Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2014, 18:39   #2401
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Today I was informed that my car had been unloaded yesterday at the dealer's yard. Today I went there and did a preliminary PDI. I couldn't get into the car since the key was not carried by the SA. So I inspected it from the outside. All looked well and the VIN decoding shows it is a July 2014 car.

I feel that panel gaps still exist to an unacceptable level. In comparison, I have noticed similar gaps in the Mobilio as well.

I am unlucky to have been given the MRF tyres, so I guess an upgrade to Michellin 3PST 195-60-15 needs serious consideration.
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-h1.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-h2.jpg  

anilagdr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 19:54   #2402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousivakutti View Post
@tejas08: Could you help provide the cost of Art-Leather (Auto-Form) with same beige color? I might go with Auto Form or Pensee Leathers in Bangalore.
The damage to my pocket was approx. Rs. 8K. Pretty happy with the feel and fitting of the Seat Covers.
tejas08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 19:55   #2403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vista_qjd View Post
Had visited the Magnum Honda Showroom today. Saw a SV automatic fitted with 8 inch integrated touch-screen music system from some company starting with the letter M. Very much like the Caska, but this one had the glossy black dashboard finish and looked very OEM. The car was ready for delivery and the accessories guy mentioned they have sold about 10 of them so far. Couldn't click any pictures though. Might be worth checking out with your dealer if anyone is interested.
What is the price they are asking for it?
Old 29th July 2014, 20:14   #2404

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousivakutti View Post
@loving_alaap, ajayps77, harry10, vsrivatsa, tejas08 - Thank you so much for your valuable feedback. I hope for Michelin/Bridgestone tyres to decide on upgrade or not.

Can I get the Dealer reference number and write to Honda asking for Michelin/Bridgestone tyres? Have any one tried this option? Will Honda entertain such requests?

@tejas08: Could you help provide the cost of Art-Leather (Auto-Form) with same beige color? I might go with Auto Form or Pensee Leathers in Bangalore.
I got autoform beige coloured seat covers at Rs6500 with 2 yr warranty. Pretty happy with it after 3 months of usage. Also found the Bridgestone stock tyres ok till now(4400km till now). However at least for better looks I would have preferred wider tyres.
ajayps77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 21:52   #2405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
What is the price they are asking for it?
47000/- for the setup. This includes the rear view camera as well.
Old 29th July 2014, 23:17   #2406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilagdr View Post
Today I was informed that my car had been unloaded yesterday at the dealer's yard. Today I went there and did a preliminary PDI. I couldn't get into the car since the key was not carried by the SA. So I inspected it from the outside. All looked well and the VIN decoding shows it is a July 2014 car.

I feel that panel gaps still exist to an unacceptable level. In comparison, I have noticed similar gaps in the Mobilio as well.

I am unlucky to have been given the MRF tyres, so I guess an upgrade to Michellin 3PST 195-60-15 needs serious consideration.
Sad, but I went thru the same fate and ended up with MRF and so went for the tire swap. Hyundai I believe is much better here and for the Verna SX and above they provide Bridgestone as standard. Honda should provide the Michelin/Bridgestone for the Higher variants.
Old 30th July 2014, 00:41   #2407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
I have ordered Amron Mini backrest (link) and hope that it will give the necessary lumbar support for long drives.
Quote:

I got the Amron Mini Back-rest delivery and was eager to try out the same.

I had taken the car for a long drive of 1250 KM round trip and I haven't had the need to use the Amron back rest.

The trick is to find the right recline angle (leaning towards more upright position) and pushing the seat forward enough to get a good support for the back. I managed to get the right seating posture and my back was comfortable even after driving for 8 hours continuously.
My conclusion is that the Amron back rest is not really required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Let me try to answer as per my experience so far-

1. I got stock tyres as Michelin so didn't go for any upgrade... If you get MRF or Goodyear then think of upgrading but if you get Michelin or Bridgestone then stick with stock tyres.

4. I will strongly suggest not to go for seat covers. ...
With no offence to anyone, we Indians (that includes me) have a protective tendency to cover everything with something be it TV remote control (or the TV itself in early days of television), mobiles and what not.

+1, One thing I've learn't over the years is seat covers are really not required for any car.
Seat covers tend to ruin the contours/shape of the seats, interferes with heat and sweat dissipation (for eg. the premium seat covers in the higher variants have good sweat dissipation qualities). I used to put seat covers for my previous cars thinking that they will protect the original seat fabric, now i wonder, what was I thinking then. The car ages as a whole unit and there is no point protecting the seats with some cover (unless you are going for leather upholstery). I just ruined the experience of sitting on the original seats.
All we need to do is regular wash/shampoo of the seat fabric at say 3M.

Quote:

I have the MRF ZVTV stock tyres and my observation is as follows:
1. ZVTV is not too noisy at high speeds as I had heard about MRF. Maybe the tyres are soft being new and will get noiser as they age. I'm yet to find that out.. The tyre noise levels are acceptable as of now.

2. The ZVTV tyres can cruise comfortably upto 110 KM/hr on our 4 laned highways. It doesn't feel good and does not stay planted at higher than this speed, 120 is like pushing it.

Also I felt that the car gets shaky above 120 and tends to veer a bit to the right or left suddenly due to cross winds on the open highway. Perhaps wider tyres will minimize this effect.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 30th July 2014 at 00:54.
for_cars1 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 07:09   #2408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Honda should provide the Michelin/Bridgestone for the Higher variants.
You couldn't put it better vsrivatsa.

Quote:
I have the MRF ZVTV stock tyres and my observation is as follows:
1. ZVTV is not too noisy at high speeds as I had heard about MRF. Maybe the tyres are soft being new and will get noiser as they age. I'm yet to find that out.. The tyre noise levels are acceptable as of now.

2. The ZVTV tyres can cruise comfortably upto 110 KM/hr on our 4 laned highways. It doesn't feel good and does not stay planted at higher than this speed, 120 is like pushing it.

Also I felt that the car gets shaky above 120 and tends to veer a bit to the right or left suddenly due to cross winds on the open highway. Perhaps wider tyres will minimize this effect.
I don't know if this is the observation of others too. Anyway I may have to think hard before upsizing the tyres as the dealer has made it quite clear that it would void the warranty.
Old 30th July 2014, 09:39   #2409
BHPian

Quote:
Anyway I may have to think hard before upsizing the tyres as the dealer has made it quite clear that it would void the warranty.
Better to confirm it from company itself.
Old 30th July 2014, 09:45   #2410
Geo
BHPian

Can somebody provide some testimonies about high speed capabilities of the new City? High as in 140+ or at least 120+.
Old 30th July 2014, 10:42   #2411
BHPian

What is the wait period for the City Petrol SV and V in Gurgaon?
Old 30th July 2014, 10:49   #2412
BHPian

Quote:
With no offence to anyone, we Indians (that includes me) have a protective tendency to cover everything with something be it TV remote control (or the TV itself in early days of television), mobiles and what not.

+1, One thing I've learn't over the years is seat covers are really not required for any car.
Seat covers tend to ruin the contours/shape of the seats, interferes with heat and sweat dissipation (for eg. the premium seat covers in the higher variants have good sweat dissipation qualities). I used to put seat covers for my previous cars thinking that they will protect the original seat fabric, now i wonder, what was I thinking then. The car ages as a whole unit and there is no point protecting the seats with some cover (unless you are going for leather upholstery). I just ruined the experience of sitting on the original seats.
All we need to do is regular wash/shampoo of the seat fabric at say 3M.
Strongly agree with this and that's exactly my point of view towards covering everything , i mean come on who and what is all this for , removing the covers after 5 years in your already aged car which most possibly you're bored of and finding them new and ruining your experience with crappy looking covers in the meanwhile , or is this just a small favor to the person to whom you'll be selling your car! Anyways its as pointless to me as covering a brand new phone with those cheap covers!

Quote:

The car was very stable (It did'nt shake even one bit) even when pushed to its limits with upgraded tyres (205 50 R16) and never felt nervous at those speeds.

I did however noticed this cross wind effect and the car changing its direction because of this and found this surprising , i never noticed this even in my i20 (which has poor dynamics) , this might be due to many factors but it sure was'nt a storm then and the wind speed was definitely not extremely high , honestly i've never noticed this is any car i've driven to date.

Last edited by Rocketscience : 30th July 2014 at 10:58.
Rocketscience is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 11:03   #2413
BHPian

Thanks for sharing your experience on backrest.

Quote:
Quote:
Strongly agree with this and that's exactly my point of view towards covering everything , i mean come on who and what is all this for , removing the covers after 5 years in your already aged car which most possibly you're bored of and finding them new and ruining your experience with crappy looking covers in the meanwhile , or is this just a small favor to the person to whom you'll be selling your car! Anyways its as pointless to me as covering a brand new phone with those cheap covers!
Add to this. I get sometimes very annoyed when i see people not removing those plastic covers from new cars. Under the pretext of keep the seats clean, they deny themselves the comfort of the fabric. I feel like asking sometimes, if you are so worried about the seats, then buy a plastic seat. It does not cost much and can be replaced as and when needed. Why go for fabric or leather?
Old 30th July 2014, 11:22   #2414
Geo
BHPian

I too have realized that going for art-leather spoils the overall experience. Most often, the fit and finish of art-leather covers aren't as good as the stock ones. Many of the art-leather fitters stitch the art-leather cover on to the fabric cover, spoiling the fabric cover. Add to that, the sweat and heat. Most often you will be forced to add the bead-cover over the art-leather cover. That spoils the complete look. I have decided to stick to stock fabric seats. Might consider buying leather seats with very good heat dissipation capabilities , may be 4 or 5 years down the line.

Last edited by Geo : 30th July 2014 at 11:24.
Old 30th July 2014, 11:57   #2415
BHPian

Quote:
I did however noticed this cross wind effect and the car changing its direction because of this and found this surprising , i never noticed this even in my i20 (which has poor dynamics) , this might be due to many factors but it sure was'nt a storm then and the wind speed was definitely not extremely high , honestly i've never noticed this is any car i've driven to date.
Even I have experienced server lateral swaying in moderate highway winds along the Hyderabad Outer Ring Road. I was crusing between 80-110 kmph. I had never experienced anything like this before in my Figo.

I wonder if it is due to the steering, or tyres or something to do with aerodynamics of the car! It is scary. Haven't driven over 110kmph yet, waiting to do that post 1st service.
aditto is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed