Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2014, 21:00   #2326
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

There were quite a few posts on folks trying to get 3M paint protection. Just wanted to point out that there is an alternative as well which is a more premium product but lasts much longer as well to justify the cost. For folks following my ownership thread, I had got CQuartz treatment done on my White SV CVT at Ultimate Detailerz about 4 months ago and it is still holding very good. If I put water using tumbler, it just rolls off like the way it would if you would put on the windshield.
Details on the initial CQuartz Treatment: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...ml#post3403249

Look at the beading effect which is as it is even post 4 months of use (covered about 2.6K kms).

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20140713-11.44.13.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20140713-11.44.25.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20140713-11.44.34.jpg
neel911 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 21:18   #2327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive2Drive View Post
Hi BHPians,

I have booked the Honda City VX IDtec MT variant and it seems ages before I would have my hands on it. I am committed a timeline of October.

I have a quick question - Does the top end VX and the V variants both have the heat absorbing windshield glasses ? Can anybody confirm ? Some SA say that it is present in both variants, some say it is available only in the VX variant however, i did not see it on any of the Honda City brochures.

Please update ?

Regards
I think SA mixed up sound absorbing wind shields with heat absorbing ones. I dont think there is any thing like that.

Seran
Old 16th July 2014, 22:14   #2328
BHPian

Has anyone found an alternative to the dicky cover? It looks very bad without the cover, so I am hoping something can be done there
Old 16th July 2014, 22:48   #2329
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Roads are pretty bad in my area courtesy, metro rail. There have been instances where my car has hit the pot holes/speed bumpers real hard and feel this should have caused the mis-alignment. My car is currently 7100KM old. Will give it to my nearby shop for balancing.
Is there any DIY/guide on where to source the shark fin and install it.
Be careful that the camber and it's related areas don't take a hit, else it will become a very serious issue.

Check with Honda first for the alignment/camber check. If it's a more serious issue, you are better off sticking to Honda A.S.S.

As for the shark-fin DIY, a google search should bring up plenty of options. You can do a search on our forum as well - I faintly remember someone getting it done for their 3rd-gen City as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahanam View Post
Here is something to Cheer for the City Fans. There have been various posts on the City and its stupendous Mileage figures. Hope this Compilation is useful for owners and potential buyers.
Excellent compilation. You forgot to mention my 27+ kmpl achievement inside the city for a 18-km shopping run!

But yes, the City is a very frugal machine in all it's avatars - petrol, diesel and AT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Standard in all Mercedes. Observed the same behaviour in my C220. Merc technician said the vehicle is meant to auto-unlock doors in an accident. Guess this impact sensor gets triggered by sharp pothole jolts.
Haven't seen it yet in my Empress. Maybe because I am a more careful driver when it comes to breakers and potholes. But even the 2-3 times when I have gone through a pothole/breaker rather sharply, I have yet to see the doors unlock by themselves. I wonder if it's a door sensor issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
The H.A.S.S out rightly said to my friend that City has just one reverse light! Called them up and with 'Empress' photo at hand, asked them to recheck and call back.
That's when I got the doubt, whether it has something to do with the SV trim.

Edit: They fixed it! Still wondering why they gave wrong info initially.
Goes to show the level of information the A.S.S. guys have these days. Pathetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilagdr View Post
I think HCIL should start giving refresher trainings to the technicians at their ASS facilities.
+1. They seriously need some professional training regarding these basic things at least. The level of lack of knowledge of even basic stuff boggles the mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
GTO - Yeah I understand its a safety feature (Impact sensing door unlock) but I got alarmed when it was unlocking even while slightly braking on a slope or even when I step into the pothole really slowly.

After Peninsular repaired it, this is not happening but the door needs a slightly heavy push to close now. Seems they have tightened it a bit too much. Taking to them again to correct it and will ask for a clarification on when it should actually unlock.
Yep, it was definitely a car-specific problem, Adarsh. I dare say it was a manufacturing defect. I have not experienced even one instance of this happening in my Empress, and I have braked hard many times from 40+ speeds at speed-breakers/potholes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsk2009 View Post
I think always it is better to get alignment work done at one place only. In my Punto I used to get it done at dealership during service and next one at outside(after 6 months/5Kms) to avoid any warranty issue. But my tires were replaced at 21K due to bad alignment. Better check with Honda whether the warranty will be valid if we get the alignment done at outside.
This shouldn't be a warranty problem, whether it's done at the A.S.S. or outside. Only thing to ensure is that the alignment/balancing shop should have knowledgeable staff and have good reputation.

It might be an issue specific to dealerships too. My dealership never had a problem with me getting the work done from outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive2Drive View Post
I have a quick question - Does the top end VX and the V variants both have the heat absorbing windshield glasses ? Can anybody confirm ? Some SA say that it is present in both variants, some say it is available only in the VX variant however, i did not see it on any of the Honda City brochures.
I don't think any of the City variants have heat-absorbing glasses. Sound insulation beef-up is provided in the i-DTEC VX variant only. Heat-absorbing front windshield is provided in the Amaze VX, and it's a glaring omission from the 2014 City's feature-lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
For folks following my ownership thread, I had got CQuartz treatment done on my White SV CVT at Ultimate Detailerz about 4 months ago and it is still holding very good. If I put water using tumbler, it just rolls off like the way it would if you would put on the windshield.
Looks fantastic, neel. Wish it was available near my city. I would have got it done as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Has anyone found an alternative to the dicky cover? It looks very bad without the cover, so I am hoping something can be done there
I think someone posted earlier in this thread that Honda is deliberately omitting the inner cover for the boot due to wiring/heating issues or something. Yes it looks ungainly and ugly, but if it's not advisable by the company then it shouldn't be done, IMO.

I'll see if I can dig up more info on this.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 16th July 2014 at 22:49.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 23:20   #2330
BHPian

Hi friends,

Just saw on CNBC Awaaz that the government has directed the car companies to pass on the entire excise benefit to the customers. As per the report the car companies are not passing on the benefit to customers. Is this the case with honda as well. Can you guys confirm ?
Old 17th July 2014, 10:47   #2331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Yep, it was definitely a car-specific problem, Adarsh. I dare say it was a manufacturing defect. I have not experienced even one instance of this happening in my Empress, and I have braked hard many times from 40+ speeds at speed-breakers/potholes.
Raven, the issue is not a manufacturing defect as per the service advisor. As part of a standard procedure, before the delivery of a car the service personnel are supposed to tighten the door locks as per manufacturer recommendations. However, in my case it was missed out. There was some kind of an oversight by the service, I think probably because the guys are not experienced with Honda cars, as they have started the dealership of Honda only recently.
Old 17th July 2014, 19:26   #2332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCook View Post
Thanks for_cars1. It has been added to my shopping cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Please let me know your feedback once you receive the item.

I went through the Amron website and they are recommending to take the Executive model for car seats.
http://amron.in/executive.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by anilagdr View Post
.... I have also ordered for the Amron executive backrest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCook View Post
To add to my observation regarding the seats, I would say that apart from the soft seating material, the overall seat design, the driver's physique, sitting position & posture also matters. At one instance I retracted the seat to it's most upright position for better back & lumbar support. I still have to find that perfect position for long drives w.r.t the seat recline angle, seat height, distance from the steering wheel and steering wheel tilt etc. ....

I think some members have kindly suggested using a Amron Executive backrest. I have ordered it and will let you know my experience once i get that.

Cheers,
CapnCook
Spot-on CapnCook but with the City's driver seat, you get that sinking in feeling when the back is continuously pressed against those soft spongy seat material with the seat not pushing on the back.

I got the Amron Mini Back-rest delivery and was eager to try out the same.

It has an elastic belt to wrap around the seat back. But when I tried it, the backrest starts to dangle because the seat sides are curved and protruded. So I slid the belt buckle between the seat gap just to hold the back rest in place.

The foam material is firm and should offer good support. However after trying out the backrest, I have come to the following conclusion.

1. The Backrest is not required during short commutes in the City. Using the backrest will deprive us of the wrap around nature of the seats. You won't feel snug with the seat wrapped around your back but rather with the backrest pushing you forward and becomes the only contact point with the back.

2. It comes with a plastic cover, I have put it in the cover and placed it in the boot. I believe it may come handy if the back starts to ache during long drives. So I intend to use it only on long drives.

I've attached a couple of pictures of the Back-rest.

Honda should have put in extra support around the lumbar section of the seat and made it a bit firmer. I'm sure many people will get a backache if they drive continuously for > 5 hours. Please take note of this Honda and improve the lumbar support for the driver seat in the 2014 City. Its not too bad but you can definitely provide that extra lower back support without the need for users to resort to some aftermarket products.

I miss my Palio seats which are so scientifically designed to provide good support.
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-amron_belt_clip_tucked_between_seat_gap.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-amron_mini_on_honda_city_drivers_seat.jpg  

Last edited by for_cars1 : 17th July 2014 at 19:45.
for_cars1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 20:48   #2333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
There is no 3M place in Faridabad. You can either get it done from Gurgaon or Delhi. No other option.

Avi has given quite a good info about estimated gear ratio few posts below. Still, I will check it on my first service and if they are clueless will drop a mail to Honda.

What is the mileage you are getting in city driving?
Till now I am getting 15.6 as per MID which includes a lot of bumper to bumper drive. AC is 100% on.
Thanks for the info about 3M Harry. I'll try to get Teflon coating from somewhere in Faridabad. Will try to find and then share in case I stumble upon something. One more name comes to my mind is du pont. They are good in car care products. I'll search and share.

Well after 1300 kms the car has become super smooth. I'm falling more and more in love with my City.
The first tankful gave me a mileage of 23 kmpl - measured using tankful to tankful method.
The current tankful is showing me a mileage of 23 on the MID and have driven 400 kms. Half AC and half non AC.
But important to note is my intentional sedate driving style. I have not driven the car more than 70 kmph till today and I plan to drive sedate for another 800 kms. I'm using the below gear ratios during the acceleration:

1-2 : 10 kmph
2-3 : somewhere between 25 to 30 kmph
3-4 : 45 kmph
4-5 : 60 kmph
5-6 : 70 kmph

Cheers : Harpreet
harpreetsubhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 11:24   #2334
BHPian

Is cancellation fee for 2014 City uniform across all states. Here in Goa it is 1% of Ex-showroom price? Pretty high.
Old 18th July 2014, 11:33   #2335
BHPian

I was told by a Honda sales executive that NVH levels are very low in VX variant compared to lower variants. He says VX comes with better cabin insulation compared to the rest. Is this a true statement ?
Old 18th July 2014, 11:37   #2336
BHPian

Quote:
Is cancellation fee for 2014 City uniform across all states. Here in Goa it is 1% of Ex-showroom price? Pretty high.
That is surprising. Honda has not been charging for any cancellation. They take 51K for booking which is 100% refundable if you cancel. I'm not sure if something has changed in last 4 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk28 View Post
I was told by a Honda sales executive that NVH levels are very low in VX variant compared to lower variants. He says VX comes with better cabin insulation compared to the rest. Is this a true statement ?
For the VX Diesel, Honda has added Sound Insulation Front Windshield. The same is not there in lower variants. I'll let owners comment on actual difference experienced.
neel911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 13:12   #2337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
That is surprising. Honda has not been charging for any cancellation. They take 51K for booking which is 100% refundable if you cancel. I'm not sure if something has changed in last 4 months.
100% Refund was for those who did Pre-Booking before Launch, post that they were charging Rs.2,500/- as a penalty for booking cancellation. 1% would work out too high I guess and you (vsk2009) should threaten them with legal action. Do they have it in writing anywhere?
Old 18th July 2014, 14:30   #2338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
100% Refund was for those who did Pre-Booking before Launch, post that they were charging Rs.2,500/- as a penalty for booking cancellation. 1% would work out too high I guess and you (vsk2009) should threaten them with legal action. Do they have it in writing anywhere?
It is not mentioned in contract document that we signed while I paid the advance. But in the price list document issued by the dealer clearly mentioned it. Currently I will consider cancellation only if the delivery delayed indefinitely beyond what they assured.

One good thing that I found is that they have neatly documented everything like RSA, insurance, maintenance tips etc in a booklet form which also contain the details of any advance paid etc which will be handed over to the customer while booking.
Old 18th July 2014, 14:58   #2339
BHPian

Quote:
Did you pay the advance amount in cash or via debit/credit card/NEFT ? I remember Whitefield Honda Bangalore telling me about some charges if the advance payment was done via debit/credit card. I eventually paid by credit card as I knew I am not going to cancel my booking
Old 18th July 2014, 15:25   #2340
BHPian

Quote:
Write to Honda Customer Care and ask them why this differentiation? If its the dealer who is changing Terms, you will have some support from Honda. Write to them very clearly that you are thinking of cancelling only because delivery is very uncertain. You will get a call from the Dealership and based on the booking and delivery schedule, you will be informed about your possible delivery time. You may or may not like the dates given, but you will get to know the reality (which you will not know most of the times when talking with your SA). Take a call based on that.

Most Viewed