Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2014, 20:43   #2536
Senior - BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selective View Post
.... the OTR price difference in Bangalore between diesel and petrol variants is around 1.7 Lacs. My yearly running would be around 15k kms, which doesnt justify the diesel unless petrol FE is too low.

With the assumption of average FE for petrol is 13 and 20 for diesel, and the average price difference of 15 Rs per liter between petrol and diesel, it would take almost 4 yrs to break even!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCook View Post
The overall FE for my car has been between 13.5-14 kmpl
You are spot on with your assessment of the overall FE for Petrol and Diesel.

I don't think one stands to gain or loose anything in the long run with the choice of Petrol or Diesel. Its just a choice between paying that 1.7 Lakhs upfront and enjoying the higher FE (and lower running cost in diesel) v/s enjoy the initial low investment for petrol but higher relative cost of running due to lower FE in petrol.
Put simply, its like cry once (read: higher investment) in case of diesel and cry every day in case of Petrol

After the break even point of 4 years, a diesel's maintenance is expected to be marginally higher compared to petrol as the car ages.

Also one has to consider that a person going for a diesel car will end up using it more(due to lower cost/km) compared to the scenario if he had bought a petrol car. This is statistically the case, so in reality, you can expect the break-even point to be less than your estimated 4 years if you go for diesel.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 8th August 2014 at 20:46.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 11:12   #2537
BHPian

Hi Friends,

A quick update !
After a lot of heated arguments and false promises from the sales reps, I will finally be getting my Honda City Idtec VX - MT Silver tomorrow.

I am really excited about this . Hopefully there are no more obstacles and I am able to get my ride on the auspicious occasion of Raksha Bandhan.

First add on planned is a tyre upgrade from 175/65 R15 to 195/65 R15 ( Continental Premium Contact 2) tyres. Have had an awesome experience with them.

:-)
Alive2Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 11:27   #2538

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post
Thanks for the update , lets see what new the service center would give us.

I might be sounding stupid however is this because of the high engine noise known in diesel versions that possibly people are not able to notice the sound.
However the sound that people are mentioning I guess is more like the "wizzz" sound that comes from the belt which can hardly be missed by regular users. IDTEC owners kindly pitch in with your inputs.

Hello shch,

Kindly let us know if the part is replaced and if the issue is fixed. If yes please share the part details as well with us as it might help many others.

cheers,
pdma.
Hello Team-Bhpians,

Sorry for the delayed reply on the update to my Honda City Petrol problems

Honda replaced the alternator belt for the noise problem. It worked fine for a about 1.5 months and the noise is back again!

Tap head noise is not resolved. Severe tap noise at cold start which only subsides after 10 to 15 kms of drive. Service advisors say it is nothing to worry about.

I have sent a strong mail to Honda today on both the issues. Let me see what they respond.

Has anyone faced tap head noise in the new Honda city petrol?

Thx
//Shekar
shch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 11:52   #2539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
<snip>
Put simply, its like cry once (read: higher investment) in case of diesel and cry every day in case of Petrol

<snip>
Maybe not daily. 1.7L gives me 2125 liters of petrol at 80 INR/Liter which should take me around 29,000 KM (average FE of 13.5 assumed). This is about 4 years of my planned usage at about 7500 km an year. Even without 4.5% interest in SB account for the reducing 1.7L, I am smiling for the 4 years because compared to the diesel dude (or dudette) I am driving for free.

The smile becomes wider when I consider the fact that the Diesel owner has to spend another 80,000 (assuming FE 0f 22 KMPL @ 60 INR) to drive the same 29,000 KM. Now this 80,000 is another 13,500 KM for me, almost two more years of smiling. This makes it a total of around 42,000 KM or just short of 6 years, being generous by ignoring the higher insurance and assorted maintenance costs in against the iDTEC and the reducing delta between petrol and diesel prices.

For me, the crying may start after about 6 years/44K kms.

Got my iVTEC SV on July 19th, ODO is not yet 500, the used route is Bannerghatta Road Bangalore and the indicated mileage is 10.2.
sun_king is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 18:28   #2540
BHPian

To all those who have already got their City:

1. I am going to get mine on Thursday, so need to get the tyres changed. I am being quoted obscene amount by various shops. Which would be the best place to get it done in Bangalore. My car is coming with XM1 tyres

2. Anyone got an idea on good 3d mats?

3. Planning to get the underbody treatment as well as the paint treatment..can I get this done at UB City 3M or do I need to go elsewhere?

4. Anyone have any idea on Sun screens for the side doors?

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 9th August 2014, 19:02   #2541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
I guess the Verna is going to have quite a good advantage of the situation here. The peoples love for the city is perfectly understandable but the Verna is unquestionably a damn good alternative. Better in some areas too.... What say folks?
Today went to test drive new city for a friend and was shocked with overall quality.
Definitely agree that Verna is better alternative after its suspension issues sorted.
Old 9th August 2014, 20:36   #2542

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
To all those who have already got their City:

1. I am going to get mine on Thursday, so need to get the tyres changed. I am being quoted obscene amount by various shops. Which would be the best place to get it done in Bangalore. My car is coming with XM1 tyres

2. Anyone got an idea on good 3d mats?

3. Planning to get the underbody treatment as well as the paint treatment..can I get this done at UB City 3M or do I need to go elsewhere?

4. Anyone have any idea on Sun screens for the side doors?

Thanks in advance guys.
My car came with MRF and I got them changed to XM2.
Price breakup for your reference: 5700 XM2 - 3400 MRF = 2300 X 5 = Rs. 11500.
I still have to get the other accessories.
Old 10th August 2014, 00:13   #2543
BHPian

Thanks man. Was this in Bangalore and which tyre shop?
Old 10th August 2014, 03:51   #2544

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Thanks man. Was this in Bangalore and which tyre shop?
This wasn't in Bangalore, these are the prices in Haryana.
Old 10th August 2014, 07:22   #2545
BHPian

It is my understanding that many among us would be first time consumers of a speed sensitive electric steering. It very well could be this lightness which is causing the feeling of twitching or whatever other term we'd like to call it. Give it sometime and I am sure most of such concerns will settle down. Also note that the spring stiffness has been increased due to which the ride will be sharper as compared to older models perhaps also giving that feeling. My suggestion is to experiment with tyre pressure and see what suits your driving needs best. Note that when cars are delivered, they come with an inordinate amount of air, almost 25%to 35% more air pressure. So do have it checked the same instant you go to get your gas tank filled.

Last edited by NevGin : 10th August 2014 at 07:35.
Old 10th August 2014, 10:11   #2546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
Today went to test drive new city for a friend and was shocked with overall quality.
Definitely agree that Verna is better alternative after its suspension issues sorted.
Pretty Startled with your response.

City has pretty much sold more numbers in 6 months than the Verna does in the whole of year.

There have been a lot of BHPians who have bought the New City and apart from one or two common issues, I don't think there is any major problems with the new City.

Just out of curiosity what departments did you really find the quality to be so bad that you were shocked.

I know I am a Proud New City owner and being that I could go biased on the City but surely would like to hear your opinion.
Old 10th August 2014, 10:26   #2547
BHPian

Even I am startled. The city had some quality issues which has been sorted out. It's a joy owning the car. Just went past 4500rpm, the car just takes off like a rocket ship.
Old 10th August 2014, 11:22   #2548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
Pretty Startled with your response.

City has pretty much sold more numbers in 6 months than the Verna does in the whole of year.

There have been a lot of BHPians who have bought the New City and apart from one or two common issues, I don't think there is any major problems with the new City.

Just out of curiosity what departments did you really find the quality to be so bad that you were shocked.

I know I am a Proud New City owner and being that I could go biased on the City but surely would like to hear your opinion.
Higher sales does not mean it is the best in the class. I did not say city has major issues, overall quality is that of a Maruti and I can say this confidently because we have a 2nd generation City in our family which we are still using. During those days quality of Honda was much above Maruti or Hyundai but not true any more.
Interior plastics is of same quality as that of a Swift, please have a look at plastic quality of i10 grand and compare with city. Please have a loot at that gear nob and compare that to in i10 grand. Look at the boot with exposed wiring, even on a M800 it is covered. 175 tyres, on a Swift Zxi it is 185. Door pads which is thin like a paper, check that on a Rapid or Vento. No coating in the rear wheel arch, check that again on a swift or i10. We did a TD of Rapid and city back to back (both diesel) and Rapids 250NM torque and wider torque range made lot of difference in city driveability.
Its positives are loaded with features, good exterior styling esp rear and lots of space.
B747 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 12:25   #2549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
Higher sales does not mean it is the best in the class. I did not say city has major issues, overall quality is that of a Maruti and I can say this confidently because we have a 2nd generation City in our family which we are still using. During those days quality of Honda was much above Maruti or Hyundai but not true any more.
Interior plastics is of same quality as that of a Swift, please have a look at plastic quality of i10 grand and compare with city. Please have a loot at that gear nob and compare that to in i10 grand. Look at the boot with exposed wiring, even on a M800 it is covered. 175 tyres, on a Swift Zxi it is 185. Door pads which is thin like a paper, check that on a Rapid or Vento. No coating in the rear wheel arch, check that again on a swift or i10. We did a TD of Rapid and city back to back (both diesel) and Rapids 250NM torque and wider torque range made lot of difference in city driveability.
Its positives are loaded with features, good exterior styling esp rear and lots of space.
The issues that you highlighted are already being highlighted by all the reviews across all sites. I certainly agree to it that this is not expected from Honda and certainly it would not have costed more to Honda to rectify these issues at the first place.

But then again no website has said that its a bad car to buy or prefer Verna over City. Also with regards to the Diesel engine, I will not comment as I did not do a TD and neither was I interested in buying a Diesel. The Petrol engine is by no means a less than capable city car as compared to any other sedan in its segment.

175s on City / 185s on Swift - Does it concern anybody? There are people who have upgraded (I did) and there are people who are driving on the 175s at fairly high speeds without any problem.

Boot with exposed wiring - It doesn't bother me in front of the pluses that the car has. I use the boot pretty often and although the wiring is exposed it does not create any obstruction or anything.

Higher sales surely means it is the segment leader and its there for a reason. It means that the positives of the product far outweigh the negatives of the product.

When you start comparing the new city with the 2nd Gen one, its like you are starting to compare all the modern electronic gadgets with the old-fashioned electronic gadgets (Say television sets or even mobile phones). You very well know that a television set / mobile phone manufactured 15 years earlier was of a much better build and quality than the ones that are manufactured now. Had a Nokia 3310 / 3315 been still available for sale would still go for a Motorola (Just an example) Android based phone at the same price. Definitely Yes. (Because its the overall product that counts and not one or two factors)
tejas08 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 12:42   #2550
BHPian

City is no doubt a good car but definitely has some short comings as pointed above. Verna is no way inferior to city and may be even better as far as the engine goes. It was the segment leader in fact till the city was launched. What works for the city in the present scenario is that Verna is 2011 model and doubts over a new version is very much in the rounds. Plus the new honda engine promise a very good mileage and the trust people have in Honda is unimaginable in India! ! So overall you have a winner in City the day it was launched. I guess many people won't have even taken test drives of other cars and blindly booked the city. Moreover the after sales service and the resale value of Honda is much better.
So I think these reasons make city the winner and not that it is perfect in all senses.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks