Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2014, 22:02   #3001
Senior - BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Recently got my car pressure washed.
I saw them directing the water jet into the engine bay. I was a bit apprehensive but allowed them to go ahead.

Everything is fine after the engine bay wash. But it has left behind a lingering thought about carrying such engine bay washes in future.

Can pressure washing the engine bay of a Honda City 2014 Diesel potentially
1) Risk getting the water into the Air Intake and cause an engine hydro static lock later ?
2) Possibly damage the ECU ? (Where is the ECU located in the City)
3) or are there any other risks/other kind of potential issues cropping up ?

I would not have allowed pressure washing of the engine bay in my earlier car (Palio) as the ECU sits exposed and water can easily damage it.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 15th October 2014 at 22:13.
Old 15th October 2014, 22:09   #3002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aga_sahab View Post
Wider Tyres will increase "rolling" friction and increase air drag. I believe that the difference might be as small as 0.5km/l for petrol. I firmly believe that if air pressure is kept properly(maybe slightly high) then at low speeds there might be no observable difference. It might be more at speeds above 80km/hr where air drag is a bigger factor. I doubt it will be any worse than a hyundai verna petrol.
If FE is priority, drive diesel.
Ofcourse FE is a very important aspect, but not a high priority. Priority is Automatic Transmission for me.

Moreover, I'm not feeling any kind of real discomfort with these stock tires. No serious handling issues. So, I am not inclined towards an upgrade straightaway. But yes, will definitely upgrade at 10000 kms or once these tires near the end of their lifespan.
Old 15th October 2014, 22:17   #3003
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Recently got my car pressure washed. I saw them directing the water jet into the engine bay. I was a bit apprehensive but allowed them to go ahead.
Be it a an old car or a new one, I will not let anyone touch the engine bay with water.

I can't sit and think of niggling issues that could develop at a later stage, hydrolocking is far thought. I do advice you to be careful from the next time when you go for such car wash. Why not get it cleaned using air pressure by using it sensibly and a damp cloth?

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 12:56   #3004
Max
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Recently got my car pressure washed.
I saw them directing the water jet into the engine bay. I was a bit apprehensive but allowed them to go ahead.

Everything is fine after the engine bay wash. But it has left behind a lingering thought about carrying such engine bay washes in future.
Don't worry, its okay to pressure wash car inside engine bay. Just make sure, all the wires are properly coated, if not, coat them with electric tape. Make sure nothing electronic, air filter etc., is open.
Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 17:56   #3005
dmv
BHPian

Re-posting from the "4th Gen Honda City Tyre Upgrade" thread.

Any updates regarding warranty claims from Bangalore folks who've upgraded their tyres to 195/60R15 ? I am being strongly discouraged by Dakshin Honda (taking delivery from there shortly) guys saying the warranty on the suspension will be void, but a Whitefield Honda SA suggested it may be ok.

Also, the TBHP review mentions it may be possible to get the ORVM auto lock/unlock activated at dealer level. Has anybody done this ?

Thx !!
Old 16th October 2014, 19:41   #3006
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmv View Post
I am being strongly discouraged by Dakshin Honda (taking delivery from there shortly) guys saying the warranty on the suspension will be void ...
I was informed that upsizing the Tyres would specifically void the suspension and Power-Steering warranty.
If you have extended warranty, sticking to OEM tyres would be the better option to avoid warranty issues.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 22:58   #3007
BHPian

Dear All ,

On the Hydro locking issue Iam sure most of you are following the other thread as well , as pointed out by many Amaze owners looks like Honda has addressed this issue and fixed the faulty air intake on the IDtec from 2013.

Also I received the below email from Honda today ,

Cheers,
pdma.
Old 16th October 2014, 23:21   #3008
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post
Dear All ,

On the Hydro locking issue Iam sure most of you are following the other thread as well , as pointed out by many Amaze owners looks like Honda has addressed this issue and fixed the faulty air intake on the IDtec from 2013.

Also I received the below email from Honda today ,
Isn't that both a good news and bad news?

Good because they have solved the issue,

Bad because the affected batches haven't been called for repair (may be the owners were called personally rather than issuing a recall notice).

Seeing the reply, I was ROFL!

The are saying owners shouldn't drive in water logged even at the height of the sidewall. it is ridiculous.

Whatever it is now, hope these type of cases do not repeat.

Anurag.
Old 18th October 2014, 11:11   #3009

Today noticed something unusual in my City diesel. I had filled up my tank 3 days back and has driven about 100 odd kms. Yesterday night my Range was 722kms. Today morning as I was driving I noticed the range to be 781kms and the fuel indicator in full. Initially I thought it was due to my driving but my joy was short-lived as the Range and fuel indicator remained constant for the next 23kms. I guess something wrong with it! But other controls are working fine. My earlier K10 was driven in worse conditions yet never had something like this! I am planning to take it to the service technician on Monday! The car is only 8 months old and has done about 17600 kms! Has anyone else faced this on the New City?
Old 18th October 2014, 12:57   #3010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashmonyklik View Post
Today noticed something unusual in my City diesel. I had filled up my tank 3 days back and has driven about 100 odd kms. Yesterday night my Range was 722kms. Today morning as I was driving I noticed the range to be 781kms and the fuel indicator in full. Initially I thought it was due to my driving but my joy was short-lived as the Range and fuel indicator remained constant for the next 23kms. I guess something wrong with it! But other controls are working fine. My earlier K10 was driven in worse conditions yet never had something like this! I am planning to take it to the service technician on Monday! The car is only 8 months old and has done about 17600 kms! Has anyone else faced this on the New City?
Nothing alarming; I think Your fuel level sensor is stuck. ASS should be able to solve it fast.
Seran Manian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2014, 19:18   #3011
BHPian

Got the 3rd free servicing done for my car today.

Odometer - 4625 Kms
Total Bill - Rs. 1,448

Well the only major issue I had before the servicing was the grinding noise. Had the Service advisor listen to noise first thing as soon as I reached the Service Center. He did acknowledge the issue and assured to take care of that.

When the final invoice was shown to me for the payment, it said 'Engine Noise checked and Found OK'. This got me all agitated and asked for the service advisor who checked the engine noise.

Finally, they could not locate him as it was lunch time. Then I asked another service advisor to accompany me and told him that I am not going to make the payment till I am convinced that the sound is gone. Went through some checks after running the engine for some time and found that the grinding sound was not there. Asked him what they had done and they informed that the had cleaned the drive belt and stuff like that. I said I will watch for some time and if required be back.

Drove almost 15 Kms from the service center to my house and after parking the vehicle kept it idling. Didn't hear that grinding noise as such. Keeping the fingers crossed.
tejas08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2014, 08:11   #3012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
Got the 3rd free servicing done for my car today.

Odometer - 4625 Kms
Total Bill - Rs. 1,448

Well the only major issue I had before the servicing was the grinding noise. Had the Service advisor listen to noise first thing as soon as I reached the Service Center. He did acknowledge the issue and assured to take care of that.

When the final invoice was shown to me for the payment, it said 'Engine Noise checked and Found OK'. This got me all agitated and asked for the service advisor who checked the engine noise.

Finally, they could not locate him as it was lunch time. Then I asked another service advisor to accompany me and told him that I am not going to make the payment till I am convinced that the sound is gone. Went through some checks after running the engine for some time and found that the grinding sound was not there. Asked him what they had done and they informed that the had cleaned the drive belt and stuff like that. I said I will watch for some time and if required be back.

Drove almost 15 Kms from the service center to my house and after parking the vehicle kept it idling. Didn't hear that grinding noise as such. Keeping the fingers crossed.
I think it should be some thing connected to the belt. Please do keep us posted about it. Another 500 kms if it not there you can be sure that it is solved. The car being a newly released one, are we worried morec than necessary?
Old 19th October 2014, 09:15   #3013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
I think it should be some thing connected to the belt. Please do keep us posted about it. Another 500 kms if it not there you can be sure that it is solved. The car being a newly released one, are we worried morec than necessary?
I was discussing this with another BHPian yesterday and the point that came up was did Honda use any spray (the one which some people have been talking about on the forum - I do not know what that spray is) to get rid of the issue. Anyways I am going to keep a watch on this. Will keep people posted.

I don't think worry would be the right word. It is more of that such niggling issues can take away your peace of mind till it gets solved. There are a lot of people who are facing this problem and nobody had really any problem other than the sound in this case. With extended warranty (Which almost everybody buys these days) you really wouldn't be worried about the issue.
tejas08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2014, 20:36   #3014
BHPian

1. Drove home my Silver Queen today as planned. Thanks a lot to the BHPians whose previous experiences and detailed analysis including the Pre Delivery Inspection list from which I have benefited tons. Finally I could hand over my wife her birthday gift as promised as promised and on the scheduled date.
2. Reached the Deep Honda showroom in Bathinda at 1100 hrs as planned and had informed the Sales Executive of the same in advance to avoid unnecessary delay.
3. Got all papers which were required to be furnished including the Booking receipt and Team BHP PDI list printout.
4. I had previously called up and informed that I wanted to see the anti-rust treatment and Teflon coating getting done in my presence. So it all started once I reached the showroom. Two things I want to mention here : The anti rust treatment seemed to me a mere black rubber based paint coat and the Teflon coating which was being done by people donning 3M CAR CARE uniforms was more of a polish job with 3M Polish compound. I have nothing against Deep Honda as after reading few threads I found that maybe that is what is being done by all dealers across the country, I was even promised three more coats and maintenance by 3M CAR CARE as a package. I was also advised not to use wet cloth to clean the car for next 72 hours. If thats TEFLON coating, Im happy.
5. After washing, cleaning, anti rust and teflon coating the car was ready at the delivery platform under a red wrap for us to unveil and a small cake cutting ceremony was also organised by the sales team. Amidst "Congratulations... and celebrations" tune, we cut the cake, unveiled the car and then in proper Indian style, Puja was done and a coconut broken. A highly satisfactory and memorable experience courtesy Deep Honda.
6. Few more points I want to share here:
(a) I took over the car with odo reading only 3.4 kms whereas some people have reported almost a three digit figure showing in the odo prior to delivery. Just wondering how is so much of a difference possible?
(b) After driving out from the showroom, I felt the ride was a bit bumpy, which reminded me of a post by a fellow BHPian that most newly delivered cars are over inflated. So I took the first U turn and came back to the showroom to get the tyre pressure checked, and to my shock, found that all the tyres were reading 51 psi against recommended 35 psi.
(c) I was told by the sales person that there would be approximately 6-8 litres of petrol in the tank. But I decided to go for a full tank straightaway. In the auto cut mode, I could fill 38.01 litres. Was it an incorrect judgement by the sales guy or some error at the filling station?
(d) During filling of the documents, The sales guy was insisting that I go in for an add on insurance cover for hydrostatic lock. When I asked him what it actually meant, he said that it was for some damage to the sump from debris damage etc. When I asked him that hydrostatic lock had nothing to do with damage to sump (courtesy knowledge gained in this forum) and that it was not much of a problem for the petrol engines due to the position of the air intake, he did not press on with it. But why is Honda Assure providing an additional cover for hydrostatic lock?
(e) I bought the car from Bathinda which is almost 82 kms from my residence. On the way back, used the Cruise Control feature extensively and the MID was showing an average of 19.9 kmpl. I cannot comment on the correctness of the reading, but I have beaten the ARAI claimed mileage of Petrol City today...
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20141019_180026.jpg  

aviator1101 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2014, 20:47   #3015

Congrats!!
A beauty indeed.
82 kms from Bathinda, I assume you are from Faridkot?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks