Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2014, 13:43   #2716
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Hi guys. The month long extension of waiting due to production stoppage is getting on my nerves. I booked mine, an SV CVT in May ending. Dealer still is clueless. Anyone else has the same problem? Anyone has any info regarding resume of the deliveries and how are the cars allotted to the dealers?
Old 2nd September 2014, 14:20   #2717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
On the FE question, here are my observations as an IVTEC owner - On a highway, for a good ride, it can go up to 20 kmpl or even 24 kmpl (if the roads are really good). This is consistent. I have only done close to 2000 kms.

But as the traffic increases, FE drops. In bumper to bumper traffic, it drops to less than 10 or around 9 for me. In slightly better conditions, I get around 11 to 12 kmpl consistently.
Same goes with CVT variants. On really bad bumper to bumper traffic, FE falls to around 8.5 kmpl and on open highways, it goes to about 20kmpl. I've clocked close to 4000 km. Lately, I've stopped worrying about FE and have been enjoying drive more. I usually keep ECON off and move to S mode when I see a nice open patch and the car just zooms. The MID is usually set to 'Range' mode. I just wish they had given a larger tank on the petrol variants and a bit higher range in reserve. I normally get visual notification to go to gas station once I see the low fuel indicator and at that point MID shows be range of about 25km only. My i10 used to have about 5 litres in reserve and so would easily go 50km at least post the indicator.

Also, the MID seems pretty accurate. I tested with tank full method and its off by 0.3-0.4 kmpl max.
Old 2nd September 2014, 14:36   #2718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
Same goes with CVT variants. On really bad bumper to bumper traffic, FE falls to around 8.5 kmpl and on open highways, it goes to about 20kmpl. I've clocked close to 4000 km. Lately, I've stopped worrying about FE and have been enjoying drive more. I usually keep ECON off and move to S mode when I see a nice open patch and the car just zooms. The MID is usually set to 'Range' mode. I just wish they had given a larger tank on the petrol variants and a bit higher range in reserve. I normally get visual notification to go to gas station once I see the low fuel indicator and at that point MID shows be range of about 25km only. My i10 used to have about 5 litres in reserve and so would easily go 50km at least post the indicator.

Also, the MID seems pretty accurate. I tested with tank full method and its off by 0.3-0.4 kmpl max.
Same with me here on my CVT as well. There were occasions when FE dropped to 7.8 during bumper to bumper but zoomed back to 10 and 11 once the road was clear.

Neel - I guess you should not wait till the fuel indicator blinks up. It's always better to fill up when the fuel indicator shows half way which will result in increased FE. Too much low petrol in the tank can cause problems to the catalytic converter. This is mentioned in the owner's manual.
adarsh76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 07:18   #2719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight.rider View Post
Hi guys. The month long extension of waiting due to production stoppage is getting on my nerves. I booked mine, an SV CVT in May ending. Dealer still is clueless. Anyone else has the same problem? Anyone has any info regarding resume of the deliveries and how are the cars allotted to the dealers?

Well,I am in the same boat as yours!! But waiting since may is definitely too long!! I called up my dealer and he told me that every month beginning there are allocations to a particular dealer by the company and depending on that the dealer intimates it's customers. There were no allocations for August and September list will come by 5th of this month. I was promised a delivery by sep end which is now shifted to October end( if everything goes smoothly!)
Hope the Ciaz impacts the sales of City and the waiting period decreases. I am planning to have a look at the Ciaz myself.

Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP
DoctorKK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 10:48   #2720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorKK View Post
....Plus when I test drove the diesel and petrol,I found the diesel more responsive and fun to drive,any inputs regarding the fun factor between the two?
Having driven the petrol so long,I am skeptical of buying the petrol again and suffer every time I refuel. But frankly speaking,totally confused at the moment!!
I am surprised that you found the Diesel more fun to drive. I would recommend that you try the petrol again and may be at a different dealer to rule out a bad car.

As far as driving pleasure is concerned iVtech takes the cake especially in the manual variant. I consistently get sub 10 sec 0 -100. The diesel takes a full 4.5 sec more. The iVtech is a clear class topper as far as performance goes in this segment and has no match ( Compared to 1.2 TSI /Linea TJet etc ).

At lower RPM the engine is pretty tractable ( an improvement over the earlier i -Vtech). The car starts flying past 3000 RPM.

As far as diesel goes i found the performance of Verna and even the new Sunny better than the city. But of course for the Diesel Honda has focused on Fuel economy. And in fuel economy it is the best at the moment.

Last edited by JediKnight : 3rd September 2014 at 10:49. Reason: Typo
JediKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 10:58   #2721
BHPian

@Doctorkk, thanks for your reply.
The Ciaz is a good overall package. Hope it brings waiting for City down. Incidentally, the waiting list for Verna an obvious second choice, has gone up a month due to a gamut of discounts.
Old 3rd September 2014, 11:13   #2722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
I am surprised that you found the Diesel more fun to drive. I would recommend that you try the petrol again and may be at a different dealer to rule out a bad car.

As far as driving pleasure is concerned iVtech takes the cake especially in the manual variant. I consistently get sub 10 sec 0 -100. The diesel takes a full 4.5 sec more. The iVtech is a clear class topper as far as performance goes in this segment and has no match ( Compared to 1.2 TSI /Linea TJet etc ).

At lower RPM the engine is pretty tractable ( an improvement over the earlier i -Vtech). The car starts flying past 3000 RPM.

As far as diesel goes i found the performance of Verna and even the new Sunny better than the city. But of course for the Diesel Honda has focused on Fuel economy. And in fuel economy it is the best at the moment.
Although i totally agree that the petrol is a different animal altogether , but driving in city and upshifting in the 2k range (which most of the urban population has to do because of the traffic) , the diesel feels far more responsive , out on the open road there is no competition but surely it is not 4 sec slower to 100 than the petrol , i used to drive i20 P which used to take about 15 seconds to 100 and the city feels much quicker , also According to Overdrive it takes 12.xx seconds to 100 and that figure seems more believable.
Old 3rd September 2014, 11:45   #2723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
Although i totally agree that the petrol is a different animal altogether , but driving in city and upshifting in the 2k range (which most of the urban population has to do because of the traffic) , the diesel feels far more responsive , out on the open road there is no competition but surely it is not 4 sec slower to 100 than the petrol , i used to drive i20 P which used to take about 15 seconds to 100 and the city feels much quicker , also According to Overdrive it takes 12.xx seconds to 100 and that figure seems more believable.
I own a CVT but I'd test driven the manual. The manual petrol can easily cruise in 4th gear even at 20 kph speed in City without downshifting. It's only when there is a slope you have to downshift. The Diesel is not at all a match for Petrol in terms of speed and responsiveness. Below are the AutoCarIndia figures for Petrol and Diesel respectively:

0-20 1.24 / 1.75 sec
0-40 2.50 / 3.69 sec
0-60 4.44 / 6.00 sec
0-80 6.95 / 9.92 sec
0-100 10.13 / 14.75 sec
0-120 14.64 / 21.54 sec
0-140 19.93 / 32.04 sec
0-160 29.16 / NA
0-180 44.16 / NA

The in gear acceleration (20 - 80 kph) and (40 - 100 kph) are not mentioned in their website but it's mentioned in their magazines. There also the manual Petrol is ahead of Diesel. The CVT is slower than manual but still faster than Diesel. The in gear acceleration of CVT is better than Manual when driven in kick down mode. This is also mentioned in the magazine.

For City driving, Honda City Petrol is still the best. The Ciaz Petrol as per the initial reviews, doesn't have the responsiveness of City and the Automatic is 4 speed which makes it non comparable to the CVT. However, FE may be on the higher side for Ciaz, by how much needs to be seen.

But, the Diesel Ciaz is a different ball game it seems. Honda City should be worried more in this area to Ciaz now. On paper, it seems to be better than City. Once the full reviews come, we will have a complete picture.

Last edited by adarsh76 : 3rd September 2014 at 11:47.
adarsh76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 12:02   #2724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
I own a CVT but I'd test driven the manual. The manual petrol can easily cruise in 4th gear even at 20 kph speed in City without downshifting. It's only when there is a slope you have to downshift. The Diesel is not at all a match for Petrol in terms of speed and responsiveness. Below are the AutoCarIndia figures for Petrol and Diesel respectively:

0-20 1.24 / 1.75 sec
0-40 2.50 / 3.69 sec
0-60 4.44 / 6.00 sec
0-80 6.95 / 9.92 sec
0-100 10.13 / 14.75 sec
0-120 14.64 / 21.54 sec
0-140 19.93 / 32.04 sec
0-160 29.16 / NA
0-180 44.16 / NA

The in gear acceleration (20 - 80 kph) and (40 - 100 kph) are not mentioned in their website but it's mentioned in their magazines. There also the manual Petrol is ahead of Diesel. The CVT is slower than manual but still faster than Diesel. The in gear acceleration of CVT is better than Manual when driven in kick down mode. This is also mentioned in the magazine.

For City driving, Honda City Petrol is still the best. The Ciaz Petrol as per the initial reviews, doesn't have the responsiveness of City and the Automatic is 4 speed which makes it non comparable to the CVT. However, FE may be on the higher side for Ciaz, by how much needs to be seen.

But, the Diesel Ciaz is a different ball game it seems. Honda City should be worried more in this area to Ciaz now. On paper, it seems to be better than City. Once the full reviews come, we will have a complete picture.
Actually i was talking about how the car really feels to drive than the on-paper data , like i said according to ACI , the city isn't much quicker to 100 than my i20 petrol , but there is a huge difference in their real world performance , i obviously agree and have mentioned in my post that the petrol is a different animal altogether and i do admit it is more fun to drive , my logic was maybe he found the diesel peppier because he must have driven in the 2k range and in that range the city diesel 'feels' more responsive than the petrol , i also said that overdrive's number (12.xx second) to 100 for the city diesel feels more believable than Autocar's 14.75 seconds , it does'nt feel 4 sec slower than petrol to 100.
Old 3rd September 2014, 12:06   #2725
BHPian

Hello all,

The feeble microphone in the SV variant is now starting to get on my nerves. More than half the people I call using the in-car bluetooth are not able to hear me. Seems like the microphone is either wrongly placed, or it has not been provided with enough amplification.

Any one who has found a workaround or checked with Honda on rectifying the same?
Old 3rd September 2014, 12:30   #2726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditto View Post
Hello all,

The feeble microphone in the SV variant is now starting to get on my nerves. More than half the people I call using the in-car bluetooth are not able to hear me. Seems like the microphone is either wrongly placed, or it has not been provided with enough amplification.

Any one who has found a workaround or checked with Honda on rectifying the same?
I guess people with SV have shifted to separate Bluetooth headset. One person who raised a compliant got a complexly worded answer which essentially meant nothing can be done

On other notes, Honda released the numbers for August and as everyone had been hearing the City Production was halted for August to let Mobilio clock the sale. More details here: URL

With the launch of Ciaz, I doubt if Honda can take such risks anymore. I think Maruti has taken the City as a reference point and bettered it in most aspects such as wheelbase, FE etc. The engine appears lower powered but reviews say 0-100 is in 11.xx secs. I do see that Cruise Control is missing on the Ciaz. I guess it will be serious competition for the City and Verna in the coming months
Old 3rd September 2014, 15:32   #2727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello all,

Any one who's has found a workaround or checked with Honda on rectifying the same?
As my Jawbone bluetooth was giving some problems I started using the Bluetooth of car couple of days back. Have been on call with many people and none of them have complained of low voice or anything else. Let's see how it goes.
Old 3rd September 2014, 15:59   #2728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
When was this replaced and roughly how many kms have you done after the replacement?

I find your car is a manual gear model. If the root cause is engine idler bearing, will it be the same for CVT as well?
It was replaced during the first free service. I have clocked 4000 kms after the replacement. Haven't faced any issues thereon.
feroz_009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 17:15   #2729

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight.rider View Post
Hi knight rider,

I had booked my VX-CVT in April and I just received a call from my SA that the car would be invoiced by Sep 23 with delivery during October first week after Registration. He also told me that the invoice would be from Noida. I am puzzled as I was under the impression that the City production had shifted to Tapukara plant in Rajasthan. Anyway I am quite eager to take delivery after the long long wait. I would suggest that you write to Honda directly asking them for the status. The email id is customer_relations@hondacarindia.com
Bookr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 18:07   #2730
Geo
BHPian

Quote:
I know this sounds a bit illogical, but give it a try

The voice levels are different for each source. So next time you call, please try moving the volume knob on the center console all the way up and give it a shot. I think there is some connection between the volume knob and your mic volume. Just a gut feel.

Last edited by Geo : 3rd September 2014 at 18:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks