Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2015, 15:03   #3781
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Partial Extract from Honda's Press Release on the Monthly Sales of March-2015.

"HCIL registers highest ever monthly sales of 22,696 units in March 2015.

With a record sales of 9,777 units in a single month, the 4th generation Honda City crossed the fastest 1-lakh cumulative sales mark in just 15 months and registered 101,299 units sales since its launch in January 2014.

Driven by strong sales momentum for its cars throughout the year, the company posted its highest ever annual domestic sales of 189,062 units during FY 2014 – 15 recording 41% growth over last financial year. The company had sold 1,34,339 units during FY 2013 – 14."

Link to the Press Release below:

https://www.hondacarindia.com/mediac...aspx?pr_id=336
tejas08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 16:01   #3782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post

With a record sales of 9,777 units in a single month, the 4th generation Honda City crossed the fastest 1-lakh cumulative sales mark in just 15 months and registered 101,299 units sales since its launch in January 2014.
Yes. I read it in Indian Autos Blog Site too. It sure is a great achievement for Honda India. City and Amaze have given them a place in the Indian Automobile market that Honda was not able to reach all these years.

Many of the City 2014 buyers in our forum will not regret their decision to go for a Honda City or Amaze I hope.
Old 4th April 2015, 08:25   #3783
BHPian

No wonder I see more Honda City 2014's on the road than the likes of Rapid, Vento & Verna put together.

At one hand, I am happy that the car I own is No.1 in its segment, at the other hand a tad peeved it is becoming ubiquitous.

Quote:

Old 4th April 2015, 09:07   #3784
Team-BHP Support

Honda City : Official Review

Quote:

Really shows the faith the market has in the City. Alto for the small car segment, Swift for the B segment hatch, i20 for the premium hatch, DZire for compact sedan, Innova for MUV and the Honda City for the sedan segment have all become ubiquitous with the segment itself.

Hope they concentrate more on quality and retain this good will over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
BTW, this is another niggle in the new Honda City or was it there in the previous one. CrazyDriver, are you listening!

I haven't seen this issue with the old city. But we have many members here who own both the versions- and they would be in a better position to comment on this.

Considering it is a known issue with the syncromesh, which is not exactly cheap to fix (12k INR) outside of warranty- better to get it claimed soon. Syncroniser ring is prone to wear and tear anyways and a clunky one could wear out faster.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 13:47   #3785

Hi BHPians,

I had booked a Honda City VX CVT on 27th Feb'15. I got the tentative date of delivery on the 23rd March which got delayed to 3rd April. Then I was told that according to Honda's dispatch list which comes on 3rd of every month, my car can't be delivered before 30th April. I was so frustrated with this delay that I decided to call up Honda and narrate this entire story. They happily lodged a complaint but then I thought it's all about relationship management. What if the dealer tries to vent out his frustration of the complaint on my car? So then I call up the SA's Manager. The guy was very honest and explained me the entire process. He convinced me that he was on my side and that he will try to negotiate with Honda by telling them they are not happy with the dispatch plan. I was convinced but my real motive was to let him know that I had already started to create urgency by calling Honda. The guy was virtually paralyzed after hearing this. He says this goes very negative and was urging me to withdraw the complaimt. That was my moment. I told him that I will withdraw the complaint but he needs to be a little more proactive. He agreed.
Though the call ended on a good note I am still a bit sceptical about that call with Honda. I have withdrawn my complaint now
Old 4th April 2015, 18:37   #3786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivn View Post
No wonder I see more Honda City 2014's on the road than the likes of Rapid, Vento & Verna put together.

At one hand, I am happy that the car I own is No.1 in its segment, at the other hand a tad peeved it is becoming ubiquitous.
No surprise, there is simply no other car in this segment which can be said as a good family sedan as well as a good performer with a comparatively lower cost of maintenance.

The real competition starts once the Toyota launches its Vios.
adarsh76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 19:25   #3787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Great Feat that The car seems to continue its dream run at the market . Its a great combination of features and brand faith driving the numbers.
Old 5th April 2015, 12:30   #3788
BHPian

Quote:
Adarsh76 / Outdoorlover

How much weight difference do you think is there between a 175/65 R15 & a 195/60 R15?

The point I am trying to express here is the weight difference between the 175/65 & 195/60 profile tyres is negligible to make any impact on the suspensions. Sorry for not being able to put this in a more clear manner. I am not fully able to express what I want to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
What you are referring to is the sprung weight of the car, while tyres contribute to the unsprung weight- and therefore the effects on suspension behaviour is totally different. Unsprung weight is usually considered a lot worse than sprung weight in terms of suspension damages.

However, i do agree with you that it doesn't make a big difference in this particular scenario. A wider tyre on alloy wheels might even be lighter than the steel wheels on the lesser variants for which the suspension is already designed for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
Agree with you. It will not make any difference with a wider tyre and alloy wheels. But i dont think the difference will be 5kgs per tyre either. When width increases, you are obviously going to use a narrow side wall. It may not be 5kgs. Will be much much lesser than that.
As CrazyDriver explained, unsprung weights do definitely have a major influence on the suspension reliability characteristics of the vehicle. Coupled with increase in contact patch area (due to wider section) and lesser tyre sidewall height, we can say with a good probability that the load on the suspension, especially in Indian road conditions, will be higher. Maybe Honda's margin of safety is not very high in terms of the suspension components that they may have used, hence, the advisory as to not change the recommended tyre size!
Old 5th April 2015, 14:23   #3789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asivan View Post
As CrazyDriver explained, unsprung weights do definitely have a major influence on the suspension reliability characteristics of the vehicle. Coupled with increase in contact patch area (due to wider section) and lesser tyre sidewall height, we can say with a good probability that the load on the suspension, especially in Indian road conditions, will be higher. Maybe Honda's margin of safety is not very high in terms of the suspension components that they may have used, hence, the advisory as to not change the recommended tyre size!
I think we all are missing a point here. No manufacturer or Dealer will ever officially say you can upgrade the tyres and that will not affect the suspension. Not Honda, Not VW or Hyundai or anybody.

I have been still on the luckier side to here from the SA that you can go for wider tyres but do not change the radial size. Again that is verbal. So that does not stand as official. Its just that since Honda City was provided with under sized tyres that we are discussing this topic, else this issue would not have cropped up so much.
Old 5th April 2015, 20:11   #3790
BHPian

Quote:
I think we all are missing a point here. No manufacturer or Dealer will ever officially say you can upgrade the tyres and that will not affect the suspension. Not Honda, Not VW or Hyundai or anybody.
Agree with you. Officially I don't think any dealer will give in writing that tyre upgrading will not impact warranty. I have visited all three Honda dealers in Chennai when I was looking to change my car in Jan 15. All the SA in these dealers were aware of the upgrade and nowhere I was dissuaded not to go for upgrade. In fact, to all these dealers I have specifically raised this question and informed them of my intention to upgrade tyres immediately on my purchase.
Old 6th April 2015, 00:54   #3791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickACM View Post
Hi BHPians,

I had booked a Honda City VX CVT on 27th Feb'15. I got the tentative date of delivery on the 23rd March which got delayed to 3rd April. Then I was told that according to Honda's dispatch list which comes on 3rd of every month, my car can't be delivered before 30th April. I was so frustrated with this delay that I decided to call up Honda and narrate this entire story. They happily lodged a complaint but then I thought it's all about relationship management. What if the dealer tries to vent out his frustration of the complaint on my car? So then I call up the SA's Manager. The guy was very honest and explained me the entire process. He convinced me that he was on my side and that he will try to negotiate with Honda by telling them they are not happy with the dispatch plan. I was convinced but my real motive was to let him know that I had already started to create urgency by calling Honda. The guy was virtually paralyzed after hearing this. He says this goes very negative and was urging me to withdraw the complaimt. That was my moment. I told him that I will withdraw the complaint but he needs to be a little more proactive. He agreed.
Though the call ended on a good note I am still a bit sceptical about that call with Honda. I have withdrawn my complaint now
I don't think there was any need to be scared of and withdraw your complaint. I had used the same technique to get my VX CVT in less than a month in Feb 2014 when wait times were around 4 months. In fact I got VIP treatment from the dealer after I had approached Honda.
Old 6th April 2015, 19:30   #3792

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
I don't think there was any need to be scared of and withdraw your complaint. I had used the same technique to get my VX CVT in less than a month in Feb 2014 when wait times were around 4 months. In fact I got VIP treatment from the dealer after I had approached Honda.
Something seemed to have work. I just received a call from the dealer asking me to submit the loan documents and make the balance payment tommorow as he is trying to push for an early delivery. When I asked him why he needs the payment first, he told me that in case someone cancels, it'll be easy for him to expedite things if all my documents/formalities are complete

Should I make the final payment now or hold on to some amount and make the final payment after Allotment/PDI?
Old 6th April 2015, 22:07   #3793
BHPian

Quote:
Something seemed to have work. I just received a call from the dealer asking me to submit the loan documents and make the balance payment tommorow as he is trying to push for an early delivery. When I asked him why he needs the payment first, he told me that in case someone cancels, it'll be easy for him to expedite things if all my documents/formalities are complete

Should I make the final payment now or hold on to some amount and make the final payment after Allotment/PDI?
Make the payment if you want the car. It's your way of making the complete commitment. You can hint that after making the complete payment you will still want to inspect the car, check the vin number and finally ensure that you are getting the model you like. Ask them what kind of paperwork will be completed? Also hint that after asking for full payment if the car is not seen in a couple of weeks then it looks even worse on the dealer. A complaint has more teeth if the dealership has asked you and you have made the complete payment.
Old 7th April 2015, 07:24   #3794
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is an usual trick played by all the dealers across different manufacturers.

Do not pay the full amount. Once you do - you are pretty much at their mercy while they happily earn interest from your money. Always better to pay the amount once the PDI is done, or atleast after they allocate you the VIN of the vehicle. 'Incase if someone cancels' is not commitment.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 07:29   #3795
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I would not recommend releasing full payment till you get a Vin allotment and have a clear confirmation on expected date of delivery. Once you make the payment, then you lose any advantage you have and if the dealer continues to delay, there is nothing you can do. You can complete the man formalities but make sure that the loan company does not hand over the cheque without an allotment. Ideally this cannot happen, but there was a thread here recently where the loan company released payment and even started deducting the emi before the car was allotted/ delivered.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed