Team-BHP - 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-251.html)

I think I'm having an issue with my car that has not been discussed here before. So I request other MT i-vtec owners to share their experience in this regard. The problem is, in 3rd gear when I'm taking my foot off the pedal, the gear lever is vibrating a little bit and you can feel it if you keep your hand on the lever but when I'm accelerating, the gear lever stays normal like it should. I don't know if this vibration is visible or not without touching it because frankly I haven't seen yet. Remember this happens only in 3rd gear. In any other gear the lever stays normal be it in acceleration or not. I'll report this issue in first service but before that, it would be nice to know if this is common across model or specific to my car only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain (Post 3671031)
Suspensions will not be replaced under warranty. Tata will cooperate but certainly not Honda. These are wear and tear parts, their life depends on the quality of components used and the abuse they are subjected to.

Tire size does not play a very major role in it, unless you put in something absolutely humongous, low profile and extra-extra wide. Difference in weight of the stock tire and something like 195/60R15 is hardly anything. In fact, the better cushioning provided by bigger tires coupled with lower air pressures should lessen the wear and tear of the parts.

From the looks of things, Honda seems to have compromised with the quality of the suspension components. At 30k km, I have also started to feel extra thuds from the front, as if the jumping rod bushes are shot. This is in a car that is driven almost exclusively on good highways. In contrast, the suspension of my Jazz is still as good as new even after over 60k km with plenty of abuse.

I will check with SA if they were able to replace any suspensions under warranty coverage approved by Honda.

I did ask specifically on the tyre size of those cars where the suspensions were replaced. What he said there were both sizes of 195 and 205. Most of the replaced ones were of the 3rd gen City and there were a 3 or 4 of the New City as well.

On the contrary the thud sounds in my car is reduced noticeably. In fact, when the car is full the thud sound is very less and if I drive alone it's a bit more prominent.

Front suspensions of my earlier car (Accent) lasted till 95000 kms. I upsized the tyre from 175 to 185 at 85000 kms, but did not reduce the tyre pressures. Probably that's the reason it lasted only for 10000 more kms.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carpainter (Post 3671089)
I think I'm having an issue with my car that has not been discussed here before. So I request other MT i-vtec owners to share their experience in this regard. The problem is, in 3rd gear when I'm taking my foot off the pedal, the gear lever is vibrating a little bit and you can feel it if you keep your hand on the lever but when I'm accelerating, the gear lever stays normal like it should. I don't know if this vibration is visible or not without touching it because frankly I haven't seen yet. Remember this happens only in 3rd gear. In any other gear the lever stays normal be it in acceleration or not. I'll report this issue in first service but before that, it would be nice to know if this is common across model or specific to my car only.

OMG! Same issue since i got my SV MT iVTec mfd in March 2015 - 3rd service is also done and issue persists but its nothing much so i havent reported it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carpainter (Post 3671089)

I had the same issue in the 3rd gear, vibrations especially in low rpm. I pursued the complaint since the first service. Finally got it replaced under warranty in the third service. The service mechanic verified there is a problem. It's the synchronizer and the gear sleeve, both replaced under warranty. It's still a rare complaint because not many owners pay attention to it. But plz get it replaced asap. The total cost was around 12k all covered.
The car is awesome after that. Low rpm no issues at all and overall has become really smooth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepakv (Post 3671099)
OMG! Same issue since i got my SV MT iVTec mfd in March 2015 - 3rd service is also done and issue persists but its nothing much so i havent reported it.

How come your car has completed 3rd service if it's manufactured in Mar'15? A typo I guess. Either way, have you ever asked the service advisor about the issue and if so, what was the reply?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastraj (Post 3671117)
I had the same issue in the 3rd gear, vibrations especially in low rpm. I pursued the complaint since the first service. Finally got it replaced under warranty in the third service. The service mechanic verified there is a problem. It's the synchronizer and the gear sleeve, both replaced under warranty. It's still a rare complaint because not many owners pay attention to it. But plz get it replaced asap. The total cost was around 12k all covered.

Oh God! Exactly what I feared. But how do I explain it to them if they say that this is common and nothing to worry about. I just can't ignore it because I simply can't live with any imperfection in my car.:Frustrati

BTW, this is another niggle in the new Honda City or was it there in the previous one. CrazyDriver, are you listening!

OMG! I have the same issue.
I gave the car today for first paid service and reported this issue to Technician. He told me it's normal with every car and I ignored it as I haven't had any issues with such vibrations. But, after knowing that its not normal and need to be rectified, i am bit concerned.

The car is still in service centre , will pay a visit tomorrow and insist on the replacement.
Thanks fastraj for brining this up!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastraj (Post 3671117)
The car is awesome after that. Low rpm no issues at all and overall has become really smooth.

Any idea on the replacement procedure? Do they have to open the gearbox? Can we trust the dealer technicians ( pride honda, Miyapur, Hyderabad)? Please advise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adarsh76 (Post 3671094)
On the contrary the thud sounds in my car is reduced noticeably. In fact, when the car is full the thud sound is very less and if I drive alone it's a bit more prominent.

Front suspensions of my earlier car (Accent) lasted till 95000 kms. I upsized the tyre from 175 to 185 at 85000 kms, but did not reduce the tyre pressures. Probably that's the reason it lasted only for 10000 more kms.

Thuds reduce on account of the better cushioning provided by the tires. But the fact that the suspension has started making funny noises this early is not a great sign. I expected better as my other Honda is, well, perfect.

The idea behind reducing the tire pressures is again to improve the ride comfort. The more you drop it, the comfier it gets. But then, overdo it and the car starts consuming more fuel and pick up drops too. Plus, it will start scraping. You have to find your sweet spot as per your driving conditions and the load the car carries. Right now, I am keeping it at 28psi in all four.

Quote:

Originally Posted by feroz_009 (Post 3671472)
Any idea on the replacement procedure? Do they have to open the gearbox? Can we trust the dealer technicians ( pride honda, Miyapur, Hyderabad)? Please advise.

Yes Feroz , they will open the gear box and keep the car for 2 to 3 days because they need to click photographs of the faulty parts and send them to Honda for approval. After approval, the parts arrive and thats when they install it. In my case that was the first time they encountered this problem, so a bit of r&d had to be done. But for you u could cut down on the time and specify your problem in detail to the service manager and the mechanic. Just remember the gear synchronizer and the sleeve. The problem can be convinced on a proper trial run. All the best.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain (Post 3671486)

The idea behind reducing the tire pressures is again to improve the ride comfort. The more you drop it, the comfier it gets. But then, overdo it and the car starts consuming more fuel and pick up drops too. Plus, it will start scraping. You have to find your sweet spot as per your driving conditions and the load the car carries. Right now, I am keeping it at 28psi in all four.

There is a high risk of Tyre Burst happening (especially on highway runs) if the Tyre pressure is maintained at less than the recommended values.

Its better to stick to manufacturer recommended tyre pressure PSI values. Lower pressure will cause tyre side wall flexing and heat build up and lead to a Tyre Burst.
The Tyre pressure should be set higher by 2 to 3 PSI if you plan to do high speeds or if the car is fully loaded. The idea is to minimize tyre side wall flexing.

I agree with for-cars, I maintain a lower psi only in the city where the roads are bad. This gives a cushion ride. But maintain 30 front and 28 at the back. I did this on the stock 175, but after upgrading to 195 3st there is no need for it. Now I am on 32front and 30 back. Highways and full load plz increase the psi by 2 or 3

Quote:

Originally Posted by for_cars1 (Post 3671820)
There is a high risk of Tyre Burst happening (especially on highway runs) if the Tyre pressure is maintained at less than the recommended values.

Its better to stick to manufacturer recommended tyre pressure PSI values. Lower pressure will cause tyre side wall flexing and heat build up and lead to a Tyre Burst.
The Tyre pressure should be set higher by 2 to 3 PSI if you plan to do high speeds or if the car is fully loaded. The idea is to minimize tyre side wall flexing.

It is fashionable for manufacturers to 'recommend' undersize tires with extra pressures for India. Suits them in the interest of costs, GC and FE. If you consider the recommended pressures of the non-budget cars as sold in Europe or US, they are generally less than 30psi, especially in comfort oriented cars.

What you are saying is 100% correct for mass market Indian cars and the kind of rubber they come with.

However, the tires in question here are V rated for speed with a temperature rating of A. Failure at speed due to heat build-up is the last thing I am worried about.

Hi everyone
I was thinking of changing the rear door speakers in my new city since they are under powered. The sound in the front is amazing but you can clearly note the difference one you sit in the back.
So i am considering Infinity 6502ix and Polk Audio DB651 for the rear doors. I'll be running the stock ICE and i also don't want to put an amp. Could any one suggest which one's to go for and since i am not going for an amp, can i expect better results than the stock speakers ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nishchal316 (Post 3673270)
... I'll be running the stock ICE and i also don't want to put an amp. Could any one suggest which one's to go for and since i am not going for an amp, can i expect better results than the stock speakers ?

All the ICE Gurus on the forum (am NOT one :)) will advice you as follows

1. Listen to both the brands and pick the one you like, as the sound signature will be different for both.
2. Infinity will be an overkill if you retain stock HU and not adding an amp. Polk too (to some extent, considering it's NOT as expensive as Infinity).
3. Better speakers might give you a better sound, but it will never be worth your money with stock items driving those.
4. Personally, I'll have the better (new) speakers in the front and move the current front speakers to the rear (assuming rear are also component speakers).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vrrooommm (Post 3577235)
My car's dashboard ... Sound is coming from somewhere in the center, near to ICE. Strange that it started after completing 10k km, just like yours.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vrrooommm (Post 3633732)
In my case
1 . the audible rattle near the AC vents were because of the loose plastic cover between the font wind shield and hood.

where is this loose plastic cover exactly, it it inside the dashboard, somewhere around the middle ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumitgovil2311 (Post 3577750)
I too have experienced the same. As you said, sound seems to be coming from somewhere in the center, as if some nut screw has come out and is constantly vibrating.

I have exactly the same minor sound coming from somewhere in the center of the dashboard behind the AC vents. Sometimes I hear it, after going over a pothole or over a bump. Its not a rattle but sounds like a loose nut or screw moving around over plastic.

I took it to the service center and did a test drive to demonstrate the sound to them. However hard I tried, was not able to reproduce this sound from the dashboard to them :Frustrati. The dashboard was absolutely silent on all bad roads and bumps i took it over to show them the sound during the drive.

Now I don't hear the sound anymore, hope it stays like that.
I just don't want to get dashboard opened unless the source of the sound can be pin-pointed 100%

Overall, it has been great (touch wood). Fantastic low end torque and drivability at all speeds, very good underbody design and ground clearance with full load, stable, comfortable and fuel efficient. Honda has definitely taken all inputs specific to Indian conditions and have applied them to this car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain (Post 3671031)
Suspensions will not be replaced under warranty. Tata will cooperate but certainly not Honda. These are wear and tear parts, their life depends on the quality of components used and the abuse they are subjected to.

Tire size does not play a very major role in it, unless you put in something absolutely humongous, low profile and extra-extra wide. Difference in weight of the stock tire and something like 195/60R15 is hardly anything. In fact, the better cushioning provided by bigger tires coupled with lower air pressures should lessen the wear and tear of the parts.

I had a talk again to SA today. Went to the service center to replace my horns for the second time, again under warranty.

As per SA, faulty suspensions will be replaced within the warranty period of 40,000 kms provided there is no change to the standard car tyre size.

The replaced suspensions will get warranty of another 40,000 kms again provided there is no change to the standard car tyre size.

We can opt for other aftermarket suspensions without affecting the warranty of the other parts of the car.