Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2014, 09:23   #3256
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
If you have an iPhone, get the one with WiFi. Bluetooth connection could be a problem with iPhone.
Android users can use Bluetooth module.
Mine is Galaxy S4. So I guess, bluetooth would work. The Torque Application Pro is the one which is a paid software, correct?
Old 24th November 2014, 13:41   #3257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetsubhi View Post
Hi Sumit

Thanks for the pointer. I was able to locate it. Tested and it works. I need to see how to set it up on Torque Pro Application on Android.

Why I'm doing this is that occasionally I see a lot of roughness from my Honda City iDtech - which is not acceptable to me with a car of such a cost.

So wanna do some basic diagnostics and then go bang the Honda guys.

Totally new to OBS world so will have to really work a lot to create reports for Honda guys to work upon.

Thanks again for your help here.

Regards
Harpreet
Hi Harpreet,

I am also in the lookout for trying some OBD communications with Honda City 2014. BTW can you tell me which OBD BT device you purchased and the cost please?
Old 24th November 2014, 14:37   #3258
BHPian

Hi Everyone

I have a generic query, might seem stupid as well.
At night, with headlights on, inside the car I am hardly able to see OVRM button on dashboard.
Not sure if this is an issue with my car only, hence asking, is this button also backlight lit, just like all other buttons on dashboard and steering?

I have an iVTec - V for the record
Old 24th November 2014, 15:44   #3259
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitgovil2311 View Post
Hi Everyone

At night, with headlights on, inside the car I am hardly able to see OVRM button on dashboard.
Not sure if this is an issue with my car only, hence asking, is this button also backlight lit, just like all other buttons on dashboard and steering?

The ORVM adjustment buttons are not backlit. Have no concerns.
Old 24th November 2014, 18:56   #3260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitgovil2311 View Post
Hi Everyone

Well you need to have the spatial orientation and tactile feel to get the orvm buttons at night!! I have made it a habit to close them whenever I park so it's difficult sometimes at night but with time getting used to it. I wish City had automatic orvm which would close automatically once you lock the car and open on unlocking. My friend has this feature in his fiesta and it's quite useful.
Couple of more queries to all friends on forum
- Is RSA really worth it? The dealer was really pressing hard to take it when I gave my car for its first service today. At a price of 6000/- for the five year package I found it reasonable. But is it really worth the investment?
- What is the exact method for activating Cruise Control. I have been successful in activating it only once. After reaching a certain speed,I press the cruise button and then press the 'set' button but somehow it's not working. Any step by step guide for the same?
P.S I have tried this feature only on a stretch of a vacant city road,not been to a highway yet.
Old 24th November 2014, 19:12   #3261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorKK View Post
- Is RSA really worth it? The dealer was really pressing hard to take it when I gave my car for its first service today. At a price of 6000/- for the five year package I found it reasonable. But is it really worth the investment?
- What is the exact method for activating Cruise Control. I have been successful in activating it only once. After reaching a certain speed,I press the cruise button and then press the 'set' button but somehow it's not working. Any step by step guide for the same?
P.S I have tried this feature only on a stretch of a vacant city road,not been to a highway yet.
I have taken the RSA, not really sure if it is actually going to be of any help. Once when I was stuck on NH8 in my SX4 in the early morning, the Maruti helpline proved to be absolutely useless, taking more than an hour to even respond properly. I made my own arrangments through a road side mechanic. So I doubt Honda will be any better since their service network is not strong. But have taken since cost was not too high, you never know.

The Cruise control is quite easy, I have tried number of times. You press the Cruise button and the light comes on. Once you reach desired speed, press set and it is in memory. Then you can increase and decrease speed with only + and - buttons (which are also the Resume and Set buttons). In case you brake or change gear the cruise control is shut off but Cruise mode remains. Just press Resume (+) button and car will again pick up speed to the earlier set level. Be careful though. In case you have set say 80kmph and your speed is at 50kmph and you press resume, it tries to get back to set speed ASAP. I am not sure what would happen if you are on a different gear or something but this is basically how it works. In a way very convenient as you can use the + and - buttons to control speed but also need to be careful. I found that in cruise mode I have to keep my foot right of the accelerator and when I need to brake suddenly, the movement would be more than if my foot had been on the accelerator. And I should not press the accelerator instead of brake. So not sure how safe this is. Maybe not a problem with practice and on highways.
jesrani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 10:10   #3262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
In case you have set say 80kmph and your speed is at 50kmph and you press resume, it tries to get back to set speed ASAP. I am not sure what would happen if you are on a different gear or something but this is basically how it works.
I'm yet to try this out in my CVT. But seems the cruise control mode is more effective on Automatics since there is no worry on the gears.
Old 25th November 2014, 13:09   #3263
BHPian

I finished a long pending Highway drive on my iVtec City V last weekend. Highway behaviour is very different from that in the city. I did 550 odd km on the drive from Bangalore to Masinagudi, in TN. Here are few of my observations:
  1. Very mature highway behaviour. Excellent road presence. Rock solid at 100+ speeds - no rattles, no vibrations.
  2. Steering could be a bit more heavier. Feels very "light" and joysticky even at highway speeds.
  3. Braking is awesome; Excellent bite and it feels like the car just digs into the tarmac - need to be careful as such breaking may lead to the guy behind you rear ending you.
  4. Satisfactory ground clearance, did not scrape even the biggest of humps.(on the famous hump ridden BLR-MYS road)
  5. Suspension feels stiff on tarmac and well cushioned on potholed roads. Could be a little bit softer, but am nitpicking.
  6. Cruise control works like a charm - its use was very limited due to insane traffic, 3 wheelers coming from the opp direction, villagers crossing the highway randomly.
  7. Mileage was pretty decent. I got 17.1 kmpl on the BLR-MYS highway. Considering the number of humps and crazy weekend traffic on the highway, I'm pleased!
  8. Engine feels a bit sluggish on the highway during the initial 1000-2000 RPM range. I felt my Alto K10 had better response to acceleration in this RPM Range. However, rev the City beyond 2000 rpm and it becomes a crazy beast on steroids, specially once it crosses 2500 RPM. I loved the way the iVtec revved till 5500 RPM and didn't break a sweat!
  9. Gear shifts are pretty good - gear changes slot in precisely and feels almost involuntary.
  10. I am on stock Good Year tires and I didn't feel any "lack" of grip or a need for fatter rubber. Road noise was also low, barring a few stretches where the exposed gravel on the tarmac made the ride slightly noisy.
  11. Seating position is very good, but tends to cause very light lower back pain on long stretches. Just stepping out for a 10 min break can do wonders to this.
  12. Driving is stress-free - i didn't feel any fatigue or tiredness even after doing a 2-3 hour continuous stint.
  13. I felt that the right hand needs more elbow support as the door is quite a distance on the right and the 9oclock 3oclock position of my hands meant that the right elbow rested on my thighs, or the door arm rest.. which I had to stretch to reach. This could also be due to my driving / seating position. The left hand is well supported by the armrest in the center.
  14. Horn is pathetic on the highway. Could use an upgrade for the highway. It's adequate for city driving.
  15. Headlights - Low beam is just about good and throw is broad and decent. High beam is pretty useless - throw disappears into the distance and the road is not very well lit.
  16. The city was laden with a full boot, 4 adults and A/C was on all the time during this entire highway journey.

After reading a lot of posts on the perceived quality deterioration from Honda, I was having a bit of a negative cloud in my head that Honda have probably skimped on the new City. But, after driving the car on the highway, that grey feeling is gone completely and I am very happy that I bought a Honda. I don't think there is any other car in this segment that ticks all the boxes one wishes for at this price point - considering the Verna's nauseating back seat drive and high service costs, VW and Skoda's questionable reliability and service (and Maruti's absence in this segment when I booked the car), it's a great buy!

It's still a Honda at heart and that fact was well established during this drive.
vsathyap is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 15:31   #3264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetsubhi View Post
Hi Adarsh
I would recommend to buy a OBD Bluetooth adaptor from eBay. You would also require a mobile phone application to communicate to the OBD adaptor over Bluetooth.
One of the most popular application is Torque Pro.
I'll send you more details.
Regards
Harpreet
Harpreet, did you get this right with the adapter and phone you have? Please let me know which adapter you had bought from ebay.
adarsh76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 23:05   #3265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
Harpreet, did you get this right with the adapter and phone you have? Please let me know which adapter you had bought from ebay.
Yes it works. I tried it with a friends OBD Bluetooth scanner. He had an app on android device to connect via bluetooth.
The app showed RPM, Speed, oil temperature, engine temperature among many other things.
You can also clock 0-100 timing on the app which is fun.
Old 26th November 2014, 09:25   #3266
BHPian

Quote:
I'm yet to try this out in my CVT. But seems the cruise control mode is more effective on Automatics since there is no worry on the gears.
I tried it today for a few times and guess what i'm . It was just like driving a steering wheel toy car. It would be really fun on open roads.

Quote:
Yes it works. I tried it with a friends OBD Bluetooth scanner. He had an app on android device to connect via bluetooth.
The app showed RPM, Speed, oil temperature, engine temperature among many other things.
Sumit, any idea which is a good bluetooth adapter to buy?
Old 26th November 2014, 15:01   #3267
BHPian

Quote:
I too am curious to know the model and approximate price of the OBD BT device and would be happy to know the android app needed to link with that BT device (Hope it normally is suggested by the OBD manufacturer though )
Old 26th November 2014, 15:15   #3268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
I too am curious to know the model and approximate price of the OBD BT device and would be happy to know the android app needed to link with that BT device (Hope it normally is suggested by the OBD manufacturer though )
Quote:
Sumit, any idea which is a good bluetooth adapter to buy?
Its a generic OBD scanner dongle.
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Car-Auto-Mini...item25996e1140

And the app for android is torque.
Its a paid app.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...l.torque&hl=en
SumitBahl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 15:59   #3269
BHPian

Quote:
Its a generic OBD scanner dongle.
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Car-Auto-Mini...item25996e1140

And the app for android is torque.
Its a paid app.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...l.torque&hl=en
Thanks for the info SumitBahl. I have ordered with Ebay.in. Will post the feedback when I receive the OBD.
Seran Manian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 22:50   #3270
BHPian

Quote:
SumitBahl the OBD scanner also provides data like fuel consumption, KM to empty etc. Were you able to validate these readings with the values displayed by the Car Information system? I use same ELM 327 to check these parameters in Etios, just curious to know the accuracy of these devices.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks