Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2016, 19:11   #5326
Senior - BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by we_pull View Post
Hey guys,
Off late (last three weeks) i can hear the clutch make a noise (something like choon...) while pressing down and relieving. This started with noise in a few instances and to now, where there is sound at all time. Can you please help understand what might this be? .
This problem could be because of these reasons.

1. Worn Bearing, which results in uneven sound.
2. Play/Misalignment between Flywheel & Clutch Disc.

I see that this sound is coming regularly. In this case, I would suggest you to get the car checked at a FNG, if he is unable to detect (Unlikely), get it checked at a Honda ASS.
Old 23rd December 2016, 19:19   #5327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
This problem could be because of these reasons.

1. Worn Bearing, which results in uneven sound.
2. Play/Misalignment between Flywheel & Clutch Disc.

I see that this sound is coming regularly. In this case, I would suggest you to get the car checked at a FNG, if he is unable to detect (Unlikely), get it checked at a Honda ASS.
Thanks CarGuyNish. I am not sure of a FNG here in NOIDA. So may be have to take the car to ASS. Do you think any of these problems are typical of a 18K vehicle?
Old 23rd December 2016, 20:23   #5328
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hey guys,

I have an I-Dtec with about 18 K on the meter and bought in Sep 15. Off late (last three weeks) i can hear the clutch make a noise (something like choon...) while pressing down and relieving. This started with noise in a few instances and to now, where there is sound at all time. Can you please help understand what might this be? Don't want to go the service center with no idea on what it might be... Thank much for your help.
We had this noise on our City as well early on its life; every time I asked the SA to check it, he said it was okay.

At 6 yrs/50k kms, the stock clutch is still going strong.

In the process of some other repair, the clutch release bearing was replaced and the sound went away.
Old 23rd December 2016, 22:41   #5329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,

... i can hear the clutch make a noise (something like choon...) while pressing down and relieving. ..... Don't want to go the service center with no idea on what it might be...
I had faced a similar sound, while raising the foot off the clutch. Turned out to be simple case of clutch pedal requiring "greasing" as confirmed by the service advisor.

This is a generic issue, have faced the same in my previous cars as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
.... I believe that City petrol has the most reliable mechanicals in that segment. City diesel engine, with all its NVH issues, is still as reliable as Fiat's 1.3, if not more. You will never regret this decision...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
.. City Diesel. ...I am surprised by the NVH levels, there is hardly any sound inside at idle & low revs. Once past 3-4k rpm, you can hear it which is a common character of Diesel Engine. I am very much satisfied by the car (Unlike most others, who aren't happy), it's a well engineered car no doubt....

Diesel NVH has improved vastly over inital batches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
..but the older ones were really harsh. Then again Vento/Rapid has equally loud diesel. ..
I have a 2014 model Diesel and can confirm that the NVH levels are acceptable for a diesel and not as bad as I keep hearing on reviews and discussions on various forums.

The one mistake Honda did was it released an early V4 version/model that were used as test drive vehicles all over the country in showrooms and in most early reviews and these early test drive models were indeed significantly loud and this tag of Diesel City NVH being excessively harsh has stuck on till this day.

After the test drive before purchase, I had the same opinion of high NVH, but was pleasantly surprised that about the much more acceptable NVH of the production Diesel model, it is just a typical diesel, there is no 'excessive' noise, its just the hangover of 'noisy diesel' tag from the early test drive models.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 23rd December 2016 at 23:07.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 22:56   #5330
BHPian

Hello folks, my 2.5 year old City has picked up a new quirk. Whenever she goes over an uneven road or a bump, the doors unlock and cabin lights come on. This happens irrespective of what speed I'm on. Once the car slows down below 15kmph, door locks again when speed goes back up above 15 kmph.

Anyone else faced with this issue? Any known fixes?
Old 24th December 2016, 17:22   #5331

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...w-dsc_0048.jpg

@deerhunter Hey is this dash cam. How much did it cost.
firef0x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2016, 18:18   #5332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by firef0x View Post
@deerhunter Hey is this dash cam. How much did it cost.
I bought it from amazon 4 months back for Rs 9500. My previous 2 dash cams were chinese makes and both had come with internal batteries. But since I sometimes park under the sun, both the battery versions became out of focus within a month and stopped working after a year. Temperature inside cars, when parked under sun, can reach as high as 80 degrees.

So I wanted a heat proof dash cam (no battery, only capacitor) with warranty. So got this. Its a transcend drive pro 200. It is not inconspicuous like some chinese ones, but the video quality is excellent.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by deerhunter : 24th December 2016 at 18:21.
Old 26th December 2016, 16:11   #5333

Quote:
Hey guys,

I have an I-Dtec with about 18 K on the meter and bought in Sep 15. Off late (last three weeks) i can hear the clutch make a noise (something like choon...) while pressing down and relieving. This started with noise in a few instances and to now, where there is sound at all time. Can you please help understand what might this be? Don't want to go the service center with no idea on what it might be... Thank much for your help.
Hi we_pull, I had this problem before 6 months. The sound was from the clutch switch. Thy spayed the 3M lubrication to the clutch switch and it got fixed temporarily. It was a small cylindrical device that has a small steel knob peeping out. When you press the clutch pedal, the pedal presses the steel knob for clutch action. At least, that is the explanation that could make out of it.

The problem appeared again and I had the dealer to replace a new one under warranty. They replaced it a couple of months before, however, the sound is back. I'll have to speak to them during my next service.
Old 30th December 2016, 06:36   #5334
BHPian

I found something interesting on a Malaysian site for which is providing AVN system for Honda City:
http://www.maxaudio.com.my/double-di...v-antenna.html

Gives all the attachments as they are available in the factory fitted car. Any thoughts on this?
Old 30th December 2016, 14:59   #5335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Thanks, very comforting to hear that you didn't face the same issue again after the update.

You are spot on about the scenario, exactly happened the same way.
When the clutch is depressed, the ECU sometimes raises the RPM automatically, this is normal and observed in many cars.
In this particular scenario, the RPM had shot up momentarily quite a bit and then the Check Engine light appeared which got resolved after the ECU software update. It sure seems like a software bug.
This happened to me too, took it to ASC i think they ran a OBD scan and reset the error code, at least that's what they told me. BTW it happened when car had approx 5000KM in odo, currently it is a 45k, hope it is fixed for good.
Old 1st January 2017, 13:02   #5336
BHPian

My City's brakes make a squeaking sound when I apply them. Is it normal? It's a new car, done about 150 kms.

What could be the problem?

Edit : Car is parked in an underground covered parking.

Last edited by The Brutailer : 1st January 2017 at 13:09.
Old 1st January 2017, 13:35   #5337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
My City's brakes make a squeaking sound when I apply them. Is it normal? It's a new car, done about 150 kms.

Where do you hear the sound from ?
Front part or Rear Part ?

The 2 reasons for squeaking would be
1. Moisture/Dew/Condensation due to cold climate
2. Lack of Lubrication between Brake Shoe & Backing Plate Contact Points. (Rear Drums).

Does this happen at all the times ? If so, you should get you're car checked.
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2017, 14:44   #5338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post

This happened on my car too. My car is also parked in an underground lot and my daily running is pretty low (15-20 Kms/day).

The brakes would squeak a lot every time they were applied. This problem started out as a pretty minor sound and gradually became a much louder squeak. I sent the car to the service center and they sorted it out. It still happens occasionally, but nowhere as audible as earlier. There isn't any pattern which I can see. The brakes squeak sometime (one really needs to strain their ears to hear it), and behave normal for the rest of the time.

Get the service center to look into it, they should be able to fix it.

Last edited by fordfreak : 1st January 2017 at 14:46.
fordfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2017, 19:32   #5339
Senior - BHPian

Dew / condensation if it's parked in a chilly underground parking lot and then brought into the daylight would be my guess. See if there are damp conditions in your parking area e.g. pools of spilled water, area hosed down for cleaning etc that you may have to drive through before / after entering your underground parking.
hserus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2017, 21:13   #5340
BHPian

Thanks for the input guys. It was dew itself.

Though a new issue has cropped up.

In first gear sometimes, something in the dashboard rattles though only at a particular rpm ( I didn't take note of it ).
What could be it? It's a brand new car and these things are annoying me a LOT.

Last edited by The Brutailer : 2nd January 2017 at 21:38.

Most Viewed