Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2014, 19:32   #2296
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfire2892 View Post
I read about pressurization here, perhaps this will explain better
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-p...ock-brake1.htm

But ABS decides does not attaches and deattaches by split second, this is decided by speed sensors which tell the system which tyre is about to lock up. This is also the reason why tyre size change by larger % messes up ABS because speed sensors are not calibrated properly.
Exactly what I said. Checked the link as well. There is no pressurization/depressurization of the tyre but on the brake of the tyre to reduce or increase the break force on that tyre. Quoting from the link over here :

The ABS controller knows that such a rapid deceleration is impossible, so it reduces the pressure to that brake until it sees an acceleration, then it increases the pressure until it sees the deceleration again. It can do this very quickly, before the tire can actually significantly change speed. The result is that the tire slows down at the same rate as the car, with the brakes keeping the tires very near the point at which they will start to lock up. This gives the system maximum braking power.
Old 15th July 2014, 19:47   #2297
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfire2892 View Post

I read about pressurization here, perhaps this will explain better.

But ABS decides does not attaches and deattaches by split second, this is decided by speed sensors which tell the system which tyre is about to lock up.
This point that you have mentioned of tyres pressuring is NOT correct.

A logical thought sir,

As you say that the tyres de-pressurise on brake application, how would the tyres re-pressurise themselves?

Don't you need an air inlet?

The link that you gave says that the ABS controller pressurises and de-pressurises the system continuously allowing the driver to steer and also depending on wheel speed to prevent locking.

The hydraulics pressurise / de-pressurise.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 20:46   #2298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
This point that you have mentioned of tyres pressuring is NOT correct.

A logical thought sir,

As you say that the tyres de-pressurise on brake application, how would the tyres re-pressurise themselves?

Don't you need an air inlet?

The link that you gave says that the ABS controller pressurises and de-pressurises the system continuously allowing the driver to steer and also depending on wheel speed to prevent locking.

The hydraulics pressurise / de-pressurise.

Anurag.
The language i used was wrong, i'm sorry about that. I meant about hydraulics only
Old 16th July 2014, 00:59   #2299
BHPian

Dear City Owners,

Has anyone tried upgrading the ICE in the City VX Variant to a double din system? The reason I am asking is, with Pioneer systems offering CarPlay compatibility starting from September it’s too tempting to have the system upgraded. This would provide seamless connectivity with the apple devices. There are lot of videos on YouTube demonstrating CarPlay and its look pretty neat.

Most of the times or rather in almost all cars, the moment you upgrade the ICE, the original steering mounted controls becomes unusable. I had this experienced in my older car. We will then have to go with the aftermarket remote mounted on the steering wheel to serve as a remote to operate the audio. Though this serves the purpose, it does not look well integrated. I am not sure how it going to be with City? Can we have the existing steering mounted controls still operate the audio?

Please advise.
Old 16th July 2014, 01:13   #2300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk28 View Post
Dear City Owners,

Has anyone tried upgrading the ICE in the City VX Variant to a double din system? The reason I am asking is, with Pioneer systems offering CarPlay compatibility starting from September it’s too tempting to have the system upgraded. This would provide seamless connectivity with the apple devices. There are lot of videos on YouTube demonstrating CarPlay and its look pretty neat.

Most of the times or rather in almost all cars, the moment you upgrade the ICE, the original steering mounted controls becomes unusable. I had this experienced in my older car. We will then have to go with the aftermarket remote mounted on the steering wheel to serve as a remote to operate the audio. Though this serves the purpose, it does not look well integrated. I am not sure how it going to be with City? Can we have the existing steering mounted controls still operate the audio?

Please advise.
The last time i checked , City's front facia (which is used to install 2 din H.Us) was not available with aftermarket retailers , however it should be in a couple of months till Pioneer launches this in India.

As far as steering audio controls are concerned they can also be used using what these I.C.E dealers call 'interface' , but you should keep in mind all this is a costly affair , the H.U itself would start from about ₹40000($700) , the one with iphone like resistive touchscreen with pinch to zoom and other multi touch features would cost a lot more {₹80000($1400)} and even that comes with a relatively low res WVGA display, add to this atleast 10k for the facia and interface.

As far as sound quality is concered , dont expect these to be any better than non - carplay HUs from Pioneer.

Last edited by Rocketscience : 16th July 2014 at 01:20.
Old 16th July 2014, 02:05   #2301
BHPian

Thank you Rocketscience. As long as I do not have to add an additional remote on the steering wheel and if I am still able to use the steering mounted controls I am good with that.

As you rightly mentioned it is going to be expensive. Hoping to get some good deals on the the HU.

Just thinking out loud, it would rather be much convenient to have a docking station on the dash for a ipad/ipad mini rather than the traditional audio system. In this case the only upgrade needed would be on the speakers & Sub based on the taste.

Last edited by kk28 : 16th July 2014 at 02:28. Reason: Additional info which was missed earlier
Old 16th July 2014, 02:26   #2302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetsubhi View Post
Hello Harry10

Did you get the Reverse parking sensors with camera from Classic Honda itself ?

Which brand did they fit ?
The sensors are body colored ?
Where did they install the camera ?

INR 4500 was inclusive of all installation and labour.

Regards
Harpreet
Sorry Harpreet, guess my previous update was unclear. I have installed only the reverse sensors and not the camera. The display is in IRVM and it works extremely well. Forgot the brand name but will check again when i go for the first service.
Sensors are body colored as seen from the pic i posted.
4500 includes everything. MRP is 5400 in accessory list but you should insist for the discount and they will give it.
Got it installed from Classic Honda itself. Took exact 25 minutes in installation.

My advise will be to go only for sensors as they are more than enough and don't waste money in getting camera too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahanam View Post
Congrats Harry. It looks Stunning. Wow. What a great surprise you had on this day. Lucky that you got Michelin. Almost a mini congrats for that too . Now looking forward to your ownership review. Crunch miles. Happy times ahead

Thanks for sharing your experience. There are many who have now complained of the poor headlamps. I am thinking of getting Phillips Xtreme Vision and replace before delivery. There have been mixed comments on the seat compound. Some love it for the long drives while it has caused inconvenience to some.
Thanks!
Oh yeah, I was more happy in getting the Michelin's than the car itself.
Have driven it once only at night and IMO stock headlamps are just average. I will prefer a more powerful one.
Can we get Philips Xtreme Vision from dealer itself or we need to get it done from outside. Do update regarding this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilagdr View Post
Many congrats harry10. Wishing you happy miles ahead. Anyway the wait paid off with you getting lucky with the XM1s. Isn't yours the SV variant? The white city looks royal, and I am yet to get mine!!

CapnCook, your observations are in conformity with those of many others. I have already bought a pair of Osram NB unlimited HB3 bulbs to replace the stock bulbs once I get the car. I have also ordered for the Amron executive backrest.
I don't think replacing the stock bulbs with a similar wattage one would void warranty.

This seems to be a new issue reported. Anybody else with the same problem? or can someone pour in some more details please.
Thanks mate!
It may sound stupid but i checked at least 10 city's in the yard to see how many have got Michelin's and none had it. So, indeed i was very lucky.
Yes, its SV variant. Which color and variant you had booked? When is the delivery expected?

Whats the configuration of Osram you had bought and did you confirm it with the dealer if similar wattage swap won't void warranty?
Do update regarding this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
Apart Guys, planning to install Fog Lamps on my City. Has anyone got it installed from Honda/Outside? Can they please provide cost? I have come across one online on Ebay.com and it is costs 135 USD. Yet to check the local accessory stores here in Pune. Will appreciate any help on this

Thanks
Manoj
HI Manoj,
I am also interested in getting the fog lamps. Honda has not provided it as an accessory and as per SA there is no such plan in near future. Do let us know if you are able to procure it from ebay or anywhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Hearty Congratulations, harry!!

Your long, LONG wait (almost a tapasya) is over, finally! What a beauty she is. Am sure she will provide you with plenty of satisfied, happy miles in the years to come. She's gleaming as proudly as her owner in all the pics!

You are so lucky, bud. I am envious of you! Michelins seem to be the least provided OEM tyres for the 2014 City. Everywhere I see only MRFs or Goodyears. And yes, the stock Michelin tyres are a cut above all the rest - upgrading is unnecessary. Enjoy them until they last.

Be gentle for the first 1000-odd kilometers, then revv her hard! Wish you and your family a long, blissful journey ahead.

Drive safe, my friend!
Thanks Avi for your kind words
I am already extremely satisfied in one days drive only. Have crunched 120 kms already and loving it so far.
You are right. As i stated above none of the other cars in the yard had Michelin's. I had never used michelins before. Yokos and bridgestone had been my fav uptill now. Got to say now i understand why people rate Michelin's above the rest. Stability is very good, no tyre noise( have driven till 100kmph only and till then there is no noise)

I am not crossing 2k rpm till 1500 km at least. Though most believe running in is not required in modern day cars i am still gonna take the traditional approach to be on the safe side.

Couple of questions-
1. What is the recommended tyre pressure?
2. WHat are the gear ratios as i can't find it in the manual?

Last edited by harry10 : 16th July 2014 at 02:29.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 09:39   #2303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Thanks mate!
It may sound stupid but i checked at least 10 city's in the yard to see how many have got Michelin's and none had it. So, indeed i was very lucky.
Yes, its SV variant. Which color and variant you had booked? When is the delivery expected?

Whats the configuration of Osram you had bought and did you confirm it with the dealer if similar wattage swap won't void warranty?
Do update regarding this.
Harry10, As said earlier I bought the Osram NBUnlimited 55/60 HB3 bulbs. This was based on posts by fellow BHPians here.
Ususally swapping bulbs with the same wattage doesnt void the warranty. Afterall you are not expected to buy a bulb from the Honda dealer if your bulb goes kaput in the middle of the night in some god forsaken place Anyway I have decided to swap, come what may.

I booked a white iDtec VMT during mid March and am due to get delivery this month end or early next. I am thinking of going for the P3ST 195-60-15. How would this stand up against XM2? any idea?

Gladdened to know you are enjoying your ride. Best wishes.
Old 16th July 2014, 11:04   #2304
BHPian

Is there any fuel grade specification in manual for petrol city? Is normal petrol OK for i-Vtec?
Old 16th July 2014, 11:39   #2305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Couple of questions-
1. What is the recommended tyre pressure?
Official recommendation is 32 PSI for front and 30 PSI for rear. For highway driving you can increase the same by 1-2 PSI as needed.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 11:59   #2306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Harry10, As said earlier I bought the Osram NBUnlimited 55/60 HB3 bulbs. This was based on posts by fellow BHPians here.
Ususally swapping bulbs with the same wattage doesnt void the warranty. Afterall you are not expected to buy a bulb from the Honda dealer if your bulb goes kaput in the middle of the night in some god forsaken place Anyway I have decided to swap, come what may.

I booked a white iDtec VMT during mid March and am due to get delivery this month end or early next. I am thinking of going for the P3ST 195-60-15. How would this stand up against XM2? any idea?

Gladdened to know you are enjoying your ride. Best wishes.
That's great. V is the best Vfm variant in city. Will wait for you to get the Osram installed in your car as and when you take delivery so we can get better idea of difference it makes.

As per info I gathered P3ST and XM2 are both3 good with P3ST being more silent. You can't get wrong with any of them. Personally I will say get P3ST.
Old 16th July 2014, 12:03   #2307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCook View Post
Guys I just completed a 2100 KM trip from Bangalore - Madurai - Kanyakumari - Rameshwaram - Pondicherry - Bangalore.
Some Dislikes :-(
1. Poor Headlights. I don't know if it's only me or others have also noticed that the stock headlight setup is not enough or adequate for night driving. Things become even worse when you are not driving on national highways but on some 2 lane state highways or link roads without reflectors or central dividing line.
2. Soft material of the seats. I drove non stop from Bangalore to Kanyakumari and got a bad backache at the end of the journey. Would have loved a harder compound for the driver's seat atleast.
3. Smaller tank results in frequent visits to fuel stations.
Would love to have the feedback of other members owning New City regarding Point 2 of CapnCook. Any one else had a back ache after a long journey? If so any remedy?

Seran
Old 16th July 2014, 12:29   #2308
BHPian

How often does a City require wheel balancing and alignment. During my last trip on the highway, once crossed 90km on the ORR, I felt the steering to vibrate.
If this is due to balancing and alignment, is it ok to do it at Honda service centers or elsewhere.

And is it possible to replace the 2012 city antenna to the latest shark fin?
Old 16th July 2014, 12:45   #2309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
How often does a City require wheel balancing and alignment. During my last trip on the highway, once crossed 90km on the ORR, I felt the steering to vibrate.
If this is due to balancing and alignment, is it ok to do it at Honda service centers or elsewhere.

And is it possible to replace the 2012 city antenna to the latest shark fin?
Generally it's advisable to get balancing and alignment done after every 5000kms. You can get it done outside as it will be double the cost at Honda.

Yes, you can get shark fin antenna from aliexpress.com. It normally takes 20-40 days of delivery time.
Old 16th July 2014, 13:00   #2310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
Have you driven in 110-120kmph range? How is the noise inside the cabin? How is the acceleration in 3 and 4 gears?
Yes I did drive in that range and sometimes beyond it during the Madurai to Kanyakumari stretch on NH7. The reason being that the road was totally empty even in the afternoon (apart from numerous dogs, cows and herd of goats ). I was wondering about building such an awesome road when nobody seems to be using it. I just met only 20-25 vehicles for almost 200 KMs.

Coming back to your original question, there was hardly any noise except for light humming sound from the engine and that of the tires (mine are stock Bridgestones). Acceleration in 3rd and 4th gear was good after 2300-2500 rpm. Also remarkable was the overall fuel efficiency of 17.5 KMpl (real time fuel efficiency was even higher) while driving in the 110-120 KMph range in the 5th gear.

Quote:
CapnCook, your observations are in conformity with those of many others. I have already bought a pair of Osram NB unlimited HB3 bulbs to replace the stock bulbs once I get the car. I have also ordered for the Amron executive backrest.
I don't think replacing the stock bulbs with a similar wattage one would void warranty.
Thanks anilagdr. Currently I am researching whether to go for Philips or Osram. I majorly drive in Bangalore city traffic with occasional long highway trips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
Would love to have the feedback of other members owning New City regarding Point 2 of CapnCook. Any one else had a back ache after a long journey? If so any remedy?
Seran
To add to my observation regarding the seats, I would say that apart from the soft seating material, the overall seat design, the driver's physique, sitting position & posture also matters. At one instance I retracted the seat to it's most upright position for better back & lumbar support. I still have to find that perfect position for long drives w.r.t the seat recline angle, seat height, distance from the steering wheel and steering wheel tilt etc. Sometimes all the personalization and effort is wasted when you have to swap the seat with another driver .

I think some members have kindly suggested using a Amron Executive backrest. I have ordered it and will let you know my experience once i get that.

Cheers,
CapnCook
CapnCook is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed