Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2014, 13:31   #2311
Senior - BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Does the City has only one reverse lamp? My friend who bought his SV CVT is having only one reverse lamp lighting up.
Old 16th July 2014, 14:40   #2312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Couple of questions-
1. What is the recommended tyre pressure?
2. WHat are the gear ratios as i can't find it in the manual?
Honda says 32 PSI front and 30 rear. I generally keep it +1 for both, and for highway drives I keep it as +2. Won't bother the stock size tyres too much.

Same here. Did a TON of searching all through the Net but couldn't find them anywhere. All the review sites say "gear ratios are short and tuned for maximising FE". The closest information available is for the 1.6L i-DTEC for the Civic and the CR-V, which states:

3.642:1 first gear ratio,
1.884:1 second gear ratio,
1.179:1 third gear ratio,
0.869:1 fourth gear ratio,
0.705:1 fifth gear ratio,
0.592:1 sixth gear ratio and
3.673:1 reverse gear ratio manual.

Final Reduction Ratio = 4.352.

(for the Civic 1.6 i-DTEC Comfort & for the CR-V)

Considering that the 1.6L has been re-bored to make this 1.5L i-DTEC for our country, it's safe to assume that the gear ratios are shorter than the ones specified above. Exact info can only be given by the technical staff of Honda India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsk2009 View Post
Is there any fuel grade specification in manual for petrol city? Is normal petrol OK for i-Vtec?
Don't think so. Normal petrol is quite OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
Would love to have the feedback of other members owning New City regarding Point 2 of CapnCook. Any one else had a back ache after a long journey? If so any remedy?
Well, I have been doing 300-km, 400-km runs for some time now, and have stayed extremely comfortable. The Cruise Control is a boon for this. No back aches whatsoever. Had a few leg aches when I wasn't using Cruise Control extensively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
How often does a City require wheel balancing and alignment. During my last trip on the highway, once crossed 90km on the ORR, I felt the steering to vibrate.
If this is due to balancing and alignment, is it ok to do it at Honda service centers or elsewhere.

And is it possible to replace the 2012 city antenna to the latest shark fin?
If roads are good in your area, no need until every 10,000 kms. If roads are bad, bumpy and rough, 5000-km intervals is advisable. If roads are the worst, better to do it every 2500-kms. Any good balancing/alignment center will do.

Yes it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Does the City has only one reverse lamp? My friend who bought his SV CVT is having only one reverse lamp lighting up.
Nope. The City has 2 reverse lamps on either side. Tell your friend to get it checked at the Honda A.S.S. center. One of the bulbs might have gone kaput.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 14:56   #2313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
If roads are good in your area, no need until every 10,000 kms. If roads are bad, bumpy and rough, 5000-km intervals is advisable. If roads are the worst, better to do it every 2500-kms. Any good balancing/alignment center will do.
Yes it is.
Roads are pretty bad in my area courtesy, metro rail. There have been instances where my car has hit the pot holes/speed bumpers real hard and feel this should have caused the mis-alignment. My car is currently 7100KM old. Will give it to my nearby shop for balancing.
Is there any DIY/guide on where to source the shark fin and install it.
Old 16th July 2014, 15:03   #2314
BHPian

Here is something to Cheer for the City Fans. There have been various posts on the City and its stupendous Mileage figures. Hope this Compilation is useful for owners and potential buyers.

If there are other 2014 city owners and have Fuel Efficiency figures, please let know or message me. I will include.

Happy Mile Crunching
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-mileage.jpg  

Last edited by Vahanam : 16th July 2014 at 15:10.
Vahanam is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 15:25   #2315
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
The door automatically unlocks whenever there is harsh braking or when the car jumps into a pothole
Standard in all Mercedes. Observed the same behaviour in my C220. Merc technician said the vehicle is meant to auto-unlock doors in an accident. Guess this impact sensor gets triggered by sharp pothole jolts.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 15:44   #2316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahanam View Post
Here is something to Cheer for the City Fans. There have been various posts on the City and its stupendous Mileage figures. Hope this Compilation is useful for owners and potential buyers.

If there are other 2014 city owners and have Fuel Efficiency figures, please let know or message me. I will include.
Vahanam - that is a real good compilation - very informative and useful too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Standard in all Mercedes. Observed the same behaviour in my C220. Merc technician said the vehicle is meant to auto-unlock doors in an accident. Guess this impact sensor gets triggered by sharp pothole jolts.
Adarsh, please do update on this after the Penninsular Honda guys tightened your door fitment or is it a feature as found in the Mercs?

Last edited by anilagdr : 16th July 2014 at 15:49.
Old 16th July 2014, 15:48   #2317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Nope. The City has 2 reverse lamps on either side. Tell your friend to get it checked at the Honda A.S.S. center. One of the bulbs might have gone kaput.
The H.A.S.S out rightly said to my friend that City has just one reverse light! Called them up and with 'Empress' photo at hand, asked them to recheck and call back.
That's when I got the doubt, whether it has something to do with the SV trim.

Edit: They fixed it! Still wondering why they gave wrong info initially.

Last edited by sarathlal : 16th July 2014 at 15:56.
Old 16th July 2014, 15:57   #2318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
The H.A.S.S out rightly said to my friend that City has just one reverse light! Called them up and with 'Empress' photo at hand, asked them to recheck and call back.
That's when I got the doubt, whether it has something to do with the SV trim.
I have SV i-dtec and it has 2 reverse lights. If you need a pic to confirm the same i can click it in the evening.
harry10 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 16:01   #2319
BHPian

Quote:
I have SV i-dtec and it has 2 reverse lights. If you need a pic to confirm the same i can click it in the evening.
harry10, Sarathlal has fixed the reverse lights. I think HCIL should start giving refresher trainings to the technicians at their ASS facilities.
anilagdr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 16:21   #2320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
GTO - Yeah I understand its a safety feature (Impact sensing door unlock) but I got alarmed when it was unlocking even while slightly braking on a slope or even when I step into the pothole really slowly.

After Peninsular repaired it, this is not happening but the door needs a slightly heavy push to close now. Seems they have tightened it a bit too much. Taking to them again to correct it and will ask for a clarification on when it should actually unlock.
Old 16th July 2014, 16:31   #2321
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry Harpreet, guess my previous update was unclear. I have installed only the reverse sensors and not the camera. The display is in IRVM and it works extremely well. Forgot the brand name but will check again when i go for the first service.
Sensors are body colored as seen from the pic i posted.
4500 includes everything. MRP is 5400 in accessory list but you should insist for the discount and they will give it.
Got it installed from Classic Honda itself. Took exact 25 minutes in installation.

2. WHat are the gear ratios as i can't find it in the manual?
Thanks Harry for the update. I will go for reverse parking sensor. Honda is getting "black cat" parking sensors installed for all after market requests.

Even I could not find any gear ratios mentioned in the booklet.

I got my first service done from Courtesy Honda yesterday and it took about 2 hours for the same. Even the service guys had no clue of gear ratios.

But seeing the mileage I have been getting on tankful-to-tankful method, I do not see any issues in the gear ratios I have been using.

Looking out next for :
1. Fog lamps
2. Reverse parking sensors
3. 3M car coating and under body rust.

Does anybody know that 3M guys do all this in Faridabad ? I can see just one authorised shop at Kailash Colony, New Delhi and I'm not in great mood to drive from Faridabad to get these treatments done.
Old 16th July 2014, 18:32   #2322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetsubhi View Post

Thanks Harry for the update. I will go for reverse parking sensor. Honda is getting "black cat" parking sensors installed for all after market requests.

But seeing the mileage I have been getting on tankful-to-tankful method, I do not see any issues in the gear ratios I have been using.

Looking out next for :
1. Fog lamps
2. Reverse parking sensors
3. 3M car coating and under body rust.

Does anybody know that 3M guys do all this in Faridabad ? I can see just one authorised shop at Kailash Colony, New Delhi and I'm not in great mood to drive from Faridabad to get these treatments done.
There is no 3M place in Faridabad. You can either get it done from Gurgaon or Delhi. No other option.

Avi has given quite a good info about estimated gear ratio few posts below. Still, I will check it on my first service and if they are clueless will drop a mail to Honda.

What is the mileage you are getting in city driving?
Till now I am getting 15.6 as per MID which includes a lot of bumper to bumper drive. AC is 100% on.
Old 16th July 2014, 18:34   #2323
BHPian

Quote:
Generally it's advisable to get balancing and alignment done after every 5000kms. You can get it done outside as it will be double the cost at Honda.
I think always it is better to get alignment work done at one place only. In my Punto I used to get it done at dealership during service and next one at outside(after 6 months/5Kms) to avoid any warranty issue. But my tires were replaced at 21K due to bad alignment. Better check with Honda whether the warranty will be valid if we get the alignment done at outside.

Last edited by Stratos : 17th July 2014 at 14:54. Reason: Corrected 'Quote' tag
Old 16th July 2014, 20:48   #2324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
GTO - Yeah I understand its a safety feature (Impact sensing door unlock) but I got alarmed when it was unlocking even while slightly braking on a slope or even when I step into the pothole really slowly.

After Peninsular repaired it, this is not happening but the door needs a slightly heavy push to close now. Seems they have tightened it a bit too much. Taking to them again to correct it and will ask for a clarification on when it should actually unlock.
Issue fixed. As per the Service Advisor, automatic door unlocking is a security feature which functions only during a justifiable impact.
Old 16th July 2014, 20:58   #2325
BHPian

Hi BHPians,

I have booked the Honda City VX IDtec MT variant and it seems ages before I would have my hands on it. I am committed a timeline of October.

I have a quick question - Does the top end VX and the V variants both have the heat absorbing windshield glasses ? Can anybody confirm ? Some SA say that it is present in both variants, some say it is available only in the VX variant however, i did not see it on any of the Honda City brochures.

Please update ?

Regards

Most Viewed