Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2014, 10:20   #1606
Senior - BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
When I opened my bonnet, the sound was very evident and it was indeed like the one you get when sharpening a knife on the wheel. I do not hear it at all when the windows are rolled up. I've added this to my list of issues when my car goes for the 1st service.
what is the exact part that needs replacement here?
Oops - looks like the problem is consistent.
Its supposed to be the Engine Idler Pulley Bearing as reported @URL

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
I called up my SA and initially he said that it should come by mail. I then mentioned that few of my friends got at time of delivery and then he said he'll check and get back. I checked all my documents again and not a single one for Road Side Assistance or Extended Warranty
Reminder for me, I am yet to call up and check. I haven't received any document either from Dakshin Honda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Driven my CVT VX for over 2000kms now and i am seriously disappointed with the mileage. I get 9.5 to 10 km/l max. Driving has been mostly urban with an occasional Delhi- Gurgaon Highway run. The ECO mode is completely useless IMHO.
Honda should plan to introduce the Diesel Automatic soon - there definitely would be demand for it.
Old 14th April 2014, 10:32   #1607

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Oops - looks like the problem is consistent.
Its supposed to be the Engine Idler Pulley Bearing as reported @URL

Reminder for me, I am yet to call up and check. I haven't received any document either from Dakshin Honda.

Honda should plan to introduce the Diesel Automatic soon - there definitely would be demand for it.
I would've bought the Diesel Automatic blindly, but it would've definitely pushed onroad pricing to nearly 14L.

I haven't heard the grinding sound, have driven the car for about 300kms, so not sure when this starts happening.

And any idea if there are any limits to be maintained while driving for the first 1000kms, didn't spot any specific instructions in the manual, and the SA didn't mention it either.
Old 14th April 2014, 10:52   #1608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzim View Post
I would've bought the Diesel Automatic blindly, but it would've definitely pushed onroad pricing to nearly 14L.

I haven't heard the grinding sound, have driven the car for about 300kms, so not sure when this starts happening.

And any idea if there are any limits to be maintained while driving for the first 1000kms, didn't spot any specific instructions in the manual, and the SA didn't mention it either.

Are you having Diesel or Petrol variant? Please do mention the type in posts or add the same to your signature so it's easy to identify the same.
I believe the problem is specific to Petrol variants but I'll let other folks confirm.

With respect to engine run in period, I would try not to go to 3 digit speeds and keep RPM in 2500 range (in Automatic it does bump to 3000 at times even in D mode).
Old 14th April 2014, 10:59   #1609
BHPian

Quote:
Driven my CVT VX for over 2000kms now and i am seriously disappointed with the mileage. I get 9.5 to 10 km/l max. Driving has been mostly urban with an occasional Delhi- Gurgaon Highway run. The ECO mode is completely useless IMHO.
I feel both the powerplants (petrol and diesel) are just ordinary when it comes to fuel efficiency and not as efficient as the hype buildup around them suggests. 9.5 for petrol and 14 for diesel are pretty ordinary figures. The peak hours - bumper to bumper trafic is the best place to test the efficiency of an engine and both these honda engines have'nt shown any extra ordinary results in those conditions.
Old 14th April 2014, 11:24   #1610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
I feel both the powerplants (petrol and diesel) are just ordinary when it comes to fuel efficiency and not as efficient as the hype buildup around them suggests. 9.5 for petrol and 14 for diesel are pretty ordinary figures. The peak hours - bumper to bumper trafic is the best place to test the efficiency of an engine and both these honda engines have'nt shown any extra ordinary results in those conditions.
Not sure what is an ideal measure for this but I can only speak for the i-DTEC Engine. Here is my own scenario: I used to own a Accent CRDi and with it I used to get a FE reading of 12.5 to 13 kmpl in my daily commute to office and back (distance of about 40 km) measured tank full to tank full method.

Under the same conditions and measured tank full to tank full method on the same route I am getting a FE of 18kmpl to 18.5kmpl with the new Diesel City which is an increase of 5.5 kmpl which when we convert to statistics is a 40% increase in fuel efficiency
Old 14th April 2014, 11:34   #1611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
That's right. Do you plan to take insurance from the dealer or from another vendor?
I plan to take the insurance from the Dealer.

I've changed my booking from VX MT Diesel to VMT after giving some thought.

1. I got a bit apprehensive that the Sun-Roof could possibly leak (however good the quality of the sunroof maybe, water somehow can find a way to trickle inside, say after 5 years or more). Felt its better to go without the hole above the head.

2. Push-button start and request sensor at the door, have heard of reliability issues in the push button system (generally, not specific to Honda) , especially if the battery goes dead. Felt the traditional key system would be more reliable.

3. Sound insulating windshield in the VX. Didn't perceive any reduction in sound to warrant this feature.

4. Leather seat upholstery: This is a good to have feature. There are after market options for this. Have to admit that fabric seats would be more comfortable in hot weather conditions.

Default tendency was to go with the highest variant initially. After some thought, felt that more fancy features = more points of failure = more headache.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 14th April 2014 at 11:42.
for_cars1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 11:46   #1612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
I plan to take the insurance from the Dealer.

I've changed my booking from VX MT Diesel to VMT after giving some thought.

1. I got a bit apprehensive that the Sun-Roof could possibly leak (however good the quality of the sunroof maybe, water somehow can find a way to trickle inside, say after 5 years or more). Felt its better to go without the hole above the head.

2. Push-button start and request sensor at the door, have heard of reliability issues in the push button system (generally, not specific to Honda) , especially if the battery goes dead. Felt the traditional key system would be more reliable.

3. Sound insulating windshield in the VX. Didn't perceive any reduction in sound to warrant this feature.

4. Leather seat upholstery: This is a good to have feature. There are after market options for this. Have to admit that fabric seats would be more comfortable in hot weather conditions.

Default tendency was to go with the highest variant initially. After some thought, felt that more fancy features = more points of failure = more headache.
Very valid points - also why i would have gone for the V in place of the VX, IF i was going for the manual. But had to get the VX for the paddles in the CVT.

Question - the leather seats in the 2014 City have perforated (small holes) in the centre of the seat - is there a way to cover this center part of the seat (preferably with a nice fabric) to prevent heat issues + dirt buildup in these holes? The dirt made the seat look ugly in the VX test drive vehicle that i saw :(
Old 14th April 2014, 13:11   #1613
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I feel both the powerplants (petrol and diesel) are just ordinary when it comes to fuel efficiency and not as efficient as the hype buildup around them suggests. 9.5 for petrol and 14 for diesel are pretty ordinary figures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzim View Post
Have been pottering around in the city for the past couple of days, never had the chance to engage 5th or 6th gear, and the dash is showing 15kmpl. Early days I guess, but I don't think this number will improve a lot for in-city driving. I would be very surprised if this number improved by over 30% on the highway.
Quote:
I have no idea how you guys managed to get such amazing figures for city in city driving , but this is the best i could manage in Delhi's bumper to bumper traffic.

I adopted a very sedate driving style and upshifted at about 1800 rpm and rarely went above 2000 rpm , this figure is with AC on 100% of the time.
14kmpl for the diesel City!

I am not sure how you guys are getting such low mileage figures.

My car consistently averages in tune of 20-21kmpl on the MID in Delhi-NCR traffic. I've never seen it drop below 16kmpl over 4000 odd km, even when subjected to very spirited highway running or rock crawling on some super-fantastic roads in MP.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 13:24   #1614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post

My car consistently averages in tune of 20-21kmpl on the MID in Delhi-NCR traffic. I've never seen it drop below 16kmpl over 4000 odd km, even when subjected to very spirited highway running or rock crawling on some super-fantastic roads in MP.
I agree and that's what I posted above as well (URL). I guess that number came from one of the magazine reviews which I also remember reading.

Anyways, what we are finding consistently on the forum when real users report the numbers, the mileage for the Diesel City is a minimum of 16+ kmpl for i-DTEC City. And I can say that this is true in spite of my upgrade from the stock tyres to 195/60 R15 XM2s.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 14th April 2014 at 13:26.
Old 14th April 2014, 14:03   #1615
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
I plan to take the insurance from the Dealer...
If you are interested in saving some more, try to go with a vendor. You might save a handsome figure - may be around 7K after the NCB claim.

Quote:
I agree and that's what I posted above as well (URL). I guess that number came from one of the magazine reviews which I also remember reading...
None of the reviewers drive the cars like an owner would. I believe what they project is usually the worst case FE (which they say is real time FE) that most owners in real time can better, if they have the right driving habits. In a way that's good because we really can understand how much can these go low.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 14th April 2014 at 14:06.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 16:14   #1616
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
True that. I have owned 3 Honda Automatics now and i can tell you that they are fuel guzzlers. My dads accord returns 6.5- 7km/l and my Civic never gave me more than 8 ever !! Honda Autos are a joy to drive and i will buy one any day but i do not believe they deserve all the applause for IVTEC & NEXT GENERATION FUEL EFFICIENT CVT that they demand !
nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 17:36   #1617
BHPian

Quote:
True that. I have owned 3 Honda Automatics now and i can tell you that they are fuel guzzlers. My dads accord returns 6.5- 7km/l and my Civic never gave me more than 8 ever !! Honda Autos are a joy to drive and i will buy one any day but i do not believe they deserve all the applause for IVTEC & NEXT GENERATION FUEL EFFICIENT CVT that they demand !
OT: Strongly disagree. 2006 Civic AT. Never delivered anything below 9kmpl. Ever! In the city it used to give 9-10kmpl. Highway runs a consistent 13-14kmpl and once a whopping 15.5kmpl over a 500km distance. And I am never a slow driver. There is something wrong with your Civic and needs a check up. 6.5-7kmpl is a good number for a 2.2L petrol. Honda cars are extremely fuel efficient. Else your car needs a check up.
Old 14th April 2014, 18:02   #1618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
OT: Strongly disagree. 2006 Civic AT. Never delivered anything below 9kmpl. Ever! In the city it used to give 9-10kmpl. Highway runs a consistent 13-14kmpl and once a whopping 15.5kmpl over a 500km distance. And I am never a slow driver. There is something wrong with your Civic and needs a check up. 6.5-7kmpl is a good number for a 2.2L petrol. Honda cars are extremely fuel efficient. Else your car needs a check up.
I sold the car a year back and it was in brilliant condition even after 6 years. I never got more than 8km/l and i stand by that. Nothing wrong with the tuning of my car. The Accord is a 2.4 L and even then, who wants a car that returns 6.5km/l? I can accept a super fast car to do that, not a family sedan.
Old 14th April 2014, 18:15   #1619
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure what is an ideal measure for this but I can only speak for the i-DTEC Engine. Here is my own scenario: I used to own a Accent CRDi and with it I used to get a FE reading of 12.5 to 13 kmpl in my daily commute to office and back (distance of about 40 km) measured tank full to tank full method.

Under the same conditions and measured tank full to tank full method on the same route I am getting a FE of 18kmpl to 18.5kmpl with the new Diesel City which is an increase of 5.5 kmpl which when we convert to statistics is a 40% increase in fuel efficiency
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post

Okay so this is what i got today , after driving 60% in moderate traffic at constant speeds (NH8 Delhi-Gurgaon) and 40% in pretty high traffic , with AC on 100% of the times , the figure rose from 14.1 to 14.8 , again these are not the kind of conditions i'll be driving the car daily and it would be driven in bumper to bumper traffic almost always and it delivered 14.1 when driven in those conditions.

F.E After today's trip :-

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_3120.jpg

Overall F.E till date :-

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_3119.jpg

Please note that i'm trying my best to extract the most out of my car and i've hardly ever revved it over 2000 rpm and usually upshift in the 1800 rpm range.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Well i'll have to agree with Nik here , we had a civic from 2006-2012 and it averaged at around 9.5 km/l (ours was the manual version) , it was driven only by my dad throughout its time with us and he hardly ever revved it hard , my uncle owned a AT Civic and he reported 8-8.5 for his car always , he sold his sometime in 2013. Both these cars were mostly driven in bumper to bumper traffic in Delhi.
Old 14th April 2014, 18:56   #1620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Okay so this is what i got today , after driving 60% in moderate traffic at constant speeds (NH8 Delhi-Gurgaon) and 40% in pretty high traffic , with AC on 100% of the times , the figure rose from 14.1 to 14.8 , again these are not the kind of conditions i'll be driving the car daily and it would be driven in bumper to bumper traffic almost always and it delivered 14.1 when driven in those conditions.
Interesting, that is in fact the lowest we have heard on this Forum for the Diesel City. Did you upgrade tyres and to what spec? You may want to report the low mileage during the first service.

Quote:
Well i'll have to agree with Nik here , we had a civic from 2006-2012 and it averaged at around 9.5 km/l (ours was the manual version) , it was driven only by my dad throughout its time with us and he hardly ever revved it hard , my uncle owned a AT Civic and he reported 8-8.5 for his car always , he sold his sometime in 2013. Both these cars were mostly driven in bumper to bumper traffic in Delhi.
I guess the confusion is only w.r.t. to the FE figures for the diesel. Everyone has consistently reported lower numbers for the i-VTEC

Most Viewed