Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2016, 16:26   #4636
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Just read this on Motoroids. News item on a new Honda City catching fire.

Quote:
A brand new Honda City reportedly caught fire a fortnight ago when it was in a stationary position parked outside the house of the owner’s friend. This unfortunate incident left the front of the City completely damaged. The car had a mileage of roughly 650 kms and had not even gone through the first paid service.

The incident occurred at 8:30 P.M on 21st February when the owner, Roushan Singh, had driven to a friend’s house in Gurgaon after driving it for 15 kms from his residence. He later parked his vehicle and left in another car with his friend only to end up receiving a call from the parents of the friend that his car had caught fire.

The car being fairly new, Roushan approached Ring Road Honda (the showroom where he purchased the vehicle from) for a replacement of his burnt vehicle which the company out-rightly rejected citing external factors as a reason. Roushan added that when he asked the company to furnish a detailed report on the same, the company denied the same.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-hondacitycatchesfire1.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-hondacitycatchesfire3.jpg

Sources:
Old 3rd March 2016, 17:22   #4637
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
That car even has the plastics on the seats. Damn sad. Honda should look into this.

Considering that this is the top end V trim there's not a lot of accessories that need to be added which can mess up the electricals.
Old 5th March 2016, 11:19   #4638
BHPian

Economic times reports that the face-lift of the Honda City will be launched in the festive season of 2016!

Considering what has been done with the BR-V and the Amaze face-lift, I am so hoping for the city to set right all it's flaws. Really looking forward to it, and even if it does disappoint, I do have other options.
Old 5th March 2016, 12:53   #4639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Are we sure if the car caught fire itself due to any possible fault or it might have been deliberately put to fire by someone in the neighbourhood?

I don't think the car caught fire while driving.
Old 6th March 2016, 13:24   #4640
BHPian

[quote=Rajeevraj;3924715]Just read this on Motoroids. News item on a new Honda City catching fire.

Don't understand how the engine could've caught fire (as written on the placard) when parked. Most fires are attributed to non OEM electrical accessories and I am curious to know what could be the reason behind this one.
Old 6th March 2016, 14:20   #4641
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Are we sure if the car caught fire itself due to any possible fault or it might have been deliberately put to fire by someone in the neighbourhood?

I don't think the car caught fire while driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post

Don't understand how the engine could've caught fire (as written on the placard) when parked. Most fires are attributed to non OEM electrical accessories and I am curious to know what could be the reason behind this one.
As per the article, the fire brigade folks confirmed it did not start from an external area/ source(How they verified I do not know).

In the comments in Facebook, he says 4 other people called him telling they had the same issue. One other guy also posted about a similar incident. (Again no way to actually verify).

The guys point is that Honda should investigate which they are not willing to do.
Old 6th March 2016, 15:55   #4642
BHPian

Well, my sympathies with the burnt car owner, but one big question here is how did the owner come to the conclusion that the car ignited all by itself? Did he or anyone else see how the fire started? I guess not. So how the conclusion? Actually if you know the internals of a car a little you'd know that a car can't burn up particularly its own front end just like that all by itself. When the ignition is turned off and the car is locked, there is almost no current passing within most of the components except maybe the Security system and the like.

Most probable possible culprits are After Market Accessories which mostly have shabby and irresponsible wiring and a big reason why they void warranty in the first place. A battery malfunction also is very unlikely as the same model battery is surely used in many other cars too and here have been no other similar burning reports in other cars of late if I'm not mistaken.

Other big question, what's the take of the insurance guys? Because the reasoning of the fire guys for their diagnosis is always a mystery most of the time.

If it is surely diagnosed as a self immolation and then Honda washes off hands its surely Honda's fault which I don't think any Manufacturer can pull off really. But until that is an established fact....
Old 6th March 2016, 16:15   #4643
BHPian

I agree with pixantz.
No way can a car catch fire with the engine switched off.
I'm sure this must have been the work of some heartless prankster ( Gurgaon is full of t them).
Lesson learnt, never leave your car unattended for a long time in unfamiliar neighbourhoods.
Old 7th March 2016, 10:00   #4644
BHPian

Honda car owners - a question. Have a 2012 model honda city. its run for 30K kms. last few weeks have been experiencing pain in my left knee and left thigh when i drive for >2 hours. could it because of the seating? All the seats are stock with leather seat cover.
Can anything cause left knee pain suddenly? Could the clutch be stiff?
You valuable inputs would really be of help. Have not done my 30K service yet and some inputs in this regard would help me have my technician check these aspects as well.
Thanks in advance.
Old 7th March 2016, 10:12   #4645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetsubhi View Post
That is pretty bad on my Honda ASC - Delight Honda. When I went to them in December 2015 for my 30K paid service they claimed that they did not have the spare to do this fuel return pipe change and still did not mention to me that when this change would be done, the engine oil needs a change.

I will try to fight with them and make sure I do not pay for it.

I will keep the forum posted about the outcome.
I finally took my car to Delight Honda in Faridabad for the fuel return pipe. Worth mentioning here is that a return pipe and the fuel pump are changed during the product updation. Moreover, they also mentioned that they top up the 100ML engine oil during this process. They did not charge even a single rupee to me. Moreover, they did a complete wash of the car free of cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Guys - I know this topic has been visited a couple of times but wanted to check what is the latest TouchScreen Car Audio/Video available for the City as on date?

I have looked at all the Blaupunkt ones - so please give that a miss (Las Vegas, San Diego etc.).

Do any of the Pioneer ones work with the City seamlessly? When I say seamlessly I mean are there Pioneer Models that integrate readily with the existing Rear View Camera and also the Steering Wheel Controls? I am not looking for Navigation, only an AV system. I own the 2014 City V Variant.

Thanks in Advance for the inputs
Well, I did see Pioneer bluetooth 7" LED Music Player off lately in a local Faridabad store. The features:
1. 7" LED Display.
2. Support USB and SD Card - slots for both.
3. Supports back camera integration.
4. Full integration with Steering mounted controls.
5. Bluetooth

The dealer quoted INR 19000 for the full job along with a Day Night Camera also included in this offer. Here is what the package was:
1. Pioneer Music System as mentioned above. (Pardon me as I do not remember the Model number, but can I find out if you want)
2. Reverse Parking Camera - Day Night capable.
3. Full on dash panel replacement.
4. Some connectors so that no car wire is cut during the installation.

He also mentioned that I should sell off the default fitted OEM music system as it would fetch a max of INR 4000. He suggested me to keep it with me and replace it back again the day I plan to sell off my car.

He also mentioned SONY and JVC too are available options which I did not much inquire about.
harpreetsubhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 10:40   #4646
BHPian

Quote:
Guys - I know this topic has been visited a couple of times but wanted to check what is the latest TouchScreen Car Audio/Video available for the City as on date?

I have looked at all the Blaupunkt ones - so please give that a miss (Las Vegas, San Diego etc.).

Do any of the Pioneer ones work with the City seamlessly? When I say seamlessly I mean are there Pioneer Models that integrate readily with the existing Rear View Camera and also the Steering Wheel Controls? I am not looking for Navigation, only an AV system. I own the 2014 City V Variant.

Thanks in Advance for the inputs
Sorry as I missed out this information my post earlier. Have a look at this:
https://pioneer-india.in/upgrade-guide/combinations/23

This is the Pioneer India recommendations page for Honda City. Hope that makes your decision easier. I also want to upgrade my SV Variant music system to something like these but then step back on seeing the cost. Moreover the OEM music system has a great audio quality.
harpreetsubhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 11:02   #4647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry as I missed out this information my post earlier. Have a look at this:
https://pioneer-india.in/upgrade-guide/combinations/23

This is the Pioneer India recommendations page for Honda City. Hope that makes your decision easier. I also want to upgrade my SV Variant music system to something like these but then step back on seeing the cost. Moreover the OEM music system has a great audio quality.
Thanks for the information. In Bangalore I enquired for AVH-X2890BT Unit and they gave me a quote of 21,000 for the entire job. Of the 21K, about 17K is for the Unit and he said the Steering Wheel Controls Interface, the Front Panel replacement and Labour come in the remaining 4K. I will try to get quotations from a few more people and try to negotiate for 19K all inclusive.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 11:17   #4648
BHPian

I also read this on motoroid, pictures shared here and on motoroid clearly show that driver side window is broken (see shattered glass and brick).
There is no way glass will break on its own and also there is no reason to break glass if someone wants to stop the fire as it is only in front bumper area and owner of the car was also there.
It looks like work of some psychopath who broke the window and put the car on fire.
Old 7th March 2016, 22:13   #4649
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the information. In Bangalore I enquired for AVH-X2890BT Unit and they gave me a quote of 21,000 for the entire job. Of the 21K, about 17K is for the Unit and he said the Steering Wheel Controls Interface, the Front Panel replacement and Labour come in the remaining 4K. I will try to get quotations from a few more people and try to negotiate for 19K all inclusive.
Awesome and all the best. Few points of take care is the quality of the replacement dashboard unit and the music system is seamlessly integrated and there should not be any queeks and chirps with days passing by from the fitment.
I'm little curious so asking, as to why are you changing the music system in your V model City? What I know is that V Model already has a BIG screen AV System
Old 8th March 2016, 11:29   #4650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Awesome and all the best. Few points of take care is the quality of the replacement dashboard unit and the music system is seamlessly integrated and there should not be any queeks and chirps with days passing by from the fitment.
I'm little curious so asking, as to why are you changing the music system in your V model City? What I know is that V Model already has a BIG screen AV System
The Honda City V (bought in 2014) comes with a CD Player, USB Support and a 6.2 Inch screen (not a touch screen) which can display audio tags of the music file being played and supports Reverse Camera Display. There is no Video Playback from USB capability in it and the drive provided is anyway a Audio CD Drive.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed