Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2016, 12:04   #4546
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

I have been reading a lot of updates on the New Honda City, well my VX CVT has now clocked over 21000 km's , in June will be two years old. This was one of the first CVT's sold so had to be recalled for software upgrade. Barring a door beading that had given me some problems by repeatedly coming out and had to be replaced, this car has proved to be a gem of a car. Brilliant to drive in in City and a good car for the highway too, the CVT is a true drivers car. The fuel economy is 14.5 as on today with city driving, silent engine , smooth as silk to drive. Are there squeaks , I guess there are some times, is it a pleasure to drive, YES it is. I would strongly recommend this car , compared to my Linea which I traded in for this one, that's like comparing a tractor with a sedan. No quality issues, reliable , easy to drive and brilliant fuel economy , and an automatic to beat the blues in a jam , they have a happy customer in me.
chatto63 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 12:14   #4547
BHPian

I agree with the petrol city being absolutely silent. What an engine! And coupled with synthetic oil the engine is virtually inaudible and super smooth. The Michelin 3st adds to the silence. The city is indeed a pleasure to drive.
fastraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2016, 01:23   #4548

Guys,

Today I dropped my 2014 Honda City off for the 30K service and was informed by the SA that there is yet another recall. Honda City cars manufactured between Dec '13 and Jul '15 are being recalled to replace a faulty fuel return pipe. Please check if your car is part of the campaign by validating against your Honda City's Chassis number:

https://hondacarindia.com/PUD5VG/6FR...erInquiry.aspx

Best,
KnJr
KnJr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 10:28   #4549
BHPian

I recently bought some stuff to keep up the cleanliness of my Oct '15 City. Right now she is nearing 3000 km mark and I was hoping to keep her sparkling as always!

Part One includes the various cleaners:

1. 3M Dashboard Dresser: I personally liked this a lot, would give a 9/10 rating. It cleans and shines up all part of the dash as well as other plastic parts.

2. 3M Glass Cleaners: Reminds pretty much of our household Colin cleaner, but does a neat job.

3. Formula 1 Car wash and Carnuba Wax: Does as said, nothing out of the way to mention here.

4. Formula 1 Dry Clean: To clean out the carpet easily if we are too lazy to clean it up with a detergent-wash-dry.

5. Formula 1 Mr. Leather: It does clean the stains of your leather upholstery but put a lot of effort on polishing with that dry cloth. I think a foam solutions would be a better option.

6. Others: Formula 1 sponge, 3M microfiber cloth and the most recommended Jopasu cleaner!

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-wp_20160117_002.jpg

Part Two includes the machines:

1. Bosch AQT 35-12: A good pressure washer which wipes off the mud and grit from your car easily. If you plan to buy it, it is not ready-to-work-out-of-box. You would need a 1/2" garden hose to connect the machine to your tap. Also, a 16 A socket extension would be needed.
The device can prime detergent and mix it with water to efficiently clean the car. Its a tad noisy though!

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-wp_20160117_001.jpg

2. Coido 6016 Polisher: This one is yet to be delivered. There were better alternatives from Bosch but the price difference was too much. Bosch polisher retailed around 14k (online 9k). I got a bargain from Paytm at 1.5k, so took the plunge. Link at Amazon.

Anyways, if anyone was interested in any of the products you can check the public wishlist I had made: Car Care Wishlist on Amazon.

Please note that I'm not advertising any of these products and I'm not linked to any of the companies in anyway. Also, none of the links are affiliate links!
Old 17th January 2016, 14:18   #4550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinee View Post
Some real world numbers:
I leave early (7:30AM) to office on few days and the mileage has been around 13.5 to 14 km/l. Bumper to bumper Bangalore traffic mileage is around 10KM/l. Overall I am getting 11-11.5 which I feel is good for my VX CVT.
This is really nice. My mileage figures are much lower on my CVT which has upgraded Michelin P3ST 195/60 tyres and AC always on and ECON always off.

On a weekday, my City CVT is mainly used to pick up/drop kids and speedometer would be mainly around 20s and would be more of stop and go (typical bangalore traffic). My mileage would be around 7 kmpl.

When I take my car to office (which I seldom do), I get around 11 kmpl. This is when I leave around 7:30am and a stretch of 20 km which takes about an hour.

The same stretch when driven on evening took about 2.5 hours and mileage returned was 5.5 kmpl

Highway mileage is a different level altogether where I usually get around 18kmpl. My recent trip to Chennai returned me an overall mileage of 15kmpl (AC always on and max speed of about 110kmpl). On highways, I usually use cruise mode with ECON ON.

I'm sure there is some room of improvement in driving style which would help in increasing overall mileage. For me however the most important thing was the ease of an automatic car in a city like Bangalore and thats where the City tops. The monthly runs are pretty low so mileage was never that important.
neel911 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 14:27   #4551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnJr View Post
Guys,

Today I dropped my 2014 Honda City off for the 30K service and was informed by the SA that there is yet another recall. Honda City cars manufactured between Dec '13 and Jul '15 are being recalled to replace a faulty fuel return pipe. Please check if your car is part of the campaign by validating against your Honda City's Chassis number:

Best,
KnJr
That was done last month. I want to know if anyone has gone for the recall? I filled the form last month and mentioned Classic Honda as my dealer but no one has approached me yet. Any inputs?
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 17:44   #4552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keviv View Post
Without music playing in the car, the amount of traffic noise I get to hear is higher than what I believe is acceptable.
No two ways about this. Insulation is just poor, be it diesel or petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRN View Post
I for one feel that the insulation is pretty good (Petrol CVT) and eons better than my Swift earlier.
Sound insulation of City is worst in the segment. I can't compare it with the Swift but compared to Verna, Vento etc, City's is poorest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinee View Post
Exactly. My brother drives a Verito and he was stunned when I started rolling the car, while he thought I have not started the car :-)
You are confusing between engine sound and sound insulation. The 1.5 iVtech is the most silent engine I have driven, no doubts about that. But sound insulation on City is not at par with the segment. I drive a Fiesta and when I drove my friend's 4th gen City petrol, on 2 occasions I checked for an open window and once I got scared of the sound of a bus as if it suddenly came too close to the car though it was at a safe distance.
Old 17th January 2016, 21:54   #4553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
That was done last month. I want to know if anyone has gone for the recall? I filled the form last month and mentioned Classic Honda as my dealer but no one has approached me yet. Any inputs?
No one approached me as well though I registered. I think they will do it along with the next regular service. When I called the SA said it would be a full day work and they would do an engine oil change as well.
Old 17th January 2016, 23:24   #4554
BHPian

Hey guys can anyone post the breakdown for their regular service+oil change in your 4th Gen City?
Old 18th January 2016, 04:48   #4555

I missed mentioning that the recall update is only for the Diesel models. 2014 Honda City Petrol(head) owners can relax, at least for now.

Quote:
Hey harry10,

Got the recall update applied to my car. Below is the summary of the work done. Perhaps calling Classic Honda and booking a service appointment specifically for this might be of help.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-recall_spread1.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
No one approached me as well though I registered. I think they will do it along with the next regular service. When I called the SA said it would be a full day work and they would do an engine oil change as well.
You are right vsrivatsa,

They said it is a full day's job mainly because there is a dedicated technician team which works over time specifically on the recall update. They only work after the regular hours. It also might be a good idea to check with your SA on the number of cars they have to deliver on the day you are interested to get the recall update. We do not want an already overworked tech to forget something when reattaching those tiny little hoses in the fuel system!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iss1307 View Post
Hey guys can anyone post the breakdown for their regular service+oil change in your 4th Gen City?
Hey iss1307,

Going through some of the 2014 Honda City ownership reports would give you a general idea. Here is malgudi's summary of service costs.

My 30000KM service costed around Rs. 5700. Here are things which are part of the standard routine (except for the Engine Oil. This was free as part of the Recall, as vsrivatsa has pointed out).

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-30kservice.jpg

Below are things I requested for.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-30kservice1.jpg

Slightly Off Topic: In case you guys are wondering what 3M Engine Bay care results in:

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-3m-engine-bay-care.jpg

Water drops form beads on top of the coating and roll away, hopefully avoiding rust formation. Dust settles on top of the coating after 3-4 months.

Have a good one,
KnJr
KnJr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 18:03   #4556
BHPian

I own a 2012 Honda City. I would like to know if anyone has ever thought of installing plastic wheel arc liners for the rear wheel. The rear wheel area, as marked in the image is a major eye-sore, and easily accumulates a lot of dirt. The edges are too sharp. There is a chance one could hurt himself while cleaning the area.

Current and previous gen Honda City owners have you thought about it? I feel it is a necessity. I am thinking of buying wheel arc liners from some other manufacturer and install it, as Honda doesn't provide the same. This is cost-cutting at its best. Has anyone done it? If yes, do share your thoughts. Installing the covers will:

1) not allow dirt and water to accumulate on the metal area. No rusting issue.

2) allow cleaning of the rear-wheel area hassle-free. No more injuries.

3) enhance the look of the car. Currently without covers, it looks pretty bad. At least to me.

4) bring down road noise to some level.

Is it possible, or am I missing something here? Guys please share your inputs.

Moderators: I am not sure whether the issue I have raised is Off-topic. If yes, do let me know the appropriate section for the same.
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20140804_172836.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-wheel_arch_front_vista_2.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-autocarwheelarchlinerxdd0178.jpg  

Old 19th January 2016, 18:44   #4557
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
The SA called my dad about a couple of weeks back and asked if he can drop the car to the service centre to fix the faulty fuel pipe as a part of the recall or else someone from Honda would come and drive down the car to the service centre.

My dad took the car there, the fuel pipe was replaced and as a good gesture they cleaned the interiors, did a quick overall check-up of the car, replaced the trunk rubber beading which had taken a beating during our Kashmir trip and washed it clean before delivery.

All within a few hours and no penny charged.

Last edited by //M : 19th January 2016 at 18:51.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 18:53   #4558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnJr View Post
Guys,

Best,
KnJr
Thanks KnJr for highlighting this. I checked the Honda link you gave and it turns out that my City is part of the recall. Have filled in the details and will now have to wait for the dealer (Crystal Honda) to call back.

From your second post it sounds like directly booking a service appointment might be a better idea. So probably I will wait for a few days before I reach out to them.

Thanks,
AkshatR
Old 19th January 2016, 19:21   #4559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeprevving View Post
Brings down road noise to some level..
I agree with all the points you've mentioned about fender cladding. It is really deplorable on the manufacturer's part to drop such essential things for cost-cutting. Apart from preventing rusting, the cladding reduces road noise to a substantial level.

Quote:
I am thinking of buying wheel arc liners from some other manufacturer and install it, as Honda doesn't provide the same.
+1 to that.

You can install third party fender liners. You may get it done from a car accessory shop or DIY (Do-It-Yourself). In case you're opting for the latter, check this.

Cheers!
Pferdestarke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 23:39   #4560
BHPian

Honda City i-Vtec 1.5 or Volkswagen Vento 1.6 mpi.
Which one to chose? Your views please BHP'ians.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks