Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2014, 22:09   #3316
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM97 View Post
Quick update - Got a call from SA from Magnum Honda, he says that my car will be dispatched on Dec 12th and expected to be delivered to me around Dec 20th. This came as a surprise as I was prepared for a late Jan delivery. Would it make sense to take delivery of the car with a Temporary Registration and then get the car registered in Jan so that it will show as MY 2015 in the RC card.?
Someone was in the same situation as you on the Zest thread and had asked a similar question. It seems the resale value is not on the registration date but the manufacturing date so no sense in waiting unless you wait for 2015 manufactured car. Let someone also answer this though as I am not an expert.
jesrani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2014, 22:17   #3317
BHPian

Quote:
Would it make sense to take delivery of the car with a Temporary Registration and then get the car registered in Jan so that it will show as MY 2015 in the RC card.?
I think the high number of City production is resulting in reduced delivery period.

I think in RC they record the month and year of manufacturing and not the registering date.
AshBabu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2014, 22:45   #3318
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
It seems the resale value is not on the registration date but the manufacturing date so no sense in waiting unless you wait for 2015 manufactured car. Let someone also answer this though as I am not an expert.
Quote:
Quick update - Got a call from SA from Magnum Honda, he says that my car will be dispatched on Dec 12th and expected to be delivered to me around Dec 20th. This came as a surprise as I was prepared for a late Jan delivery. Would it make sense to take delivery of the car with a Temporary Registration and then get the car registered in Jan so that it will show as MY 2015 in the RC card.?
The date of registration and the month and year of manufacture, both are explicitly mentioned on the RC. Hence, it makes no sense to wait. In any case, the whole idea of December cars having lower resale is hokum. It is a tactic to make extra money, as car prices are invariably increased by a few grand every January.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 09:34   #3319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
New engine oil 4.5l - 2000
Oil filter - 500
Air filter - 600
Diesel filter- 1500
Labor - 2250
Shreyans, it's not just Honda, service costs for any Diesel car is on the higher side especially in this segment. Amaze is one segment down despite having the same engine.

However, did you check the labor costs displayed in the Service Centre or on the job card. Make sure they have not overcharged you with labor cost. A particular dealership cannot increase labor charges on their own. These charges are fixed by Honda and should be the same across India. If you find a discrepancy, write a mail to Honda.
Old 3rd December 2014, 13:36   #3320
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
Shreyans, it's not just Honda, service costs for any Diesel car is on the higher side especially in this segment. Amaze is one segment down despite having the same engine.

However, did you check the labor costs displayed in the Service Centre or on the job card. Make sure they have not overcharged you with labor cost. A particular dealership cannot increase labor charges on their own. These charges are fixed by Honda and should be the same across India. If you find a discrepancy, write a mail to Honda.
All costs are verified, they have not overcharged.

I have been driving diesels for over a decade, I know very well how much they should reasonably cost to maintain.

The diesel filter of my Scorpio for instance costs all of 450 bucks. Its oil filter is around 150 bucks or so.

Lets not forget Honda enjoys absolute monopoly in spare parts for the iDTEC, and the engine oil used is proprietary to boot. Even if you want to, you cant get the car serviced outside. You wont get parts, oil neither. Honda was one of the companies that was rapped by CCI for these malpractices.

Charging more for a supposedly higher segment car is a ridiculous argument. Both City and Amaze share the same engine. Service involves replacing identical fluids and parts using identical processes and tools by common mechanics and it takes the same amount of time too. Why should then the City owner pay extra?

FYI, the labour charges for the diesel City are almost identical to those for the Accord and CRV.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 3rd December 2014 at 13:41.
Old 4th December 2014, 09:56   #3321
BHPian

Quote:

I just got my service done and the Oil filter cost 393/- not sure how you ended up paying 500/-. You should get this checked.
Old 4th December 2014, 13:03   #3322

Quote:
Hey PM... is it petrol or diesel? i have been waiting for 2+ months for VMT petrol. SA (magnum honda) yesterday said they have received a huge chunk of diesel and no petrol allocation for this month. i thought honda would dispatch cars based on models requested... i have been asked to wait another month now.. not sure how much to believe here. i wish honda had a tracking mechanism themselves instead of relying on the dealers..
Old 4th December 2014, 19:32   #3323

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishboneAsh View Post
Hey PM... is it petrol or diesel? i have been waiting for 2+ months for VMT petrol. SA (magnum honda) yesterday said they have received a huge chunk of diesel and no petrol allocation for this month. i thought honda would dispatch cars based on models requested... i have been asked to wait another month now.. not sure how much to believe here. i wish honda had a tracking mechanism themselves instead of relying on the dealers..
Mine is a Petrol VX CVT. I thought Honda would be manufacturing the vehicles based on the bookings received from dealers around the country. The only logical explanation I have for the delay of your car is probably the color choice and trim level that requires something not in their stock..
Old 4th December 2014, 19:32   #3324
BHPian

I am about to book a VMT (P) and told the sales exec that I will take Delivery in early or late Feb and hence would want a 2015 manufactured vehicle, to which the guy said yes. However I was puzzled when he said that 2015 manufactured vehicles will be available from end of December onwards . He stated that vehicles will be delivered to him within 4-5 of being manufactured and all those will be 2015 manufactured, which can be decoded from VIN number. Now is this true? 2015 manufactured and being sold in late Dec 2014?
Old 4th December 2014, 19:40   #3325

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeledsoul View Post
I am about to book a VMT (P) and told the sales exec that I will take Delivery in early or late Feb and hence would want a 2015 manufactured vehicle, to which the guy said yes. However I was puzzled when he said that 2015 manufactured vehicles will be available from end of December onwards . He stated that vehicles will be delivered to him within 4-5 of being manufactured and all those will be 2015 manufactured, which can be decoded from VIN number. Now is this true? 2015 manufactured and being sold in late Dec 2014?
According to my SA @ Magnum/Bangalore, the 2015 MY City wont be out till March 2015 or so. While I don't completely trust the SA on this issue, I don't think there will be any difference in the MY 14 and MY 15 City. If you are going to wait for 2015 purely for future resale value, I think there are many other factors (like kms driven, overall maintenance, color choice, etc.) that dictate the resale value.
Old 6th December 2014, 16:54   #3326
BHPian

Well it looks like I'm also going to book the city i-vtec. When I enquired about the 2015 make model yesterday, their SA said that they will be able to deliver the car in last week of Jan or in Feb. So I guess Honda has something in place that makes them able to send their cars quicker to their dealers. Or maybe they don't make too many cars in the month of December and ramp up the production in Jan to meet the demand. Inside news anyone?

And one question to petrol City owners. What is the real life fuel efficiency in the city with ac on all the time.
Old 6th December 2014, 20:18   #3327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
And one question to petrol City owners. What is the real life fuel efficiency in the city with ac on all the time.
As you know, mileage really depends on the driving style and conditions. Below is the city mileage I have got till now. Yet to check the mileage after the final free service in which the engine oil was changed.

Below are the FE values observed in my VX CVT IVTEC. Car has done 5500 kms+ so far.

MID Values
Bumper to Bumper : 8.0 to 9.1 kms/l. During the first 1000 kms, the mileage was as low as 6.9 kms/l.
Normal City Traffic : 11 kms/l to 14.2 kms/l

Manual Calculation
Overall Mileage : 12.2 kms/l
adarsh76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 22:00   #3328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
Mileage of the City in the city for me is 10.3 as averaged between three full tank to full tank filling and surprisingly similar to the number shown in the MID. This was bordering bumper to bumper conditions, the car being driven most of the time in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears for about 15 kilometers on a working day. AC was on at all times, the temperature set at 24 degrees which was actually hotter than the ambient Bangalore temperatures during this period.

Mine is the iVTEC SV, ODO reading went from 1600 to 2200+ in this timeframe.
sun_king is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2014, 10:58   #3329
BHPian

Surprisingly lower than what I expected.
I was hoping that the city, even in bumper to bumper traffic will give 12-13.
Just to check :
Was the Tyre pressure set to 30?
Do you use engine breaking often or ride the clutch while breaking?
Were you always alone or carrying full load??

It's probably the 1.6 l engine that's too powerful for crawling around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun_king View Post
Mileage of the City in the city for me is 10.3 as averaged between three full tank to full tank filling and surprisingly similar to the number shown in the MID. This was bordering bumper to bumper conditions, the car being driven most of the time in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears for about 15 kilometers on a working day. AC was on at all times, the temperature set at 24 degrees which was actually hotter than the ambient Bangalore temperatures during this period.

Old 7th December 2014, 11:21   #3330
BHPian

Quote:
As you know, mileage really depends on the driving style and conditions. Below is the city mileage I have got till now. Yet to check the mileage after the final free service in which the engine oil was changed.

Below are the FE values observed in my VX CVT IVTEC. Car has done 5500 kms+ so far.

MID Values
Bumper to Bumper : 8.0 to 9.1 kms/l. During the first 1000 kms, the mileage was as low as 6.9 kms/l.
Normal City Traffic : 11 kms/l to 14.2 kms/l

Manual Calculation
Overall Mileage : 12.2 kms/l
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun_king View Post

First of all thanks a lot for your prompt reply. So will it be wise to go for petrol. I'm basically inclined more towards petrol because of the power to weight ratio and some fun to drive factor. Howmuch fun is it to drive the petrol city in your opinion. Considering I'm upgrading from Polo, this is an important aspect for me. The diesel atleast on paper seems very sluggish compared to the competition. Haven't had a test drive of the diesel though.

Last edited by Carpainter : 7th December 2014 at 11:23.

Most Viewed