Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2019, 06:05   #6316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Have anyone else faced the cowl rattling/squeaking when going on bumpy roads and if yes is there a permanent solution to this problem?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post
I had the exact same problem in my City and Whitefield Honda were less than useless. Peculiar thing is, it irritates only the driver, and once you hear it- you can't ignore it.

Simple solution mate - remove that cowl, clean the glass area, use liberal doses of 3M double sided tape and re-fix the cowl securely.
Thank you guys for bringing this up. So I am not the only one who faced this. I started hearing this sound within 6 months and i was literally trying everything out to identify the source. Cleared the glove box and had my brother literally sticking out his ears near the dashboard and drove on an uneven road to locate the source. I was initially thinking it was from somewhere inside the dashboard.

Asked the service advisor to remove the cowl and add some packing during my 1st paid service. I am not sure how the packing was done, but the sound is gone.

I am now having a 2nd rattle that comes up very occasionally. Trying to ignore it for now as it has not messed up my brains yet.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 12th February 2019 at 08:45. Reason: Spacing
fast_elegance is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2019, 08:42   #6317
Senior - BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
started hearing this sound within 6 months and i was literally trying everything out to identify the source. ... initially thinking it was from somewhere inside the dashboard.
I thought the same for a long time. Irritants like these makes your personal resolve to determine the root cause become super strong.

My senses always pointed to the front mid of the dashboard (right under the spot where the automatic climate control-light sensor is located) as the source of the sound. I also suspected something loose in the odometer-instrument cluster area.

Thankfully patience prevailed and decided to give it time and not jump to conclusions, so never went for getting the dashboard removed and refitted.

One must never get the factory-fitted dashboard of any car removed and re-install just to eliminate a sound. Disturb the factory/clean fitted dashboard and you could end up with multiple rattles.

I now believe that the 4th Gen City most likely does not have a dashboard rattle design issue. So anyone facing any rattle issue, please don't get the dashboard opened unnecessarily, the sound is most likely from the cowl where the base of the windshield rubs against it.
Quote:
Asked the service advisor to remove the cowl and add some packing during my 1st paid service. I am not sure how the packing was done, but the sound is gone.

I am now having a 2nd rattle that comes up very occasionally. Trying to ignore it for now as it has not messed up my brains yet.
I've seen them do it, they always say "added" packing and I imagined that they would be adding some extra spongy material to the existing packng, but what they do is just to remove the stiffer rubber strip and replace it. The sound will progressively increase and will be back as the new rubber strip gets stiffer

Last edited by suhaas307 : 12th February 2019 at 08:45. Reason: Spacing
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2019, 09:10   #6318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It looks like the cowl top (the black plastic part running along the bottom of the windshield below the wipers) of the City is a source of squeaks when driving on uneven bumpy roads.
What a coincidence, only this Monday (4/Feb) I diagnosed and fixed the squeaks with the help of a FNG in my Swift 2013. The source was same, solution was same (putting generous amount of 3M double side tape running from left to right between windscreen and black plastic part) and the squeaks have vanished.

Fortunately, no such squeaks in my City 2017 till now.
Old 9th February 2019, 12:51   #6319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
We are at two different poles when it comes to our understanding. I think I am at South Pole as I have not seen any polar bears out here.. Basically I was trying to make it clear that your car cannot be started with the old keyfob, but you were actually only worried about thief opening your car doors. Yes, as you mentioned that threat is still there until and unless the locks are changed. Sorry for wasting your time buddy .
That's all right, the Honda dealer says that they are going to season the new and the old physical key. I really need to figure out what exactly they gonna do with the new key, the old one, and the lock. Looks like this situation is not very frequent with customers as Honda dealer seemed to be at sea on this issue.
Will update for benefit of other members.
Old 10th February 2019, 01:24   #6320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..... Have to figure out how to remove the wipers and the cowl. I'm a DIY person so will give it a go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post
Let me know how it goes.

Quote:
Irritants like these makes your personal resolve to determine the root cause become super strong.
My senses always pointed to the front mid of the dashboard (right under the spot where the automatic climate control-light sensor is located) as the source of the sound.

I now believe that the 4th Gen City most likely does not have a dashboard rattle design issue. ....., the sound is most likely from the cowl where the base of the windshield rubs against it.
Finally took the bold step to try fixing the rattles myself and I'm quite happy with the results

Managed to take some photos while I worked on it for the benefit of others who may have this problem.

Steps followed:
1)Removed the Wipers,
2) removed the cowl cover,
3)Lots of debris (seeds, twigs, leaves, small stones were accumulated over the metal area - definitely one of the cause of the mysterious rattle in my case. Thoroughly cleaned the metal cowl area.
4) Analyzed where all to apply the 3M tape, Lined all the contact areas of the windshield and metal cowl top with 3M tape. that scrape against the plastic cowl when the car goes over bumps and undulations.
5) Refitted the cowl cover back and the wipers back in place.

The whole operation took about 45 minutes, but it was worth the effort.

Result: absolutely no more squeaks from the cowl also that mysterious rattle (now I know its due to the debris) has disappeared. Whisper silent (touch wood).

Inference:
1. I now strongly believe that there is no design issue in the City Dashboard that would cause it to rattle if it is factory fitted.

2. The source of the rattle is due to the plastic cowl cover scraping against the windshield and the cowl metal top. It happens when the rubber lining of the cowl cover wears off and the dust/debris collected between the glass and the plastic scrape when the car moves over undulations causing it to squeak and rattle.

3. The other cause of rattle is due to accumulation of debris that falls through the cowl mesh and lands up on the flat metal area. Debris like seeds and small pebbles will roll on the metal surface when the car moves and can cause the ghost rattles (which the driver can hear, perhaps no-one else will notice).
The cowl area is really humongous, and it goes right under the dashboard starting from the bottom edge of the windshield. So when something in the cowl area rattles, it gives a (false) impression that the sound is coming from the dashboard, but in reality the dashboard is rattle-free if factory fitted. The culprit is the cowl.

4. I'm banking on the quality of the 3M double sided tape and hope that it stays stuck where-ever it is lined on the windshield and cowl edges. This should be a robust fix unlike the temporary fix (replacing the rubber lining that deteriorates in a year) that the A.S.S provided me for this problem.
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-1_tools_for_the_job_20190209_140100.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-2_wiper-and_cowl_removed_20190209_140156.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-3_under_the_cowl_20190209_140204.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-4_cowl-area_view2_20190209_140212.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-5_cleaning_the_cowl_thoroughly20190209_141350.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-6_humongous_empty_space_20190209_140221.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-7_cowl_cover_rubber_packing_20190209_142022.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-8_3m_double_sided_foam_tape_20190209_143113.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-9_lining_windshield_with_3m_tape_20190209_143517.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-10_tape_lined_windshield_20190209_144108.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-11_cowl_refitted_after_lining_with_tape_20190209_144555.jpg  

Last edited by for_cars1 : 10th February 2019 at 01:44.
for_cars1 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th February 2019, 03:35   #6321
BHPian

Quote:
Finally took the bold step to try fixing the rattles myself and I'm quite happy with the results

Managed to take some photos while I worked on it for the benefit of others who may have this problem.
Thank you for the detailed post. Very useful and now to make some time for this exercise.
Old 10th February 2019, 07:28   #6322
BANNED

Quote:
Is the rattle something like ‘a loose screw sound somewhere on top or to the right of the meter console’?
Old 10th February 2019, 09:08   #6323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
Is the rattle something like ‘a loose screw sound somewhere on top or to the right of the meter console’?
Exactly, the sound similar to a 'loose screw' once in a while is due to the movement/rolling of any debris (seed, pebble etc) accumulated on the flat metal cowl area.

The large flat metal surface is running along the entire left to right corner just behind the dashboard and any movement of a hard debris on this surface will make a sound and make it appear like its coming from inside the dashboard.

I had this sound until yesterday and have not heard it after cleaning that surface. Very elusive sound that has evaded me for three years.

The other type of sound is the squeak (like 'kili kili kili') while driving over rough roads and this is the sound of the plastic cowl top rubbing against the windshield or the metal cowl edge.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 12th February 2019 at 08:43. Reason: Spacing
Old 12th February 2019, 05:00   #6324
BHPian

Has anyone here tried any kind of rat protection? I am starting to see some rat activity in the engine guard. Not sure if the 3M offering is any good.
Old 12th February 2019, 21:36   #6325
Senior - BHPian

My previous car had stalled once during a local commute as a result of a rat biting off the RPM sensor cable. A potentially dangerous experience apart from being an expensive one.

After the above incident, have become very sensitive to the rat issue and the havoc it can cause.
A summary of points based on my understanding.

1. Rat cakes (poison) are not effective because the rodents will possibly eat them, chew up your car anyway and die at a different place after some time. No point killing the poor creature. I once trapped one and released it free in an open site.
2. Never ever leave any food items (beverages, bakery items, fruits) inside the car or in the boot. The smell of food however faint will be detected by the super sensitive nose of the rat greatly increase the chances of a rat sneaking in.
3. Never park on pavements with drains running underneath. Makes it easy for them to sneak out of the drain and enter your car.
4. Hanging Napthalene balls in polythene bags in the engine compartment is a possible deterrent but the smell enters inside the passenger cell from the AC vents and is very nauseating for the occupants let alone the rat. So its not a practical option.
5. Tobacco leaves is supposed to be an effective deterrent, have tried this once but not sure whether the rats hated them.
4. Rat attacks increases during winters when they are looking for a cozy warm place to spend the cold night and the warm engine bay perfectly fits the bill. Plus there are so many wires to gnaw on for their entertainment and to sharpen their teeth. To prevent this, you can use some rat repellent sprays available in the market once every 2 months. (I've been using this one: Link )

There is no fool proof method (like installing mesh etc) to prevent a rat from entering and chewing up your car if it wants to. All one can do (apart from praying) is to take some preventive measures that will make your car less attractive to them compared to other cars in the vicinity

Last edited by for_cars1 : 12th February 2019 at 21:47.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 14:18   #6326
BANNED

Quote:
Exactly, the sound similar to a 'loose screw' once in a while is due to the movement/rolling of any debris (seed, pebble etc) accumulated on the flat metal cowl area.
Somehow the sound was not there for some days. I had given my car for service yesterday and I had mentioned them about the sound. Went for a test drive along with the technician and we were unable to produce the sound even though we went through some crappy roads. But the technician after coming back from test drive tried knocking on the cowl and found out the sound. They knew the fix already and applied 3M stickers on the cowl area where it meets the front windshield. Let me wait and watch if the sound reappears or not.
Old 15th February 2019, 23:30   #6327
BHPian

After looking at various cars and going through lots and lots of reviews I have finally got down to two choices - Honda City and Hyundai Creta. Top variants of both are similarly priced so kind of confused still. One part within me says go for taller car with higher GC i.e. Creta and the other part says to enjoy luxury of City with better mileage. Somehow second part is winning after considering I need to drive in City traffic between Noida and Gurgaon and Creta's mileage won't match City's and for me along with comfort the mileage is also a consideration. By the way, diesel car is not under consideration.

So, with this background I have requested City's test drive. Hoping to get call from their side in a day or two.

I will be buying the car through my company so it would be Company Leased car and would save me some taxes too. The problem is that I can select a car with ex-factory price not more than 9 Lakhs. With ZX manual now launched (would love to get automatic though), I would need help from some experts here:

1. How much tax do I need to pay on City? Based on that I can reverse calculate the Ex-factory price.

2. Is the decision to buy City over Creta fine? I mean if I leave aside Mileage for a minute, is this decision good or bad?
Old 16th February 2019, 15:20   #6328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakwontsing View Post
2. Is the decision to buy City over Creta fine? I mean if I leave aside Mileage for a minute, is this decision good or bad?
Extensive test drive sessions with both the vehicles could help with you with that decision. Although the City does score in fuel economy numbers , you will feel all the bumps on an irregular road. This could be due to the skinny tires they come with. But its ground clearance of 165 mm is more than adequate for all kinds of roads.

On the other hand , the Creta gives a more plush ride. Also, the Creta is more heavily built than the City.
Old 18th February 2019, 14:21   #6329
BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone here tried any kind of rat protection? I am starting to see some rat activity in the engine guard. Not sure if the 3M offering is any good.
A fortnight ago I did experience rat invasion. I heard a rustling sound under the bonnet at 7:15 am.It tried to enter but damaged my engine insulation of my Honda city 2015 petrol car.This is the first ever experience I have had. It moved out of the car once started with the bonnet open. I normally wash my engine bay to keep clean once a month and clean the cowl area with a blower so could not see any footprints, excreta or food remnants.

Got my car checked with my trusted SA at Honda who confirmed all is well under the hood.Touch-wood!

Then contacted my 3M person Abhisekh and over the weekend got the engine coating (ANTI RAT treatment).

The under body as well as engine bay was washed and dried .First the under body in areas near the tyres was coated then car was taken off the ramp and in the sunlight for proper visual inside the bay car was covered but the engine bay with a plastic sheet the engine bay was coated assiduously

Abhisekh did mention that normally this helps to secure the bay for around 6-8 months and is around 95-97% effective.I had got this done for my previous car also did help a great bit.

I also did place cakes Of "RATATTAK" green in colour made into cubes around my vehicle.This has also helped so far.

The treatment cost me Rs.1140/-
Old 18th February 2019, 20:45   #6330
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakwontsing View Post

That depends on your preferences. If I were you, I would pick City over Creta because,

1. I am a sedan person. The higher the ground clearance the better, kind of thing does not affect me as I consider driving fun more than anything else. The more the ground clearance, the more the center of mass, resulting in more body roll.
2. The i-vtec engine is also sweet, and I keep the driving seat always at the lowest position, steering at the highest position and seat position is never laid back.
3. City has a stiff ride quality, but it would be more fun on twisties as leaning and body roll will be less.
4. When you consider space, City has lots of it including rear seating and boot space. Hence practicality is also good.

But if you are more of a pseudo-SUV kind of person (commanding view, SUV looks etc.) you may find Creta better. As I said earlier it all depends on your preferences.

Last edited by pavi : 18th February 2019 at 20:46.
pavi is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks