Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2019, 20:27   #6331
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
That depends on your preferences. If I were you, I would pick City over Creta because,

1. I am a sedan person. The higher the ground clearance the better, kind of thing does not affect me as I consider driving fun more than anything else. The more the ground clearance, the more the center of mass, resulting in more body roll.
2. The i-vtec engine is also sweet, and I keep the driving seat always at the lowest position, steering at the highest position and seat position is never laid back.
3. City has a stiff ride quality, but it would be more fun on twisties as leaning and body roll will be less.
4. When you consider space, City has lots of it including rear seating and boot space. Hence practicality is also good.

But if you are more of a pseudo-SUV kind of person (commanding view, SUV looks etc.) you may find Creta better. As I said earlier it all depends on your preferences.
Thanks for your perspective. But is the 165 mm GC on City in loaded condition? If not, won't it decrease further after loading? And in India suddenly speed bumps pop up overnight causing damage to lower GC vehicles.

Seems you own the City so can you share the real world mileage figures in city conditions. I am looking for automatic but if manual version also clocks in vicinity of what they claim then should be true for automatic too.
Old 22nd February 2019, 20:42   #6332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakwontsing View Post
Thanks for your perspective. But is the 165 mm GC on City in loaded condition? If not, won't it decrease further after loading? And in India suddenly speed bumps pop up overnight causing damage to lower GC vehicles.

Seems you own the City so can you share the real world mileage figures in city conditions. I am looking for automatic but if manual version also clocks in vicinity of what they claim then should be true for automatic too.
We own a 2017 VMT and have never faced an issue with speedbumps in Bangalore. Given, the car is usually driven only with one person in it, but we faced no issues on some dirt roads while on a road trip, fully loaded with 5 people and their luggage.
The car is mostly driven in the city with the AC on 100% of the time and we get anywhere between 14-16 kmpl. Again, ours is a manual, I don't know about the CVT versions.
Old 22nd February 2019, 21:05   #6333
BHPian

Quote:

I have a creta and third gen city ( quite similar to fourth gen ) I also sit in the 4th gen city often. Creta simply kills the city in NVH, ride quality and ground clearance, obviously. It's also noticeably more spacious in the front and rear. City has a tendency to get really low when there are 4-5 people sitting and thus you have to do some speed breaker dodging.
City is very loud at speeds of 100 and above because of a missing 6th gear. In my opinion the creta has more usable power, rather than the city's high revving power. However, the city's ergonomics, seats, speakers and brakes (!)are much better. You feel more comfortable after driving a city for a long time vs creta.
And to add to your confusion, city manual is probably the most fun (manual) car to drive in this price.

If you plan on going on road trips with people and luggage I'd recommend the Creta. If you're using it for daily commute and 2-3 people I'd recommend City.
City gives 15 and above in Gurgaon x Noida commute.(Semi peak timings) Creta auto gives 10ish. Manual should give 12+.

Last edited by rayjaycleoful : 22nd February 2019 at 21:07.
Old 22nd February 2019, 21:18   #6334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

2. Is the decision to buy City over Creta fine? I mean if I leave aside Mileage for a minute, is this decision good or bad?
Absolutely. I've recommended the City over the Creta 8 out of 10 times. Both are great cars, but as an overall package- I like the City more because:
1. More Spacious
2. Has the better petrol engine and petrol AT

I've recommended the City petrol AT over the Creta diesel AT to some people explaining that the cost differential will make up for the fuel cost. However, Creta has the superior diesel engine.

If you don't drive on bad roads everyday, I think you can manage the limited GC with some careful driving.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 22:02   #6335
BANNED

Quote:

The laden ground clearance reduction is not same across cars because it depends on suspension stiffness and the travel. Honda City has a comparatively stiffer suspension which will not cause much suspension sagging under loading. I have covered over 76,000 kms and never bottomed out on any speed breakers or any potholes/craters Kerala offers.

Regarding fuel efficiency, I have upgraded tires to 195/60/15 section Michelin XM2s. The average fuel economy till now stands at 14.5 kmpl. When I checked for City conditions it was 9 kmpl and for long drives I have seen 19kmpl over a distance of 150kms. Do note in Kerala a long drive includes a lot of towns in between as our state is very small and densely populated.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2019, 11:03   #6336
BHPian

Quote:
But is the 165 mm GC on City in loaded condition?
If not, won't it decrease further after loading?
And in India suddenly speed bumps pop up overnight causing damage to lower GC vehicles.
... can you share the real world mileage figures in city conditions. I am looking for automatic but if manual version also clocks in vicinity of what they claim then should be true for automatic too.
We own a 2018 City ZX CVT. Ride height is fine for the mountains of Bangalore, but the ride itself on poor roads is terrible owing to the stiffer suspension. Every undulation makes its presence felt at slow speeds. However, every once in a while, it's relieving to open up the throttle and feel the surge of power. There's a grin plastered on the face when the monster is unleashed.

I get 9 kmpl in Bangalore city traffic with about 3 minutes of idling per day (excluding signals), and 99% of the drive in Eco mode and D, rarely switching to S and opening the throttle late in the night on my deserted home stretch of road for a few hundred metres.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight_Kar View Post
... but we faced no issues on some dirt roads while on a road trip, fully loaded with 5 people and their luggage.
The car is mostly driven in the city with the AC on 100% of the time and we get anywhere between 14-16 kmpl. Again, ours is a manual, I don't know about the CVT versions.
The greater the load, the better the ride. Mileage for me on a highway trip with family was 15. The car can cruise at 100 kmph with the RPM between 1500-2000. Cruise Control is a blessing for long trips. Paddle Shifts are useful on the highways for occasionally waking up my sleeping family members that find my driving too smooth.

Quote:
Honda City has a comparatively stiffer suspension which will not cause much suspension sagging under loading.
Regarding fuel efficiency, I have upgraded tires to 195/60/15 section Michelin XM2s. The average fuel economy till now stands at 14.5 kmpl. When I checked for City conditions it was 9 kmpl and for long drives I have seen 19kmpl over a distance of 150kms. Do note in Kerala a long drive includes a lot of towns in between as our state is very small and densely populated.
I too am getting 9 kmpl in Bangalore. But I recently met a fellow City owner who claimed 12 kmpl for the same model as ours but in worse traffic, and yet another BR-V owner who claimed 12 kmpl.

Checking with Saphire Honda (my dealership and service centre) got me a "Saar, you need to make your driving smoother saar!", though the guy they sent for a mileage test only ended up with 10.2 kmpl!

It's not that I regret getting the City, but given another chance, I'd have preferred ride over handling and picked up a Creta or a Verna because those unmentionable speeds where these cars feel weird are not something I envision myself driving at in Bangalore. Might as well restrict it to 100 on the highways and enjoy the plush(er) city ride.
CaptainPrice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2019, 11:17   #6337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPrice View Post
We own a 2018 City ZX CVT. Ride height is fine for the mountains of Bangalore, but the ride itself on poor roads is terrible owing to the stiffer suspension. Every undulation makes its presence felt at slow speeds.
Ride in "V" and lower variants is better due to 15" tyres. This is my observation after I compared my V and my friend's ZX variant at the same day/time/route.
mukeshgoel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 16:17   #6338
BHPian

I had shortlisted three cars - City, Verna and Creta.
I am only looking for automatic models to save my back during daily travel between Noida and Gurgaon.

1. Didn't like the space in Verna after test driving Honda City. So, left it out even though it seemed a better car to drive.
2. City test drive (ZX CVT) was good. Took it over speed breakers around my place in Noida and while my heart was in my mouth, it didn't touch breakers. Mixed fuel economy as per customers (as claimed by sales person) is 14-16 kmpl. ARAI mileage seems to be 18 kmpl. The engine was not noisy at all.
3. Test drove Creta Petrol SX AT. Feel of sitting higher up was superb. Light steering was lovely and ride and handling was good. Found pick-up on slower side compared to City. Much better car on speed breakers.

My wife and kid were present during test drive for City and Creta. They sat on the back seat. Here is their feedback:

Creta's Higher windows on back seat made them feel it has lesser space than City. Possibly darker interiors added to it. Leg room was good but back seat was much better in Honda City. My kid was much more comfortable in City as it has much more light coming inside whereas she started saying let's go back home within a few minutes of sitting inside Creta. My kid didn't feel comfortable sitting in the middle as back of the seat was stiff due to cup holder (true for both City and Creta).

So, overall verdict seems heavily in favor of City.

Quote:
I have covered over 76,000 kms and never bottomed out on any speed breakers or any potholes/craters Kerala offers.
I really need such feedback to increase my comfort level if I go for City

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
City has a tendency to get really low when there are 4-5 people sitting ...
City is very loud at speeds of 100 and above
If you're using it for daily commute and 2-3 people I'd recommend City.
City gives 15 and above in Gurgaon x Noida commute.(Semi peak timings)
I travel Noida-Gurgaon in semi peak hours (takes me 1hr 10-20 min). I take the pahadi route via Manav Rachna University-Pali Road-Toll. So traffic conditions are not that severe. Normally I drive at < 100kmph. So, I believe:
1. It will be not as noisy as my 12 year old Santro xing .
2. I may get fuel economy of 14-15. Xing gives me 18 kmpl even after 12 years, while officially claimed mileage was around 17.5 kmpl(?).
3. I travel to my hometown (250 KM one side) only 2-3 times a year. 3 adults and 1 kid so I think City should be OK here too.

So, more or less, looks like City is what I will be going with.

On side note, I will be buying car as "Company leased car" and my company doesn't allow me to get a car with ex-factory> 9 Lakhs. So both Creta petrol SX AT and City ZX CVT are out of my reach as their ex-factory is around 9.28 Lakh and 9.69 Lakh respectively. So, VX CVT seems to be the only option left. However, I am trying to see if some discounts can help with ZX CVT.

So, a question to you folks: ZX CVT vs VX CVT?.
I read that some features were downgraded in VX e.g. Leather seats and LED Headlights. I am OK with fabric seats as I feel it would be uncomfortable driving on leather seats in hot conditions of Delhi/NCR.
- Can missing LED headlamps in VX CVT be a deal breaker?
- Is there any other feature that's now downgraded or missing in VX?

Thank You folks!
Lakwontsing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 14:39   #6339

My 2014 Honda city SV IDtec has clocked 1,52,000kms. The car must say has held itself well so far. A distinct noise when turning the engine off started at around 80,000kms. But the mechanic assured it is nothing to worry about.

Now the compressor conked off which is getting replaced. I had changed the suspension at around 1,00,000kms. The clutch is hard and is due for change , changed the earlier one at around 70,000kms. I will change it in the next service.

I would like to know if I can drive the car for some more time or is it time to change? My mechanic assures that the car will go on, while many others say it's about time to change.

I have been casually surfing for other cars, not sure what to buy though. Toyota's offerings are boring, should i just replace mine with a petrol city or should I look at other brands as well? I don't think I will change cars very often hence looking for a car that lasts longer (around 1.5 lakh kms) I drive about 80kms in peak city traffic everyday.
Old 5th March 2019, 16:07   #6340
BHPian

Quote:
I read that some features were downgraded in VX e.g. Leather seats and LED Headlights. I am OK with fabric seats as I feel it would be uncomfortable driving on leather seats in hot conditions of Delhi/NCR.

Thank You folks!
I read on the 2017 facelift thread (2017 Honda City Facelift : A Close Look) that VX also looses the soft touch dashboard. To me, V makes a lot more sense now.

LED headlamps make a difference if you travel a lot at night. We have diesel variants of both the SV (2015) with halogens and VX (2018) with LEDs, and the difference is noticeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashmonyklik View Post
My 2014 Honda city SV IDtec has clocked 1,52,000kms. The car must say has held itself well so far. A distinct noise when turning the engine off started at around 80,000kms. But the mechanic assured it is nothing to worry about.

I would like to know if I can drive the car for some more time or is it time to change? My mechanic assures that the car will go on, while many others say it's about time to change.

I have been casually surfing for other cars, not sure what to buy though. Toyota's offerings are boring, should i just replace mine with a petrol city or should I look at other brands as well? I don't think I will change cars very often hence looking for a car that lasts longer (around 1.5 lakh kms) I drive about 80kms in peak city traffic everyday.
Reassuring to see that your City is doing well.

If I were you, I'd be thinking about the Creta diesel automatic. In any case, replacing your diesel City with a petrol City doesn't make much sense, especially as the current generation is nearing the end of its lifecycle. I recommend waiting till next generation City.

Having said that, how about the upcoming Civic?
Old 5th March 2019, 18:51   #6341
BHPian

Quote:

Thank You folks!
I went for ZX CVT in Jan 2019 just for the additional Airbags. In last two months two late night long drives and my regular commute in Mumbai, I certainly appreciate the LED Headlamps. I would certainly say its something you should definitely go for.
arishi1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 20:00   #6342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arishi1 View Post
I went for ZX CVT in Jan 2019 just for the additional Airbags. In last two months two late night long drives and my regular commute in Mumbai, I certainly appreciate the LED Headlamps. I would certainly say its something you should definitely go for.
I was seeing some review on YT and the guy said LED lights should not be used in projector headlamps as LED light is intense and if not projected it can cause issues to drivers coming from opposite side.

With City not having projector headlamps, does this problem arise? Or City's headlamp housing is made so perfectly that it uses LED without projectors and still don't cause a problem.
Old 6th March 2019, 20:38   #6343
BHPian

Quote:
With City not having projector headlamps, does this problem arise? Or City's headlamp housing is made so perfectly that it uses LED without projectors and still don't cause a problem.
I think the way housing is made, it give a perfect throw. If the reflectors are made for Halogen and you put in a LED it will definitely be a problem.
Old 6th March 2019, 23:03   #6344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arishi1 View Post
I think the way housing is made, it give a perfect throw. If the reflectors are made for Halogen and you put in a LED it will definitely be a problem.
Please refer my Ownership thread where I have experimented with LED headlights for the Honda City:

Low Beam Upgrade >

High Beam Upgrade >

Based on my learning its not just the reflector, the LED Bulb itself also plays a major role. Manufacturers have improved the LED bulbs and are able to get a similar cut off as a Halogen bulb in recent times.

I would recommend you to buy LED bulbs based on the www.bulbfacts.com - Ratings Chart >

I have found their ratings to be genuine...
Old 7th March 2019, 15:44   #6345
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashmonyklik View Post

Now the compressor conked off which is getting replaced. I had changed the suspension at around 1,00,000kms. The clutch is hard and is due for change , changed the earlier one at around 70,000kms. I will change it in the next service.

There are upsides and downsides of upgrading

Upside:
- New car (duh)

- Higher value for old car as 2014 city is basically same as current facelift

Downside
- No BS-6

- No Indian crash norms

BTW if 80km per day is going to continue I think you would be better off with diesel.

Also,can you please elaborate on the costs incurred for the stuff that you got changed.
mxh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed