Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2016, 15:50   #4906
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post

PS - Mods, I didn't know if this warranted its own thread.
hi DK, maybe you could cross post it on this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...e-anymore.html

and I hope you get to the bottom of this issue real soon! Best of luck!

-Nivatakavacha
Old 4th July 2016, 16:10   #4907

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I've been having a strange issue with my 2014 Diesel City and could use your inputs.

It's been raining quite heavily here in Mumbai since the last week, leading to expected water logging.

Now, the issue is, there's a small cutout in the carpet of the City on the front passenger side (refer circled area in the attached picture), that when lifted reveals a small rubber nozzle. (I will post pictures of that too, shortly.) Said area/rubber nozzle is letting water into the car from beneath it when driven on wet roads or water logged streets. I have no idea why this nozzle is there in the first place, nor have I ever paid any attention to it before this happened.

Here's where I need your inputs:
1. Should this be happening at all? Our 8 year old Swift doesn't leak or let water in from anywhere and both the City and the Swift are driven on the same roads and are parked in right next to each other.
2. If there is an issue with my particular City, shouldn't this be repaired under warranty? Note that I have purchased extended warranty as well.
3. I've sent my car to Solitare Honda Workshop (Andheri West) and the Service Advisor told me that it will cost around INR 5,000/- at least to get it fixed and he will tell me the exact amount after checking the car and that it will take between 8 and 10 days to rectify it.

Now, money isn't an issue, but this happening in the first place is.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

- D

PS - Mods, I didn't know if this warranted its own thread.
Yes, I've noticed the cut-through in my i-DTEC. I asked one of the tech. about that and he said it is used to pump out the air after a dried fuel tank. There is also a small white plastic holder kind of thing that came with the car, which he said should be used to pump out the air.

Since that is connected to the fuel line (if what the tech. said is true), it must be pretty serious. Check it out and fix it ASAP. Also, did you check if it is water or fuel?

I hope this helps. Once you get this resolved, please share more details on this matter. Good luck!
Old 5th July 2016, 20:48   #4908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhan.g View Post
Since that is connected to the fuel line (if what the tech. said is true), it must be pretty serious. Check it out and fix it ASAP. Also, did you check if it is water or fuel?

I hope this helps. Once you get this resolved, please share more details on this matter. Good luck!
Hi,

You're mistaken, it isn't connected to the fuel line, it's a water drainage provision. Regardless, Honda stepped up and offered to fix it without charging any money. Pretty satisfied with the service and communication.
I just hope it doesn't happen again.
Old 6th July 2016, 11:23   #4909

Quote:
Hi,

You're mistaken, it isn't connected to the fuel line, it's a water drainage provision. Regardless, Honda stepped up and offered to fix it without charging any money. Pretty satisfied with the service and communication.
I just hope it doesn't happen again.
@DeKay: Thanks for closing it out. Did they tell you what went wrong?

Same here, I've always had a pleasant experience with Honda ASS.
Old 6th July 2016, 19:36   #4910
BHPian

A year since I was in the market for a new car, and I still haven't even decided the kind of car I want! Naturally, as a City ZX owner, I should be going for the New City, but with all the quality concerns, I do not want to end up with a downgrade from my current car! And also since my car is serving me well, it is being hard to justify replacing Angela(my vtec). But the desire to go on road trips is still biting me, and my car is certainly not long trip material, with the lack of safety features! Attaching a picture of my baby to help picture why replacing her is a problem; she is a beauty!
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-561939_712692508746009_485155805_n.jpg  

esoticoreventon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 13:23   #4911
BHPian

Was a little curious about some I noticed about my car. I own a Feb-2016 City VX MT (Petrol).

When I start the car in the morning or after a long break (cold engine), I see no indication on the instrument console for a 'cold engine'. My Sep-2010 City VMT has a blue light which glows till the time the engine has warmed up.

There is an indicator for an overheating warning, but couldn't see a light for indicating a cold engine.

Why is this?
Old 7th July 2016, 13:33   #4912
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
Was a little curious about some I noticed about my car. I own a Feb-2016 City VX MT (Petrol).

When I start the car in the morning or after a long break (cold engine), I see no indication on the instrument console for a 'cold engine'. My Sep-2010 City VMT has a blue light which glows till the time the engine has warmed up.

There is an indicator for an overheating warning, but couldn't see a light for indicating a cold engine.

Why is this?
There is a blue sign there indicating a cold engine. However, there are times I have not got that light during peak summer, when it is hot as it is.

Otherwise, you need to get it checked.
Old 7th July 2016, 15:08   #4913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
A year since I was in the market for a new car, and I still haven't even decided the kind of car I want! Naturally, as a City ZX owner, I should be going for the New City, but with all the quality concerns, I do not want to end up with a downgrade from my current car! And also since my car is serving me well, it is being hard to justify replacing Angela(my vtec). But the desire to go on road trips is still biting me, and my car is certainly not long trip material, with the lack of safety features! Attaching a picture of my baby to help picture why replacing her is a problem; she is a beauty!
I echo your sentiment. I have a 2009 City and finding a suitable upgrade is a huge issue! The new City doesn't feel like a substantial upgrade (mechanically same as my car) and cars like the Corolla/Jetta are out of my budget.

Hope they address all the build quality issues in the upcoming City facelift, and it might just find a place in my garage!
Old 8th July 2016, 08:35   #4914
BHPian

Quote:
Attaching a picture of my baby to help picture why replacing her is a problem; she is a beauty!
Indeed!
I agree that the current City would be a downgrade from your Angela. Don't even consider the current City. Your model was the best in build and material quality, current gen is the worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
I echo your sentiment. I have a 2009 City and finding a suitable upgrade is a huge issue! The new City doesn't feel like a substantial upgrade (mechanically same as my car) and cars like the Corolla/Jetta are out of my budget.

Hope they address all the build quality issues in the upcoming City facelift, and it might just find a place in my garage!
They can fix niggles, I think most of those are already fixed. But I don't think there would be a huge leap in quality front in the City facelift. If the Civic is launched, what say?
Old 8th July 2016, 09:54   #4915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

A year since I was in the market for a new car, and I still haven't even decided the kind of car I want!
Hey esoticoreventon, I really don't have the expertise like some of the gurus on our forum to advise you on a replacement for your Honda, but here are my suggestions:

- City ZX is renowned to be a niggle free and comfortable car to a large extent, and much of that is attributed to it being a Honda. The only other manufacturers you can bet your buck on with a similar hassle free reputation is the Korean giant Hyundai and the Japanese market leader Maruti.

- Considering the fact that the current Honda City/Maruti Ciaz/Hyundai Verna 'May Not Be' an upgrade, you must really consider cars from the next segment.

- Neither Honda nor Maruti have one in this segment, unless you may be interested with the S-Cross DDiS 320 (which is a blast all the way).

So the way I see it, you must really consider Hyundai Elantra 1.6 CRDi

This 1.6 CRDi is powerful, frugal and reliable. The car as a whole is an awesome offering and backed my Hyundai A.S.S is just a bonus.

I believe it is due for a facelift soon, so if you are not too keen on that update, you may as well get some good discounts.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 8th July 2016 at 09:56.
Old 8th July 2016, 11:24   #4916
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
There is a blue sign there indicating a cold engine. However, there are times I have not got that light during peak summer, when it is hot as it is.

Otherwise, you need to get it checked.
I have never seen the blue sign light up. Infact, I used my iPhone's torch to scan the light cut-outs in the cluster, but couldn't find any separate cut-out for the cold engine icon. I could only find the overheating icon (see the icon in the yellow box, in the attached picture).

The car is always parked in the basement and I still didn't observe any cold engine light when I started the car after 48 hours. The picture was clicked instantly after pressing the start button when all the icons light up.
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_6447.jpg  

Old 8th July 2016, 11:40   #4917

Quote:
I have never seen the blue sign light up. Infact, I used my iPhone's torch to scan the light cut-outs in the cluster, but couldn't find any separate cut-out for the cold engine icon. I could only find the overheating icon (see the icon in the yellow box, in the attached picture).
I see the blue sign everyday morning when I ignite, even in the summers (well most of the time). And I think there is only one cut out for both heat and cold (I might be wrong). Either way, it is better to get that checked.
Old 8th July 2016, 12:35   #4918
BHPian

Quote:
Its the same [red] one that lit up blue in cold start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhan.g View Post
I see the blue sign everyday morning when I ignite, even in the summers (well most of the time). And I think there is only one cut out for both heat and cold (I might be wrong). Either way, it is better to get that checked.
I do get blue lit up every morning since day 1. I checked up with the sales/service guys the 2nd day itself and they said "no action needed unless it turns red and if it turns red, the car needs to switched off for about 30 mins or so".

For me, the blue light comes up every morning and as I drive for about 10 mins, it goes away.

Yes, you check it up with your service folks and we can cross verify what we get from different service units !

Prem.
Old 9th July 2016, 03:30   #4919
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
Indeed!
I agree that the current City would be a downgrade from your Angela. Don't even consider the current City. Your model was the best in build and material quality, current gen is the worst.
The old model had the terrible idsi engine with only 78 bhp. The current generation one makes 119bhp. That's over 50% more. For this reason alone I wouldn't even consider a City zx no matter how niggle free it's claimed to be. Also, in my opinion the zx was the ugliest City ever. The new model is also better designed, has more space, standard safety features and as of now it's still better than its immediate competition in spite of the niggles

Last edited by mxh : 9th July 2016 at 03:40.
mxh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 09:42   #4920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
The old model had the terrible idsi engine with only 78 bhp. The current generation one makes 119bhp. That's over 50% more. For this reason alone I wouldn't even consider a City zx no matter how niggle free it's claimed to be. Also, in my opinion the zx was the ugliest City ever. The new model is also better designed, has more space, standard safety features and as of now it's still better than its immediate competition in spite of the niggles
The iDSI engine was only for the people who wanted the fuel efficient option. For those who wanted fun, the VTEC was always an option. And mine is a VTEC. Having driven all the cities till date, I will vouch that the ZX VTEC feels faster than any other cities, mainly because it isn't that heavy! Looks are subjective, so what you might not like, others might! I didn't like the 3rd gen city, and I still maintain that the first gen was the best looking of the lot!

I understand that, of all cars in the segment, the city is the least compromise one has to make, but if you have the buy a car for that reason, that isn't a good thing! I, for one, couldn't live knowing I have made compromises when I put my hard earned money on something! When the ZX came out, it was the best. Period. There was no other car that could hold a candle to the ZX in any aspect. And with the new car, I expect the same. my car is 10 years old, and to this day there has been no faults, literally none.
esoticoreventon is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed