Team-BHP - 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-140.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumitgovil2311 (Post 3457061)
I wasn't aware that underbody paint also reduces road noise. Is this a known fact? Or just some observation?

This would NOT significantly reduce the noise. There could be a bit of reduction. Tyre change (to soft compound) makes drastic difference. Damping the doors & floors (will cost you a lot as well) will cut down on the noise level. But, the car will become heavier (if floors are damped) and your FE might be a little lower with the extra weight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumitgovil2311 (Post 3457061)
I wasn't aware that underbody paint also reduces road noise. Is this a known fact? Or just some observation?

Sound deadening properties of underbody coating is advertised by Paint vendors like 3M ( link ) There are several online references that affirms the same.

In my case I've observed noise reduction after getting the underbody coated with the rubberized paint.

Quote:

Originally Posted by for_cars1 (Post 3456856)
Where did you rest your right foot when the cruise control is active ?

We are so used to the right foot being either in one of the two places either on the accelerator or on the brake.

I was a bit apprehensive about resting the right foot on the floor while in cruise control.
The right foot is conditioned to sub-consciously lift itself from the accelerator and land on the brake when required. That automatic reaction of landing the foot on the brake from the floor is untested :D atleast until getting getting used to cruise control.
So whenever I used this feature on a couple of occasions, my right foot was almost on the accelerator though I was not pressing it.

This is a very good point and I have had the exact same concern regarding cruise control. Our reflexes are trained to move quickly to brake from accelerator and I am not sure if the same would happen when we rest on the floor rather than the accelerator. As such we have to be very alert when using Cruise Control but it definitely reduces the strain on the leg and makes the journey more comfortable. I used it very effectively on the Bangalore-Hyderabad highway during a day trip to Lepakshi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsrivatsa (Post 3457276)
This is a very good point and I have had the exact same concern regarding cruise control. Our reflexes are trained to move quickly to brake from accelerator and I am not sure if the same would happen when we rest on the floor rather than the accelerator. As such we have to be very alert when using Cruise Control but it definitely reduces the strain on the leg and makes the journey more comfortable. I used it very effectively on the Bangalore-Hyderabad highway during a day trip to Lepakshi.

This is a valid point and it takes some practice to get the right foot to move quickly from the floor to the brake pedal. Again, this has all to do with the fact that we in general are not used to driving with cruise engaged, and need to adjust a bit to its quirks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain (Post 3457418)
This is a valid point and it takes some practice to get the right foot to move quickly from the floor to the brake pedal. Again, this has all to do with the fact that we in general are not used to driving with cruise engaged, and need to adjust a bit to its quirks.

Very similar to effectively making use of the ABS. People tend to freeze on the steering inputs when braking hard. Makes sense on a non-ABS car, but beats the purpose to half in a car equipped with ABS when you are not steering away your car from danger while braking hard. Agree that one will not skid due to ABS, but that is not the actual purpose. The actual purpose is to ensure the ability to steer the vehicle while braking.

Was curious to know, has anyone installed more speakers than those which come along the car? Like, in V and Vx, we get 4 speakers and 4 tweeters. Has anyone used the back tray too?

Hi,

Honda took 3 weeks to get the part (alternator belt)! The service manager called me yesterday and told me that there is no mismatch with the belt and they have informed Honda again to ship the proper belt.

I really wonder if Honda is taking their after sales service seriously! I saw another post in this thread where the belt replacement did not solve.

The service manager @ Magnum has offered to take the car once the new part arrives. Going by the trend, I dont see that happening for weeks now.

To add salt to wounds, I get a mail from Honda customer care that they will close the case and want to know if I am satisfied! grrrrrrr

Hey guys, has anyone faced engine knocking noise in the new Honda city. It is either tap head noise or bearing noise or something. It is more prominent at cold start and is seen on flat roads. I have seen the noise when I start from my office on outer ring road in Bangalore.

Magnum guys kept arguing that it is not there. One of the guys even told me it is expected in gradient! I had to give them a piece of my mind that I am driving petrol cars for 19 years now and I know what knocking noise it.

These dudes at the service station drive in noisy Kanakapura road in Bangalore. You will surely not catch any noise. I am also not able to zero in if the noise diminishes after the engine gets heated up.

Any tips on catching this problem? Magnum guys are clueless! I am seriously contemplating inviting the service manager home for early morning check when it is silent.

I dont want to take the lacklustre explanation that it is not a serious problem with the engine.

Thanks
//Shekar

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdma (Post 3452679)
Thanks for the update , lets see what new the service center would give us.

I might be sounding stupid however is this because of the high engine noise known in diesel versions that possibly people are not able to notice the sound.
However the sound that people are mentioning I guess is more like the "wizzz" sound that comes from the belt which can hardly be missed by regular users. IDTEC owners kindly pitch in with your inputs.

Hello shch,

Kindly let us know if the part is replaced and if the issue is fixed. If yes please share the part details as well with us as it might help many others.

cheers,
pdma.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shch (Post 3457946)
Hi,

These dudes at the service station drive in noisy Kanakapura road in Bangalore. You will surely not catch any noise. I am also not able to zero in if the noise diminishes after the engine gets heated up.

Any tips on catching this problem? Magnum guys are clueless! I am seriously contemplating inviting the service manager home for early morning check when it is silent.

Can you try recording the sound/noise through your phone or mp3 player? You can then share this file with the service head. And if still required invite the service manager to your home

Took a test drive of Honda City i-Dtec, would like to pen down my observations -

What I liked -

- The creamy torque available which pulls the car clean and the torque feels like it can pull a loaded truck (Super like)
- Absolutely no turbo lag, now I know how diesel engine with non-existent turbo lag feels. Its an absolute bliss not to change gears its simply point and shoot!!
- Back seat space is superb.
- You cant beat a City with its associated brand equity & the respect it carries.

What I did not like -

- Feels unrefined, after the quick drive my i20 D felt more premium in terms of engine refinement and cocooned feel.
- Gear shift feels hard and jammed.
- Dashboard is placed quite high and plastic material quality felt below par.
- Ride quality felt a bit harsh.
- The car overall feels fragile, lacks the solid feel which a big car should give.

The test drive was for around 10 Kms which I know is less to asses a car's +tives and -tives but I tried to check the major points which I as a user looks for in a car.

After a spending almost two weeks deliberating between the Honda City MT (V) and CVT (SV), my wife and I finally decided to book the CVT last Saturday. Will be getting delivery of the Black SV-CVT in first week of July.

I've booked it without a test drive, because there are no test drive vehicles available in Hyderabad. Calls to the Honda central customer number also did not help arrange a test drive. What I did get to drive was the Nissan Sunny CVT which I felt was not too bad, and read that the Honda City CVT is quite superior to the Sunny CVT. So eagerly waiting for it now!

Also, for those of you looking for more reviews on the CVT, and not able to find, here are some links from Malaysian and Thai Honda City CVT reviews:

http://www.simonhar.com/2014/04/driv...onda-city.html

http://www.livelifedrive.com/malaysi...g-game-changer

Quote:

Originally Posted by adarsh76 (Post 3454413)

Coming to the FE part, my usage is 50-50 in highway and city but the driving conditions are close to 75% city driving as there are frequent blocks in the highway (mind that Trivandrum still have only 2 lane highways, thanks to our great politicians). The average FE had touched a maximum of 14.2 km/l in these conditions as per MID and settled at 11.2 km/l today on a distance of 103.5 kms during the last reset trip. ECON mode always off. For me, this is a great FE for a new car. I was expecting under 10.

The last average full to full method returned 9.3 kms/l with the MID showing 8.7 km/l. This is not accurate enough since I had filled the petrol in 2 separate occasions. Also, its too early to comment on FE as my car has just run 382 kms so far.

Ok, it seems that Honda is almost right for the FE claim. ECON mode off and AC set automatically at 24 all the time, I have got an MID Average value of 15km/l (highest so far) in 75% city and 25% highway conditions. The value finally settled down at 12 km/l in my bid to find a parking space. No harsh braking, but not a sedate driving as well.

Yes, it seems Honda is right atleast for now.

Will be getting my car soon. Requesting tyre gurus to show me some guidance in my confusion

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post3457935

Quote:

Originally Posted by for_cars1 (Post 3456856)
Where did you rest your right foot when the cruise control is active ?

We are so used to the right foot being either in one of the two places either on the accelerator or on the brake.

I was a bit apprehensive about resting the right foot on the floor while in cruise control.
The right foot is conditioned to sub-consciously lift itself from the accelerator and land on the brake when required. That automatic reaction of landing the foot on the brake from the floor is untested :D atleast until getting getting used to cruise control.
So whenever I used this feature on a couple of occasions, my right foot was almost on the accelerator though I was not pressing it.

Definitely a valid point. Infact someone moving from a Manual to Automatic also face some similar challenges because we are so used to disengaging the clutch for gear changes you tend to hit the breaks hard with the left foot assuming that we are pressing the clutch pedal. It takes sometime to adjust to these changes but once our brain is tuned to this it handles well without much hassle.

Also today when on my way to work I found the New Honda City here in Latin America (Mx) for the first time and guess what Honda did not do any kind of partiality this time with the cars they gave us. The car I saw had the same hideous front grill and the similar exhaust fan inspired alloys.
The picture was clicked from my cell phone in the rain so kindly excuse me for the bad quality.

Cheers,
pdma.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdma (Post 3460218)

Also today when on my way to work I found the New Honda City here in Latin America (Mx) for the first time and guess what Honda did not do any kind of partiality this time with the cars they gave us. The car I saw had the same hideous front grill and the similar exhaust fan inspired alloys.

Good to see Honda City around the globe. Honda has done some differentiation though! The Alloys wheels are not the same. Variations can be many but Inspiration still seems to be the exhaust fan :D.

This Alloy is sometimes like a haunted image. They stay fresh in the memory and one can pick up minor variations easily stupid:

Picture taken from Honda's Mexico site. http://www.honda.mx/honda-city/

Those still look better than what they have offered here in India. The alloys really look very bad.