Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2018, 20:31   #6241
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToothyPetrohead View Post
Was considering Goodyear assurance Triple max 2 , MRF ZLX or Bridgestone 290/ecopia.
Michelin Primacy 4 ST and Yokohama Earth are better options and go for 195/60/R15. Dont worry about the warranty. Most of the City are with this tyre spec right out of showroom.
Bridgestone tyres would have a longer life, but definitely have more road noise. My stock was BS and I changed it to Earth that gave me lot less a road noise.

Good luck!
Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 20:58   #6242
BHPian

Quote:
Was considering Goodyear assurance Triple max 2 , MRF ZLX or Bridgestone 290/ecopia.
Do consider MRF Perfinza too, if you change your mind regarding upsizing. People who are using them are giving positive reviews.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...nza-tyres.html (Review: MRF Perfinza Tyres)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4447426
deerhunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 22:03   #6243
BHPian

Quote:
Would appreciate a feedback on MRF or the bridgestone 290/ecopia . WILL NOT BE Up-sizing as per Honda SA and a friend it cause damage to suspension ETC.
I upsized my 2014 VMT ivtec from 175 to 195.

1. The SA is probably brain dead. The ride quality is enhanced multi fold once you upsize.

2. I had Michelin's initially which lasted 4 years / 54 k km. Now I've put ecopia. Have run 4 k till now, primarily on highways, and am happy with the performance.
avdhesh15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 22:14   #6244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But after experience with Goodyear only looking at the latter two. Any feedback on the MRF zlx ?? bridgestone which one is better? B290/ecopia150.
Please check out the Continental MC5 as well, it is a bit more expensive but having bought 4 sets in the past year for my friend's cars, its has a good balance of grip and comfort.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 00:44   #6245
Senior - BHPian

Following was the advice after the recent 60K KM service of my Diesel City

1. Clutch is a bit hard. Replace clutch next service (after 6 months)
2. The disks need to be replaced next service.

I have normally replaced clutch only after running 90K or 1L KM in my previous cars.

I don't have any issue with the clutch yet, there is no slip and although its not as soft as before, the slightly more hardness doesn't bother me.
I'm aware that clutch wear is purely on the driving style, maybe early for some, late for others. Also heavy bumper to bumper daily usage accelerates clutch wear.

Wondering when have Diesel City owners typically replaced their clutch ?

Last edited by for_cars1 : 7th December 2018 at 00:48.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 01:31   #6246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Following was the advice after the recent 60K KM service of my Diesel City

I have normally replaced clutch only after running 90K or 1L KM in my previous cars.

Wondering when have Diesel City owners typically replaced their clutch ?
Replaced the clutch of our diesel city recently at 94k odo. 60k is too early for clutch replacement IMO. Do take a second opinion from outside too as SA mostly suggest things to inflate their bills.
harry10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 03:04   #6247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Replaced the clutch of our diesel city recently at 94k odo. 60k is too early for clutch replacement IMO.
Thanks
The SA quoted 25K for clutch replacement.
I believe this includes changing the flywheel which may not be necessary.
Were you charged the same or about 8 to 9K?
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 10:11   #6248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.. a 2015 City VMT Ivtec, ..city/highway about 40/60. .. clocked about 21650 .
.....Am very Particular about tyre pressure fill nitrogen ...

Looking for a bit of comfort/ride road noise not a major issue. Michellin not a contender as too soft a tyre (side walls).
... WILL NOT BE Up-sizing as per Honda SA and a friend it cause damage to suspension ETC.
I was running the stock 175/65/R15 MFR Zvtv until 29K Km and they were troublesome with frequent punctures. Extremely crappy tyres to say the least and very flimsy, unreliable and noisy carbon based tyres. Road grip levels were adequate though.

Switched to Michelin XM2 195/60/R15 and they have been very reliable, not a single puncture(touch wood), very smooth rolling with less noise. Contrary to what I expected, the mileage/efficiency figures have actually increased after the upsize, its got to do with the low rolling resistance of these tyres.
After 30 K KM, they seem like ready to roll for another 20 K KM atleast.

I took the leap of faith and upsized to 195/60/R15 although I had extended warranty coverage. Suspension warranty is anyway valid only upto 40K KM only. Based on real time usage, upsizing to 195/60/R15 doesn't impact the suspension.
I have been maintaining 33 PSI on all tyres. I used to fill nitrogen diligently during every refill earlier. I've realized that it makes no perceptible difference and fill in normal air (which is anyway 80% nitrogen).

Last edited by for_cars1 : 7th December 2018 at 10:19.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 12:23   #6249
BHPian

Quote:
I was running the stock 175/65/R15 MFR Zvtv until 29K Km and they were troublesome with frequent punctures.
Agree. I too had stock MRF ZVTVs which were anything, but trouble. All 5 stock MRFs had wall bulges coming up at different times.

I had to change all 5 stock tyres finally, thru' Honda. However, I suspect the replacements that the MRF dealer provided through the Honda dealer at the time, were either 'seconds', from grey market or had not passed QA/QC. I am certain about this since, 2 of these newly 'replaced' tyres through Honda, too developed bulges on the side walls, soon after replacement. Of course they were not 'free' for me. I had to pay the difference for the new tyres after they subtracted the depreciation on the used tyres, even though they were 'faulty' to start with.

Finally, after a frustrating experience with the MRF ZVTV tyres, I just purchased new Yokohama Earth 1 tyres. No issues since then. Smooth ride. Hence, I have a very poor impression about stock MRF ZVTV tyres that the MRF provides Honda cars, as stock.
geotracks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 14:11   #6250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks
The SA quoted 25K for clutch replacement.
I believe this includes changing the flywheel which may not be necessary.
Were you charged the same or about 8 to 9K?
Too much. Daylight robbery. Honda SA gave me a quote of 14k for clutch change. I Got the whole original clutch kit from a Vendor for 4500 and got it changed from our local garage for 2k labor. So, 6500 in total. Do check out this route and if you want to do it from service centre itself then try a different one who is reasonable.

Last edited by harry10 : 7th December 2018 at 14:14.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 15:48   #6251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They played this trick on my colleague for his Mobilio and quoted a huge amount - the original quote was from Dakshin Honda, Hosur Road. He later went to Magnum Honda to double check and they quoted much lower in the 12-14 K range and did the change. Yes the FlyWheel change is not needed mostly.

In Bangalore, if you want to venture into the 3rd Party Garage space, I think the recommended one is Bay 6 Motorworks for Honda Cars.

Quote:
Too much. Daylight robbery. Honda SA gave me a quote of 14k for clutch change. I Got the whole original clutch kit from a Vendor for 4500 and got it changed from our local garage for 2k labor. So, 6500 in total. Do check out this route and if you want to do it from service centre itself then try a different one who is reasonable.
Wow - this is mind blowing pricing . In fact its worth taking a flight to Delhi and bringing the kit from there

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 7th December 2018 at 15:50.
vsrivatsa is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 09:46   #6252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaji View Post
"City mileage" really depends on the time you have to idle at traffic lights. Or crawl bumper-to-bumper. I drive my 2018 CVT to work through Pune's infamous Bermuda Triangle (RTO-Sancheti-Modern cafe-Observatory mess). It can take even 20 minutes for the 3 km in the evening. I would be lucky to get even 8kmpl then. On lucky days I do that in 10 minutes. Then it reads just above 10kmpl. Solo, with ac on.

But a 50km drive to-and-fro south on NH4, at mostly below 100kph, ECO mode, I have even seen 20+ kmpl. No idling anywhere of course.

So a question: Does anybody know how much petrol a City CVT consumes per idle minute?
You are lucky, i got the car a month back and has done 21k on the Odo. I have not seen it go above 8.5 in city driving. Travelling out of station to Nashik next week and hoping this improves on the highway, else buying a City Automatic was a wrong choice my manual corolla gives me more mileage in the city compared to what the City is giving. I used to get 9+ in the city and 14+ on highway in my Corolla as i am a sedate driver who maintains 100 odd speed on the Odo. Also had a question on what is the max fuel tank capacity for Auto stop when refueling and reserve. As the other day my reserve light came on and the Distance to empty showed just 22 kms, which i felt is too low.

I know up sizing to 195/60 R15 would drop the fuel efficiency but what i am getting currently its pretty low. Hope highway run shows some decent figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Please check out the Continental MC5 as well, it is a bit more expensive but having bought 4 sets in the past year for my friend's cars, its has a good balance of grip and comfort.
I upgraded from stock tyres to MC5 and have been very happy with the ride post that. Much improved handling and ride quality, it is way better than the stock Michelin. I would definitely recommend to go for the same.

Last edited by Dushie : 9th December 2018 at 09:48.
Old 10th December 2018, 20:01   #6253
BHPian

An update:
Got my tyres changed at last, all four to Bridgestone Ecopia 175/65 R15 EP150 84H. Fitted the tyres at the tyre shop in Sion, Sign Tyres.

I then did balancing and alignment with my trusted person in Navi Mumbai using non-sticker weights. The shop’s name is “GOD’S GIFT”. This is a small shop (many would not give a second look) off the main highway not far from the junction leading to once “LONDON PILNSER” and D. Y. Patil College and Hospital (at the junction turn left and proceed inside the lane).

God’s Gift Wheel Alignment, Address: PAP D-68, MIDC Industrial Area, Shiravane, Nerul, Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra 400706.

A short summary:
After a lot of deliberation and recommendations from our team members and friends, my cousin reminded me off our old wheel alignment guy I used to go to pre my Honda City days. I thought I’d take his opinion too on my situation.

They used to take care of all my previous vehicles and had worked wonders for my cars. I ran my Wagon R on Bridgestone tyres for 70K kms without a single problem or puncture.

Over the years, got busy with work, short of time (life one would say) and distance from residence /clinic lost contact with them. They are two brothers by the names of Blaise and Angelo Fernandes, unconventional, skillful and knowledgeable when it comes to alignment and balance of tyres, especially Blaise.

Blaise sat me down questioned me, explained, brought to my notice errors and gave me an analysis of the situation. (He asked my history of travel, use and assessed my driving style and then explained in brief about balance and alignment). He too was shocked that my tyres got worn out so prematurely. Two tryes were worn and car had a mild wobble in the rear (I felt, that he confirmed).

I mentioned to him I used to rotate tyres every 5000 kms and had done balancing also. Rear two were worn out but the front he said would have used another 10,000 km. He suggested Bridgestone, MRF and then Michelin in this order taking into consideration of my use, driving habits and roads used.

Besides my SA in Honda, a classmate who worked for Honda and Blaise, said that up sizing tyres may have its pros but the downside can be very detrimental to the suspension components of the car in the long run. They advised me against it. (A company when building and producing a particular car give an appt suspension that suits the dynamic of the car besides the safety features to supplement it). The problem arises invariably when the warranty ceases.

Last edited by navin : 15th January 2019 at 13:42. Reason: tyops, grammar, formatting
Old 16th December 2018, 22:30   #6254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
60k is too early for clutch replacement IMO. Do take a second opinion from outside too
Took a second opinion and the clutch seems to be good enough.

As a preventive measure, went ahead and replaced the brake pads and discs.
The discs have lasted for 60K Km, have replaced the pads earlier at 30K Km, so this is the second pad set replaced.

The pads cost about 4K per set including labour and was surprised to note that the discs are cheaper at 3K per set
Old 19th December 2018, 12:15   #6255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchir031 View Post
Everything costed me around 28k, full HID for headlights, fog lamps, projectors, DRL's and black paint on chrome. The headlight assembly had to be opened.
Yes, wiring modification was done. DRL was put in separately.
Hi Ruchir,

Apologies for bumping this message after such a long time. I just wanted to inquire a few things as I was about to go forward with retrofitting projectors in the stock headlamps.

My main doubt is related to the size and make of the projector and which bulb to fit in it. As we are aware the City uses H11 size bulbs in the low beam. So would this exact bulb but in say HID format fit into projector enclosure?

Finally, can you breakdown the costs associated for the whole conversation, including the resealing of the headlamps.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks