Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2014, 05:54   #2641
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post
Hello Seran,

Congratulations !!!! on the new car. I tried opening the thread and I got the message that I do not have permission to access the page. I think the thread is not yet moved to public forum and it is still in assembly line.
If you have completed compiling all the information you wanted to, please notify the same to mods so that they can take the next action.

cheers,
pdma.
Thanks for your wishes. I have made a full thread and posted it directly in the initial ownership area ( socond ownership thread in 6 years so forgot that it should posted in the assembly). A pm from mods intimated me it was moved assembly. Got confused and then realized the mistake. Have notified ( using the small ! In a triangle button). Hope it comes back soon. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Last edited by Seran Manian : 21st August 2014 at 05:56.
Seran Manian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 07:31   #2642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitgovil2311 View Post
Observed this in my old Honda City (2nd Gen) as well, and thought it was common in all cars. Don't really know if this is indeed an issue, but generally I keep all the window panes rolled up while opening or closing the doors
Normally I close the doors with window panes rolled up, but when you are travelling and stop at a shop to buy and you have family members sitting on the back, we tend to switch off the engine & roll down the window panes so that they get fresh air to breath.

At that times, this thud noise is unavoidable. Is this fixable or have to live with it?
Old 22nd August 2014, 10:15   #2643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmraja View Post
At that times, this thud noise is unavoidable. Is this fixable or have to live with it?
I have learnt to live with it, and with time, I no longer realize the thud
Old 22nd August 2014, 13:41   #2644
BHPian

Here are a few pictures of Kagu Maxspider 3D mats:

Quality seems pretty good. Much better than those duplicate 3D mats.
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_6800.jpg
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_6801.jpg
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_6802.jpg

Rear mat is a single piece and fits really well.
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_6803.jpg
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_6804.jpg

Overall fitting is nice.
One small problem, the hump for the dead pedal on the mat is bit high than its supposed to be. There is no hindrance in pressing the clutch, neither does it get struck but your foot will brush against that protruding hump. I guess it will settle down with time.
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_6805.jpg

PS. I tried 3 different mats, all had the same design flaw.
SumitBahl is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 13:42   #2645
BHPian

4th Gen Honda city known technical problems

Please add to this thread any known technical issues and solutions for the 4th Gen Honda City.

I will begin with a issue being faced by a large number of petrol city owners.
When the car heats up ( after say 15-20 min of city driving ) there is a distinct ringing/grinding noise that emanates from the engine bay when the car idles.
The noise sounds like a little bell being tied to a rotating pulley mixed with a grinding noise like the one you would hear if you get a knife sharpened against a grinding wheel.
This noise actually comes from the accessory belt ( also known as the alternator/drive/fan belt ).
This is the belt you see on the left side of the engine which goes around the AC compressor alternator etc.
Here is a recording of the noise:
https://soundcloud.com/netmax/2014-honda-city-svt-idling

The noise disappears if you sprinkle a few drops of water on the non-ribbed side of the belt.

No known solution to the problem exists. Replacing the belt or changing the idler pulley does not seem to resolve the issue.

Last edited by JediKnight : 22nd August 2014 at 13:44. Reason: Typo
JediKnight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 14:06   #2646
Senior - BHPian

Re: 4th Gen Honda city known technical problems

Sounds horrible. Not expected from a petrol Honda, so far famed for its refined engine. Did you take it up with Honda A.S.S.? I hope they come up with a solution soon.

My neighours who have 3rd generation cars do not have this issue though. I am referring to the model that was released in 2008.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 15:07   #2647
BHPian

Re: 4th Gen Honda city known technical problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post

The noise disappears if you sprinkle a few drops of water on the non-ribbed side of the belt.

No known solution to the problem exists. Replacing the belt or changing the idler pulley does not seem to resolve the issue.
Do you want to try the 3m belt spray ? Think it may help ? I believe the product is called "3M BELT DRESSING COMPOUND". You can do a search on the internet, it's available with the 3M dealers in India.

This is what's included in the product description on the 3M site.

BENEFITS
Protects belts from excessive wear and tear. Increases transmission efficiency, eliminates screeching noise, improves belt life. Helps reduce weathering effect on belts. Increases air-conditioner cooling efficiency if used on A/C drive belt.
APPLICATION
3 Engine belts, A/C belts

Please note: I do not work for 3M
Old 22nd August 2014, 17:42   #2648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
Here are a few pictures of Kagu Maxspider 3D mats:

Quality seems pretty good. Much better than those duplicate 3D mats.
Attachment 1276846
Attachment 1276847
Attachment 1276848

Rear mat is a single piece and fits really well.
Attachment 1276849
Attachment 1276850

Overall fitting is nice.
One small problem, the hump for the dead pedal on the mat is bit high than its supposed to be. There is no hindrance in pressing the clutch, neither does it get struck but your foot will brush against that protruding hump. I guess it will settle down with time.
Attachment 1276851

PS. I tried 3 different mats, all had the same design flaw.

Hi Sumit,

Can you please let me know the price of these mats ?

Regards
Old 22nd August 2014, 19:50   #2649

Update on my problems with Petrol Honda City (2014 and 3 months old now)

After my escalation, Magnum sent their service advisor home to investigate the problem. He also acknowledged the problem with tap head noise. Before my escalation, I had asked the service advisor to come home. He was not forthcoming then. Only after my escalation, they took my case seriously.

I am yet to get my car but here is the update I got from Magnum few minutes ago.

(1) Belt noise: They have replaced with an advanced part (yet to get all details) and they claim that has resolved all issues. In the first service they had replaced the alternator belt

(2) Tap head noise: Honda continues to maintain that the noise is normal. I am not convinced. The noise is very obvious @ cold start and subsides only @ after driving 10 to 15 kms. The noise is seen around 2 to 3 k rpm and when I drive on a straight stretch. It is not obvious when I drive slow and bumper to bumper

I have tried to record the noise (See: https://drive.google.com/folderview?...ms&usp=sharing)

Ignore the background noise but please check if you find it unusual.

I need help of BHP-ians on how to approach this.

Magnum guys also recorded with their device and it seems Honda says it is normal operational noise.

I have not agreed to take the car back until it is resolved. When I cornered, they stated, each car will have different noise levels. Basically, in my opinion, they are trying to convince me to accept it as not a problem. I am not willing to budge given the quality expectations and the cost I have borne for this car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shch View Post
Hello Team-Bhpians,

Sorry for the delayed reply on the update to my Honda City Petrol problems

Honda replaced the alternator belt for the noise problem. It worked fine for a about 1.5 months and the noise is back again!

Tap head noise is not resolved. Severe tap noise at cold start which only subsides after 10 to 15 kms of drive. Service advisors say it is nothing to worry about.

I have sent a strong mail to Honda today on both the issues. Let me see what they respond.

Has anyone faced tap head noise in the new Honda city petrol?

Thx
//Shekar
Old 23rd August 2014, 11:18   #2650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive2Drive View Post
Hi Sumit,

Can you please let me know the price of these mats ?

Regards
I paid Rs. 5500 for the set.
SumitBahl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2014, 19:28   #2651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post

Try your luck with resizing all your images to 800x480 pixels - I'm yet to try this. Any other forum members had any luck with images?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitgovil2311 View Post
This works. I faced the same problem earlier.
But kept on reducing the size. Finally when the image size came in range of 640*480, and file size around 170 KB, I was able to successfully import the pic and set it as wallpaper. However, only three images can be imported at a time (a serious restriction).
THanks could get to change it finally when converted the images to 640 x 480 and about 250 kbs in size. Wonder why the manual mentions 2 MB as individual file size though. Probably it may have to with the image dimensions to fit the screen.
Old 23rd August 2014, 21:18   #2652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Felt like highlighting two observations in my car (Diesel)

1. The "glug-glug-glug" diesel engine clatter ends with a faint metallic note ...

Quote:
I'm pretty happy with the overall experience (touch wood), I'm planning to get the following points clarified/corrected during the next service.

2. Rear left charging socket is not working. ....

Is it possible to laminate (with a plastic film) the lower back part of the front seat rests? The beige fabric tends to get soiled with shoe marks.

Quote:
I just re-checked at idle with the bonnet open, it is coming from the belt area, more like the sound of insects (high pitched) chirping in the bushes during late nights.
However this sound is faint compared to the overall sound of the diesel clatter, so it is easy for it to go unnoticed.
I've got the pre-tensioner bearing sound addressed during the service. They have lubricated it and now the engine sounds very smooth and even more silent for a diesel.

Also they have fixed the issue of rear charging socket not working.

I did notice a few finger marks/stains on the beige upholstery after the service. Please let me know a good beige fabric upholstery cleaner (like a spray or liquid) that I can use to keep the beige seat fabric clean and remove these stains.
Old 23rd August 2014, 22:08   #2653
BHPian

Well I noticed the Grinding sound from the engine today for the first time today. I guess the same sound that a lot of people have been referring to.

My next servicing is not due till October. Should I be going to the Service center ASAP or would it be OK if I inform the Service center about the problem during the next servicing itself.
Old 23rd August 2014, 23:05   #2654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
Should I be going to the Service center ASAP or would it be OK if I inform the Service center about the problem during the next servicing itself.
Its not an issue per se. You can wait till the next service. All they do is oil the bearing. The minute sound can always return again.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 10:22   #2655
Geo
BHPian

Has anybody had a problem with a stuffy smell inside the car? It isn't too harsh, but it is mildly irritating. I had this stuffy smell right from the beginning and pointed it out during the first service. The SA explained that the smell is from the seat fabric and it will go as passengers sit on it more and wear it off. I had hardly used the rear seats before that. I made sure the rear seats were used after that. The smell still persists after 2 months.

Has anybody had this problem? Any solutions? Will it get fixed if I escalate it up to Honda?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks