Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2014, 09:22   #2236
BHPian

Honda City : Official Review

Now that the monsoons are almost here, am curious to know about the car's ability to tackle water logging. This is going to be my first monsoon in Gurgaon and I'm told water logging is common during these times, and hence the question. Prima facie, the car's air intake appears to be fairly high up, plus there is a protective sheet underneath which should shield splashing by vehicles passing by. So what height of water can it handle?
Old 13th July 2014, 11:01   #2237
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

We booked a Diesel V on 30.05 from Solitaire, Mumbai, and were promised delivery in July. Now the sales team leader tells me that some Honda plant has shifted and hence they will tell only in August when car may be expected, so even August is not confirmed. This information too I got only after complaining to Honda toll free number.

Was thinking of shifting to Hyundai Verna 2014 but not sure of it's highway capabilities. My monthly 1500 km run includes 50% highway running. I am currently very happy with my SX4 Zxi and that is the benchmark for me.

How does the Verna handle vis a vis the SX4 and the City?

I think the Fiesta is also good VFM but we have owned an Ikon earlier and would not like to repeat. Have never owned Hyundai or Honda.

In short, is the wait for the City worth it?
Old 13th July 2014, 11:12   #2238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
We booked a Diesel V on 30.05 from Solitaire, Mumbai, and were promised delivery in July. Now the sales team leader tells me that some Honda plant has shifted and hence they will tell only in August when car may be expected, so even August is not confirmed. This information too I got only after complaining to Honda toll free number.

Was thinking of shifting to Hyundai Verna 2014 but not sure of it's highway capabilities. My monthly 1500 km run includes 50% highway running. I am currently very happy with my SX4 Zxi and that is the benchmark for me.

I think the Fiesta is also good VFM but we have owned an Ikon earlier and would not like to repeat. Have never owned Hyundai or Honda.

In short I would like to say that City is worth a wait. I'll pour in more details as soon as I get some time.
harpreetsubhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 12:01   #2239
BANNED

Quote:
The newer generation Verna has improved over the boat like handling earlier. Hyundai has made some changes to the suspension to get rid of that boat-like ride.

A worthy contender I must say. Take the Verna for a long TD you'll understand whether it better than the City or no.

Quote:
In short, YES. Worth the wait IF you can wait.

Anurag.
Old 13th July 2014, 12:38   #2240
BHPian

Planning to go for i-DTEC Version SV or i-DTEC Version V. I am not a fan of alloy wheels and blinkers in ORVM. But for these the only things I miss in SV compared to V are

1. Fog Lamps
2. Rear Camera.

In case I need SV...
As I am a fan of Navigation the dealer suggests that he will remove the existing audio of SV and the small glossy panel (his offer for taking it is a meager 2000) fix Blapunkt Sandiego 530 with a new Matt black panel and fix a reverse camera with parking guidelines in the bumper for 35K.

I am not sure if this idea will be good and if it will look good.

I would appreciate the view of BHPians using the All New City like RavenAvi, Wilful, Geo, neel911 and others.

Another Question to SV i-DTEC owners: Of the two keys is only one having the keyless entry controls (the other one is a plain key with no provision for keyless entry)?

Seran

Last edited by Seran Manian : 13th July 2014 at 12:45. Reason: Some thing added
Old 13th July 2014, 12:40   #2241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I will say Don't. After dealing with Honda dealer I don't trust them anymore. Take it in writing or contact some other dealer but don't wait until you get absolute guarantee of delivery date.
Old 13th July 2014, 12:48   #2242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
Planning to go for i-DTEC Version SV or i-DTEC Version V.

In case I need SV...
As I am a fan of Navigation the dealer suggests that he will remove the existing audio of SV and the small glossy panel (his offer for taking it is a meager 2000) fix Blapunkt Sandiego 530 with a new Matt black panel and fix a reverse camera with parking guidelines in the bumper for 35K.

Seran
Buddy do not go for Blaupunkt. It's got bad reviews. Cant remember where I read it but you can Google it. For navigation why don't you get it installed separately.

Mods kindly merge my posts as not able to do so via mobile.
Old 13th July 2014, 12:51   #2243
BHPian

Last week I got a chance to have a closer look at all new Honda City. I must say, the car is a looker and a perfectly packaged product to grab sedan buyer's attention.

I had a look at it as an automobile manufacturing engineer's perspective and I must say how a brand/badge value can change opinion of car buyers. Following are some observations on the car,

1. The missing trim on the tail gate inner (this has been already highlighted by GTO). How much money Honda can save from omitting this pad?
2. Wrinkles on sealing beads on almost all doors sealing.
3. Clear coat painting only on exterior surfaces.
4. Multiple paint run downs on tail gate. etc.

I am sure, if we find these things on an Indian product, we would have treated it different.

This post is not intended to hurt feelings of existing/prospective Honda City buyers. Just thought to share the observations.
Old 13th July 2014, 17:13   #2244
Geo
BHPian

Quote:
1. Fog Lamps
2. Rear Camera.

In case I need SV...
Sorry, I do not know about the Blapunkt unit. I had enquired at the Honda accessory shop, and they said they have a 9" console to replace the stock ICE unit. They quoted around 30k without navigation and around 40k with navigation. This unit has reverse camera also. (From my memory, figure could be a little up or down). They said they don't buy back the stock ICE. They advised to sell it outside.

Honda accessories quoted around 8k for fixing reverse camera on SV. And fog-lamps will not be much. The feature I miss from V is electronically foldable ORVM.

Quote:
Another Question to SV i-DTEC owners: Of the two keys is only one having the keyless entry controls (the other one is a plain key with no provision for keyless entry)?
For SV IVTEC, only the master key has remote switches. But the sales guy told me that I can use the spare key on the door and it will unlock. Haven't tried this yet.
Old 13th July 2014, 17:31   #2245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakv View Post
..... 2 people having this issue in Mumbai purchased at different times from different dealers..... :(
Hope its not the Sun Roof that is leaking in these reported cases.
Although modern Sun-Roof design is quite robust and should ensure that water won't leak in, I was apprehensive of the leaks when the car ages, say 4 to 5 years down the line and went for V model for this reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetsubhi View Post
Hello Mates

Well the NVH level has been considerably improved. Even when are outside the car after you start the car, the level of noise has been considerably improved. It matches the NVH levels of Swift DDiS for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
Yes , Like i've said a number of times in this thread , the noise levels are dramatically lower than that of the TD car , and in day to day usage the engine noise won't be bothersome at all and it even feels quieter than my Cruze which is noticeably louder at lower RPMs ........ .
Even I've been pleasantly surprised to observe that the Diesel engine sound is very less compared to the Honda city Test Drive car.
I had an impression earlier that the Honda Earth Dreams Engine is loud after being fed by the auto-reviews. So the other day I had to get out of the car after parking leaving the engine running and opened the bonnet to assure myself the sound is indeed on the lower side. The engine was just idling with a smooth and muffled low sound. It is definitely lower than most diesel cars. I have mostly gone upto 2.8K rpm so far.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 13th July 2014 at 17:36.
Old 13th July 2014, 19:48   #2246
BHPian

Quote:

Depends on what kind of car you are looking for. Petrol or Diesel. If you're looking for a performance oriented Petrol Car, Ford Fiesta is the topper mainly due to its ride and handling. Honda City is a clear all rounder with lots of space and a balanced ride and handling (not up to Linea or Fiesta).

For Diesel, Performance wise Linea is the best. Verna 2014, you need to test drive it to see the handling but it has the most quietest diesel engine. Not sure about Skoda Rapid. Honda City, yet another all rounder.

If you're looking for a family sedan do no look beyond Honda City in this segment.
Old 13th July 2014, 20:11   #2247
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Now that the monsoons are almost here, am curious to know about the car's ability to tackle water logging.
I have driven my iDTEC in knee deep water, and I had absolutely no issues.

However, one of the two rivets that hold the front number plate(HSRP) broke off and now the number plate is dangling from the right side. This was not expected, as the bumper proved full-length support behind the number plate. Need to get this fixed
Old 13th July 2014, 20:17   #2248
BHPian

Booked Golden brown city SV CVT. Expected delivery is within 2 months.
Old 13th July 2014, 21:27   #2249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk28 View Post
Were all the accessories you listed were purchased online ? Whom did you get them fixed with?
I installed the accessories at No fear(underground) Balmatta.
some of the accessories from ebay which i have already posted previously with link to seller page

Quote:
2. Rear Camera.
Blapunkt Sandiego 530 with a new Matt black panel and fix a reverse camera with parking guidelines in the bumper for 35K.

Seran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Honda accessories quoted around 8k for fixing reverse camera on SV.
I have installed Pioneer AVH-X5690BT double din touchscreen HU with built in bluetooth and Pioneer steering remote with Infinity components for rear door and Pioneer coaxial and JBL tweeters for front door
Reverse camera and sensor 2 in 1 above rear number plate (no need to drill or make holes in the rear bumper)

The Pioneer AVH-X5690BT head unit cost Rs 22,000/- with bill and warranty
Steering remote Rs 1,200/-
Reverse camera with built in sensor Rs 3,500/-
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20140713_203605.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20140713_211328.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20140713_203514.jpg  

Old 13th July 2014, 21:34   #2250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations!

Actually, the City production has been shifted from Greater Noida to Tapukara, which might cause a slight delay in delivery time.

Quote:
Yes, it is absolutely worth it.

Quote:
Planning to go for i-DTEC Version SV or i-DTEC Version V.
Go for the VMT. It is worth the extra moolah, trust me.

Quote:
In case I need SV...
Bad idea, if you ask me. The stock HU of the VMT is pretty good and reliable.

Quote:
Yes. The SV MT comes with only one key with buttons, while the V MT has both keys with buttons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Hope its not the Sun Roof that is leaking in these reported cases.
Although modern Sun-Roof design is quite robust and should ensure that water won't leak in, I was apprehensive of the leaks when the car ages, say 4 to 5 years down the line and went for V model for this reason.
Exactly the same reason why I changed from VX to V, in the end. Apprehensions about the sunroof, it's reliability during the rainy season, and the clogging of water drainage channels of the sunroof side panels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Even I've been pleasantly surprised to observe that the Diesel engine sound is very less compared to the Honda city Test Drive car.

The engine was just idling with a smooth and muffled low sound. It is definitely lower than most diesel cars. I have mostly gone upto 2.8K rpm so far.
They have definitely worked on the NVH aspect. The car is pretty quiet till 2500 RPM, after which it becomes vocal. Clatter is still very much present and filters into the cabin though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsk2009 View Post
Booked Golden brown city SV CVT. Expected delivery is within 2 months.
Congratulations, vsk! Have the prices been hiked, compared to last month (June 2014)?
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed