Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2014, 14:01   #2011
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Many Thanks Tejas. Just because the Golden Brown colour looks black from many angles, I decided to opt for this colour.

The sales consultant indeed explained me the allotment process so I think I can clear your doubt. There is a general waiting list and there is a clearance date in the process. Clearance date is once every month on which they decide which customers are entitled to receive their cars as per their pool of dispatched cars that they will receive. As of now, I am the 51st person who is in line for VX variant at Mumbai level for the dealer. Say in a particular clearance, I am entitled to a receive a car, I will be in another mini-waiting list for that month based on my readiness of funds and variant ordered. Suppose I dont have necessary funds at the time of allotment (loan formalities etc), then they will move to next clearance date where I will get top priority. So nowhere in the process, you are taken for a ride.

They need 6 days for the vehicle to reach their yard from factory and another 4 working days for the registration. Hence they ask for funds 2 weeks prior. Allotment is done as soon as they have dispatch order from Company date of which is the same date as Clearance Date for the dealer.

I hope I have clarified your doubts.

I chose Prabhadevi showroom because it is quite close to my office at Worli and they have got some really proactive sales guys at this place

Difference in mileage figures is strange indeed.

Lastly, will like to meet you someday and share some T-BHP experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
Congrats Rahul. Nice choice. Golden Brown is a really good choice. I would have gone ahead for that but for the fact that it tends to look black in any other place than the sun, which my wife did not really like.

With regards to Arya Honda, certainly they are very professional and sincere but the allotment can be kind of tricky. As i posted some time back they had asked me to make the full payment without even the car being despatched from the factory saying that it will be delivered with 2-3 weeks. When I asked for allotment, they said allotment is only done after full payment is made. I said thats not the way it works and the SA & the TL both tried to convince me saying that Arya Honda has changed the rules because people don't get their finances ready in time and the car keeps lying in the stockyard.

So I ended up asking them "It means that you will allot the car to the person who makes the full payment and not by the booking order" and they could never give me a convincing reply.

All this was in their Bhandup Showroom. But having said that I don't fuss much on that because they had given me a waiting period of 6-8 weeks initially itself and ended up delivering the vehicle in about 5 days over 8 weeks.

Was it because of Corporate registration that you went to Prabhadevi Dealership of Arya, because Bhandup dealership would have been near to you as you stay in Mulund.

With regards to FE, I too feel its a little odd if you compare the petrol and diesel variants. In petrol, its says 17.8 only for E and 17.4 for all others whereas in Diesel its 26 for E to V and 25.1 only for VX. The weight difference, even if it did make a difference to the FE, should be uniform on Petrol and Diesel as it is the same 40 Kgs difference between base and top end City.

Last edited by rahulsharma2008 : 6th June 2014 at 14:05.
rahulsharma2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 14:18   #2012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsharma2008 View Post
The sales consultant indeed explained me the allotment process so I think I can clear your doubt. There is a general waiting list and there is a clearance date in the process. Clearance date is once every month on which they decide which customers are entitled to receive their cars as per their pool of dispatched cars that they will receive. As of now, I am the 51st person who is in line for VX variant at Mumbai level for the dealer. Say in a particular clearance, I am entitled to a receive a car, I will be in another mini-waiting list for that month based on my readiness of funds and variant ordered. Suppose I dont have necessary funds at the time of allotment (loan formalities etc), then they will move to next clearance date where I will get top priority. So nowhere in the process, you are taken for a ride.
Agree on the process. But then the time I was being asked to make the payment was March-end - Financial year closing. So they probably wanted as much as payments that they could receive before 31-Mar-2014.

Look at the attached form they wanted me to sign while making the whole payment. That's why I said that these guys were actually trying to outsmart buyers in making the full payment without even having the confirmation of the vehicle being despatched from the factory. Just for through the terms and conditions and you will understand what I am saying.

When a car is getting despatched they will ask you to make the full payment, but generally a dealer won't ask you to sign such document. Because, the moment you make the payment they need to give you an allotment with the VIN number and other stuff. Then why such a declaration.
Attached Files
File Type: doc New City Petrol Undertaking (Individual).doc (13.5 KB, 491 views)

Last edited by tejas08 : 6th June 2014 at 14:22.
tejas08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 14:31   #2013
BHPian

Hi all, last Wednesday I took delivery of my silver city SVT from sundaram honda coimbatore. Delivery process was smooth n the only glitch was non availability of honda cut mat. My car came with bridge-stones n I have upgraded (all 5 tyres) to XM2 n paid 10.5k for it.
Till now my oddo reading is at 400km n the avg is 14.5km/l(MID figure).Im pleased with the average. I used cruising mode at few times n loving it especially the + n - buttons through which we can increase the speed while cruising.
Old 6th June 2014, 14:35   #2014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
  • Engine is more than powerful enough for sustained highway driving without any strain being put on the driver. The ready torque is a boon. Refinement up front is darn good.
  • Super comfy front seats. The slightly soft seat compound actually works brilliantly. 20 hours on the wheel in one go and I was game for more.
  • I'd rate the back seat as actually better than that of a Jaguar XF which I took to the hills a couple of weeks back. This is in terms of space, seat comfort, cushioning and bench height for 2 passengers. Full marks here.
Wow!! That makes a great reading for City Owners. Its an icing on the cake to know that it beats XF on backseat comfort. Stunning. Thanks for your sharing. Very useful
Old 6th June 2014, 15:13   #2015
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilagdr View Post
What are your upgrade plans & how much will it cost? Where will you install the new horns in the car? Will you retain the old ones? Pls share more info and pics once the job is done.

Can you share some more info on this pls.
I am asking these questions because 3 of the most important things I need in a car are good brakes, good lights and good horns. I usually upgrade horns & lights whenever I buy a new car.

I also believe in having the best lights and horns I can afford and the car can take. The horn part needs some study. I will definately be installing something new in place of what is stock. However, I do not intend to have any dedicated wiring or relays as I do not want any issues to crop up with the extended warranty. I normally use Roots Windtone or Vibrasonic horns with relay, but that cant be done here. So, lets see.

As for lights, the key thing is that the City uses the rare HB3 (9005) type bulbs for the high beam and H11 for the low beam and fogs. Its not the usual H4/H7 setup. In addition, the size of the headlamp housing is small, so you risk blackening and melting of plastic if you blindly use high wattage bulbs. Hence you either break your bank and your warranty coverage and go for HIDs and projectors. Else, you find the best bulbs of the stock wattage and work out an acceptable compromise.

I chose the latter option. I was mainly concerned about the high beam, given that I am used to the 'turn night into day' 135/175W setup of my Scorpio. I had a pair of the top-of-the-line Nightbreaker Unlimited imported from www.powerbulbs.com for GBP 35. It was a straightforward and hassle free purchase and I received them within a week. Installation was a 5 minute DIY. Initially I was not really thrilled with them. While there was a definite improvement in illumination, it was not as much as what I expected or what was advertized.

However, let me make it absolutely clear that I had no complaints with regards to illumination during the trip. Also, the color of the Nightbreaker light is about 4300K, means it is slightly whiter than our normal bulbs. This is supposed to reduce strain, and it works. I am a regular on the Delhi-Mumbai route and often do it at night. This was the first time I have been able to drive from sunset till sunrise without having to stop and splash water into my eyes. Stock fogs and low beam + Nightbreaker Unlimited for high beam, this combination works, once you get used to the beam pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post
Wow Shreyans that was one crazy driving schedule for 3 days. Thanks for the write up as well.The squeaking sound from the seat is quite irritating specially when everything else is quite in the cabin it feels as if a mouse is traveling with you.
Any suggestions from anyone how can we silence this noise as I have observed this in some other cars from different manufacturers as well.
Normally, this squeaking sound can be attributed to worn rubber or padding on the bracket on which the rear seat latches onto. This however applies to seats which flip or fold. The City's rear seat is fixed, no flipping, no folding, no 60:40 split, no nothing. Hence, I am kind of perplexed as to what the problem really is. It is there for sure and is really irritating. It spoils the feel-good part of owning a 12L car. I will get this looked into when the car goes in for its 10k km service.

In pic: the offending bracket with its worn padding as in my Scorpio. I give it a wrap of insulation tape whenever the squeaking starts to bother me. Insta-fix and economical solution that works.
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20140606_145939.jpg  

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 6th June 2014 at 15:20.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 15:45   #2016
BHPian

Quote:
Many Thanks Tejas. Just because the Golden Brown colour looks black from many angles, I decided to opt for this colour.
==============
Lastly, will like to meet you someday and share some T-BHP experiences

Thanks for your update. I too have booked a CVT with Arya Honda. While their attitude was polite and helpful the one thing that I didn't like was they flatly refused PDI. Although I have a waiting period of more than 4 months i thought it would be better to clarify beforehand.
Did you ask for a PDI before full payment and when the car arrives in the stockyard?. If so did they agree to it?. If they did may I request a reference from you so that I too can do a PDI as per team BHP guidelines.
Old 6th June 2014, 17:22   #2017
BHPian

Finally decided to book the VX CVT in White... Was told that it will be at 3-4 month wait although they expect production to be increased and I could get the car earlier.

Booking done at Pride Honda Banjara Hills. Booking process was smooth. However a couple of days after I booked the car I got a call from their customer service department. The lady congratulated me on booking a SV CVT! When I told her I had booked a VX and not SV, she said she was calling to confirm what variant I had booked.

I don't understand why they would call a customer without the complete information. Something Pride Honda should look into.
Old 6th June 2014, 17:59   #2018
BHPian

Quote:

As for lights, the key thing is that the City uses the rare HB3 (9005) type bulbs for the high beam and H11 for the low beam and fogs.

I had a pair of the top-of-the-line Nightbreaker Unlimited imported from www.powerbulbs.com for GBP 35. It was a straightforward and hassle free purchase and I received them within a week. Installation was a 5 minute DIY. Initially I was not really thrilled with them. While there was a definite improvement in illumination, it was not as much as what I expected or what was advertized.

Stock fogs and low beam + Nightbreaker Unlimited for high beam, this combination works, once you get used to the beam pattern.
Thanks a lot for all that information, I think I will try out the Nightbreaker Unlimited too.

Anybody else using any other upgrades here??
Old 6th June 2014, 18:33   #2019
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Many, many hearty congratulations, Rahul. The 2014 City in this particular Golden Brown Metallic shade is a real head turner, specially when parked under the sun during day time. It makes the car look a class apart. You can check out my ownership thread for detailed pics of the shade from all angles, and I can assure you, your car will be unique, even in a sea of Citys in the city.

Hope to see a complete ownership report from you once you get your car, dotted with plenty of pictures!

Quote:
Normally, this squeaking sound can be attributed to worn rubber or padding on the bracket on which the rear seat latches onto. This however applies to seats which flip or fold. The City's rear seat is fixed, no flipping, no folding, no 60:40 split, no nothing. Hence, I am kind of perplexed as to what the problem really is. It is there for sure and is really irritating. It spoils the feel-good part of owning a 12L car. I will get this looked into when the car goes in for its 10k km service.
Weird, but in my 2 and half months of ownership I haven't heard of this even once. Never have the back seat passengers complained about it, either.

Check this pic, Shreyans - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...509_124525.jpg

It's from the day when I got my seat covers fixed (details in my ownership thread). The rear seat bench is absolutely flat and devoid of any rubber or padding whatsoever. The lower part of the rear seat is a direct fit on two delicate plastic clips in front, and two locks behind. Now, which section from that picture above might be the culprit here?

Last edited by RavenAvi : 6th June 2014 at 18:35.
Old 6th June 2014, 18:48   #2020
BHPian

Anybody using 3d mats for the new City? I need a set for mine and I am not able to source anything here. Need to be prepared before monsoons set it.
Old 6th June 2014, 21:36   #2021
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilagdr View Post
Thanks a lot for all that information, I think I will try out the Nightbreaker Unlimited too.

Anybody else using any other upgrades here??
Based on the same site and if I set the filter to HB3, I see multiple Bulbs listed.
PowerBulbs URL

Would request the Bulb experts to provide some inputs on the different choices available on the page. The page calls out the Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited as the Bestseller and categorizes it for performance.
Old 6th June 2014, 22:17   #2022
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Weird, but in my 2 and half months of ownership I haven't heard of this even once. Never have the back seat passengers complained about it, either.

The rear seat bench is absolutely flat and devoid of any rubber or padding whatsoever. The lower part of the rear seat is a direct fit on two delicate plastic clips in front, and two locks behind. Now, which section from that picture above might be the culprit here?
I have no details of what mechanism Honda is using to mount the rear seat. I will be surprised if any of those clips are broken because that rear seat has not seen more than 3 passengers at a time till now, no abuse or overloading. But the sound is there, and it should not be there.

Lower part of the seat is fine, it is the back cushion that is the problem. I only need to sit in a stationary car and move back and forth against the back cushion to make it squeak.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 6th June 2014 at 22:23.
Old 6th June 2014, 22:33   #2023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoB View Post

Booking done at Pride Honda Banjara Hills. Booking process was smooth. However a couple of days after I booked the car I got a call from their customer service department. The lady congratulated me on booking a SV CVT! When I told her I had booked a VX and not SV, she said she was calling to confirm what variant I had booked.

I don't understand why they would call a customer without the complete information. Something Pride Honda should look into.
Every city has its share of fun dose. I got a call from my dealer customer service 2 months after i had booked my car. She asked me what i have decided regarding city? Would you be booking it?

I was like its been 2 months since i booked and how you got my number etc., it was all silence.
Vahanam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2014, 21:32   #2024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick145 View Post
Anybody using 3d mats for the new City? I need a set for mine and I am not able to source anything here. Need to be prepared before monsoons set it.
I was looking for Maxspider 3D mats too.I was accidentally given the 3rd Generation 3D mats as it was delivered directly at home by the accessories dealer (We know each other through a common person). Later on he accepted his mistake and took back those mats and told me that it will take another 3 weeks as a minimum to get those for 4th Gen and advised me to go for 3M nomad mats. This was about 2 weeks back and I finally went for 3M nomad mats. The rains start within a week's time and I do not want have the rains start spoiling the carpet.
Old 7th June 2014, 22:06   #2025
Geo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahanam View Post
Every city has its share of fun dose. I got a call from my dealer customer service....
Same here. I got a call on the day before delivery and the person who called me was asking if I was offered any freebies or deals by the dealer. It seems Honda dealers are not supposed to offer any deals and she was making sure of that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks