Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2014, 11:36   #1771
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
I was in exactly the same boat as you... I had a 2010 SX4 ZXI running 1200km per month in Mumbai. Totally agreed that it had set high expectations but I went on the hunt since it had to be changed.

I TD'd all competing cars but none came close to the SX4 in terms of most factors. However, I saw the City during launch and booked the petrol version (without driving).

GC isn't an issue yet on the pathetic Mumbai roads, but you will have to curb the trucking instincts which comes naturally with the SX4... the car is way more silent than the SX4 and only makes noise when you rev it up (that's not noise, that's music!).

Finally, I went for the V-MT over the VX-MT as I didn't want to pay Rs 1.5 lacs extra for leather seats, start button, leather seats, etc. The V version is good with the reverse camera, alloys, retractable mirrors, etc. If it came with CVT, I might have considered it, but I wasn't willing to pay Rs 2.5 lacs extra by going from V-MT to VX-CVT.

If you need any further info, you can PM me.
Now seriously considering the Honda City V Diesel as the Ecosport boot size left all in the family disappointed. Why did you for the petrol version with such a high running per month? Would the diesel not have been better?
Do you recommend the diesel version of the car over SX4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
The 2014 Honda City does not have any GC Problems - Honda has made the suspension stiffer. Given that your needs include highway driving regularly, an upsize of tyres would be recommended to 195/60R15 which will further increase the GC by another 3-4 mm.

If you are moving from a Petrol car then the noise may bother you for sometime. I moved from a 3 cylinder diesel and did not have anything to complain about.

That depends on what you prefer: the VX will provide you a Sun Roof, leather upholstery + leather wrap for Steering wheel, Button Start and remote trunk opener as extra. I went in for the V and I am happy with the car.

Agreed the the ride is stiff at low speeds and we do get the feedback inside quite a bit. Again, I guess this has been done to overcome the low GC problem. Mileage appears to be decent for the tyres that you have gone for and the upgraded Rim.
I think the V version is better, dont need sunroof and start button.
Is the stiff ride quality issue very serious? How would the ride quality compare with SX4?

Is an upgrade of tyres recommended? To what size and which make? Last year I changed my SX4 tyres to Michellin and very happy with these. Would everyone recommend the same brand for Honda City Diesel too? My highway running is about 600-900km a month. Balance 600-900 in small town with not the best road conditions. Once in a year or two we take a road trip with full load of passengers and baggage.
Old 28th April 2014, 12:06   #1772
Senior - BHPian

Honda City Mugen edition unveiled in Philippines, which wil be launched in 3rd quarter of 2014. Company's Statement:

Quote:
While the initial launch will only feature cosmetic changes, Honda says that interior, suspension and engine upgrades will follow soon.
The car comes in taffeta white colour, & features the traditional Mugen tri-colour (red, gold & black) paint-scheme/ decal along the left-rear C-pillar, the right-front A-pillar & across the top of the front windshield. It also gets a black front grill with the Mugen logo instead of Honda’s, 17-inch 8-spoke alloy wheels finished in black, a boot-lip spoiler & full body skirts with door mirrors finished in carbon fibre.

Honda says that after the launch, the car will be available in other countries also . Honda, please bring this in India as well .

Moe details & pics here (courtesy ODI):

http://overdrive.in/news/honda-phili...mugen-edition/
Old 28th April 2014, 12:34   #1773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
Is the stiff ride quality issue very serious? How would the ride quality compare with SX4?
Yes, the V is the one which provides all the essential features. The VX provides some more "nice to have" features. The ride quality comes into picture mainly over speed breakers. In order to ensure the bottom of the car does not scrape against these, Honda has made the suspension stiffer. This is actually the reason why there is no GC issue with the new city in the first place. Otherwise on normal driving I don't see any issues but when you go over speed breakers are over an undulated surface some of these can be felt inside. In my opinion, this is not a dealbreaker and you can drive confidently in bad roads without worrying about the car scraping the bottom!

Quote:
Is an upgrade of tyres recommended? To what size and which make? Last year I changed my SX4 tyres to Michellin and very happy with these. Would everyone recommend the same brand for Honda City Diesel too? My highway running is about 600-900km a month. Balance 600-900 in small town with not the best road conditions. Once in a year or two we take a road trip with full load of passengers and baggage.
Yes, the tyre upgrades are highly recommended. As you have called out, the Michelins are best bet. The recommendation is to upgrade to 195/60R15 size of the XM2 or the Primacy 3ST

For more details you can head my ownership report of the V Diesel: URL

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 28th April 2014 at 12:36.
Old 28th April 2014, 12:56   #1774
BHPian

Sedate driving on a highway, with speeds between 70 and 90 kmph, got an average of 27.7 kmpl for the first 35 kms on the iDTEC. Fabulous mileage for the highway.
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-wp_001167.jpg  

vista_qjd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 14:48   #1775
BHPian

Got delivery of my White iDtec VX on sunday.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_5364.jpg

Changes the rims to the 15" 6.5J Borbet RS rims.
Tyres were replaced by Continental CPC2 205/55-R15.
Stock MRF got me a buyback of Rs. 3000 per tyre.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_5370.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_5371.jpg

Tried a friends 16" 7J Magline Forged rims on my car as well. Those were shodded with Yokohama A-Drive R1 205/50-R16.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_5378.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_5382.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_5383.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_5385.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_5388.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_5389.jpg

I wanted to go for 16", but lack of tyre options made me stick to 15". Getting 17" would have meant much lower profile and harsh ride.

Debadged the car as well. Leaving only the honda logo.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_5391.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_5390.jpg

The accessories I got from the dealership:
1. Front Grille
2. Side rain visors
3. Illuminated door sill plates
4. Sporty pedals
5. Foot light
SumitBahl is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 16:25   #1776
BHPian

Quote:
Now seriously considering the Honda City V Diesel as the Ecosport boot size left all in the family disappointed. Why did you for the petrol version with such a high running per month? Would the diesel not have been better?
Do you recommend the diesel version of the car over SX4?

1. The reason I didn't go for the Diesel version is purely for driving pleasure. And some back of the envelope calculation told me that the total difference might be only around Rs 50k over 4-5 years (at my running levels, i.e. 1000-1200km/month) which also might just break even with the maintenance and resale value kicked in.

2. The suspension is quite stiff. There are times on the dirty roads I prefer my Dzire over the City and same will be the case with the SX4 vs the City. However, all you need is one round of the Expressway or the Sea Link where the stiff suspension totally justifies itself. Overall, it's a trade-off you will have to make...
Old 28th April 2014, 16:53   #1777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
1. The reason I didn't go for the Diesel version is purely for driving pleasure. And some back of the envelope calculation told me that the total difference might be only around Rs 50k over 4-5 years (at my running levels, i.e. 1000-1200km/month) which also might just break even with the maintenance and resale value kicked in.
Here diesel fetches ATLEAST 2L more than a petrol variant in resale, and is much easier to sell.
Old 28th April 2014, 17:51   #1778
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post

Changes the rims to the 15" 6.5J Borbet RS rims....

1. Front Grille
2. Side rain visors
4. Sporty pedals
5. Foot light
I think your's is the first one on the forum with the split grill. Congrats! The Borbet rims are hot! And I hope you take extra care at the fuel pumps with NO badges around the car.
Old 28th April 2014, 22:06   #1779
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations Sumit. Wishing you loads of happy miles with the new possession.

The grill does look nice and so does the alloys. Nice choice . Do share the ride quality with these tyres as well?
Old 28th April 2014, 23:03   #1780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I think your's is the first one on the forum with the split grill. Congrats! The Borbet rims are hot! And I hope you take extra care at the fuel pumps with NO badges around the car.
Thanks. I do have to be careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
Congratulations Sumit. Wishing you loads of happy miles with the new possession.

The grill does look nice and so does the alloys. Nice choice . Do share the ride quality with these tyres as well?
Thanks Neel.
I have used CPC2 on my Punto earlier and they are really nice.
Grip levels are very good (much better than Yokos, Bridgestone etc) and they are silent (very close to michelin).
Not much effect on steering as well.

Borbet rims are superlight.
Stock rims + stock MRF is atleast 1.5 times heavier than my current combo.

I have retained the stock rims.

Last edited by SumitBahl : 28th April 2014 at 23:06.
Old 28th April 2014, 23:47   #1781
BHPian

Quote:

Changes the rims to the 15" 6.5J Borbet RS rims.
Tyres were replaced by Continental CPC2 205/55-R15.
Stock MRF got me a buyback of Rs. 3000 per tyre.

1. Front Grille
2. Side rain visors
4. Sporty pedals
5. Foot light
Congrats on your purchase , the car looks excellent in white , no wonder why white and silver are the most popular colors in this car.The rain visors improve the looks from the side as well , i'll get them installed too.

The alloys you got look really good but i prefer your friend's 16 inchers , i agree on the lack of tyre options bit , but i loved the 16 inch rims way too much for anything else to come in my way , i got the same tyres as your friend's (Yokohama R1s) , so far i'm pretty satisfied with the tyres , they are not very noisy and the grip levels are good too.

Lastly do let us know the mileage figures for your car , i'm getting about 14.5 with the 205 section tyres , other bhpians report a figure of 16+ in bumper to bumper city traffic.

Quote:
Here diesel fetches ATLEAST 2L more than a petrol variant in resale, and is much easier to sell.
One of the many reasons to go for a diesel engine in today's time , people only consider the running costs bit but there is a huge difference (as of today) in the resale value too which offsets all the other calculations and totally justifies the premium paid.
Old 29th April 2014, 01:45   #1782
BHPian

Is there any possibility to get hold of a soft copy of the 2014 diesel City owner's manual? I googled but failed to get one.
Old 29th April 2014, 13:31   #1783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
Congrats on your purchase , the car looks excellent in white , no wonder why white and silver are the most popular colors in this car.The rain visors improve the looks from the side as well , i'll get them installed too.
Thanks.

Quote:
The alloys you got look really good but i prefer your friend's 16 inchers , i agree on the lack of tyre options bit , but i loved the 16 inch rims way too much for anything else to come in my way , i got the same tyres as your friend's (Yokohama R1s) , so far i'm pretty satisfied with the tyres , they are not very noisy and the grip levels are good too.
I have driven the jazz with R1 on highway. R1s will become really noisy after a while, same with S-Drive. You are right, 16" definitely looks better. With raised back and huge wheel arch, the car actually deserves 17".

Quote:
Lastly do let us know the mileage figures for your car , i'm getting about 14.5 with the 205 section tyres , other bhpians report a figure of 16+ in bumper to bumper city traffic.
I will post the figures after the next tank full.

Quote:
One of the many reasons to go for a diesel engine in today's time , people only consider the running costs bit but there is a huge difference (as of today) in the resale value too which offsets all the other calculations and totally justifies the premium paid.
You are absolutely right.
Old 29th April 2014, 14:20   #1784
BHPian

I had been to 2 showrooms yesterday to TD the City iVtec. Honda showrooms are pathetic when it comes to customer focus. First went to Lavelle Road DH to drive the iVtec after confirming that they have a TD vehicle. On reaching the showroom, we had to walk around for 5 minutes and had to ask almost all the staff there to just get someone to come and speak to us about the City. Pathetic! Once we got the right person to speak to us, he says there is no TD vehicle despite having this fact confirmed just before we left the house. All this in a showroom as stuffy as a tin shed on a hot sunny day. No A/c and the place has this dingy musty rubbery plasticy smell.

Disappointed, we went to the one on Hosur Road. Again, called to confirm availability of TD vehicle. The receptionist said she will transfer the call to the right person who will call us in 5 mins. 30 mins later and still no call. We had to call again and hold for 5 minutes till they got the right person on the phone. Again, this person confirmed they have a iVtec TD car. We told them we;'ll be there in 10 mins and would like to TD the vehicle right away. 10 minutes later, we're at the showroom and we're told the TD car is not available. How pathetic is this ? There is no "feedback" form either on the showroom floor. This place too - no A/c and its hot as hell in there! We're sweating it out like we had been on a 40 min jog on a hot sunny day! Honda needs to concentrate on getting its showroom staff trained first. When someone's ready to shell out 12L for a car, the first thing they would expect is some courtesy and some attention.

Honda should learn a lot of how Maruti and Hyundai treats its walk-in customers! 5 minutes after entering the cool airy showroom, we're sipping sweet lemon-tea (after being served chilled water - a welcome gesture in this hot summer) and discussing the various variants of the cars they have with the SA.

Note to Mods: Although not related to the actual car in question, I added this post to make fellow BHP-ians aware of how shoddily Honda treats its (prospective) customers who wish to buy the New 2014 Honda City. Hope this is not too "off-topic".
Old 29th April 2014, 15:16   #1785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good Point! Totally agree with that statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
Honda should learn a lot of how Maruti and Hyundai treats its walk-in customers! 5 minutes after entering the cool airy showroom, we're sipping sweet lemon-tea (after being served chilled water - a welcome gesture in this hot summer) and discussing the various variants of the cars they have with the SA.
Yes, agree with your observations - they are nowhere near Maruti or Hyundai. I would recommend you visit Magnum Honda on Kanakapura Road near Metro Cash & Carry - I felt they were better in most aspects.

Most Viewed