Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2015, 13:03   #4141
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
Regarding the service bill, it doesn't include alignment and balancing. It includes service charge, engine oil, brake pads and discs, oil filter, air filter, A/c filter and tax. The bill also includes two extra things a brake service which is Rs. 500 and a nitrogen fill up which is Rs. 500. Even if I don't opt for the above two it would still cost me about 12.5k.
Can you post a snap of your Service Bill? I have a doubt of overcharging here. Also, this is which service? 20K Kms or 30K Kms?

The Air Filter change as per Manual is 30K Kms / 18 Months. At least for the Manual Petrol. Not sure about the CVT but don't think it should be any different.
Old 15th August 2015, 13:09   #4142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
Can you post a snap of your Service Bill? I have a doubt of overcharging here. Also, this is which service? 20K Kms or 30K Kms?

The Air Filter change as per Manual is 30K Kms / 18 Months. At least for the Manual Petrol. Not sure about the CVT but don't think it should be any different.
Have just got a service estimate. Haven't done the service since they are demanding 2-3 days to get the service done, alternator and discs changed.

I am not surprised at the bill since the 3rd free service costed me about 5k. This is the 4th service 1.5 years/20k kms.

The air filter is pretty dirty and clogged have cleaned thrice already. Its pretty dusty here plus my house is near a construction area so the dust is in a huge quantity.

Would also like to burst the baloon now. Have got an offer for the car a real good one. In fact, so good that i would lose next to no money. So have booked another car ( would like to keep it under wraps) if everything materializes would be posting here on tuesday a pic of the new car.

Would like to thank Honda for one thing. Thank you for increasing the prices. Their price increase helped me get the invoice value for my car back. Bought my car for around 9.9 - 10 now it costs 11.5.

Got 9.35L for my car without insurance and service done( would have costed around 45-50k)

Last edited by rockporiom : 15th August 2015 at 13:22.
rockporiom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 13:45   #4143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got 9.35L for my car without insurance and service done( would have costed around 45-50k)
That was quick man, i was about to write a post asking if you were just interested in selling it since there were so many issues and you were getting frustrated with recurring problems. You already closed the chapter

Can we know if the next car is a sedan or some suv/crossover, you can reveal this much lol.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 14:50   #4144
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Strange thing is some of these issues were present in my Kizashi as well Can't believe my luck is so damn bad. Planning to get some puja's and havan's done now as suggested by A4anurag.
Buddy, can understand its frustrating to have issues with two car purchases. But I don't think religious route will take you anywhere.

From what I read - all the issues mentioned are common issues for the City. And ones that have solution as well.

I'm not sure if your version is V CVT or SV CVT. If SV, then no use getting the Bluetooth mic replaced. The problem is with the positioning along with the ac vents.

Alternator belt grinding issue is common as well. Just that you need to get on their nerves to ensure work is done faster. Atleast a few members have got it done under warranty (but if I remember properly- it's not a permanent fix)

Thuds from suspension were reported by many members as well. If I remember correctly - member adarsh from trivandrum is one of the members who got it fixed and may be can suggest a solution.

Dashboard rattles are common as well. Would suggest not to try and fix it. Opening the dashboard almost always introduces more rattles than it fixes.

You are not the only member to have a combination of these issues happening in a single car, as the post above says. Can point out few other members as well, but mostly it's from the 2014 batches. Religious faith cant help much here unless the dealer attitude and Honda's support changes.

EDIT: Just saw the above posts. Sold the car? Congrats on your new car. Hope it treats you well.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th August 2015 at 14:53.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 17:31   #4145
BHPian

Have been inactive on this thread for a while but here are some points which I had put on RavenAvi's thread. I will further update with my service costs and insurance cost till date once I get all the bills together.

Also, I totally agree with the Honda quality going a number of rungs down. As I have mentioned on a couple of other threads, my Dzire feels higher in quality than my new City (I have a V-petrol purchased in March 2014 run only 8-9k km till date). Obviously the driving experience and pleasure can't be compared but some niggling issues on my City are:

1. Driver's seat automatically comes down from previous setting over a few days - ASS mentions that they checked it thoroughly and found nothing wrong... ignored thereon.

2. Gear shift, especially into 2nd gear: I can actually appreciate Honda for building my left forearm over the past 1 year! ASS says to flush the clutch and it will go away but obviously nothing changes... ignored thereon.

3. Reverse camera fell off and was dangling at a mall one day: I shoved it back into position and it happened a number of times. ASS says this normally happens in external fittings! I was like DUDE - this is a factory installed component! Get your variants correct. Apparently they put some latch in there to solve the issue but hasn't got totally fixed. Again a complaint in next service.

4. Dicky not opening with internal lever: Apparently some bolts had broken and they replaced it by charging my some Rs 300.

5. Noises, creaks, squeaks: ASS says "saar Mumbai mein itna aawaaz toh theek hai"! Jugaad - my audio volume is now 3 levels higher than usual.

Many more small issues here and there not faced in my Dzire which feels rock-solid. Quality has come down for sure from earlier generations of Honda. I hope they rectify this over next 2-3 years when it would be time for me to upgrade.

However, having cribbed above, the driving pleasure is awesome and makes me forget most of above issues. It's just an amazing experience to drive this car whilst experiencing the power and music (read: engine noise) and acceleration.

Last edited by avdhesh15 : 17th August 2015 at 17:34. Reason: additional point on driving experience
avdhesh15 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 19:48   #4146
BHPian

Not really good to see these niggles coming in a car which is costlier enough and have a brand image in India.

Well, I'm on the lucky side so far. Mine is May 2014 IVTEC VX CVT. The car has done close to 14,000 kms from the last 1 year and 3 months and faced 4 below niggles and their current status:

1. Alternator Belt Noise - Occurred within about 1500 kms (within initial 2 monthsof purchase ) and the belt was replaced. Never resurfaced till now.

2. Accelerator pedal vibration: This occurred mostly during a heavy foot driving on uphill slopes frequently. Mentioned this to A.S.S at about 5000 kms within initial 3 months or so I guess (don't exactly remember). This has not resurfaced since then barring 1 or 2 occasions but not as prominent it was occurring before. No issues since the last 6 months or so.

3. Door Automatically Unlocking - This occurred within 1 month of purchase. The front side driver lock was getting automatically unlocked at low speeds on bumpy surfaces. The dealership (Perfect Honda) service from where I purchased the car couldn't identify or rectify the problem but the other dealership (Peninsular Honda) rectified it initially by doing a re-earthing of all electrical wiring systems. They did it very professionally and there was no problem for the next 6 months.

However, this occurred again after 6 months and there was a thorough inspection and found that the issue was actually with door. Whenever, I used to move in the driver's seat and place my hand some what hard on the driver's armrest the door would get unlocked. Rectified it and this problem has not resurfaced since then.

4. Horn - I don't remember when all it occurred but the horn was replaced 2 or 3 times. One time both the horns and twice the high horn. Last time it was replaced 2 months back, it's ok till now but seems the high horn is going to fail again. Horns were replaced with warranty coverage.

On the positive side, below 2 factors got improved:

1. Ride Quality - The car does seems much much better than before on rough roads at speeds above 40 km/h. The car is taking potholes really well than before at these speeds. Seems the suspension got used to the Kerala road conditions. The first 6 months or so on rough roads at high speeds was not really good. There were loud thuds in to the cabin on sharper bumps. The sound is still there but much much muted than before. Low speed ride quality is also improved on rough roads than before but not marginally enough. The tyres are Goodyear GT3 unfortunately, and hence not much can be expected from these tyres. Still to upsize the tyres.

2. Engine Noise inside Cabin - The engine noise was a bit on a higher side inside the cabin. No, never like the City Diesel , but felt this was higher on a petrol engine. As per reviews, CVT was supposed to be noisy especially on hard acceleration and in 'S' mode. Although the sound in 'S' mode was sporty from my perspective, still it should be said on the higher side for a petrol engine. As this was expected, I did not bother to tell the A.S.S.

But on 3rd free service, I just told them that I felt the sound is high inside the cabin. They checked the insulation and exactly don't know what they did. However, the results were surprising. The sound was almost 90% reduced inside the cabin and on smooth roads I couldn't even tell if the engine was running or not.

FE side, the car is returning 11.3 kms/l on city conditions with a fair amount of bumper to bumper traffic. The highest highway mileage displayed in MID was 20.5 kms/l.

To sum up, I'm really satisfied with this car mostly because it's an Automatic and only minor niggles which did not bother much.

I would suggest that if a particular service center do not do a work properly continuously, visit the next authorized service center.
adarsh76 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 11:36   #4147
BHPian

The new gen Honda city has certainly gone down on quality. Coming from an ecosport, its been 6 months since I got my VXCVT. Somehow doesnt feel as well built as the Ecosport and the doors and panels feel flimsy. The fit and finish is poor too with all the bumpers literally hanging apart from the metal body. I had raised this issue but the service engineer said that this is an inherent trait in all honda citys. He did show me some cars too. But the worst was the paint quality. It is just appalling that a car costing almost 14 lacs on road has such poor quality. You can literally scratch with a finger nail!
rnair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 16:30   #4148
BHPian

Quote:
A guy had complained of knocking in his diesel city a day after delivery and demanded the car to be changed. The showroom and Honda denied. He was given the option of an engine swap. He denied and took it to court, now his car is lying at the workshop since last 1 year.

[/indent]
Would want to clarify an error on my behalf as stated by mods. The car was 1 Year old and had covered 20k kms. Apologies for the same as i had recieved wrong facts from my source. The car lost power while climbing a slope and went into limp mode. Finally it had to be towed to the dealer where the customer asked for replacement which was denied. The car is at the dealership since one year as the customer is fighting the case in consumer court.

Last edited by rockporiom : 18th August 2015 at 16:46.
Old 18th August 2015, 20:14   #4149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnair View Post
The new gen Honda city has certainly gone down on quality. Coming from an ecosport, its been 6 months since I got my VXCVT. Somehow doesnt feel as well built as the Ecosport and the doors and panels feel flimsy. The fit and finish is poor too with all the bumpers literally hanging apart from the metal body. I had raised this issue but the service engineer said that this is an inherent trait in all honda citys. He did show me some cars too. But the worst was the paint quality. It is just appalling that a car costing almost 14 lacs on road has such poor quality. You can literally scratch with a finger nail!
Fully Agree. You should never expect the build quality of Ford and European cars on Korean and Japanese cars. Having said that, it's not unsafe for travelling. Honda City has scored a 5 star rating ahead of Vento overall in crash tests outside India. There were areas were City scored high and some other where Vento scored high. I believe the Indian City should at least get a 4 star rating if a crash test was done here.

Paint quality again poor in Honda City. Cost cutting coming to Honda as well. Only thing which can be done is a paint protection coating which hardens the surface. There are many professional options available which costs from 10,000 to 40,000.

Myself I'd done a GTechniq coating with a 3 year guarantee. It costed 22000. I have posted some pics in my earlier thread.

Last edited by adarsh76 : 18th August 2015 at 20:15.
Old 19th August 2015, 10:35   #4150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
Fully Agree. You should never expect the build quality of Ford and European cars on Korean and Japanese cars. Having said that, it's not unsafe for travelling. Honda City has scored a 5 star rating ahead of Vento overall in crash tests outside India. There were areas were City scored high and some other where Vento scored high. I believe the Indian City should at least get a 4 star rating if a crash test was done here.

Paint quality again poor in Honda City. Cost cutting coming to Honda as well. Only thing which can be done is a paint protection coating which hardens the surface. There are many professional options available which costs from 10,000 to 40,000.

Myself I'd done a GTechniq coating with a 3 year guarantee. It costed 22000. I have posted some pics in my earlier thread.
Looks really good Adarsh. But since yours is a white, you are better off. I don know how darker colours like UT would handle it. I have already done the 3m paint sealant, but doesnt seem to be of much use. And at 22 grand, i think ill let that pass .... I mean, after paying 14 lacs, I am going around paying more for paint treatments, tyre upgrades, under body coating... at the end you think , is it worth all this. As I type this, I notice a ding on my boot lid . Hope its not from bird droppings!!!
rnair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 19:40   #4151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnair View Post
Looks really good Adarsh. But since yours is a white, you are better off. I don know how darker colours like UT would handle it. I have already done the 3m paint sealant, but doesnt seem to be of much use. And at 22 grand, i think ill let that pass .... I mean, after paying 14 lacs, I am going around paying more for paint treatments, tyre upgrades, under body coating... at the end you think , is it worth all this. As I type this, I notice a ding on my boot lid . Hope its not from bird droppings!!!
The paint protection treatment looks actually better in darker colors. White is the color which least looks good since the reflection would be better on metallic colors. Mine is not metallic white. More than the looks, it is the protection which matters. I do not know much about 3M paint sealant. But during the 1st year a high waxing would be sufficient.

As I said, there are options starting from 10,000. But you need not do this in the first year. You may decide after 1 year. The on road price for my VX CVT was 12.6 lakhs when I purchased in May 2014. Yes, the prices and taxes have increased now.

You need not do a tyre upgrade, if the driving is mostly in City and you don't drive too fast (say above 80 km/h). Only thing is to exercise some caution at these speeds.

Under body coating is also not necessary unless you're travelling through water logged areas too much but it can deaden the cabin sound to a certain extent.
Old 20th August 2015, 11:53   #4152
BHPian

I have the new City (V-MT - petrol) and recently I had taken a test drive of the manual Ciaz (petrol) just to judge my decision. As rockporiom has compared the AT versions on the Ciaz thread, below are my impressions on the MT versions.

ENGINE:
- Refinement at idle: City ("is the car even on" is what my cousin asked me)
- City running (20-80 kmph in 3rd gear): City
- Highway running (80 kmph+): City
- Engine sound quality above 3k rpm: CITY all the way - it's my favorite "song"
- Efficiency: Ciaz (my City gives me 9 on daily office commute whereas my colleague's Ciaz gives him 10 on similar routes and driving styles)

COMFORT:
- Seating: Mixed bag - in terms of space it's the City but Ciaz is taller which augurs well for my parents (I have to hear from my dad every time on how tough it is to get off from my car)
- Ride quality: Ciaz in the city and City on the highway (pun not intended!)

QUALITY:
- Plastics: City
- Fit and finish: Ciaz
- Overall quality: Ciaz feels way better built. In fact I have mentioned many times that even my Dzire seems more solid than my City

OTHERS:
- Service cost: Ciaz (as City has to go twice a year but Ciaz just the once)
- Resale value: City (unknown whether Ciaz will go the SX4 way - I know how this feels as I had traded my SX4 for the City)

Considering only the petrol as an option, my opinion is if you want to drive a car then go for the CITY but if you want to be driven in a car then could go for the CIAZ. However when taken into account the "premiumness" associated with the Honda City and the potential resale value, CITY has the edge over the CIAZ.

Disclaimer: Above is purely my opinion

Last edited by avdhesh15 : 20th August 2015 at 11:55. Reason: added a disclaimer
avdhesh15 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 18:58   #4153
BHPian

All, please help.

I have had the misfortune of buying City VX-AT. The car has started rattling from second day. I think the source is somewhere in dashboard, right of steering wheel. I went through the niggles thread and notice that some of the others may be facing the same. Is it really unfixable as is suggested by some, or have some of you been able to trace the source and get it fixed?

Please help. Much appreciated. with this rattling, I feel like banging the (brand new) car into a wall.
Old 20th August 2015, 19:26   #4154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistiks View Post
All, please help.

I have had the misfortune of buying City VX-AT. The car has started rattling from second day. I think the source is somewhere in dashboard, right of steering wheel. I went through the niggles thread and notice that some of the others may be facing the same. Is it really unfixable as is suggested by some, or have some of you been able to trace the source and get it fixed?

Please help. Much appreciated. with this rattling, I feel like banging the (brand new) car into a wall.
I had the same issue, didn't get it fixed but the ASC said that it was either from the point where the ORVM controls are or from the A pillar cover. It was more of a squeak rather than a rattle.
Old 20th August 2015, 23:00   #4155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistiks View Post
All, please help.

There is a black plastic strip (molding between the dash and the speedo console) on top of speedometer. It is easily removable. once removed, you can insert a foam or a small paper to tighten it.
Ask the service centre guys to do it for you.

Its one of the major reasons for dashboard rattle in the new city.
SumitBahl is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed