Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2020, 18:57   #6826
BANNED

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

"As far as I have noticed, this problem does not seem to occur when the engine is cold."

Could other members who experience similar challenge please advise on this point and share more information on your end observation. Thanks,
Old 23rd June 2020, 23:47   #6827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
I've been struggling with a strange problem on my City. Would appreciate your opinions and views on this.

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers!
UPDATE: Problem solved! The starter was failing and needed to be replaced.

Sent my car in today for it's periodic service along with a request to diagnose the starting problem.

Opted for the pick-up/drop service for the first time ever and was very impressed. Car picked up at 11:00 AM and returned at 6:00 PM without any issues at all. Also, the car failed to start on a cold engine for the first time today. As this happened in front of the dealer's driver, he too guessed that the starter was on it's way out.

I haven't had a chance to look at the invoice yet, but total damages were Rs.15,000 approx. (service + new starter).

Drove the car around my building premises after getting it back and the problem seems to have been fixed. Will know for sure as it runs a bit more over the next few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srameshdelhi View Post
I had exactly the same problem experienced in my Honda City 2015 V-TEC MT, and the ASC had checked and solved the problem by cleaning the starter motor for Carbon deposits. Charged somewhere between 1100/- to 1400/-
I opted to have a new starter installed (as per the service advisor's advice) as I didn't want to deal with facing this issue again. Will need to check the exact price of the new starter, but it was around Rs.5,000 - Rs.6,000 approx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRKarnati View Post
"As far as I have noticed, this problem does not seem to occur when the engine is cold."

Could other members who experience similar challenge please advise on this point and share more information on your end observation. Thanks,
As it turns out my issue was not related to the engine being cold / warm, as mentioned in my reply above.
Old 24th June 2020, 09:14   #6828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
UPDATE:
I haven't had a chance to look at the invoice yet, but total damages were Rs.15,000 approx. (service + new starter).

Will need to check the exact price of the new starter, but it was around Rs.5,000 - Rs.6,000 approx.
Can you please provide the breakup for the service components? If the starter was around Rs. 6000, was the remaining part of the service bill entirely for the servicing related work? I ask because typically, the service cost for a City would be in the range of Rs. 6000-7000 for a major service (i.e. annual service).
Old 26th June 2020, 14:39   #6829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Can you please provide the breakup for the service components? If the starter was around Rs. 6000, was the remaining part of the service bill entirely for the servicing related work? I ask because typically, the service cost for a City would be in the range of Rs. 6000-7000 for a major service (i.e. annual service).
Approx. break-up of the costs are as below.
  • Pick-up + drop charges - Rs. 500
  • Service (parts, labour, cleaning, wheel balancing + alignment, etc.) - Rs. 7500
  • Starter (parts, labour, consumables, etc.) - Rs. 6500
Hope this helps.
fordfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 17:09   #6830
BHPian

Need thoughts / suggestions. My 2012 Honda City V MT is coming up for insurance renewal.

Until now I had Tata AIG zero dep Pearl Plan. This year as car is 8 yrs, Tata AIG said they cannot offer zerpo dep Pearl Plan but instead offering next best Gold Plan. Premium for the Gold Plan is around Rs. 7K. Last year with zero dep the Tata AIG premium was around Rs. 12K.

Called up Honda Assure and they quoted zero dep plan with around Rs. 17K premium. This is really very high. Of course they gave a long list of difference in service they offer vs Tata AIG (e.g. no limit on claims on zero dep, cashless, better coverage since Tata AIG is not Honda preferred etc.)

It is known that Honda Assure quote would certainly be slightly higher than Tata AIG, but just wasn't expecting such a difference and a Rs. 17K zero dep quote for a car of 8 years is way too high.

Really confused. Any tips, suggestions, insights would help.
Old 27th June 2020, 17:17   #6831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
Until now I had Tata AIG zero dep Pearl Plan. This year as car is 8 yrs, Tata AIG said they cannot offer zerpo dep Pearl Plan but instead offering next best Gold Plan. Premium for the Gold Plan is around Rs. 7K. Last year with zero dep the Tata AIG premium was around Rs. 12K.

If you have premium until now to have a ZD cover, don't miss it here onwards. Try to get it from future generali, they might be able to provide you with this.

Optionally, last I checked on acko, there's this plan with Zero Dep Smart.
This also is a Zero Dep cover, keeps your premium low, provided that whatever claim you make, 5000 needs to be paid by you. I like this better for an 8 year old if you don't claim very often.
petrolHead_1609 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 23:52   #6832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolHead_1609 View Post
If you have premium until now to have a ZD cover, don't miss it here onwards. Try to get it from future generali, they might be able to provide you with this.

Optionally, last I checked on acko, there's this plan with Zero Dep Smart.
This also is a Zero Dep cover, keeps your premium low, provided that whatever claim you make, 5000 needs to be paid by you. I like this better for an 8 year old if you don't claim very often.
Thanks. This was helpful.

I re-checked with Honda Assure and the comprehensive insurance quote was Rs. 9K. The additional Rs.6K + tax is for Zero Dep Add-On from Honda, bringing the total to around Rs. 17K.

I also called up Bajaj Allianz (based on the recommendations of fellow BHPians in other related threads). The comprehensive insurance quote was about Rs. 9K. This was similar to Honda Assure. Called up Bajaj Allainz customer service just to confirm quote details and they were prompt, knowledgeable and helpful.

I checked with acko, they are not giving zero dep for a 8 year old car.

I also got a quote from IffcoTokio and for zero dep they quoted around Rs. 13.3K. However, when I called up customer service, the lady could not help and cut the call. Later I got 2 or 3 calls each time the person on the other side claiming they were from IffcoTokio and wanted to help give a quote.

I need to re-think; to go for zero dep or comprehensive. Most likely I'll go with Bajaj Allainz. I also have to decide, if I need to get Bajaj Allianz thru' Honda Assure or directly thru' Bajaj Allianz, since premium is similar, about Rs. 9K. Any thoughts here?

Alternatively, if I continue with zero dep; it has to be thru' Honda Assure with Bajaj Allianz.

Tata AIG has been calling me to renew as I have been with them for past 6 years. However, they do not have a cashless tie-up with Honda (like Bajaj Allianz). Moreover, when I told the agent of Tata AIG who has been calling up, that I am looking to move and looking for alternate quotes, they didn't seem hungry for business (did not ask why or suggested any counter offers like month end discount etc.); and readily agreed. On the other hand Bajaj Allianz customer service actually offered to give some month end discount if I were to buy the policy before this month end.

My Honda City has only limited usage and does about 150 to 200 kms per month. Hence still pondering if zero dep or comprehensive option is better.
geotracks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 10:12   #6833
BHPian

Quote:
I need to re-think; to go for zero dep or comprehensive. Most likely I'll go with Bajaj Allainz. I also have to decide, if I need to get Bajaj Allianz thru' Honda Assure or directly thru' Bajaj Allianz, since premium is similar, about Rs. 9K. Any thoughts here?

My Honda City has only limited usage and does about 150 to 200 kms per month. Hence still pondering if zero dep or comprehensive option is better.
It's more of an individual's preference in such a case,
If I were in such a situation, I would have gone for comprehensive, given the limited usage and the fact that ZD comes almost at double the price. I'd keep this money aside for any use later on.
Given the fact, if any claims are taken, you loose onto the NCB in next insurance and it keeps your premium high of that amount forever.

For above, I am assuming that the limited run is mostly in city and I don't think any such incident happening in city which would lead to such a cost that you'd have to opt for claim.

Hope this helps in making the decision. (Even if not comprehensive, then makes you a little sure about ZD)
Old 30th June 2020, 16:35   #6834
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. This was helpful.

I re-checked with Honda Assure and the comprehensive insurance quote was Rs. 9K. The additional Rs.6K + tax is for Zero Dep Add-On from Honda, bringing the total to around Rs. 17K.
I own 2016 Honda City CVT and my car insurance is up of renewal in a month's time. I am a sedate driver and my running is low as well. I am going to go for comprehensive insurance and not zero dep. Also with COVID-19 scenario, I am not sure how much of running we would be doing for next 1 year or so.

Hope this helps.
daredevil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 17:46   #6835
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
I own 2016 Honda City CVT and my car insurance is up of renewal in a month's time. I am a sedate driver and my running is low as well. I am going to go for comprehensive insurance and not zero dep. Also with COVID-19 scenario, I am not sure how much of running we would be doing for next 1 year or so.

Hope this helps.
I am no insurance expert but our cars these days are not made like they used to. It helps to get the best insurance and coverage even if it costs just a bit more.

Even if the car is not used much, anything can happen.

Check out this link.

https://indianauto.com/stories/marut...rating-nid6264
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 22:25   #6836
BHPian

Quote:

Hope this helps.
Thanks for your input. Certainly gives a perspective.
geotracks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 14:22   #6837
Senior - BHPian

Got 1,20,000 km service done for my City idtec.
Paid 9935. Most expensive till date. 3500 were just labour charges which is the new standard among most manufacturers now. Rest all are the basic engine oil and filter changes. I removed all the unnecessary stuff like Ac cleaning, wheel balancing etc. They were even charging 700 for just washing the car ( earlier it was 300). Seems service centers are hell bent to fleece customers as much as they can. If not for Covid I would have gone to our local mechanic for the service and could have saved at least 3-4k.
10 grand for servicing is quite high imo.
The only discount I could manage was 50% of sanitization rate
Old 4th July 2020, 02:57   #6838
BANNED

I also agree with your plan. but could you please clarify on below points if you or any other member have more information.
most of insurance providers keep 5 years as cutoff period to providing Nil or Zero Dip coverage. some are providing <5 years also but may charge high.

for my Honda City, Through Honda Assurance also till last year Royal Sundaram said it will be for 5 years only but IFFCO Tokio mentioned till 7 years. May be looking at the competition this year heard as Royal Sundaram also providing for <5 years.

1. Is this process happens by any rule book or insurance company own procedure set.
2. Also <5 or <7 years vehicles if we break the renewal chain with comprehensive one. will they allow to provide Nil Dip option later.

Thanking in advance.
Old 4th July 2020, 12:03   #6839
BANNED

Quote:

could you please clarify on below points if you or any other member have more information.
most insurance providers keep 5 years as a cutoff period to providing Nil or Zero Dip coverage. some are providing <5 years also but may charge high.
Sorry for the typo error in my previous post. instead of typing > I replaced wrongly with <. so correcting the same here.

May we have advise on the below points, please.

Most of the insurance providers keep 5 years as the default period to offer Nil or Zero Dip coverage. some are providing >5 years also but may charge high.

for my Honda City, Through Honda Assurance till last year Royal Sundaram said Zero Dip option will be for 5 years only but Honda Assurance through IFFCO Tokio mentioned till 7 years.

Maybe looking at the competition, this year heard as Royal Sundaram also providing for > 5-year vehicles.

1. Is this process happens by any rule book or insurance company's own procedure set which they can review and change?
2. Also for >5 or >7 years vehicles, if we break the Nil Dip renewal chain by selecting a comprehensive one, will they still provide the Nil Dip option at later years? or will that be only for continuing records only?

Thanking in advance.

Quote:

Hope this helps.
looking at the current situation, I also agree with your plan if we are with less usage.

Quote:

I also called up Bajaj Allianz (based on the recommendations of fellow BHPians in other related threads). The comprehensive insurance quote was about Rs. 9K. This was similar to Honda Assure.

I also got a quote from IffcoTokio and for zero dep they quoted around Rs. 13.3K.

Tata AIG has been calling me to renew as I have been with them for past 6 years.

My vote will be for a comprehensive option with savings to utilize as required.

If you are opting for a comprehensive option and looking at Bajaj Allianz then why to miss Honda Auurance part if they both are quoted same 9K?

All these quote processes work 100% with predefined calculation sheets as per IRDAI. I mean you opt for exact selections within in policy they all these quotes should match.
then what makes the difference? The discount amount they offer to customers. be it direct or through dealer or third party. that's where we see mostly direct company contacts will not be pushing much whereas dealer channels will offer a lot of options and at last additions like car wash coupons etc.

Try to ask them the policy calculation sheet with the item-wise distribution and the % of calculations they are offering. though they say, they don't have anything like that, they all have for every customer and can provide easily. in fact every year as per the changed terms, with those sheets only they manage to understand the calculations and approach customers.

It should give you a clear picture of where the difference is coming from. Hope this helps.
VMRKarnati is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 22:51   #6840
BHPian

Quote:
My vote will be for a comprehensive option with savings to utilize as required.

If you are opting for a comprehensive option and looking at Bajaj Allianz then why to miss Honda Auurance part if they both are quoted same 9K?
Thanks to all who provided thoughts & guidance. I made a decision to go with Honda Assure, comprehensive policy, for my 2012 Honda City V MT. Had a similar thought, if insurance amount is close to being the same (Rs. 9K), between purchasing directly from Bajaj Allianz & Honda Assure, then better to go with Honda Assure. Pride Honda personnel whom I was talking to were all very friendly and helpful. They promptly responded to all my queries.

I had the option of several insurance Companies who have a tie up with Honda Assure; e.g. ICICI Lombard, Bajaj Allianz, IFFCO Tokio, etc. The amounts were the same irrespective which insurance company one opts for, thru' Honda Assure. I opted for ICICI Lombard.

Since I moved from Tata AIG to Honda Assure and opted for ICICI Lombard (thru' Honda Assure), a person came to inspect my car and take pictures. This activity was quick and the person came at the agreed time. Thereafter I made the payment and Pride Honda immediately sent me the renewed policy.

Most Viewed