Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2020, 12:35   #6901
BHPian

Re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
Kind attention of the Hoda City owners is invited !

I bought preowned 29k run City SV Diesel 2018.
I took it for 30k km interval maintenance to Metro Honda , Bowenpally, Hyderabad yesterday ( after unable to find appointments at Sundaram Honda )

Apart from regular oil changes and filter cleaning, only break pads needed replacement.

After the service, I was aghast to see the bill amounting to almost 13,000 , where the labour charges were nearing 7000/-.

All in all , my first experience with Honda Service turned out to be soar.
I feel brake pad change at 30K is too early to replace.
Did they warn out ? do you use brakes quite often or the vehicle is mainly used in city traffic ?

Coming back to service cost, I got my City diesel serviced at authorized service center in Pune for 70K (major servicing) recently. I replaced the brake pads and got cleaned rear brake shoes as well along with servicing and oil change. The total cost for servicing was around 11,500 /- (Including taxes).

Things which causing service cost to shoot up high is GST (18 %). It is having great impact on final bill of your servicing though you opt for small labor work or part replacement.

Few practices that I have been following while getting the vehicle serviced are,
1) Wheel balancing and alignment - at good tire shop
2) Only do the things which are mentioned in owners manual
3) No fancy items like - vent disinfect cleaner or something like this ( do at detailing studio only when and as required)
Old 13th December 2020, 12:51   #6902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Complete scam! I used to pay ~15K for my annual Octavia 1.8TSI service. What exactly are they using? PhD class technicians?

Please upload the detailed invoice. Also check Honda's website. Usually there is a service cost calculator so do compare all rates there.
Exactly ! This was mentioned by my friend who accompanied me to the HASS about his annual service with VW. And Honda Service period is bi-annual !

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay386 View Post
I feel brake pad change at 30K is too early to replace.
Did they warn out ? do you use brakes quite often or the vehicle is mainly used in city traffic ?
I cannot say about the usage as this was a new car for me ( Preowned) , but the brake pads were gone and I was shown the pieces.

[/quote]

Coming back to service cost, I got my City diesel serviced at authorized service center in Pune for 70K (major servicing) recently. I replaced the brake pads and got cleaned rear brake shoes as well along with servicing and oil change. The total cost for servicing was around 11,500 /- (Including taxes).

Things which causing service cost to shoot up high is GST (18 %). It is having great impact on final bill of your servicing though you opt for small labor work or part replacement.
)[/quote]

18% taxes does exacerbate the price. I asked them not to do WB&A and despite it , the bill was inflated !

Can you please check the labour charges on your last service ?
Old 16th December 2020, 14:43   #6903
BHPian

Quote:
Was I overcharged or is the Honda Labour charges absurdly high ?
7000 seems on a higher side for basic service. Did they charge higher amount for Brake Pad replacement?
Honda labour charges are high especially for metro cities compared to tier 2 cities. You can check on their website under services->cost of maintenance and compare the costs.

For basic service like air filter, oil filter and oil changes can be done at FNG.
I recently changed the above mentioned items in a small town (Kovilpatti, Tamil Nadu)for just Rs.200 labour charge and it took just under 30 min for my Honda City.
Materials I purchased from Amazon (Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil) and Boodomo(Filters).
Cabin and Air filters are easy to replace without any tools.

There is a personal satisfaction when I get to see the car while the parts are getting replaced and this was the primary reason to move away from Honda Authorized Service Centre for basic service.
jeygani is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 16:07   #6904
BHPian

Quote:
Kind attention of the Hoda City owners is invited !
I mailed the whole issue to the Honda India along with the CEO of the Franchise of Workshop ( Metro Honda) and I promptly received the confirmation email promising that they would get back to me.

I was approached by the Customer Relationship Manager and she just quoted the prices in the bill with which I expressed my displeasure.

Meanwhile, I went to an other Honda Workshop and inquired about the works done.I was told the Evaporator Cleaning Treatment and Replacing Gasket Intake Manifold are labour intensive jobs and that is the reason of inflated labour charges ( costing abt 2300 and 2600 respectively ) . It seems the Metro Honda failed to convey the details of the service they provided in a proper way .

CRM contacted me again and when asked about why I was not explained about the works properly instead of sneaking it through without my proper notice , there was an apology.

Last edited by poised2drive : 17th December 2020 at 16:08.
poised2drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 14:22   #6905
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!

He shares his predicament with us:
Quote:
I am an avid follower of Team BHP forum and learnt a lot about automobiles.
However, I am not a member of Team BHP and need technical assistance on a particular incident that happened 2 days back on my Honda City.

My Honda City 2014 iDTec got an underbody impact at night due to a rock on the road. I was doing speeds of 30-40 km/h.
I could not see it as I was slightly blinded due to the high beam from the oncoming vehicle.

1. Immediately after impact, I pulled to the side and checked for any underbody oil leaks or anything.

2. Then checked the road where the impact could have occurred and the road condition is as below:
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-image2.png

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-image3.png

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-image4.png

Quote:
3. While driving, I noticed that steering is not returning to center, it returns at the 11 o'Clock position instead of centre but the car is driving straight. Not drifting to the left or right. Steering position on return as shown below. However, I could make full right and left turns.
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-image5.png

Quote:
Then I drove straight to home back for 10 km at a speed of 20 km/h.

4. The next day my uncle took the car to a local wheel alignment shop. They took the trial and took it on the ramp for underbody inspection.
His conclusion is as below (I don't have any photos as my uncle went there and forgot to get snaps):
# LHS Lower Arm and LHS Suspension was bent and needs to be replaced.
# The distance between the wheel and fender is 3 fingers on RHS and whereas on LHS it's 4 and half fingers.
# Approx repair estimate is Rs. 9000/-

5. To confirm the work to be done I took the car to Honda ASS today and after trial they took the car on the ramp for underbody inspection. I could take some photos as below.
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-image6.png

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-image7.png

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-image9.png

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-image8.png

Quote:
They concluded as:
# The impact is on the subframe on RHS and that needs to be replaced.
# The lower arm on RHS is bent and needs to be replaced.
# Engine Guard Cover needs to be replaced as it has torn at the end.
# If problem won't get resolve by the above, then the Suspension Strut on RHS to be replaced as well.
# Approx repair estimate of Rs. 22000/-

6. My insurance is comprehensive and has 50% NCB with Own Damage Premium after NCB coming at Rs. 5100/-.
I would like the community to advice on below things:
1. Which of the above diagnosis correct? Since Alignment guy and ASS have contradictory diagnosis and solutions.
2. Can this repair be claimed under insurance?

Looking forward to opinions from trusted community.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by blackwasp : 21st December 2020 at 14:31.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 13:18   #6906
BHPian

So I just called 3M Car Care, Golf Course Rd, Gurugram to wrap my 2019 Honda City's Roof (Gloss Black) and I was quoted 16K for the job.

Are there any cheaper alternatives in Delhi-NCR?
Old 26th December 2020, 13:51   #6907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!
This looks bad. I am really amazed that it caused so much damage at 30-40 km/hr speed. I suspect the driver must have accelerated after it was stuck up unlike the underbody bump over a high speed-breaker.

My thought: better follow what the ASS advises and don't take a chance especially on the part that seems to be torn off. All the best

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th December 2020 at 17:17. Reason: Fixing broken quote + speed braker > speed breaker
Shashankjk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 15:21   #6908
BHPian

Anyone here has observed this ?
It is not possible to engage the 5th gear when the Honda Diesel engine is on idle.
Does any experts here know the reason behind this?
Old 30th December 2020, 15:47   #6909
BHPian

Regarding the AC. My car is about 4 years old. During the last service, the SA advised to get the Evaporator coil cleaned and recharge the AC gas. The FNG suggested that cleaning evaporator coil at this year of running was absolutely unnecessary and suggested to get the gas topped up every year or depending on the usage pattern. I currently live at the foothills of Western ghats and the requirement run the AC is quite restricted and mostly out of the compulsion to turn it on just to make sure the components are working fine! Please suggest on what has to done regarding this. We had a '99 Santro in our family for 17 years and I quite don't remember getting the Coil cleaned. The coil cleaning requires removing the dash and reassembling it. And my car is quite rattle free and don't want to risk the process! What should I do?
Old 30th December 2020, 17:47   #6910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravind_M92 View Post
What should I do?
Don’t fall for these creative tactics!

It’s a Honda, not a 3rd world OEM. Just leave the damn thing alone.

You don’t need to clean out your evaporator, nor do you need to top up your gas annually either. Not without reason, atleast.

Since you rarely use the AC, run the AC every week while you’re driving for 15 mins just to keep the system in good shape.

Now, if you are suffering from a lack of cooling or some other AC related complaint, sure fiddle with the various components, but otherwise, stop trying to fix something that isn’t broken.

And since when do you need to remove the evaporator to clean it? If it’s clogged, it just needs to be flushed using the procedure below -

Last edited by ChoosetoCruze : 30th December 2020 at 17:50.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 10:43   #6911
BHPian

I am facing a peculiar fogging issue in my headlight assembly and the fog light assembly as well. I have seen this happen during rains, during sunshine, during cold winter morning and also during summer afternoons! I am baffled by this. Service center says this is a problem with all Honda cars and its normal, but I cannot understand how moisture in a headlight assembly can be normal! Here are a few pictures of the issue:

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20201231_133909.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20201231_133914.jpg

When I wash my car the pattern on the headlamp assembly changes, and its even more baffling!

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20201231_145331.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20201231_145337.jpg

Has anyone faced similar issues? Can anyone please help with a solution?
esoticoreventon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 15:52   #6912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post

Has anyone faced similar issues? Can anyone please help with a solution?
This is normal and you will find this mentioned in the manual as well. Nothing to worry.
fast_elegance is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 10:52   #6913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
This is normal and you will find this mentioned in the manual as well. Nothing to worry.
Thank you! Is there any particular reason this happens? I don't see it in my friend's identical City and I didn't have this in my old City as well!
Old 3rd January 2021, 13:50   #6914
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Hope all are doing good. Happy new year to everyone. I am in a bit of dilemma regarding my Honda city service and need quick help. Thanks in advance.

I have a 2016 Honda City VX Automatic. The car was last serviced on Feb 2020 with odo reading 39881. By early March our company went into Work From Home mode and i have not taken the car out much. Current odo reading is 41756. Come jan 2021 there is a function in the family and the car has to go on a outstation trip. Usually before such trips i check if the car is serviced recently and only now i figured out last service was feb 2020 :-) Trip will be a total of 1000Kms only. After that trip the car will again sit idle only. I have no plans of using it regularly.

So, my Question is

A) Should i service the car again in service centre before the trip? Considering i paid 11k for last service (40k kms service or something which is twice the normal cost of 6k) and the car has not been used at all i am bit hesitant to do this.

B) Should i replace the engine oil alone in some shell petrol station? The manual says engine oil should be replaced every 6 months and it has already been 11 months. Will it affect the car if i do this trip without changing oil?

C) Do nothing. Finish the trip and take care during next service whenever it is.

Please help me with this dilemma guys. A, B, Or C ?

Regards
Dev
Old 3rd January 2021, 14:07   #6915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by irdevanand View Post
Hi Guys,
Please help me with this dilemma guys. A, B, Or C ?
Regards
Dev
I would recommend you to follow plan B. Get the engine oil changed as they need to be changed with time irrespective of usage. Also get the tyre pressure, brake fluid, coolant and other basics checked and you should be good to go!

Thanks.
Tojo_GotBhp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed