Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2022, 02:30   #7126
SRV

Re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Hey forum, Please help a newbie here.

Should I buy a brand new Honda City 4th Gen V variant for 11.5 Lakhs On road or should I opt for a used ford freestyle Diesel Titanium plus which has less than 25kms on odo which also gives a mileage of 20+ easily for 7 Lakhs. It's a well maintained car.

Which one should I choose, please help me. Thanks.
SRV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 07:54   #7127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRV View Post

Should I buy a brand new Honda City 4th Gen V variant for 11.5 Lakhs On road or should I opt for a used ford freestyle..
Need more details to comment further on this.

1. Your primary requirements- must haves
2. Secondary requirements - good to have
3. Yearly running
4. Space requirements
5. Use case - City vs Highway

From my perspective without knowing all these, I would still suggest Honda City. Because of following reasons.

1. Reliability
2. Space
3. Efficiency
4. Smooth 4 cy. I-vtech. Gem of an engine
5. Spare parts availability in future
6. Honda is still in India

P.S. - I have a 2015 Pre-owned Honda City Petrol. And had 2011 Ford Figo Diesel too. Both are quite different,and I loved both of them. But you see.. different times.
NEMatters is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 09:17   #7128
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2004 Honda City i-DSI - Things to look out for and other tidbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearup_1111 View Post

Looking at head lights in pic they seem to have a hazzy glass. May be they have been buffed as old headlights normally get sediment deposit on glass. Before changing bulb show it to someone who cleans headlight. That itself should improve visibility.
As the headlamp assembly ages, the outer plastic layer turns hazy/yellowish inevitably due to the elements and oxidation.
A quick and effective DIY to clear/restore the headlights is to apply toothpaste over it and let it stay for about 10 min and then just buff it all over the plastic with a little water dipped cloth and it will get clear.
To prevent quick re-oxidation, apply some wax polish on the headlamps and buff it off once dry like regular polish process.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 2nd October 2022 at 09:18.
Old 2nd October 2022, 09:23   #7129
BHPian

With a heavy heart, i bid goodbye to my 2015 VX(o) P MT after putting 110k kilometres on the odo. This car held a special place as it was the first car i bought with my money. Both my daughters came home from the hospital in it. We took her to multiple road trips without ever being stranded. The 1.5 ivtec with the manual stick was and is still a joy to drive and the suspension never bottomed out. Also, the rear seat comfort is second to none in the segment. The desire to buy one began with this thread and its only apt that i end the journey on it.
Old 2nd October 2022, 11:38   #7130
BHPian

Quote:

Should I buy a brand new Honda City 4th Gen V variant for 11.5 Lakhs On road or should I opt for a used ford freestyle Diesel Titanium plus which has less than 25kms on odo which also gives a mileage of 20+ easily for 7 Lakhs. It's a well maintained car.

Which one should I choose, please help me. Thanks.
How long do u plan to retain the car?
How much is your daily drive?
Both cars are different be it length, seating comfort and fuel.

Ford been discontinued is another challenge in itself after few years and depreciation would be high as you would find very few buyers down the line.
Old 2nd October 2022, 14:32   #7131
SRV

Quote:
How long do u plan to retain the car?
How much is your daily drive?
Both cars are different be it length, seating comfort and fuel.

Ford been discontinued is another challenge in itself after few years and depreciation would be high as you would find very few buyers down the line.
Thanks for the response. The intention is to keep till it breaks and screams for an upgrade. So it should be for 10 years minimum or even more than that.

I have an alto K10 automatic which will be used inside city traffic. So the car I'm planning to buy will remain as "Primary car" and the car will be used in both city and highways. City 25% and highways 75%

A month it will be close to 700 to 1000 kms..

I keep any product for a long period of time and I would like to keep my car for very long period of time. I don't like to upgrade things frequently.

The main two competition is between Ford Freestyle vs Honda City 4th Gen

Things I like about Ford Freestyle

Excellent ground clearance
Fabulous steering feedback and performance.
TDCI engine is gem
Mileage of 25 PL is outstanding
Diesel

Things I'm thinking twice to go ahead

Ford is closed. Not sure about the reliability factor.
Spending 7 to 8 Lakhs for a car that is not in the market
Average looks

Things I like about Honda city
Sedan
Honda is a honda is a honda
iVTEC engine is equally a gem
comfort
Reliability factor
New car for 11 Lakhs on road price

Things I don't like about Honda city
Steering feedback is poor
Mileage is not great
Interiors does not create a wow factor

Pour in your thoughts please.
SRV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 17:17   #7132
SRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMatters View Post
Need more details to comment further on this.

1. Your primary requirements- must haves
2. Secondary requirements - good to have
3. Yearly running
4. Space requirements
5. Use case - City vs Highway

From my perspective without knowing all these, I would still suggest Honda City. Because of following reasons.

1. Reliability
2. Space
3. Efficiency
4. Smooth 4 cy. I-vtech. Gem of an engine
5. Spare parts availability in future
6. Honda is still in India

P.S. - I have a 2015 Pre-owned Honda City Petrol. And had 2011 Ford Figo Diesel too. Both are quite different,and I loved both of them. But you see.. different times.

Thanks for the response and suggestion.

Primary requirements - To own a good car with 4 cylinder engine has good reliability with safety features. Driving dynamics and steering feedback is very important for me. I just love to have a good steering feedback, don't know the reason behind it. I have an alto K10 AMT to drive inside city or dense traffic. So predominantly this car will be used mainly for highways and occasional city drives.

Secondary requirements - Mileage as this will be used for long trips. Reliability and of course a good looking car.

Yearly running will be close to 10K kms for sure.

Space requirements - Mostly it will be 2 people; Me and my wife. 30% of the time my parents who are senior citizens will be accompanied.

Use case - 75% Highways and 25% city.

Yes as you suggested, honda city is in my top list. But Im genuinely afraid of the ground clearance as this will be used for lot of trips across south India. Mileage of 10 or 12 is really too low for the kms I will be covering in a year.

The reason why I can't reject Ford Freestyle is because of two reasons,
1. Driving performance - Steering feedback
2. Mileage - A single tank full is going to give me 1000 kms range which is insane.

Out of all the cars, after all the analysis Im stuck between these two. I understand these are two different segments. But clearly confused will be the right statement here.
SRV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 18:23   #7133
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Yearly running will be close to 10K kms for sure.

Space requirements - Mostly it will be 2 people; Me and my wife. 30% of the time my parents who are senior citizens will be accompanied.

Use case - 75% Highways and 25% city.

The reason why I can't reject Ford Freestyle is because of two reasons,
1. Driving performance - Steering feedback
2. Mileage - A single tank full is going to give me 1000 kms range which is insane.

Out of all the cars, after all the analysis Im stuck between these two. I understand these are two different segments. But clearly confused will be the right statement here.
Honda city 4th Gen will be a proper car. Freestyle at the end of the day will be a hatchback with compromise on passenger and boot space. If you need comfort and love to own a proper full fledged car Honda city it is. If you can drive a hatchback for next 10 years Freestyle it is. All the very best. If I'm you I will try to get Honda city. But you may have to check ingress and egress comfort levels of your parent in low slung sedan.

Last edited by KPR : 2nd October 2022 at 18:24.
KPR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 20:59   #7134
BHPian

Quote:
The main two competition is between Ford Freestyle vs Honda City 4th Gen
With your requirements and alto already in place i would suggest Honda City. Life will be 15 years along with full size no nonsense car.

Freestyle would feel obsolete 2-3 years down the line.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 2nd October 2022 at 21:31. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Kindly quote only relevant sections of the post.
Gearup_1111 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 07:38   #7135
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the response and suggestion.

Primary requirements..
For Honda City I can say following-

1. The milage is not groundbreaking best. But still in its segment it is quite good. Considering its a petrol 1.5ltr engine.
2. For highways you got loads of space
3. You already have a small car for city. Makes sense for highways to have a bigger car.
4. Ground clearance is a concern yes! But if you are careful it is okay to live with. And highways are comparatively better that way.

For Freestyle -
1. You are getting a hatch again with good engine
2. Do you think space would be okay for your future requirements too?
3. Parts availability can be a concern considering horizon of 10 + yrs
4. You might save some money now but there is a possibility of buying headache of maintenance.

Put your thoughts on a piece of paper and decide mate.
Goodluck
Old 3rd October 2022, 12:08   #7136
BHPian

My city 2018 driven around 50000 kms was having a "kuk kuk kuk" noise as if some machine has got started while car was above 30km/h and increased with increase in speed.

Honda service center guys said this noise is due to worn out rear tyres, started forcing on me that i need to get 2 tyres replaced which I said fine but asked them to replace these tyres with some other car so that I can become double sure on this which after a little push they agreed.

They swapped my all 4 tyres with some other car and the noise stood as it is which meant that noise was not due to tyres.

Post this they changed their stand and said that noise is coming from rear left wheel bearing which costs around Rs 8500.

Has anyone encountered this in their car and is there a good alternative brand to Honda OE bearing?
Gearup_1111 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 19:10   #7137
BHPian

Quote:
My city 2018 driven around 50000 kms was having a "kuk kuk kuk" noise as if some machine has got started while car was above 30km/h and increased with increase in speed.

Honda service center guys said this noise is due to worn out rear tyres, started forcing on me that i need to get 2 tyres replaced which I said fine but asked them to replace these tyres with some other car so that I can become double sure on this which after a little push they agreed.

They swapped my all 4 tyres with some other car and the noise stood as it is which meant that noise was not due to tyres.

Post this they changed their stand and said that noise is coming from rear left wheel bearing which costs around Rs 8500.

Has anyone encountered this in their car and is there a good alternative brand to Honda OE bearing?
Got rear wheel bearing hub changed from FNG for Rs2250 (Rs2050 for part plus 200 labour) and the noise has totally gone. Mechanic said he has changed this hub in type 2 and type 3 HC's but usually around 1 Lac mark.

My Car is 50k so went through various forums and found similar problem in some Type 4 and 5 models around 50k mark or even earlier. Seems quality of parts is deteriorating.

Overall I like this car for acceleration, comfort, features in ZX and fuel efficiency however I just hate its ride quality and noise on bad roads. May be low profile tyres are culprit.

Last edited by Gearup_1111 : 11th October 2022 at 19:14. Reason: Typing error
Gearup_1111 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 19:16   #7138
BHPian

Quote:

Should I buy a brand new Honda City 4th Gen V variant for 11.5 Lakhs On road or should I opt for a used ford freestyle Diesel Titanium plus
Knowing the Ford had already left India and ownership experience will be probably will go southward only, and Honda city Gen 4 is still quite fresh (with mid life facelift).

I would any day go with Honda city:

- A full fledged upgrade as you require
- Performance of the machine itself, power delivery, comfort, convenience, ergonomics = better than Freestyle
- Reliable, fuss free ownership, competent ASS
- Easy on pocket yet friendly on longer trips
- Snob value of City brand
Old 14th October 2022, 18:32   #7139
BHPian

Hi, can anyone suggest good brake pads for HC CVT type 4. OE at HASS cost 3200 whereas Bosch/ Rane/ TVS are in range of Rs1000.

This will be first time pads will be changed at 50000Km mark.
Old 15th October 2022, 01:03   #7140
BHPian

I got mine replaced and I installed the Bosch, they are doing pretty well, no issues faced till date.
Quote:
Hi, can anyone suggest good brake pads for HC CVT type 4. OE at HASS cost 3200 whereas Bosch/ Rane/ TVS are in range of Rs1000.

This will be first time pads will be changed at 50000Km mark.

Most Viewed