Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2019, 21:13   #6736
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravind_M92 View Post
Thanks for the info sir. Have been eyeing for those headlights for a long time. Can you send me the shop's details? Also would he ship them?
The shop’s name is Shreyas Motors, Opera House.
You may contact this person:
Hiten Doshi: +91-9820011532

I don’t know if they ship them or not but you can check on the Internet, there are many places that deal with these lights.
city2491 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 22:36   #6737
BHPian

Over the last couple of months, I've had these issues in my 2015 City SV diesel:
  1. Water leakage
  2. Rear brake light stopped working
  3. Horn stopped working
Water Leakage

My car was exposed to intense rain for a whole day. That evening, in the rear left passenger footwell there was a pool of water (about an inch deep). Both the floor and my mats were soaked.

Apparently, the rear left door has something to do with this, as when I opened the rear door water kept running down from behind the door rubber beading.

(My apologies for bad picture quality. Also, I did not take pictures of rear footwell with the pool of water ).

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-door1.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-door2.jpg

I suspect the doors had water inside them, because if you shook the door hard, you could sort of hear the water splashing about. This was gone after I drained out all the water (by keeping the door open for a few minutes). Having said all that, I have no idea how the water in the door would make its way into the passenger footwell.

The symptoms are somewhat similar to what is mentioned in this thread about water leakage issue in Honda City and Jazz (Solved! Water leakage problem in the Honda Jazz & City), I thought it would be an easy fix.

Honda ASS however had a different opinion. Apparently they were seeing a water leakage issue for the first time, and the service advisor was visibly confused.

He came to the conclusion that an internal seal inside the door might have got damaged, and that replacing the seal "might" fix the problem. He even showed me some complicated diagrams and schematics of the seal.

He quoted ₹1500 (including labor) to fix. Frankly, I was expecting them to quote some monstrous amount or advise something huge (like replacing the door).

However, he said it would take 2 days to fix! Since I really couldn't afford to let the car be out of service for two days (both our cars happen to have high running these days), I decided I'll come back another day. Hopefully, there wouldn't be heavy rains in the meantime.

Rear brake light stopped working

This happened today. Rear leftmost brake light stopped working. It doesn't light up on braking, or when the tail lamps are on (the rest of the tail lamps light up, however).

I intend to visit Honda ASS tomorrow to get this fixed.

I assume only the bulb has to be replaced. What kind of expenses am I looking at? Any ideas on how long it might take?

Horn stopped working
Happened about two months ago. Horn had infact shown weird symptoms for a few days (like a change in tone) so I knew it was on its way out. Was on my way to the service center to get them changed, but then decided to visit a local garage instead. Got them changed for Rs. 250 because frankly, I don't see the point in getting OEM horn.

The tone of the new one sounds similar to the OEM horn, but is slightly louder. Speaking of which, I was always of the opinion that the OEM horn was way too quiet and polite.

Unprecedented visits to the service center are annoying. As GTO mentioned somewhere, I would like my cars to keep working day after day reliably. The only reason my car should be at the service center is for the routine service.

It is kind of weird that these issues have all cropped up after my 4-year warranty period was over. While it was in the warranty period, the car was absolutely flawless.
voldemort is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 21:38   #6738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldemort View Post

This happened today. Rear leftmost brake light stopped working. It doesn't light up on braking, or when the tail lamps are on (the rest of the tail lamps light up, however).

I assume only the bulb has to be replaced. What kind of expenses am I looking at? Any ideas on how long it might take?
  • Find out what kind of bulb the brake light uses in the user manual and buy it from some local shop.
  • Then open your boot, pull out the rubber beading near the left edge.
  • You should find the carpet attached with clips, remove two or three using a flat headed screwdriver carefully. (They are easy to break)
  • Swap out the bulbs and reattach whatever you loosened.
This would be a fairly easy DIY not taking more than 20 minutes, working alone. And you'll probably not spend more than 20 bucks.

Another thing worth noting is to always check the fuses whenever your electricals stop working. I have made the mistake of not doing so and buying things like headlights bulbs again. Although I don't think the brake light has individual fuses for each bulb.

Last edited by city2491 : 23rd November 2019 at 21:41. Reason: Adding information
city2491 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 21:11   #6739
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by city2491 View Post
This would be a fairly easy DIY not taking more than 20 minutes, working alone. And you'll probably not spend more than 20 bucks.

Much appreciated city2491! However, by the time I saw your reply, I had already taken my car to the authorized service centre. As you mentioned, it was a simple fix.

The job took about 45 minutes, and they charged just ₹200. Though the cost was an order of magnitude higher than what you mentioned, it was far lower than what I thought those bulbs were worth.

While I'm happy with the service, I'm not happy that the bulb blew in the first place. But I guess these kind of things happen. I should probably start getting more involved in fixing these kinds of minor issues myself.

Speaking of which, it's been nearly 5 years and just over 41000 km since I bought this car. When is the battery supposed to fail? Would there be any early warning symptoms?
Old 24th November 2019, 23:31   #6740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.... it's been nearly 5 years and just over 41000 km since I bought this car. When is the battery supposed to fail? Would there be any early warning symptoms?
You can get the battery checked at any battery dealer, specifically if any of the cells had gone weak.

I replaced my City's battery immediately when it crossed 5 years as a preventive maintenance. It was in good condition but batteries tend to suddenly give up without warning once they age as I've learn't in the past.

PS: I also replace tyres once they cross 5 years even if they look usable.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 24th November 2019 at 23:33.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 06:18   #6741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
You can get the battery checked at any battery dealer, specifically if any of the cells had gone weak.
Alright. Will do that.

Quote:
PS: I also replace tyres once they cross 5 years even if they look usable.
Thanks. I upsized to Michelin XM2 195/60 R15 a few months ago. The previous ones were on their way out.
Old 29th November 2019, 16:03   #6742
BHPian

Anyone here facing issues with rust? Especially near the rear wheel arches / rear rocker panel area? My car had rust repair carried out by the dealer under extended warranty and it has reappeared. The car is still under extended warranty till Feb-2020.

Also, has anyone observed their steering wheel develop white-ish spots with use?. Will share a picture of my issue shortly. Any inputs / views would be appreciated.

Edit: My car is a Feb-2016 VX-MT i-VTEC.
Old 3rd December 2019, 00:10   #6743
Senior - BHPian

Had a 704 kms drive over the weekend to Salem and back, went on Saturday morning when it rained all the 350 odd kms from Chennai to Salem, weather was cool and enjoyable for a nice drive. Reached Salem in 6 hours and the journey back took 8 hours due to the now famous GST gridlock when entering Chennai. Got a mileage of 16 kmpl on a tankful. The drive back encountered torrential rains when leaving Salem and had a heart stopping encounter with a 'holy cow' which charged across the highway. It's horrible to see people grazing cows over the center median which has grass and some flowering plants and also on either side of the highway. Ended up driving some 14 hours in 48 hours and some roaming around in Salem City, stayed at the CJ Palazzio which is a lovely hotel in Salem. We were 5 people including me the driver and luggage. Some pics follow... All iPhone 11 Pro Max and tried out the Night Mode from the hotel window...
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_75812.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_76312.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_76442.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_78082.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_78092.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_77842-copy.jpg  

Last edited by Durango Dude : 3rd December 2019 at 00:14.
Durango Dude is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 11:00   #6744
BHPian

Opened my car to see this today. Apparently the plastic film behind the sheet of the tempered glass had been peeling off. Are spares available for this?
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20191205_102928014.jpg  

Old 8th December 2019, 08:19   #6745
BHPian

AC of my car is not doing its job since after the third free service. It was done 1.5 months back on Oct 8th. Since then I felt something was wrong. Service center People sent a guy for home visit. He checked and said he hears the sound of cut off very frequently when AC is on. He asked me to take car to service center for proper checking. I would like to know about charges. Since car is under warranty and is only 8 months old, do I need to pay charges for anything that may have to be replaced to fix the issue? Can someone help with my query?
Old 8th December 2019, 10:21   #6746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakwontsing View Post
do I need to pay charges for anything that may have to be replaced to fix the issue? Can someone help with my query?
If any part is going to be replaced, the same should be covered under warranty. You may have to pay labour charges though.
Old 8th December 2019, 10:44   #6747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
If any part is going to be replaced, the same should be covered under warranty. You may have to pay labour charges though.
Came to service center and was attended to promptly. Got car back in an hour. They said they topped up the gas but not saying if there was any leakage. They said it may have evaporated. This seems to be dicy statement. How come gas level went down in 6 months without leakage? Will get to know if really AC is working fine now after driving for next few days.

No charges paid.
Old 8th December 2019, 11:02   #6748
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakwontsing View Post
Came to service center and was attended to promptly. Got car back in an hour. They said they topped up the gas but not saying if there was any leakage. They said it may have evaporated. This seems to be dicy statement. How come gas level went down in 6 months without leakage? Will get to know if really AC is working fine now after driving for next few days.

No charges paid.
A leak test should be done with the system holding the recommended pressure without drop for 20 minutes or so, I hope they have done all that.
Old 8th December 2019, 11:21   #6749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
A leak test should be done with the system holding the recommended pressure without drop for 20 minutes or so, I hope they have done all that.
They confirmed no leakage, tested on machine. Said it's winters and due sensors working automatically I am feeling like that. But driving back home, AC working better. Or is it my psychology changed by service guys.

By the way, can someone help me with how to use mirror link with digipad? I posted the query earlier too. I have RealMe2Pro phone. And normal casting doesn't work. So which app should I download? Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Lakwontsing : 8th December 2019 at 11:34.
Old 9th December 2019, 10:50   #6750
BHPian

Voldemort I too had experienced water coming inside my car this rainy season. I have an open parking in my building and my car gets the direct hit from the rain. The observation made by me was the wind strips were also damaged i.e. rusting (this seems to be one the problems with 2014-2015 models city).

I showed this to my trusted SA at Honda. My car was kept for two days where the door cards were taken out resealing and new wind strips were placed and car returned to me. After that towards the latter of the season all is clear so far.

Aravind_M92 this phenomenon too I have experienced with the system of my car but yours seems to be much worse than mine I did show this to my SA at Honda. He told me the music system has to be taken out and sent to the company but if your car is out of warrant for the system i.e. two years you would have to pay for a new system.

My car has completed 4 years and the extended warranty of 3rd and 4th year is over. I have taken now, the fifth year warranty for my car paid the amount Rs.8387/- . I did it online.

The above two problems are not covered by the warranty though.

Most Viewed