Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2014, 20:48   #1591

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Just got XM2s installed. Had driven around 75kms on the 175s, and found performance to be alright, nothing really wrong with the originals of you get the Michelin batch.

But there is a huge difference in ride quality with the 195 XM2s. I highly recommend upgrading. Did contemplate buying the Primacy 3ST, but they definitely have softer sidewalls, and overall is a softer tyre. Am sure performance would be great, and would be less noisy, but may be prone to faster wear and tear.
Old 12th April 2014, 21:21   #1592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzim View Post
Just got XM2s installed. Had driven around 75kms on the 175s, and found performance to be alright, nothing really wrong with the originals of you get the Michelin batch.

But there is a huge difference in ride quality with the 195 XM2s. I highly recommend upgrading. Did contemplate buying the Primacy 3ST, but they definitely have softer sidewalls, and overall is a softer tyre. Am sure performance would be great, and would be less noisy, but may be prone to faster wear and tear.
Yes - I went for the XM2 as well suspecting the same with Primacy 3ST.

Also, with features such as better grip and braking there would definitely be some toll on the fuel efficiency as well. With the XM2 being advertised for additional mileage and durability - it felt like a safer choice for me.
Old 12th April 2014, 21:45   #1593
D4D
BHPian

A little more from honda would have taken the car much more forward.
->VGT could produce 15-20 horses more
->The centre seat for rear passenger is terrible
->195 section rubber would have improved dynamics by a big margin
->I ask why is the boot left naked? How much does it cost to cover it?
Old 13th April 2014, 10:05   #1594
BANNED

Made all financials ready to see if that speeds up the process. As I gear up for my car had few queries for which need some help. For getting the NCB bonus transferred to new car, I saw the process, but is it required that I sell the old car first and then ask for it? In Hyderabad, do we get high security number plates? Any idea how much does it cost to get preferred number like 1213 etc.
Old 13th April 2014, 12:57   #1595
AMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjain View Post
Hi Guys, news from my dealer in Jaipur (Pink City Motors) is that the golden brown colour is facing quality problems and HONDA has stopped the production of the city in Golden Brown, for the moment. Any one else heard this story?

I think I am being taken for a ride here. ..................

The excitement for new car has gone. Several stern emails and phone calls later I get a mail from customer relations that my car is scheduled for 4th week April delivery. Colour unknown!

A common shoulder to cry on anyone? especially from Jaipur?

Write letters to the highest authority in Honda India, write to the RM, GM, Directors. Attach copies of the cheques and make it clear that this is BAD business practice and you want answers from the highest authority at Honda India. - You will be heard this way. Customer care wont help.

Make an example of this bad business practive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Its been 50days since I brought my iDTEC V home, over which it has done 4000km at 21.6kmpl. Overall a very satisfying experience.

One small thing.

The stock Michelin XM1 tires have become rather noisy now. The ride was very silent initially. But now, a fair amount of road noise enters the cabin at 70+ speeds. Anyone else experiencing such a thing?
Comments on this is requested from experts, could this be becuase of the tires or something else. Have others with 3000 + running faced similar issues. Also comments from people who have upgrade their tires and had some reasonsable running also share their experience.
Old 13th April 2014, 18:34   #1596

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
The V Variant also crosses 10L Its a very unfair policy that us Bangaloreans have to bear. But that's how it works currently.
I totally agree vsrivatsa. Yes, when it come to Diesel City, there is no difference but i was referring to i-VTEC City. Petrol V MT is Rs.9,06,000 (Ex-Showroom) and Petrol VX MT is Rs.10,01,000 (Ex-Showroom) Both NON METALLIC as i have selected Taffeta White.

Last edited by moralfibre : 14th April 2014 at 10:36. Reason: Fixing quote tag
Old 13th April 2014, 20:38   #1597

Have been pottering around in the city for the past couple of days, never had the chance to engage 5th or 6th gear, and the dash is showing 15kmpl. Early days I guess, but I don't think this number will improve a lot for in-city driving. I would be very surprised if this number improved by over 30% on the highway.

Very satisfied with the way the car handles and drives, it is a great city car...
Old 13th April 2014, 22:50   #1598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosathyas View Post
.... For getting the NCB bonus transferred to new car, I saw the process, but is it required that I sell the old car first and then ask for it? .....
I had the same query in mind.

I did some reading around and understand that one can sell old car after buying the new car and then transfer the NCB to the new car during the insurance renewal of the new car after 1 year.
In this case, if I have 50% NCB from old car, will I get 50% discount on the Insurance premium during insurance renewal of Honda City?

Last edited by for_cars1 : 13th April 2014 at 22:52.
Old 13th April 2014, 23:28   #1599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
A little more from honda would have taken the car much more forward.
->VGT could produce 15-20 horses more
->The centre seat for rear passenger is terrible
->195 section rubber would have improved dynamics by a big margin
->I ask why is the boot left naked? How much does it cost to cover it?
I feel that the centre seat is best in Honda City for a sedan car in this segment although tall persons will find difficult. But still way better than other cars in this segment.
adarsh76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 08:16   #1600
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
I feel that the centre seat is best in Honda City for a sedan car in this segment although tall persons will find difficult. But still way better than other cars in this segment.
Yes. It was the tall people I was talking about.
Old 14th April 2014, 09:37   #1601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by feroz_009 View Post
It's engine idler pulley bearing. You can figure it out only after driving around 10 Kim's. There is no noise during cold start. After first service the noise has decreased a lot, but, I still insisted on the replacement. The technician informed me that there was a play in the bearing which was leading to this sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Last night after 40 mins of driving in dense traffic i could hear the noise loud and clearly especially while idling and when i opened the hood. It was more like the sound you get if you get a knife sharpened on a grinding wheel. In the morning with the engine cold there was no noise. The dealer is asking me to keep the car with them for 1-2 days. But at the moment i am just too busy at office.

Wondering if the quality control guys at Honda are sleeping. I hope they resolve this quickly. A blemish on otherwise a true enthusiast's car the manual petrol that is.
Yesterday after driving for about 20 kms, I tried to check if similar noise is coming from engine. I could here a mild sound when my window was open. When I opened my bonnet, the sound was very evident and it was indeed like the one you get when sharpening a knife on the wheel. I do not hear it at all when the windows are rolled up. I've added this to my list of issues when my car goes for the 1st service.

I've uploaded the sound coming from the engine here:
https://soundcloud.com/netmax/2014-h...ity-svt-idling

what is the exact part that needs replacement here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Surprising that the Extended Warranty and RSA certificates haven't been given to you guys. I received both of them during delivery.

In fact, it is a compulsory part of Shubh Honda's quotation, and is an integral part of all their car deliveries.
I called up my SA and initially he said that it should come by mail. I then mentioned that few of my friends got at time of delivery and then he said he'll check and get back.

I checked all my documents again and not a single one for Road Side Assistance or Extended Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzim View Post

I'm glad you upgraded. Mine also came with Michelin XM1 and I could easily feel the difference when I upgraded to Michelin 195/60 P3ST. The tyres are super silent even at high speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ View Post
Comments on this is requested from experts, could this be becuase of the tires or something else. Have others with 3000 + running faced similar issues. Also comments from people who have upgrade their tires and had some reasonsable running also share their experience.
I'm not too much into pushing my car beyond a certain limit and mainly the car is used in city with family. The effect after tyre upgrade is easily noticeable and the ride is much more comfortable and quiet.
Old 14th April 2014, 09:43   #1602
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
....In this case, if I have 50% NCB from old car, will I get 50% discount on the Insurance premium during insurance renewal of Honda City?
That's right. Do you plan to take insurance from the dealer or from another vendor?
Old 14th April 2014, 09:57   #1603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
I have no idea how you guys managed to get such amazing figures for city in city driving , but this is the best i could manage in Delhi's bumper to bumper traffic.

I adopted a very sedate driving style and upshifted at about 1800 rpm and rarely went above 2000 rpm , this figure is with AC on 100% of the time.
Driven my CVT VX for over 2000kms now and i am seriously disappointed with the mileage. I get 9.5 to 10 km/l max. Driving has been mostly urban with an occasional Delhi- Gurgaon Highway run. The ECO mode is completely useless IMHO.
Old 14th April 2014, 10:04   #1604
BHPian

Gave my car for the 1st service over the weekend. There was some squeaking noise coming from the piano black panel. However, the service assistant suggested that I should probably continue with the noise for a while if not too obtrusive. When asked why, the response was the a lot of the engineers haven't been trained properly on the new City and hence would be better if they were to open the dashboard in the 2nd or 3rd service. Apparently this noise is present in more cars as well (he showed it to me). Anyone else on the forum noticing it as well?

My mileage for the first 1000km was a 9.5 in conditions of only city driving and that too in the dirty bumper to bumper traffic in Mumbai. Pretty satisfactory considering my SX4 used to give me 9 or below. Can't wait for an opportunity to take the car out of town on the highway!

Finally, this morning I had a straight line dash with a BMW 320. I'm sure he didn't know what hit him. This machine is a rocket!

--- 2014 C-Red Honda City V-MT iVTEC ---

Last edited by moralfibre : 14th April 2014 at 10:35. Reason: Editing out street racing reference.
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 10:13   #1605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Driven my CVT VX for over 2000kms now and i am seriously disappointed with the mileage. I get 9.5 to 10 km/l max. Driving has been mostly urban with an occasional Delhi- Gurgaon Highway run. The ECO mode is completely useless IMHO.
I've driven my SV CVT for about 650 kms now.

Please do check this post on my ownership report: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3412393

In city, I agree. I'm getting FE of between 9 - 9.5kmpl. This is in Bangalore traffic where I'm mostly on lower speeds. Maybe CVT engine FE is same as earlier generation City Automatic under traffic conditions.

On highway however, the engine becomes really fuel efficient. For the 60km round trip to airport , I got FE of 18.2 kmpl (the post captures more about driving style).

Few things about 'D+ECON' mode that I noticed till now:
- Once you enable ECON mode, the pickup is really bad at lower speeds and engine becomes very noisy.
- On a fully loaded car (4 adults), it'll be really difficult to use ECON mode. I find the car's pickup slower than my earlier i10 (a bit of exaggeration here as well but it is indeed very bad) at lower speeds. I always keep it disabled when more than 3 adults are sitting in car.
- This mode should be used more during cruising/higher speeds. I don't feel the lag/lower performance at higher speeds and engine is also very quiet and the car returns better FE numbers.
- The AC performance does reduce a bit in this mode and if it's really hot, you might want to turn it OFF till the cabin gets cooled.
- It'll be really difficult to drive in this mode in a city with lot of up-down hill/ roads with lot of slopes (like in Bangalore).

Last edited by neel911 : 14th April 2014 at 10:15.
neel911 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed