Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2014, 01:13   #2461
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakv View Post
Dont worry too much - the Verna is also a capable car, as would be the Ciaz that launches soon. Youre not missing much by not getting the City - the quality levels have seriously dropped in this generation as is apparent in the problems with my new City as well as what others have posted - water leaks, idling belt & clutch noises, high speed instability etc is really disappointing.
Sorry if that was off-topic but just wanted to let vsk2009 know he should not be too sad!
Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
Quality levels

Idling belt noise - Only for petrol models, but dealers are aware of this now and replacing it under warranty.

Water Leakage - I guess that was due to the AC rather than any rain water getting in.

High Speed Instability - Just go for Fiat Linea or Skoda Rapid in this segment and definitely not Verna. Even the Vento does not come up to Linea levels as per some of the reviews. City is still better than Verna as far as I know having driven a Verna as well.

There will be issues in any new car models released and these has to be rectified gradually. There are many issues reported by users for some people I know in the previous generation of City.

With the new Verna due to be launched this year end, I guess its not advisable to book and take one now.
+1 adarsh , and at 3000 kms my car (touchwood) hasn't faced a single issue. The only thing which bothers me is people complaining about its high speed stabilty , i mean even when pushed to its limits City was still very stable and takes even bumpy roads very well at very high speeds , it doesn't corner as well as vento/rapid but is far from being called a bad handling car or instable. I do run on upsized tyees but i don't think the car would shake even with stock tyres and neither was this reported in T-BHP's official review.

Last edited by Rocketscience : 4th August 2014 at 01:15.
Rocketscience is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 10:38   #2462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
1. In my SV CVT, I have decided to go with stock only. In city driving you may not feel any need of tyre upgrade. Stock ones are preety good. On highway, beyond 120kmph you may want fatter tyres with cost of warrenty / insurance void (a debatable issue) and drop of 1 odd kmpl FE.
To add here, 195/60R15 improves the ground clearance as well compared to the stock tyres. In Bangalore, the roads are just amazing (pun intended). The contours (potholes) post rains are something I've never seen in any major city. Till now, none of that have scraped the bottom of my City on 195/60R15 P3ST and I go at the speed that I used to on my i10 over pothole (not at snail pace that I see people with older generation Honda City doing due to low GC) . I've heard the warranty may get void even on changing alloys as well. I was OK to take the risk and so far I'm enjoying every bit of it.

The only downside as pointed out on my ownership thread is that they do come out marginally from body/mud guard coverage (maybe due to slightly wider alloys as well) so the lower part of the side doors always gets really messy during rains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
Strongly agree with this and that's exactly my point of view towards covering everything , i mean come on who and what is all this for , removing the covers after 5 years in your already aged car which most possibly you're bored of and finding them new and ruining your experience with crappy looking covers in the meanwhile , or is this just a small favor to the person to whom you'll be selling your car! Anyways its as pointless to me as covering a brand new phone with those cheap covers!
I believe its more of a hygiene issue as well (may be debatable again) if you have small kids who tend to drop food items in your car. Though I try my best to have a No food policy in car, it doesn't work every time when kids are really young and some stains just do not go from fabric even if you go to 3M. I've had that experience on my i10 and so went for Art Leather seat covers. Somehow I feel, they give a better support/comfort as well due to the extra padding and cleaning them is so easy.

Last edited by neel911 : 4th August 2014 at 10:43.
Old 4th August 2014, 11:09   #2463
Senior - BHPian

I'm pretty happy with the overall experience (touch wood), I'm planning to get the following points clarified/corrected during the next service.

1. Driver Door inner black plastic panel at the top gets pushed outward when the power window rolls down. The plastic panel sets itself inwards back into position after the window fully rolls up. It doesn't happen for all the other doors. Its not an issue per se, but I just want to get it checked during next service. Did anyone else face the same ?

2. Rear left charging socket is not working. Just felt like checking if all 3 sockets are working and found this one. Have never used this socket, just tested it with a phone charger and didn't find it active/working.

3. The front power door mirrors motor doesn't turn on simultaneously, the left mirror opens/closes sooner than the right mirror.

Is it possible to laminate (with a plastic film) the lower back part of the front seat rests? The beige fabric tends to get soiled with shoe marks.

Also I feel that the beige color is totally unnecessary for the floor mats and carpets. It is very difficult to maintain them.
No wonder all higher segment cars (direct import/assembled) have all black interiors. Its the popular demand here that forces manufacturers to provide Beige color for the masses. I wish the fascination for Beige interiors goes away in India.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 4th August 2014 at 11:14.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 12:35   #2464
Geo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
1. Driver Door inner black plastic panel at the top gets pushed outward when the power window rolls down. The plastic panel sets itself inwards back into position after the window fully rolls up. It doesn't happen for all the other doors. Its not an issue per se, but I just want to get it checked during next service. Did anyone else face the same ?
The front windows roll down with a jerky start. I had pointed this out in my first service. The SA told me that this is by design, and there is nothing they could do about it. I think this 'feature' is mentioned in many reviews on TeamBHP.

Has anyone noticed another stuff related to rolling up rear power windows? If the (stock) music player is on, I can hear a squeaky noise when the rear power windows reach the top. The SA told it is present in many (all, according to him) VTec City's. He said it is something to do with a relay cut off. Hard to believe explanations.
Geo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 16:54   #2465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Has anyone noticed another stuff related to rolling up rear power windows? If the (stock) music player is on, I can hear a squeaky noise when the rear power windows reach the top. The SA told it is present in many (all, according to him) VTec City's. He said it is something to do with a relay cut off. Hard to believe explanations.
Difficult to digest. I tried to replicate this scenario in my car, but didn't hear any such noise. Maybe I didn't do it the right way. Would like to know what others have to say about this issue. Quite strange.
Old 4th August 2014, 18:41   #2466
BHPian

The water leakage was earlier identified from the audio system speakers & i was charged 5k to change the speaker rings + labour as these were aftermarket fitted JBLs. Even after that the water leakage continued so now for the 3rd week they have the car and now are saying it is leaking from the door panels - i have verified this while sitting with the SA in the car with a water jet wash being poured on the car outside. This is from the bottom, B-pillar side of the doors. They are fixing it now. Completely lost faith in the quality of Honda; shouldve gotten the Ciaz instead. :( Of what use is a new 10L rupee car that is unusable for 3 weeks because it does not provide shelter / is not rain waterproof!?
deepakv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 18:53   #2467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
The only downside as pointed out on my ownership thread is that they do come out marginally from body/mud guard coverage (maybe due to slightly wider alloys as well) so the lower part of the side doors always gets really messy during rains.
Interesting, I did quite some driving in the rain yesterday. Rain as well as slush and checked the side doors and the lower part and to my surprise there was not much of a mess. Will post some pictures later on my ownership thread. Is this something to do with the way the P3ST tire treads splash water ? I am sure there are some XM2 owners out there, are you folks having a similar issue - I don't seem to have this issue with the XM2.
Old 4th August 2014, 19:46   #2468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The water leakage was earlier identified from the audio system speakers & i was charged 5k to change the speaker rings + labour as these were aftermarket fitted JBLs. Even after that the water leakage continued so now for the 3rd week they have the car and now are saying it is leaking from the door panels - i have verified this while sitting with the SA in the car with a water jet wash being poured on the car outside. This is from the bottom, B-pillar side of the doors. They are fixing it now. Completely lost faith in the quality of Honda; shouldve gotten the Ciaz instead. :( Of what use is a new 10L rupee car that is unusable for 3 weeks because it does not provide shelter / is not rain waterproof!?
Finally the root cause has been identified. I believe this is a one off case until others report the same. I haven't faced any such issue.
Have driven in extremely heavy rains a few times. Done pressure washing and regular washing. There has been no leakage of any kind anywhere.
Old 4th August 2014, 20:26   #2469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Finally the root cause has been identified. I believe this is a one off case until others report the same. I haven't faced any such issue.
Have driven in extremely heavy rains a few times. Done pressure washing and regular washing. There has been no leakage of any kind anywhere.
Me too no issues till now of water leakage, driving in heavy rains and winds as well. Plus pressure washing done 4 times till now.

I think this issue must have been caused during transportation.

Well, the Ciaz is a good car, but just don't expect it to be trouble free as well rather any cars. I have seen people reporting complaints online about their Mercs as well.
Old 4th August 2014, 20:51   #2470
BHPian

Hello Buddies

I have been reading about the leakage issues. Has anybody of you written to Honda Cars India on their twitter, email or facebook ?

Even I'm facing an issue with the front suspension noise and even after reporting this at the first service the issue was not resolved. Then I simply emailed to Honda One2One and bang they caught hold of the dealer and now they are after me to get the car repaired from them.

Will post my ownership thread soon with all what I could find.

Regards
Harpreet
Old 4th August 2014, 21:49   #2471
BHPian

Quote:
Headlights aren't adequate. Specially the low beam. I am going to do a highway trip soon so need much better lights. Recommendations please?
For highbeam City uses HB3 bulbs. I have seen recommendation in this forum for Osram NB unlimited bulbs. I have bought them from powerbulbs.com, but havn't yet installed these.

Quote:
Have driven 1200 kms till now. Haven't experienced a single issue reported till now. Touch wood.
Maybe Honda is improving the quality as feedback is pouring in with the relative issues.
Me too, so far so good. The NVH seem to be at agreeable levels.

Quote:
My city is leaking rain water and is now in its second visit to the Solitaire workshop. Same issue with my colleagues city.
Yesterday I drove the car in extremely heavy rains of Kerala monsoon and found no issues of water leakage. The wipers were really great and car stability was good.

Quote:
I'm pretty happy with the overall experience (touch wood), I'm planning to get the following points clarified/corrected during the next service.

2. Rear left charging socket is not working. Just felt like checking if all 3 sockets are working and found this one. Have never used this socket, just tested it with a phone charger and didn't find it active/working.

3. The front power door mirrors motor doesn't turn on simultaneously, the left mirror opens/closes sooner than the right mirror.
1. I am seeing this 'feature' in my car as well. Not an issue I presume.

2 & 3. Will check on these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
The front windows roll down with a jerky start. I had pointed this out in my first service. The SA told me that this is by design, and there is nothing they could do about it. I think this 'feature' is mentioned in many reviews on TeamBHP.
Yes, I remember to have read it sometime back in the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Interesting, I did quite some driving in the rain yesterday. Rain as well as slush and checked the side doors and the lower part and to my surprise there was not much of a mess. Will post some pictures later on my ownership thread. Is this something to do with the way the P3ST tire treads splash water ? I am sure there are some XM2 owners out there, are you folks having a similar issue - I don't seem to have this issue with the XM2.
I think it could also be due to the wider alloys coupled with the wider tyre size.
Old 4th August 2014, 22:12   #2472
BHPian

Quote:
Yours just seems to be a one-off case. Like others I have had my car washed with Jet spray thrice in three months. Never experienced any leakages. Yesterday drove from Mumbai to Pune & back with sudden heavy downpours in between and also puddles of water through which I went at around 110-120 Kmph.

Agreed that yours is a genuine case of quality issue but really can't make it a generalised statement that Honda has not focused on the quality of Citys being delivered.

As for Ciaz, its not yet launched and not yet reviewed by anybody for Real-life goodness. So don't jump the gun by thinking that the Ciaz is going to be better that the City.
Old 4th August 2014, 22:35   #2473
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilagdr View Post

2 & 3. Will check on these.
checked these:
2. The rear left charging socket is working fine in my car.
3. In my case, both the mirrors fold and unfold simultaneously.

Obvious that the faults are a one-off situation in your car. So please get these rectified by the ASS.
Old 4th August 2014, 23:16   #2474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetsubhi View Post
Hello Buddies

Even I'm facing an issue with the front suspension noise and even after reporting this at the first service the issue was not resolved. Then I simply emailed to Honda One2One and bang they caught hold of the dealer and now they are after me to get the car repaired from them.

Regards
Harpreet
I am curious about your front suspension noise. Can you elaborate a bit more about it, since I have also been experiencing some suspension noise on my iDTEC. I complained about it to Honda dealers but they just dont seem to take it seriously.
Old 4th August 2014, 23:50   #2475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetsubhi View Post
Hello Buddies

I have been reading about the leakage issues. Has anybody of you written to Honda Cars India on their twitter, email or facebook ?

Regards
Harpreet
Can you please provide more information on the front suspension issues? Did you upsize the types or is the car running on stock tyres?

Most Viewed