Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2016, 12:26   #5146
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

I wanted to have some advise on two things from the fellow City owners, for my i-DTECH Honda City:

1. The stock city horns are pathetic. They have already been replaced once during the warranty period and now one of them is again not working. I guess the big reason for these breaking up again and again is that they are mounted very low and hence during rains, a little drive on the water logged roads spoils them. I now plan to replace them with some better options from the market. Any suggestions? Can we have horns like the ones in VW installed in the City? Any suggestions would be of great help.

2. Mine is a SV Variant and I have lost one of the stock wheelcovers. I talked to the SA in Honda and was astonished to hear the cost of INR 1200 per wheel cover in case I buy from Honda ASC. Any idea where can I get OEM quality wheel covers for the new Honda City?
Old 12th October 2016, 13:10   #5147
Senior - BHPian

You can install Bosch or Minda Trumpet horns if you find the stock horn inadequate.

As for the wheel covers - you may not be able to find the exact pattern that the city uses in 3rd party brands but look around, see what you find. 1200 is reasonable though for a quality wheel cover.
Old 12th October 2016, 15:46   #5148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetsubhi View Post
2. Mine is a SV Variant and I have lost one of the stock wheelcovers. I talked to the SA in Honda and was astonished to hear the cost of INR 1200 per wheel cover in case I buy from Honda ASC. Any idea where can I get OEM quality wheel covers for the new Honda City?
Here you get 4 wheel covers for 1200:

http://www.amazon.in/MGT-15-inch-Whe...ers+honda+city
Also there are lots of other options available on Flipkart and amazon. Also use Cable ties to tie wheel covers with steel rims
Old 12th October 2016, 16:04   #5149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravint View Post

http://www.amazon.in/MGT-15-inch-Whe...ers+honda+city
Also there are lots of other options available on Flipkart and amazon. Also use Cable ties to tie wheel covers with steel rims
Brittle and likely to break / scratch the first time you drive on a rough road and stones fly up and hit the wheel cover. If you buy 300 rupee wheel covers you aren't likely to get heavy duty plastic.
Old 12th October 2016, 18:20   #5150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samy1117 View Post
True. In tankful to tankful, City's on-board system shows about 0.4 KMPL higher than actual mileage..

Not sure about the effects of having bit bigger tires (195/60R15) on the mileage figures. ...
You are spot-on on the 0.4 KMPL difference between the MID display and tankfull-to-tankful mileage.
After upsize to 195/60/R15, the calibration difference increases to 0.8 KMPL owing to the increased diameter.

Speaking of mileage/efficiency, I've been using XM2-195s for the last 7K KM and its quite impressive that the mileage hasn't dropped (may be a miniscule drop that can't be perceived) as I had anticipated. These Michelins do have low rolling resistance as they have claimed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by komalthecoolk View Post
I test drove multiple cars back to back on the bad roads I had to traverse. Putting comfort first, my whole world turned upside down and I ended up with City CVT as the most comfortable and fun car to have. the City. ...
People are very sensible when it comes to deciding where to put their hard earned money and the sales figures of cars (over a longer term, not the initial launch sales spike) is a clear indicator. As far as the City is concerned, it has proven to be a practical, reliable, comfortable, efficient, take anywhere car. Sure there are niggles reported, but which car doesn't have niggles. Its not as dreadful like the niggles reported on the Vento, Skoda thread like Injector, fuel pump, power steering, suspension failures. No offence to any brand, but at the end of the day, you can expect "relatively" greater reliability from the Japanese, be it Maruti, Toyota or Honda.
PS: Having owned a Fiat for more than a decade, I have great respect for that brand. Just go with your gut feel when making a buying decision.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 12th October 2016 at 18:47.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2016, 19:30   #5151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
People are very sensible when it comes to deciding where to put their hard earned money and the sales figures of cars (over a longer term, not the initial launch sales spike) is a clear indicator. As far as the City is concerned, it has proven to be a practical, reliable, comfortable, efficient, take anywhere car. Sure there are niggles reported, but which car doesn't have niggles. Its not as dreadful like the niggles reported on the Vento, Skoda thread like Injector, fuel pump, power steering, suspension failures. No offence to any brand, but at the end of the day, you can expect "relatively" greater reliability from the Japanese, be it Maruti, Toyota or Honda.
PS: Having owned a Fiat for more than a decade, I have great respect for that brand. Just go with your gut feel when making a buying decision.
Very apt suggestion there. I had replied the same some pages before.

I think what is happening on tbhp is that people naturally subscribe to the thread of a car they plan to buy either currently or plan to buy in the near future in order to follow the experiences of those who have already bought the car. In the process they get to know both plus and minus points of the product. The negatives tend to cling to the imagination more because you're going to invest you hard earned money in it. That tends to get you becoming scared more than elated of your choice.

So I suggest that one should subscribe to threads of all the cars that one thinks one could possibly end up buying even remotely. That way you will have more data to process up a better choice in your heart/mind or any other way you guage things.

Just my two cents.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2016, 17:26   #5152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Very apt suggestion there. I had replied the same some pages before.

So I suggest that one should subscribe to threads of all the cars that one thinks one could possibly end up buying even remotely. That way you will have more data to process up a better choice in your heart/mind or any other way you guage things.

Just my two cents.
Yes Other cars too have niggles/problems for example this ciaz
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4067516
Also we all are aware of DSG reliability issues with skoda and VW,Handling issues with verna and excellent service of FIAT.

I don't know why people are making so much fuss about City niggles.
I find complaints regarding sheet metal thickness ridiculous, Honda has worked to achieve balance between pedestrian and occupant safety with new sheet metal.
I agree it is soft but at the same time less dangerous for pedestrians.
Old 13th October 2016, 19:52   #5153
BHPian

Hi Guys. I am facing strange issue with my City's bluetooth system. It's not syncing all the contacts of my iPhone 5. It shows contacts starting with 'A' to 'S' only. No 'T' to 'Z' contacts shown.

Also, no "Others" section at the bottom as mentioned by someone in this thread. I have tried unpairing the device and pairing it again many times. Still, no luck with that.

Can somebody help me with this? I am not sure whether the problem is with iPhone or City's bluetooth system.
Old 13th October 2016, 22:06   #5154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samy1117 View Post
Hi Guys. I am facing strange issue with my City's bluetooth system. It's not syncing all the contacts of my iPhone 5. It shows contacts starting with 'A' to 'S' only. No 'T' to 'Z' contacts shown.

Also, no "Others" section at the bottom as mentioned by someone in this thread. I have tried unpairing the device and pairing it again many times. Still, no luck with that.

Can somebody help me with this? I am not sure whether the problem is with iPhone or City's bluetooth system.
This issue is new.

You can try deleting the device from the system and connecting it again. Also, delete all other listed devices which are not regularly paired. In my experience, Bluetooth behaves a bit funny when many devices are listed (memory overload?)
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2016, 23:31   #5155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
This issue is new.

You can try deleting the device from the system and connecting it again. Also, delete all other listed devices which are not regularly paired. In my experience, Bluetooth behaves a bit funny when many devices are listed (memory overload?)
Or if there are too many contacts on the phone there might be a hard / maximum limit of contacts that was reached.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 13:05   #5156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
This issue is new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Or if there are too many contacts on the phone there might be a hard / maximum limit of contacts that was reached.

Thanks for the suggestion. My City has only two phone's paired. As mentioned earlier, I have tried deleting my device and adding it again many times. Still no luck. Deleting all the devices and pairing it again might work. I will try this.

It could be Memory overload as suggested. I will try deleting some contacts and check whether the bluetooth system shows contacts starting with 'T'. Also, I forgot to mention that even in contacts starting with 'S', bottom end contacts like "Suhanth" were missing.

I will update the results here shortly. Thanks.
Old 14th October 2016, 14:58   #5157
BHPian

Quote:
You can install Bosch or Minda Trumpet horns if you find the stock horn inadequate. ...
Do you think the Bosch or the Minda ones can fit into the space where the stock horns are fitted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravint View Post

... Also there are lots of other options available on Flipkart and amazon. Also use Cable ties to tie wheel covers with steel rims
Quote:
Brittle and likely to break / scratch the first time you drive on a rough road and stones fly up and hit the wheel cover. If you buy 300 rupee wheel covers you aren't likely to get heavy duty plastic.

Thanks. Though I agree I have no choice but to buy the wheel cover from Honda as atleast I will get some good quality. But Suzuki sells original the wheel covers for INR 800 for all 4 of them where as Honda is selling one wheel cover for INR 1200. That is more disappointing. I will surely tie the wheel covers with cable ties for the next time. Thanks for your advise.
Old 14th October 2016, 15:35   #5158
Senior - BHPian

You need a relay for the bosch / minda which are double horns. Any competent install place should be able to fit them for you.
Old 14th October 2016, 19:29   #5159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetsubhi View Post
Do you think the Bosch or the Minda ones can fit into the space where the stock horns are fitted?

The aftermarket fitment horns don't have to necessarily replace the stock ones or fit in exactly the same space, they can be mounted anywhere in the engine bay without any additional modifications or drilling etc needed.

Have them install a separate relay and wiring harness for the new horn, with a switch on the dashboard so that you can use both stock and aftermarket fitment horns as needed. That way you don't mess with the vehicle's electricals and you have a backup horn as well.

Popular brands are Bosch, Hella, Roots and Minda.
chncar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 12:46   #5160
BHPian

20000 KMs Update (Diesel)

Brake Issue
Started to hear this ghad-ghad sound from the left side at around 10000 KMs when braking and informed the same to dealership when the problem started to increase , they adviced me to leave the car for one week and they will change the required parts under warranty.
I insisted on taking the car with me and promised not to drive it till i get it fixed.
Parked it and while bringing back the car to the service center the front left side brake almost failed and all sorts of banging clicking and other high pitched sounds could be heard.
They replaced the calipers , the brake pads but just skimmed the discs (i was under the impression they replaced them as well) and all was well till about 4000 kMs and the car started to judder when braking at speeds above 80 KM/h , took it back to the dealership and they replaced the brake pads under warranty but refused to change the disc which i suspected was the culprit , there was no way new brake pads can wear after just 4000Kms.
The problem started again after 3000 Kms and i was told that the disc has developed some lining and that is causing the judder and now since the car was out of warranty they adviced me to change everything (Funny when they had to they only changed the brake pads and left the disc intact)
So after numerous mails to Honda , after taking my car to the dealership several times (which diagnosed the left side brake pads to be worn out and the right ones in perfect shape) all resulted in nothing and i finally replaced the discs at my cost and also the brake pads (For the 3rd time in 20,000 Kms which is just ridiculous) , have never been so troubled for any of my cars and have been to the dealership so many times that everone in the dealership now knows me and greets me everytime i'am there , which is not a good thing IMO.
Anyways , was adviced that the judder maybe caused because of the rims being bent and got them repaired from Ajit Singh and Sons , but they claimed that brake wearing out like this has nothing to do with the rims.

Apart from this the car has been running well and even after all this i'm satisfied with the car but the overall quality is obviously much lower than Honda standards and this has been proved time and again at this forum.

Here's my verdict on the car otherwise

Ride Quality - 2.5/5
With 16 inch wheels in my car the ride has been constantly bone jarring on broken roads

Handling- 3.5/5
Body roll is well under control thanks to the stiff suspension setup , but the suspension is by no means mature and ends up in no man's land , the handling although acceptable is by no defination excellent and the car refuses to stay flat at high speeds , and on NH8 (Delhi Gurgaon road) , the car bounces constantly from time to time.
The stiff suspension neither has good ride quality and nor outstanding handling and stablity , could have been tuned better

Engine - 3.5/5
It is fuel efficient and lives up to the CITY nametag and the power is more than sufficient in moderate, heavy and light trafic conditions , but on open roads the engine feels just about adequate , it can get to very high speeds and can maintain them for sustained periods of time but is still more in the mediocre range there , surely nothing enthusiastic and hates being revved and sounds pathetic and feels very harsh when revved , good thing is in city conditions it seldom needs to be revved more than 2000 RPM and offers sufficient punch and excellent fuel economy when driven that way , in contrast my Cruze with its poor low end torque needs to revved more in the tune of 2500-3000 RPM but the feel above 2000 RPM is just magical in that
Also i have'nt seen any professional reviews or road tests by bhpians emphasize this that the power of this engine is very sensitive to the load and AC ,much more than other cars in this and lower segments , i feel a difference of about 20% when the AC is turned off and the low end torque especially feels way punchier this way , also whenever there are more than 2 people in the car the performance starts dipping noticeably. 5 people with AC surely feels sluggish even at low speeds.

Air Conditioning- 3.5/5
The best test of any car airconditioner is in peak Delhi heat with temperatures rising to 46-47 degrees and at that time when driving the car after it was parked under the sun in afternoon (the absolute worst conditions a car can face) , it takes a good 15-20 minutes to sufficiently cool the car and even after that the Fan needs to run at 80% speeds in the lowest temperature setting at all times to maintain the temperature.
My Cruze is better in this aspect and Ecosport is the best i have experienced with temperature coming down in 5-7 minutes.

Fit and Finish - 3.0/5
The interiors and the overall build quality is average at best , and the interior part quality is more in the line of premium hatchbacks than sedans , but Creta being priced 50% more even than the City , it suddenly feels not that bad.
Doors , due to the thin sheet metal have developed minor dents which look horrible from the car being parked in my building and other cars opening and banging their doors to get in from the limited space , my Cruze on the other hand has no such dents in similar conditions , iam still looking for solutions to those , don't want to get them and them repainted and fixed just for this.

Dealership and service experience (Ring Road Honda , Moti Nagar) - 3.0/5
Despite the problems i have faced , they did their jobs the way they are supposed to , but company's and their support in the brake issue was not very encouraging , could have been handled much better.

Overall 3.5/5
Does full justce to the City name plate and is a sensible City car , looks great , is spacious and fuel efficient but the small niggles , average Quality and performance makes it nothing special , with the current scenario feels Value for money (for the SV variant).
Rocketscience is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks