Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2014, 21:23   #2116
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy_tej View Post
Tejas, I think those are really low values of FE that you're getting, and I think you should attribute that to the change of tyres.

After reading the forum posts, I was in two minds about replacing tyres since that was highly recommended here. I had even inquired with TyreX in Mulund for the quotes. However, on the day of delivery, I changed my mind and decided to go with the stock tyres. Now, I am getting FE of around 14 for the start and I am sure that will rise as the engines frees up.
The FE of 14 that you mention is based on the MID or Tank Full to Tank Full method? Also what is the amount of City driving that you are talking about?

In my case all my driving has been within Mumbai city with hardly or minimal highway driving. I did take the car for a 100 Kms drive which involved 50/50% of highway and City and got an FE of over 14. So I don't think this is purely attributable to the Tyre Change. The are a lot of people who have already gone ahead with the Tyre change and are reporting good FE.

But again it depends on what FE is everyone reporting. Because after some of the responses that we have on the forums, I have started to believe that the MID FE is always about 5-7% higher than the actual FE that you would get by Tank Full to Tank Full method.
Old 26th June 2014, 11:46   #2117
BHPian

Quote:
Tejas, I think those are really low values of FE that you're getting, and I think you should attribute that to the change of tyres.

After reading the forum posts, I was in two minds about replacing tyres since that was highly recommended here. I had even inquired with TyreX in Mulund for the quotes. However, on the day of delivery, I changed my mind and decided to go with the stock tyres. Now, I am getting FE of around 14 for the start and I am sure that will rise as the engines frees up.
Well i think Fuel efficiency has more to do with one's driving style than tyre upsize , i get a low figure of 13-14 from my diesel city and even i used to think my tyre upsize is causing this , so one day i tried the cruise control , was lucky enough to get a semi empty stretch of road for about 20kms (NH8) , and almost constantly driving at 80km/h i managed to extract 26km/l(it peaked at 28.8km/l but dropped because of traffic i got when i got off the highway) , the low figures obviously are due to my driving style , the tyres must be making a difference of no more than 0.5-1 km/l. Also i would like to add that my driving style doesnt involve upshifting at 3500 rpm or something , i usually upshift in the range of 2000-2500 rpm these days.
Old 26th June 2014, 12:12   #2118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
Well i think Fuel efficiency has more to do with one's driving style than tyre upsize ,.. i managed to extract 26km/l(it peaked at 28.8km/.
Well said
26 kmpl is the ARAI certified mileage but I wanted to check if more can be extracted.

The instantaneous fuel consumption meter is callibrated upto 40 km/L so while driving upto Nelamangala, I tried keeping the speed around 60 to 70 kmph and the rpm hovering as low as possible and 6th gear engaged and keeping the instantaneous consumption meter as high as possible, the average mileage from start upto a distance of about 30 Km peaked at 32.5 kmpl and counting with passenger load of 4 and luggage in the boot.
After that I gave up the experiment and went back to the usual 90 to 100 kmph range and then the FE started dropping and stabilized at 23.5 kmpl

Last edited by for_cars1 : 26th June 2014 at 12:28.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 14:47   #2119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
Congrats Harpreet. After your Ford experience, hope you enjoy many years of trouble free ownership.
Thanks Satan for your wishes. Yes, that is why I chose Honda over my urge to buy a Reanult Duster - even though the Duster deal was very good. I did not want to take any chances now. City is a cult product as far as quality and comfort is concerned - I'm taking delivery on Sunday
Many Thanks again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Congratulations Harpreet.

Good to see happy days starting from now on with the Honda as you have suffered enough with the lemon that Ford gifted you in the form of an EcoSport.

Wish you long and happy miles with the Honda.

A question, have you booked diesel or a petrol?

All the best.

Anurag.
Thanks a lot Anurag for your wishes. As mentioned above Honda as it is the best. I'm buying from Coutesy Honda - Okhla - New Delhi.
I have booked Diesel varaint as I really liked the pickup of the car. I did see the mobilio but it did not excite me and nor my family.

Will keep you all buddies posted as soon as I get the delivery.
Old 26th June 2014, 18:38   #2120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Well said
26 kmpl is the ARAI certified mileage but I wanted to check if more can be extracted.

The instantaneous fuel consumption meter is callibrated upto 40 km/L so while driving upto Nelamangala, I tried keeping the speed around 60 to 70 kmph and the rpm hovering as low as possible and 6th gear engaged and keeping the instantaneous consumption meter as high as possible, the average mileage from start upto a distance of about 30 Km peaked at 32.5 kmpl and counting with passenger load of 4 and luggage in the boot.
After that I gave up the experiment and went back to the usual 90 to 100 kmph range and then the FE started dropping and stabilized at 23.5 kmpl

Yes, the mileage on the diesel is really amazing, I have written about my recent experience on a highway drive from Bangalore to Coimbatore here:
URL

I managed to extract about 30.8 kmpl without AC and Cruise Mode of driving at 80 kmph
Old 26th June 2014, 19:40   #2121
Geo
BHPian

Let me add my best so far -
New car, iVtech, did only 300 kms... took for a sedate drive over an elevated highway.

24.5 kmpl for an 8.5 km stretch on a brand new car is good IMO.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3460408
Geo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 00:09   #2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
The FE of 14 that you mention is based on the MID or Tank Full to Tank Full method? Also what is the amount of City driving that you are talking about?
I am talking about tank full to tank full method. I have been driving within Mumbai, at times in heavy traffic. Never taken the car out of Mumbai yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
Well i think Fuel efficiency has more to do with one's driving style than tyre upsize.
It is true that FE would depend on driving style. I have been driving for more than 10 years... but I am sure tyre upsize would have a negative effect on FE, technically it should...
Old 27th June 2014, 00:55   #2123
BHPian

Quote:
It is true that FE would depend on driving style. I have been driving for more than 10 years... but I am sure tyre upsize would have a negative effect on FE, technically it should...
It sure would , like i said , driving style has more impact but tyre upsize too has its impact , its just its not that substantial , and is very marginal , in case you go with michelins , the little margin of about .5km/l gets even less(to the extent of being negligible) because of the tyres being optimised for mileage , the benifts they offer over them are much more substantial and have a very positive and noticiable impact on your overall ride and the stance of the car.
Old 27th June 2014, 07:57   #2124
BHPian

I just realized that the Honda City doesn't have rear wipers. This is my first Honda car and I never thought it would be absent. I am so used to it on my Figo. Is it really not needed?
Old 27th June 2014, 08:49   #2125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditto View Post
I just realized that the Honda City doesn't have rear wipers. This is my first Honda car and I never thought it would be absent. I am so used to it on my Figo. Is it really not needed?
The following link should answer your question

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-sedans-4.html
rahulsharma2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 11:35   #2126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsharma2008 View Post
The following link should answer your question

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-sedans-4.html
Thanks, interesting! Never thought of it that way! I often use the rear-wiper to clean the droplets - it reduces the refraction of light from cars behind in times of rain in the dark.
Old 27th June 2014, 12:44   #2127
BHPian

Congrats to all those who have got delivery. I went to book a city automatic, and was informed that there is a 7 month waiting for the same. I guess i won't be replacing my car anytime soon
Old 27th June 2014, 14:44   #2128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishaanranderia View Post
Congrats to all those who have got delivery. I went to book a city automatic, and was informed that there is a 7 month waiting for the same. I guess i won't be replacing my car anytime soon
Did you try booking VX or SV? I booked my SV CVT in end April and got delivery on 24th June (The car was ready to be delivered on 20th June itself but I was out of town). I was told that VX CVT is not produced in sufficient numbers so the waiting period is more for that variant. I did not want VX anyway as the difference in on road price between SV CVT and VX CVT is almost 3.5 lakhs !!
Old 27th June 2014, 14:56   #2129
BHPian

Hey chennai-indian. I was looking to book the VX variant, which it seems is really hard to come by, unless i pay a premium
Old 27th June 2014, 16:09   #2130
Senior - BHPian

Had some hiccups related to the delivery of my car. They were giving us Red color but My father was adamant that it has to be in White color only so we had to ask for the interference of a relative who is at a high post in Honda. Result, dealer has stated we will get the car in the first lot of July itself. Confirmation of date will be done on 2july when they receive their monthly schedule.
So hopefully should get in first week of July.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed