bottoming out. More felt at slower speeds, feels better at higher speeds and translates to very low body roll and stability.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 22nd June 2014 at 23:35.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 23:24   #2109
BHPian

2500 KM Update

1- Finally upgraded my audio system , got a 4channel amp , components in all 4 doors (Damping on front doors and boot) and a 12 inch sub (in a ported enclosure) (A huge improvement over the stock audio and i'm more than satisfied for now)
2-The car is constantly returning 13-14 km/l on an average now. (Diesel)
3-After some enthusiastic driving today , i was throughly impressed with its stability on uneven roads at high speeds , body roll was well in control too and the handling felt very impressive overall (thanks to my 205 section tyres which grip really very well at high speeds)
4-Revving beyond 3400 rpm is pointless , tried in 4th today and the progress felt very little beyond that. (Noise levels were still way less than the test drive vehicle even at high RPMs)
Old 24th June 2014, 17:49   #2110
BHPian

Hello Mates
Today I booked Silver City SV MT from Courtesy Honda, Okhla, New Delhi.
Was a nice experience as they came to my office to provide the booking booklet and collect cash. Deal was very clean.
Car should be delivered in a week.
Will keep you all updated.
Harpreet
Old 24th June 2014, 18:17   #2111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetsubhi View Post
Hello Mates
Was a nice experience as they came to my office to provide the booking booklet and collect cash. Deal was very clean.
Harpreet
Congrats Harpreet. After your Ford experience, hope you enjoy many years of trouble free ownership.
satan's_valet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 20:02   #2112
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetsubhi View Post
Hello Mates
Harpreet
Congratulations Harpreet.

Good to see happy days starting from now on with the Honda as you have suffered enough with the lemon that Ford gifted you in the form of an EcoSport.

Wish you long and happy miles with the Honda.

A question, have you booked diesel or a petrol?

All the best.

Anurag.
Old 25th June 2014, 15:31   #2113
BHPian

Got my City SV CVT delivered yesterday. Will post a report in a few days. My second new car delivery in 2 weeks. First was a Tata Nano Twist and now City
Old 25th June 2014, 16:28   #2114
BHPian

Guys, Has anybody tried installing Blaupunkt san diego 530 audio system in their city?

If so, could you please provide your feedback?
Old 25th June 2014, 17:23   #2115

Quote:
Tejas, I think those are really low values of FE that you're getting, and I think you should attribute that to the change of tyres.

After reading the forum posts, I was in two minds about replacing tyres since that was highly recommended here. I had even inquired with TyreX in Mulund for the quotes. However, on the day of delivery, I changed my mind and decided to go with the stock tyres. Now, I am getting FE of around 14 for the start and I am sure that will rise as the engines frees up.
coolguy_tej is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed