Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2017, 23:38   #5506
mxh
BHPian

I was cleaning my cabin air filter the other day and forgot to check the orientation before removing it. I presume the air flow is supposed to be from top to bottom right? I mean the writing should be the right side up on the filter, can anyone please confirm. Also gonna use try out liqui moly fuel injection cleaner additive tomorrow.. Will report back if it makes any difference.
Old 3rd March 2017, 10:23   #5507
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

The i-DTEC is indeed gem of an engine and FGT is good enough for most needs. If they plonk in a VGT, it could become an enthusiasts car with 120-125 bhp vs. 99 bhp and more torque as well.

Luckily for enthusiasts, looks like the i-DTEC engine has the space to accomodate a VGT in future. Came across this link that explains the architecture and workings of the magnificent i-DTEC engine that is an engineering marvel indeed. The VGT might not be too distant into the future

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ne-323615.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
The i-DTEC Diesel on the Honda City is perfectly mated to a 6 speed gearbox with well sorted gear ratios that brings out the best in the engine. The torque and power delivery is linear and ample, there is simply no need to include a VGT and unnecessarily increase cost.
If the power was inadequate, then adding a VGT would make sense, but its not the case in the Diesel City.
bhpfaninblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 11:50   #5508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
I was cleaning my cabin air filter the other day and forgot to check the orientation before removing it. I presume the air flow is supposed to be from top to bottom right? I mean the writing should be the right side up on the filter, can anyone please confirm. Also gonna use try out liqui moly fuel injection cleaner additive tomorrow.. Will report back if it makes any difference.
It is a square with a set of slats on it so top to bottom or bottom to top will not matter very much. It will only fit into the air filter box one way so that's there.

Please don't try any sort of additive.
Old 3rd March 2017, 19:38   #5509
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
It is a square with a set of slats on it so top to bottom or bottom to top will not matter very much. It will only fit into the air filter box one way so that's there.

Please don't try any sort of additive.
It's rectangular and it has a symbol mentioning the air flow direction. So there must be the correct direction to insert it. The additive was good, the car feels smoother and a little more powerful now. Let's see how long the effect lasts.
Old 3rd March 2017, 23:13   #5510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
the car feels smoother and a little more powerful now. Let's see how long the effect lasts.
The cabin Air filter doesn't affect performance,it is just for cleaning air in car cabin. May be it is placebo effect that your car is feeling smoother!
Old 3rd March 2017, 23:20   #5511
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravint View Post
The cabin Air filter doesn't affect performance,it is just for cleaning air in car cabin. May be it is placebo effect that your car is feeling smoother!
I was referring to the injector cleaner additive, not the cabin air filter. I had mentioned it a couple of posts above.
Old 4th March 2017, 10:27   #5512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRN View Post
I got my 15K service done yesterday and have a very similar experience. Had used only mineral oil so far, but the SA said that the price of synthetic oil is just 200 rupees more. Asked him to go ahead. I noticed an immediate improvement in refinement after the service. But sometimes it is hard to say whether the improvement is due to just the oil or other factors such as air filter cleaning etc. Will continue to observe over the next few days.

Frankly I am surprised how Honda has been able to price their synthetic oil close to regular mineral oil
I called up my Honda SA if there is synthetic oil for Jazz earlier generation and he said yes but quote around 500 bucks extra. So here are my questions for you.
-is it 200 extra per litre or total?
-it means one has to switch to synthetic permanently?
- is the oil change interval same, every 5k kms?
- based on your experience do you think 500 extra bucks and still changing oil every 5k kms it is worth the money?

Thanks in advance
Old 4th March 2017, 11:24   #5513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
The i-DTEC is indeed gem of an engine and FGT is good enough for most needs.
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ne-323615.aspx
Is it really that gem of an engine? I am curious to know more about it.

Normally I am okay with the noise of diesel engines, but city's is one of the worst sounding ones I have driven. Maybe lack of proper insulation is the culprit. The Noise never made me keen to even test the cars potential fully. Further it made me look away from Honda when considering Diesel cars.

This is coming from my experience of owning and driving diesel's for appreciable km's from all the major brands : Swift DDIs, Duster, Hyundai I20 & Verna, Innova, Skoda Octavia, Tata Indigo First Generation

Maybe I should drive my Brother in law's i-Dtec again and test it out
Old 4th March 2017, 12:59   #5514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post

Normally I am okay with the noise of diesel engines, but city's is one of the worst sounding ones I have driven. Maybe lack of proper insulation is the culprit. The Noise never made me keen to even test the cars potential fully. Further it made me look away from Honda when considering Diesel cars.

This is coming from my experience of owning and driving diesel's for appreciable km's from all the major brands : Swift DDIs, Duster, Hyundai I20 & Verna, Innova, Skoda Octavia, Tata Indigo First Generation

Maybe it's not as good as Volkswagen Diesel engines but it's good enough in it's own right. I found it better than the iVtec in lower rpms.

Plus drivability is extremely good. No hint of any turbo lag. And it's perfectly mated to the 6 Speed MT. Amaze has the same engine but it doesn't feels that great to drive (even though it weighs less).

Plus, I personally didn't feel any noise/insulation problem when I test drove it. And I've been driving only petrols all my life.

I think the initial test drive vehicles had NVH problems but they fixed it when the customer cars came. Unfortunately that impression has stuck on till now.
The Brutailer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2017, 13:07   #5515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
I think the initial test drive vehicles had NVH problems but they fixed it when the customer cars came. Unfortunately that impression has stuck on till now.
We have had city Diesel since Jan 2015. It is not the initial test drive cars were only noisy, even our car sounds bad. So that is one of reasons I did not even test drive the 2017 city diesel facelift when I was considering a new car last month.

Negative impression was too strong I guess
Old 5th March 2017, 11:35   #5516
BHPian

Agree - the noise is higher. I drove a City Diesel last month and the noise is slightly higher than than DDiS - could not notice a significant difference.

By gem of engine, I was referring to the large portions of aluminium in the engine body, the great mileage, space for a VGT in future, great power and torque figures and almost linear power delivery. All engines have space for improvement and the noise is definitely one. That is not a deal braker for many people while it could be for some

Nevertheless, i-DTec is one of the best pieces of engineering from an overall perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post

bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 22:09   #5517
BHPian

I believe they have a turbo attached to this motor abroad. That would solve all issues and give a smooth operator twist to the car if offered here too. Honda is adamant on beating the dead horse in every new offering/update they come up with of late. For reasons best known to them. They're still lovable though...
Old 8th March 2017, 11:23   #5518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
The easy way of doing it will be to check up the user manual at the dealership itself since the number of folks who have already taken delivery on this forum wont be many. On another note, i am curious to know which is this laser version of Osram Night Breaker.
I did get help from a couple of bhpians who took delivery recently.

However, NB laser was not available for HB3 and H11

So I ordered NB Unlimited which came to INR 3600 total for a pair of HB3 and one of H11. It would have a been atleast 1k more here.

NB Laser is Osram's new flagship product for OEM halogen bulbs and have been seeing good reviews about them. Not available in India yet though, unless a seller is importing them.
Old 8th March 2017, 12:07   #5519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
Agree - the noise is higher. I drove a City Diesel last month and the noise is slightly higher than than DDiS - could not notice a significant difference.

By gem of engine, I was referring to the large portions of aluminium in the engine body, the great mileage, space for a VGT in future, great power and torque figures and almost linear power delivery. All engines have space for improvement and the noise is definitely one. That is not a deal braker for many people while it could be for some

Nevertheless, i-DTec is one of the best pieces of engineering from an overall perspective
Yes rightly said. The noise is on the higher side compared to cars like the Verna which I think offers the best cabin insulation and engine noise refinement for Diesel cars. The Creta has taken the same to an even higher level of refinement. The main reason behind the iDTEC's noise level is the usage of the Aluminium in comparison to Iron used in other engines. I had no issues with the noise as my previous car was a first generation 3 cylinder CRDI engine (Accent CRDi).

Talking about the fuel efficiency, this is the only engine where I am hearing most people actually see the ARAI quoted figures in real world usage. My overall average for the entire 39,000 kms that I have clocked in the last 3 years is above 18 kmpl which I think is something commendable for a car of this size and form factor.

Drive-ability is excellent, the gearing for 0-60 kmph is done extremely well. It truly is a City car as the name says it. The acceleration maybe not be as good for highways in comparison to cars like Vento or Verna but I have not faced any issues or felt a lack of power in overtaking on the highways. So its only in comparison and on its own its good enough for both City driving as well as highway driving.

So for people who can bear a little bit of more of the engine noise, its an excellent offering.

Out of curiosity - does anyone know of iDTECs that have clocked more than 2,00,000 kms already? Trying to gather what is the higher kms that we have seen on the iDTEC from a longevity perspective...
vsrivatsa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 15:43   #5520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Out of curiosity - does anyone know of iDTECs that have clocked more than 2,00,000 kms already? Trying to gather what is the higher kms that we have seen on the iDTEC from a longevity perspective...
Had been in an Amaze (iDtec) recently which had done over 205000 kms. On general enquiry, the driver reported no issues and mentioned that the maintenance cost comes to lower than what he paid for Indigo and its niggles.
akshay81 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks