Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2014, 20:23   #2956
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
There is a precept-able degrade in quality from the previous gen cities.
Do not know what is going on in Honda. Change in process/management/plant ? My brand new city has noises all around. My friends 8 year old city still drives flawlessly.
Even I am facing the same issue. Have reported the issue and would be handing over the car this weekend to resolve it.
Old 8th October 2014, 20:27   #2957
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitgovil2311 View Post
My Honda city V iVTEC has clocked 10K KMs, and was doing very fine till few days back when it suddenly started producing rattling sounds inside the cabin, particularly from below the windscreen, dashboard, and few other places.
Ditto. Mild rattling from the right side of the dashboard area below the windscreen, started at around 10k km. Now the vehicle has done almost 15k km and the vibration has worsened so much that it occurs with the revs, between 1500-2000rpm. Dealer could not fix it at the 10k km service. I see no long term solution to this, dashboard rattles are very hard to set right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
That means the horns are not fit properly and are touching the car body.
Horn vibration can be felt in the pedals. Its there and you have to live with it. Vibration will increase if you fit a stronger aftermarket horn. It does no harm though

FYI, the stock horns are motorcycle horns and are fitted right behind the right fog lamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
The HID kits I am looking at are all 35W kits, no matter what the Kelvin Rating is (I will be going for 6000K which is the same as the one offered by Honda in their official Accessory).

I may be wrong on this, but from what I browsed through some of the articles on Internet, the 135/175W Osrams that you are talking about (On your Scorpio) are not part of an HID kit. These are simulated HID which I explained in one of the earlier post. To fit those, you will need a relay and some changes to the Headlight housing in the City.
The 135/175 Osrams are not simulated HIDs. They are simple high wattage halogens on ceramic holders, with relays and dedicated wiring, running on an 85amp battery. Old school stuff, lots of current, lots of heat, lots of light, and by lord they turn night into day.

I've tried P4 6000K and 7500K on my Scorpio prior to the current setup. It sure looks snazzy but it does not cut it from an illumination point of view. The color of the light is such that it needs to reflect from what is in front of you to make it visible. It works well in congested urban traffic but out on an open road when there is nothing in front of you, you are effectively driving blind. Also, it dazzles the oncoming driver.

I dont care if it wears a monkey's tag or a Honda Genuine Accessory tag. My experience is that the color temperature should not exceed 4500K. Do try your proposed setup out on an empty winding road before plonking your hard earned money into it. My 2 cents.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 8th October 2014 at 20:35.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 21:59   #2958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmitKumarVinay View Post
Has anyone here tried importing a picture from a pen drive to the stock Audio system and has successfully managed to set it as Wallpaper?

I tried doing it a few times with various file types (gif, bmp, jpeg) and file size up to 1MB and still haven't managed to upload and set it. All I get is 'Unable to Upload Picture'.

Regards,
Amit
I understand your problem, but in the initial review itself, GTO had posted the link to the cool team-bhp wallpaper and i just checked out....its a .png image. So u can try converting your images to png format and then uploading.
Regards
aviator1101 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 21:59   #2959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive2Drive View Post
Hi All,

I have noticed a strange issue. The boot of my car is misaligned and there is a huge gap between the tail light and the boot.

Anyone who has faced a similar issue ?
Hello Alive,

Yes this is a common issue noticed by some members on the forum , in fact you can see the pictures of the panel gaps on the cars from Ravenavi & SumitBahl on page 192 & 193 of this thread.

Please check the pictures and let us know if you have anything different , kindly post the pictures of the misalignment on your car here so that we can take a look at it.

Quote:
Has anyone here tried importing a picture from a pen drive to the stock Audio system and has successfully managed to set it as Wallpaper?

Regards,
Amit
Hello Amit,

You can find the detailed pictorial on how to set up the wallpaper on Raven Avi's review on Page 5. Iam adding the link below for your reference , hope it is helpful.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-wheels-5.html

Also its sad to know about all the rattling issues being raised by many folks.

Quote:
. I am trying to find out, if there is a specific file format and a size limit to upload a picture and set it as wallpaper.
Thanks Amit ,

I would request the owners to pitch in here to help Amit with his issue.I was not aware that newbies cannot pictures.

Cheers,
pdma.

Last edited by pdma : 8th October 2014 at 22:23. Reason: Quoting Amit
pdma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 22:11   #2960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post
Hello Amit,

You can find the detailed pictorial on how to set up the wallpaper on Raven Avi's review on Page 5. Iam adding the link below for your reference , hope it is helpful.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-wheels-5.html
I understand how to import the picture from a USB drive to the audio system. I have tried adding pictures of different file types and file sizes , but the audio system is unable to accept the file and set it as wallpaper. I am trying to find out, if there is a specific file format and a size limit to upload a picture and set it as wallpaper. I am still a Newbie here, I do not have the privilege to upload a picture yet and show you the problem that I am facing.
Old 8th October 2014, 22:34   #2961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post
I understand your problem, but in the initial review itself, GTO had posted the link to the cool team-bhp wallpaper and i just checked out....its a .png image. So u can try converting your images to png format and then uploading.
Regards

Thank you for pointing that out. I must have missed it in GTO's initial review.

I just tried it and works like a charm now.

Thank you once again.

EDIT - I stand corrected. I had so many image files in my usb drive, did not realize it was a bmp image that got uploaded and not the png image.

I just read the Owner' Manual and found this.

* Individual file size limit is 2MB.
* File format allowed is either BMP or JPEG.
* The image is displayed in the middle of the screen with the extra area appearing in black.

Regards,
Amit

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th October 2014 at 01:43. Reason: back to back Posts merged, thanks
AmitKumarVinay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 00:16   #2962
BHPian

Hi all,

After a 900+ km trip which had its share of rough roads, night drives over invisible potholes at highway speeds and the usual smooth tarmac, I'm seeing some rough edges on the quality control at Honda. I get a faint rattle under the dashboard when I drive over bumps and badly patched potholes, and the grinding noise that has been discussed before in this thread has cropped up. Its somewhere near the drivebelt and I feel its one of the bearings of the alternator or some other component that's connected through the belt.

I have also observed that there is a light pulsating vibration on the accelerator pedal. It is almost unnoticeable as vibrations of bad roads mask the actual issue. But once on smooth roads, it can be felt very lightly almost like the vibration of a mobile phone at half intensity + felt through the shoes/footwear you're wearing. It feels like brrrrr....brrrrr.....brrrrr at a frequency of 0.5 - 1Hz ( occurs once between one and 2 seconds)

I haven't had a chance to take the car out again on a longish drive so I don't know how and when this issue can be reproduced. Looking out for anything else so that I can list them during the second service. The car has clocked just under 1500km now.

Anyone else seeing/felt the acc pedal vibration ? Its almost like a lateral vibrarion, which has a horizontal vibrating feel to it, like something is rubbing gently against the pedal within the engine bay.

Last edited by vsathyap : 9th October 2014 at 00:20. Reason: Added more details
vsathyap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 02:56   #2963
BHPian

Hello All ,

I came across something quite concerning. There seems to be a design flaw in the placement of the air intake opening which seems to be too low in the IDTEC engine , hence causing the cars to be standard in shallow waters.

I came across the thread by deetjohn where he reported this issue on the AMAZE and when I checked the internet for cases with the City, I did find one.
However I see that this issue is more reported by the Amaze owners than the City owners. I initially thought that it may be because of better ground clearance however when I cross checked I see that both Amaze and City have the same 165 mm GC. Hence my assumption is that the engine protection cover may be saving the situation to an extent , not sure though.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-amaze.jpg 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-hc.jpg

I assume that none of the owners here faced this dreadful problem (touchwood), its better to be safe than sorry so the strong advice is avoid water laden roads. Even If you see other cars pass by without hiccups the same may not be the case with your IDTec hence take a "u" turn and find another route.

Sigh !! another disappointment .

Related links for your reference.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3552273

http://www.carwale.com/honda-cars/ci...ews/43290.html

Cheers,
pdma.

Last edited by pdma : 9th October 2014 at 03:25. Reason: adding details
pdma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 09:34   #2964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
Hi all,

I get a faint rattle under the dashboard when I drive over bumps and badly patched potholes, and the grinding noise that has been discussed before in this thread has cropped up. Its somewhere near the drivebelt and I feel its one of the bearings of the alternator or some other component that's connected through the belt.

Anyone else seeing/felt the acc pedal vibration ? Its almost like a lateral vibrarion, which has a horizontal vibrating feel to it, like something is rubbing gently against the pedal within the engine bay.
Well, the rattle inside dashboard and the thud sound is common for Honda City at low speeds. This is mainly due to the stiffer suspension setup which aids in good handling (although the skinny stock tires do not help much at high speeds). This not only occurs in the City but has been reported in the new Rapid and probably for the Vento as well. Ciaz scores here well at low speeds, due to the softer suspension setup but do not fare well on handling compared to City. So, we need to live with this. The perfect balance of comfort and handling is possible only in higher end cars.

Yes, I did feel a slight acc pedal vibration but very few times (may be 1 or 2 times). I have done more than 4000 kms now. The vibration occurred on a highway drive on an ascending slope at speed of 60 km/h. The moment i felt the vibration i took my foot off from the pedal for a second and it vanished. I reported this to the service center during second service and they'd a check. After the service, the vibraton hasn't occurred till now.

Last edited by adarsh76 : 9th October 2014 at 09:42.
adarsh76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 10:45   #2965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post
Hello All ,

I came across something quite concerning. There seems to be a design flaw in the placement of the air intake opening which seems to be too low in the IDTEC engine , hence causing the cars to be standard in shallow waters.

However I see that this issue is more reported by the Amaze owners than the City owners. ....my assumption is that the engine protection cover may be saving the situation to an extent , not sure though.
Thats quite concerning to hear.

However last week, I came across pretty rough rains on the NH4 on the way to Bangalore and it was literally raining cats and dogs and many vehicles had stopped along the roadside waiting for the rain intensity to reduce.

I continued slowly at around 70kmph. There were lot of waterlogged sections which were pretty deep and caused the water to splash sideways rather very hard. I must have waded through lot of these water pools collected here and there which were quite deep and it passed through.

Now in hindsight, after reading your post, I'm really interested in knowing exactly how high is the air intake from the ground in the 2014 City ? Its better to know the exact height so that we can take an informed decision on how high a pool of water can be waded through safely.

As far as ground clearance is concerned, the 165mm clubbed with the stiffer suspension makes it super effective in clearing all the humps. Fantastic job by Honda in addressing the ground clearance in the 2014 City.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 9th October 2014 at 10:50.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 11:33   #2966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
The 135/175 Osrams are not simulated HIDs. They are simple high wattage halogens on ceramic holders, with relays and dedicated wiring, running on an 85amp battery. Old school stuff, lots of current, lots of heat, lots of light, and by lord they turn night into day
That is exactly what is called Simulated HID in some international markets. In India, we just refer to it as Higher wattage bulbs which require some relays and additional wiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
I've tried P4 6000K and 7500K on my Scorpio prior to the current setup. It sure looks snazzy but it does not cut it from an illumination point of view. The color of the light is such that it needs to reflect from what is in front of you to make it visible. It works well in congested urban traffic but out on an open road when there is nothing in front of you, you are effectively driving blind. Also, it dazzles the oncoming driver.
There should really be no chance of HIDs in Low beams dazzling the oncoming drivers as the low beams are anyhow directed downwards. I haven't seen anybody complaining about that or warning against that. At most it will have the same effect as the high wattage halogens have on the oncoming drivers.

For the driving blind on open roads, the low beam is directed downwards so the light will always reflect from the surface of the road. So I don't understand how this can happen. If this was the case, we would have had a lot of people reporting this, not just over here but across the world as HIDs are used across the world. Not trying to counter any of your points here.

Since, you gave this suggestion I will look into this. But I still personally feel that if HIDs had that sort of problems, they wouldn't have been selling like hot cakes, not just in Indian market but globally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
Yes, I did feel a slight acc pedal vibration but very few times (may be 1 or 2 times). I have done more than 4000 kms now. The vibration occurred on a highway drive on an ascending slope at speed of 60 km/h. The moment i felt the vibration i took my foot off from the pedal for a second and it vanished. I reported this to the service center during second service and they'd a check. After the service, the vibraton hasn't occurred till now.
I too have noticed Accelerator Pedal vibrations recently but this vibration is generally in 1st to 3rd gear while running above 2.5K RPM in these gears. Now I am not sure if these are regular vibrations as this is my first car and its only the last 2000 odd kms that I have started pushing my car on the RPMs as before that I was kind of a trainee driver I would say. Sometimes this slight vibration can be felt on the gear knob, but as you said this is a very very slight vibration and for me I tend to do the gear-shifting near 2K RPM as much as possible, so never come across this vibration unless I am pushing my vehicle for some over-taking or don't want to change gears frequently in traffic.
tejas08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 16:48   #2967

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
The Diesel Mobilio has an electronic speed limiter which limits the top speed to 140 kmph.
The petrol Mobilio has no such speed restriction. (link to one of the sources )
Thanks ! then the dealer was right wrt that information
Old 9th October 2014, 22:50   #2968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post

I continued slowly at around 70kmph. There were lot of waterlogged sections which were pretty deep and caused the water to splash sideways rather very hard. I must have waded through lot of these water pools collected here and there which were quite deep and it passed through.
Hello for_cars,

From what I read on the other thread opened for discussion on this topic looks like this issue was more on the earlier batches of Honda Amaze and Honda seems to have corrected the same in the later batches.
The actual corrective steps taken is yet to be determined and understood and like many others Iam also glued to that thread for additional details.

Since many of them posted that the issue was noticed and addressed by Honda I assume that they ensured that the same does not reoccur in the similar IDtec used in the City when launched . Hence possible that we do not see any issues reported in the City in the last 9 months post launch except the one reported on carwale that I posted earlier, which could be one of case where the water was too deep ( all assumptions though) .

For the time being looks like we are fine with the current batches (2014) of the IDtec , anyways I will keep looking for any information and will post here if I come across anything new or unexpected.

Cheers,
pdma.
pdma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 00:39   #2969
BHPian

Sorry if this has been already discussed. Can anyone tell me how to blacken that garish chrome bar in the new honda city. Is there any option to get a grey/black bar (like in the new Jazz/Fit) instead of that chrome strip from Honda?
Old 10th October 2014, 01:19   #2970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post
. Can anyone tell me how to blacken that garish chrome bar in the new honda city.
Unfortunately the Jazz grill will not fit on to the city IMO , and just in case it does Iam sure it will cost a bomb.
So far I guess none of the members on the forum has attempted anything to change the look of the grill , however some of them have mentioned that they have been toying with the idea.

I think we can try the option of plasti-dip , its looks to be a very simple DIY and does not cost much.
Just with the proper amount of masking and a few coats the grill should start looking the way you prefer.

Below is the related link to plasti-dip on the forum which has all the information and some nice videos as well.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...d-coating.html

Cheers,
pdma.

Most Viewed