Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2022, 14:02   #7141

Re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Hi..just have a quick question. My 4th Gen City is due for a tyre change. It was wearing the stock spec tyres, 175/65/15R till now. Didn't have any issues as such, though I never felt too confident at high speeds due to the lack of grip as well as light steering. Now coming to the question, if I happen to upsize to 195/60/15R, will it cause any issues with suspension, EPS sensor, early brake pad wearing, etc. etc.? The dilemma is that even though I would love to get more stability and grip on the highway, I don't want it at the cost of reliability. Could anyone who did upsize to 195/60/15R share their views on long-term experience? Thanks in advance.

P.S. Has anyone tried Bridgestone's Sturdo range of tyres? If yes, please share its pros and cons.
aneezshah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 14:40   #7142
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezshah View Post
Hi..just have a quick question. My 4th Gen City is due for a tyre change. It was wearing the stock spec tyres, 175/65/15R till now. Didn't have any issues as such, though I never felt too confident at high speeds due to the lack of grip as well as light steering. Now coming to the question, if I happen to upsize to 195/60/15R, will it cause any issues with suspension, EPS sensor, early brake pad wearing, etc. etc.? The dilemma is that even though I would love to get more stability and grip on the highway, I don't want it at the cost of reliability. Could anyone who did upsize to 195/60/15R share their views on long-term experience? Thanks in advance.
I have a 4th gen Honda City, whose entire life (almost) has been spend on 'crappy' Kerala roads. Started using 195 section tyres from 28,000 kms till now. Using second set of Michelins now (XM2 and then 4ST). The car has covered 1,10,000 kms as of now, I have changed the suspension once at 90,000+ kms. The break pad wear depends completely on your driving style, mine use to last 42,000 kms average. One doubt though, how much kms have you covered till now?
Old 16th October 2022, 15:06   #7143

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
I have a 4th gen Honda City, whose entire life (almost) has been spend on 'crappy' Kerala roads. Started using 195 section tyres from 28,000 kms till now. Using second set of Michelins now (XM2 and then 4ST). The car has covered 1,10,000 kms as of now, I have changed the suspension once at 90,000+ kms. The break pad wear depends completely on your driving style, mine use to last 42,000 kms average. One doubt though, how much kms have you covered till now?
Thanks for the insight. So are you saying the upsizing would make it ride better on our "Kerala" roads without many reliability issues?

We purchased our car in March 2014. It has only covered 21,000 km to date and is still equipped with the factory-installed Bridgestone B250 tyres. Usage is on the lower side since we got other cars. The current tyre still has enough tread depth, but it has gotten hard, hence the planned change.
Old 16th October 2022, 15:34   #7144
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks for the insight. So are you saying the upsizing would make it ride better on our "Kerala" roads without many reliability issues?
Mine is June 2014 model. Don't expect a drastic improvement in ride quality. The 4th gen Honda City has a kind of 'busy' ride even with upsized tyres. The pothole tackling would be slightly better with upsized tyres. If you are expecting better ride quality (cushy ride), better to go for higher profiles like 195/65/15 or 185/65/15. But you need to check if the 195/65 tyre would foul with the car when steering is turned to the extreme right and left positions. Also expect an increased body roll in case you are going for higher profile tyres.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 16:27   #7145
BHPian

Quote:
Hi..just have a quick question. My 4th Gen City is due for a tyre change. It was wearing the stock spec tyres, 175/65/15R till now.

Could anyone who did upsize to 195/60/15R share their views on long-term experience? Thanks in advance.

P.S. Has anyone tried Bridgestone's Sturdo range of tyres? If yes, please share its pros and cons.
Have been using Yokohama earth 195/65 r15 on a Idtec since 20k kms and the experience has been good. There is a very slight increase in ground clearance which helps when the car is fully loaded. The car is mostly driven in Bangalore which currently has one of the worst roads, other than stability and grips which you have mentioned already you may find the steering slight harder than before. Didn't face any issues that you have mentioned.
Old 20th October 2022, 18:23   #7146
BHPian

Suggestions invited for 2 things:

1. Brake pads : OE Rs3500 vs Bosch Rs1100
2. Best company for suspension components apart from OE
Old 25th October 2022, 23:58   #7147

Dear Members,
While I've been following the forum, I'm new here in posts/comments, etc.

I'm looking for a new car for myself and since the Honda City 4th gen is still available, is that still a good option to consider?
Looking at the on road price, the City 4th gen SV is around 11.75l. Other options in the similar range are Hatchbacks - i20, Baleno, etc. Or CSUVs Nexon, Sonet, Venue, etc.

Personally, I'm liking the odds of the City much better over these options

I see this thread is very active with long term users of the beloved City, so hoping to get some inputs.
Autokett is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 10:39   #7148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autokett View Post
I see this thread is very active with long term users of the beloved City, so hoping to get some inputs.
If you’re not into the latest and greatest in tech or features, the City is way better than other cars at that price. A manual VTEC city is the purist’s family car. It has enough space for all, a huge boot, sorted suspension and a handsome design (subjective). We have a 2018 City and it’s fit as a fiddle. It will never leave you stranded.

When it comes to the driving part, the VTEC is a gem. Dynamics wise, a tyre upgrade to 195 section is all you’ll need. Suspension does get bouncy above 120km/hr on undulating highways when the car is unloaded.

Considering everything, you just can’t go wrong with a City. We’ve had 3 generations of Citys and none of them has disappointed us.

I would suggest you to upgrade to the V variant tho. It’s a small up-charge.
revsperminute is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 22:48   #7149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRV View Post
Hey forum, Please help a newbie here.

Should I buy a brand new Honda City 4th Gen V variant for 11.5 Lakhs On road or should I opt for a used ford freestyle Diesel Titanium plus which has less than 25kms on odo which also gives a mileage of 20+ easily for 7 Lakhs. It's a well maintained car.

Which one should I choose, please help me. Thanks.
After owning a City for 9 years, here is what I feel about getting one:
Pros:
1. Space of the car.
2. The VTEC (it's a gem, trust me).
3. Boot space.
4. Size:Price ratio is fantabulous.
5. Comfortable for highways.
Cons:
1. Long in the tooth.
2. Skinny tyres.
3. Low GC.
4. Concern of discontinuation.
5. Honda's recent status.

Ford Freestyle:
Pros:
1. Ford dynamics.
2. High GC.
3. Being a diesel, it will have good FE.
4. Coming from a hatchback, you will feel at home in this car.
5. Sufficient space for the two of you.
Cons:
1. Ford has left India.
2. Second-hand car needs to be given a proper check.
3. Ford Service issues.
4. Boot space might be a compromise.
5. DPF issues.

If my advice has to be taken, I would advise you to take the Honda. Also, if driving dynamics is what you want, and a hatchback is what you can live with, check out the C3. A little compromise on features but a perfect driving package. You can also check out the I-20 N-line.
Hope this helps. Take what is best for you. All the best.

Last edited by MADisMynAMe : 27th October 2022 at 23:06.
MADisMynAMe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 02:46   #7150

Have you considered other options instead of Honda City? Maybe a Brezza?
Old 28th October 2022, 08:04   #7151

There is no doubt Ford freestyle diesel is a great vehicle and the cheapest to maintain. But, considering the fact that Ford left India, if you need peace of mind blindly go with Honda city.
Varun7774 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 09:55   #7152

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRV View Post
Hey forum, Please help a newbie here.

Should I buy a brand new Honda City 4th Gen V variant for 11.5 Lakhs On road or should I opt for a used ford freestyle Diesel Titanium plus which has less than 25kms on odo which also gives a mileage of 20+ easily for 7 Lakhs. It's a well maintained car.

Which one should I choose, please help me. Thanks.
Hey bud. I was in the same situation as you a month ago. We've had a sedan at home for more than 10 years now, hence I wanted a change and picked Freestyle. It fits my requirements perfectly and I personally feel that it is the most VFM car under 8-10 lakhs. Got mine for way less than that, so happy with the savings too.

Freestyle & City are both excellent vehicles, but the latter is much more popular.

1. Both weigh around the same (~ 20 kgs difference) and are built well.

2. Both provide excellent driving dynamics, great highway manners and awesome engines with more or less similar power & torque.

3. City offers superior passenger & boot space. (510L vs 257L)

4. City's interiors seem more premium than Freestyle's. Freestyle has the best in class Sync 3 infotainment system and an awesome chiller AC.

5. Freestyle offers better mileage and its ground clearance will come in handy for sure. Although, 80% of the time, GC is not a big issue.

6. Freestyle offers great safety features. A complete package which is unavailable in any other car in this segment. ESP, TCS, ARP & HHA. The first 3 are life-saving features. During unforeseen situations, Freestyle will be the safer car. Also, 6 airbags vs 2 in City.

7. Automatic (Headlamps, wipers, rear washer, day night interior mirror) vs none in City.

8. Comfort wise, City gets front & rear armrests, rear AC vents and power outlets. It also has cruise control & a dead pedal. It has no adjustable rear headrests.

Freestyle gets adjustable rear headrests.

Now, considering your requirements and the current situation,

1. If you want a great hassle-free car, get the City.
No worries about service and the car will retain its value in the future.

2. If you're a little adventurous like me, get the Freestyle. Be ready for uncertain service & maintenance situations in the future. Although, you can use the 5L you save now for future service & maintenence.

Hope this was helpful! Let us know what you decide.
Vvvishhh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 17:53   #7153
BHPian

Get the new Honda City. You can somehow tackle ground clearance issue with careful driving. GC won't be an everyday issue. When it matters once in a while, drive carefully. All the best. Maybe look for tyre diameter upsize for marginal GC gain.
driver52001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 08:26   #7154
Distinguished - BHPian

2023 Honda City (GN-series) facelift spotted in Thailand.

It's much too early to tell what's new in the 2023 Honda City facelift, but the covered-up bumpers and side skirts indicate a visual rework

Quote:
A test run in Thailand revealed a Honda City 4-door Sedan body with a black, unpainted front bumper and grille. The design work on the bumper corners has been reworked. Under the edge of the door is installed side skirts. The rear end also comes with a newly designed rear bumper shell and a spoiler over the trunk lid.
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-spyshotshondacityminorchange2023.jpg

Initially, the Honda City facelift is scheduled to be unveiled in Thailand.

Link
Old 31st October 2022, 13:38   #7155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearup_1111 View Post
Suggestions invited for 2 things:
1. Brake pads : OE Rs3500 vs Bosch Rs1100
I would suggest to stick to OE brake pads if available even though they are expensive. I recently got my disc surfaced and I wanted to go for the OE brake pads however the FNG could source for Bosch brake pads only. Though they are working fine however I can feel the braking was much better with OEM brake pads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks