Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2014, 12:23   #1996
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
Thanks. Mine's the same way as your pictures. I am only worried about the monsoons where the carpet on the vertical section on the door sides are exposed. They might get spoilt while getting in or out of the car on muddy patches of roads.

So ideally there really is no requirement for a carpet lamination after having the 3M nomad mats right?
Can you share some pictures with the markings so I understand which area you are talking about?

My only concern is the hump on the front side seats which is already getting dirty.
Images of the same on this post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3419452
Old 4th June 2014, 12:26   #1997

Hi There,

I have started experiencing exactly the same issue since this morning. I too opened the hood & checked, the sound is indeed coming from the Alternator belt area.

My City (SV-MT Petrol) is just 12 days old & done 700+ Kms. Its very disappointing to face such issues so early in my ownership experience.

Never Expected this from a Honda. I had very high quality expectations, its hugely disappointing.

Kindly let me know a sure shot way to get this issue fixed. I'm planning to visit the service center this evening. (Magnum Honda, Kanakpura Road).

Thanks,
Karthik

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post
Hello Ranjith / Jediknight,

Considering both the cars are new I don't think its an issue with the belt as such. There is a possibility that the belt is not fitted properly or the noise is from the related bearing.

I see that Jediknight got the belt replaced and still the problem persists , so my suspicion is more towards the bearing.

cheers,
pdma.
pkarthik106 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2014, 12:34   #1998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsharma2008 View Post
Is that a typo error? VX Diesel OTR price in Mumbai is Rs. 13.5 lakh odd.
Yes a typo, thanks for pointing out. Should be V only. Will correct in original post if possible
jesrani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2014, 13:58   #1999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
Can you share some pictures with the markings so I understand which area you are talking about?

My only concern is the hump on the front side seats which is already getting dirty.
Images of the same on this post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3419452
Here is a picture of the Driver side seat floor. Ignore the 3D mats, as I was just trying them out before I went on to purchase the 3M Nomad Mats.

The hump below the seat like you mentioned in your post as per the link provided (Although I don't put my foot on that anytime) and the vertical carpet on the sides of the Gear Lever area (or whatever its called).

Also, the mats seems to slip a little towards the left sometimes leaving a gap open and exposing the carpet near the door. I need to readjust the mats say once in 15-20 days to cover the carpet properly. Is that normal?
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20140504_170612_resize.jpg  

tejas08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2014, 14:52   #2000
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Ranjith / Jediknight,

I see that Jediknight got the belt replaced and still the problem persists , so my suspicion is more towards the bearing....

cheers,
pdma.
I think bhpian feroz_009 had got his ilder pulley bearing changed and he still gets the sound. At the moment nobody really seems to know the root cause. May be pulley misalignment or a poor quality belt. Or may be it is "normal" sound the belt produces when the engine bay gets hot. It would be good if Honda root caused this considering number of people facing this issue.
Old 5th June 2014, 04:14   #2001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkarthik106 View Post
Hi There,

I have started experiencing exactly the same issue since this morning. I too opened the hood & checked, the sound is indeed coming from the Alternator belt area.Karthik
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
I think bhpian feroz_009 had got his ilder pulley bearing changed and he still gets the sound.
Honda should wake up now as this problem seemes to be most common on all the new cars. May be one of the owners can write up to Honda and point them to this forum to see the number of people complaining about this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjit.Shetty View Post
Guess what, noise reduced after about 5 drops of water and it completely went quite after about 10 drops of water.
Hello Ranjith,

Kindly let us know if the issue resurfaced after this possible workaround you performed .

Also I found a thread related to this topic, honestly I did not go through it completely but Iam sure we would find more information here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...placement.html

cheers,
pdma.
Old 5th June 2014, 08:54   #2002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
Here is a picture of the Driver side seat floor. Ignore the 3D mats, as I was just trying them out before I went on to purchase the 3M Nomad Mats.

The hump below the seat like you mentioned in your post as per the link provided (Although I don't put my foot on that anytime) and the vertical carpet on the sides of the Gear Lever area (or whatever its called).

Also, the mats seems to slip a little towards the left sometimes leaving a gap open and exposing the carpet near the door. I need to readjust the mats say once in 15-20 days to cover the carpet properly. Is that normal?
Do not worry too much of the sides if you believe you are not going to rest your foot there. with 3M Nomad mats you can always ask them to customise a bit but they may not be able to cover the full sides as it'll start folding.

The mats moving a bit in the one Honda provides might be normal. However, I believe they have a locking mechanism for the driver side mats.

The 3d mats normally come with velcro so it should stay in place.

The 3M mats can move a bit as they do not come with velcro underneath but once a week I just pull them a bit to cover the sides. It's been more than 2 months since I got Nomad mats installed and I'm really happy with them. My carpet stays clean and just need some light vacium underneath once in 2 weeks. I have 2 small kids so you can imagine

Quote:
Honda should wake up now as this problem seems to be most common on all the new cars. May be one of the owners can write up to Honda and point them to this forum to see the number of people complaining about this issue.
I wish they had a proper escalation channel. Also, if you are getting the sound, please do take it to dealer immediately so they can feel the same. This way at least they can report back to Honda

Quote:
Also I found a thread related to this topic, honestly I did not go through it completely but Iam sure we would find more information here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...placement.html
These are different issues. I had the above mentioned problem on my i10 and it required a replacement of alternator belt (wear and tear). After replacement also, the sound continued (though minimal) and they had to adjust the same.

The one I used to have on my Honda was more like someone is sharpening a knife on those wheel machines and it stays as it is. I haven't noticed the same so far after they lubricated the alternator belt during my first service but I continue to keep a close watch on the same.
neel911 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 13:47   #2003

Hi,

I raised this topic in the thread before

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3442240

I raised a stinker with Honda last week and they called within 12 hours to check on it.

I have the problem of "dynamo belt" noise and also knocking noise in the engine. The belt noise disappeared when some spray was done at the service centre but it came back in a few days.

The latest update I got today is that this problem is also seen in other cars. They are shipping the part to Bangalore to be replaced.

Well, after seeing this thread, I realize that it is not only me with this problem. It is awfully frustrating to see this quality problem in Honda. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...rustration.gif

The knocking noise makes my car sound like a diesel engine around 2000 rpm. It is very evident at cold start and also at gradients. I drive to work early and since it is silent then, it is very obvious. The noise seems to get less evident when engine gets heated but surely the noise is there. I have told the Honda guys not to make up stories that such a noise is not a concern and it is expected.

The Magnum service head at Kanakapura Road is yet to take an appointment and investigate it thoroughly but looks like they have isolated to some part. It will be interesting to know what this part is. I will get it from the Magnum guys and update the thread.

My biggest concern is the engine knocking noise. The quality manager said the part will fix both the problems but I am hoping it is not a serious engine issue with any long term implications.

Thanks
//Shekar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkarthik106 View Post
Hi There,

I have started experiencing exactly the same issue since this morning. I too opened the hood & checked, the sound is indeed coming from the Alternator belt area.

My City (SV-MT Petrol) is just 12 days old & done 700+ Kms. Its very disappointing to face such issues so early in my ownership experience.

Never Expected this from a Honda. I had very high quality expectations, its hugely disappointing.

Kindly let me know a sure shot way to get this issue fixed. I'm planning to visit the service center this evening. (Magnum Honda, Kanakpura Road).

Thanks,
Karthik
shch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 14:40   #2004
BHPian

Wow !! So my membership has been approved and i can finally post something to a thread which i have been following religiously for the past two months.
Well i got the delivery of my UT SV MT iVTEC on 21st May from Whitefield Honda Bangalore. The car came with Bridgestones and i am still continuing with the stocks. Got the teflon + nomad mats + under body anti rust treatment package from 3M for 12k. Till now i have completed around 350 KMs in Bangalore's traffic and my FE is hovering around 13-14 KMpl.
However there was one small incident on the first day itself. After reaching home we noticed something fell off from the car. On closer inspection i found that it was the back license plate light lens/cover. I was shocked to see that it is glued to its place by double tapes.

Cheers,
Cap'n Cook
CapnCook is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 19:44   #2005
Distinguished - BHPian

OK guys. Took my iDTEC for a short and sweet trip to Mumbai. Covered almost 3000km in three days.

A short summary of some good and not so good aspects of the car that were observed.
  • Engine is more than powerful enough for sustained highway driving without any strain being put on the driver. The ready torque is a boon. Refinement up front is darn good.
  • Gearbox is becoming smoother by the day. It is still not butter smooth but it is getting there. Experience tells me that Honda gearboxes fully free up only after a good 10-15k km. Seems we are well on track.
  • Super comfy front seats. The slightly soft seat compound actually works brilliantly. 20 hours on the wheel in one go and I was game for more.
  • Balanced ride and handling with precious little body roll. I was happy behind the wheel. Dad was happy in the back seat. 'nough said.
  • AC is a chiller. It kept the cabin at 25degrees even when the indicated outside temperature soared to 49 degrees.
  • I was afraid the horn would prove inadequate. I was right. It was hopelessly outgunned. Upgrade on the way.
  • I have been hugely critical of the head lights, esp the high beam. 3 back to back nights on the wheel proved my criticism misplaced. The optics create a diffused beam and light up a large area up front(like in a BMW), unlike the parallel focused spot beam of the high beam of something like the Scorpio. It takes getting used to but soon enough, you realize this actually makes sense. I was never this comfortable at night in my Scorpio which runs 135/175W Osrams. Note that I am using 55/60 Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited in the City's high beam(low beam is stock), hence the observations are subjective.
  • The vehicle is very efficient normally and ridiculously efficient if you drive well. A relaxed cruise out of Mumbai meant I could get to Valsad in less than Rs 500 worth diesel. That is about Rs 2.5/km and roughly translates to 26kmpl!! Overall, I got an indicated 21.1kmpl.
  • I'd rate the back seat as actually better than that of a Jaguar XF which I took to the hills a couple of weeks back. This is in terms of space, seat comfort, cushioning and bench height for 2 passengers. Full marks here.
  • Refinement at the back should have been better. A fair bit of road noise filters through. The boot acts as an amplifier, it should have been padded better.
  • The cushion of the back of the rear seat makes a squeaking noise whenever it gets pressed. This becomes very prominent on slightly bumpy surfaces, especially when two people are sitting. Need to get this looked into.
  • The music system which sounds really good up front sounds strictly average at the back. Its as if they forgot to put speakers behinds the B pillar. Bass as well as loudness drop significantly but the clarity remains good.
  • Brakes are adequate but not what you will call re-assuring. Maybe its the stock Michelin tires. For comparison's sake, my Jazz on worn Goodyear GT3 tires and 45k km old pads and shoes provides much better retardation.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 5th June 2014 at 20:08.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 22:16   #2006

The quality manager at Magnum did not know the part name. He said he has order the belt and also "idle bolt". He was not sure of the part name... he said Idle bolt / idle valve bolt.

Experts, please chip in with any inputs on this.

I am trying to record the noise while in transit. let me see if I succeed in that

Quote:
Originally Posted by shch View Post
Hi,

I raised this topic in the thread before

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3442240

I raised a stinker with Honda last week and they called within 12 hours to check on it.

I have the problem of "dynamo belt" noise and also knocking noise in the engine. The belt noise disappeared when some spray was done at the service centre but it came back in a few days.

The latest update I got today is that this problem is also seen in other cars. They are shipping the part to Bangalore to be replaced.

Well, after seeing this thread, I realize that it is not only me with this problem. It is awfully frustrating to see this quality problem in Honda. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...rustration.gif

The knocking noise makes my car sound like a diesel engine around 2000 rpm. It is very evident at cold start and also at gradients. I drive to work early and since it is silent then, it is very obvious. The noise seems to get less evident when engine gets heated but surely the noise is there. I have told the Honda guys not to make up stories that such a noise is not a concern and it is expected.

The Magnum service head at Kanakapura Road is yet to take an appointment and investigate it thoroughly but looks like they have isolated to some part. It will be interesting to know what this part is. I will get it from the Magnum guys and update the thread.

My biggest concern is the engine knocking noise. The quality manager said the part will fix both the problems but I am hoping it is not a serious engine issue with any long term implications.

Thanks
//Shekar
Old 5th June 2014, 23:24   #2007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
OK guys. Took my iDTEC for a short and sweet trip to Mumbai. Covered almost 3000km in three days.

A short summary of some good and not so good aspects of the car that were observed.
A very good summary, useful and interesting.

Quote:
  • AC is a chiller. It kept the cabin at 25degrees even when the indicated outside temperature soared to 49 degrees.
Glad to note that. There were some differing opinions in this forum

Quote:
  • I was afraid the horn would prove inadequate. I was right. It was hopelessly outgunned. Upgrade on the way.
What are your upgrade plans & how much will it cost? Where will you install the new horns in the car? Will you retain the old ones? Pls share more info and pics once the job is done.

Quote:
  • I have been hugely critical of the head lights, esp the high beam. 3 back to back nights on the wheel proved my criticism misplaced. The optics create a diffused beam and light up a large area up front(like in a BMW), unlike the parallel focused spot beam of the high beam of something like the Scorpio. It takes getting used to but soon enough, you realize this actually makes sense. I was never this comfortable at night in my Scorpio which runs 135/175W Osrams. Note that I am using 55/60 Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited in the City's high beam(low beam is stock), hence the observations are subjective.
Can you share some more info on this pls.
I am asking these questions because 3 of the most important things I need in a car are good brakes, good lights and good horns. I usually upgrade horns & lights whenever I buy a new car.
Old 6th June 2014, 03:11   #2008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shch View Post
The quality manager at Magnum did not know the part name. He said he has order the belt and also "idle bolt". He was not sure of the part name... he said Idle bolt / idle valve bolt.

Hello shch,

It should be the Idler also known as tensioner which keeps the belt in place. Yes this component can also be responsible for the noise , but looks like Honda is going in a Trail and error mode to fix it rather than looking at a broader picture , particularly when so many people are raising the same concern.Please keep us updated on the status after the part is changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Wow Shreyans that was one crazy driving schedule for 3 days. Thanks for the write up as well.The squeaking sound from the seat is quite irritating specially when everything else is quite in the cabin it feels as if a mouse is traveling with you.
Any suggestions from anyone how can we silence this noise as I have observed this in some other cars from different manufacturers as well.

cheers,
pdma.
Old 6th June 2014, 10:14   #2009
BHPian

Booked a Golden Brown VXMT Diesel yesterday at Arya Honda, Mumbai. Tentative Delivery schedule is 16-20 weeks for the VX variant.

Highly impressed with the level of professionalism at the Dealer Arya Honda, Prabhadevi
  • I was offered ample test drives for all the variants i.e. Diesel and Petrol that too at my doorstep.
  • The sales pitch was never a hurried one which made a huge difference in the experience.
  • All the features of the car were explained in detail
  • They did a thorough KYC (Know your client) of myself at the time of booking the car which was surprising since i haven't seen this in any of my past purchases i.e 1 Maruti, 2 Hyundais, Royal Enfield and Yamaha each
  • Since the car demands a healthy waiting period, the overall allotment process was explained to me along with a disclaimer that car prices can change within the waiting period. The said booking amount was taken as 100% refundable.
  • Cash wasn't accepted as booking amount citing that they dont accept cash payments above Rs. 20k
  • The Sales consultant also shared a few examples of a few buyers who were ready to pay under the table for a speedy delivery but were flatly refused. He also added that they even had pressure from politicians for immediate delivery but they followed the default allotment process.
  • As compared to another dealer at Sion, this dealership looked far more ethical. The other dealer was also ready to arrange an Octroi-less passing for a small amount which was refused politely by Arya Honda citing its illegal. Also there was a difference of Rs. 5k for Honda Assure at these two dealers. (no prizes for guessing which was cheaper). In addition to this, the other dealer had a relatively longer wait time for this variant.
  • Only gripe is he didnt offer me any sort of discount or freebies with the car although he said that he will try his level best.
Disclaimer: This is a corporate purchase but it wasn't disclosed to the sales consultant till the booking form was discussed.

Lastly noticed that the ARAI mileage figures across variants is different. The VX Diesel is rated at 25.1 kmpl vs 26 kmpl for the E, S, SV & V Variants. Any reasons why? (the weight difference seems negligible)

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20140606_093214329.jpg
rahulsharma2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 10:51   #2010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsharma2008 View Post
Booked a Golden Brown VXMT Diesel yesterday at Arya Honda, Mumbai. Tentative Delivery schedule is 16-20 weeks for the VX variant.

Highly impressed with the level of professionalism at the Dealer Arya Honda, Prabhadevi
Congrats Rahul. Nice choice. Golden Brown is a really good choice. I would have gone ahead for that but for the fact that it tends to look black in any other place than the sun, which my wife did not really like.

With regards to Arya Honda, certainly they are very professional and sincere but the allotment can be kind of tricky. As i posted some time back they had asked me to make the full payment without even the car being despatched from the factory saying that it will be delivered with 2-3 weeks. When I asked for allotment, they said allotment is only done after full payment is made. I said thats not the way it works and the SA & the TL both tried to convince me saying that Arya Honda has changed the rules because people don't get their finances ready in time and the car keeps lying in the stockyard.

So I ended up asking them "It means that you will allot the car to the person who makes the full payment and not by the booking order" and they could never give me a convincing reply.

All this was in their Bhandup Showroom. But having said that I don't fuss much on that because they had given me a waiting period of 6-8 weeks initially itself and ended up delivering the vehicle in about 5 days over 8 weeks.

Was it because of Corporate registration that you went to Prabhadevi Dealership of Arya, because Bhandup dealership would have been near to you as you stay in Mulund.

With regards to FE, I too feel its a little odd if you compare the petrol and diesel variants. In petrol, its says 17.8 only for E and 17.4 for all others whereas in Diesel its 26 for E to V and 25.1 only for VX. The weight difference, even if it did make a difference to the FE, should be uniform on Petrol and Diesel as it is the same 40 Kgs difference between base and top end City.

Last edited by tejas08 : 6th June 2014 at 10:56. Reason: Added some more details.
tejas08 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed