Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2017, 20:41   #5701
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Were you able to diagnose from where the water ingress is happening ? It will help for me to keep a lookout for the same.
Well the Honda workshop will need to keep the car for a week to figure it out, so i'm left with a vehicle in the Mumbai monsoons. By the way mine was not the only car with the issue, another car too had come in for the same.
Old 18th July 2017, 20:43   #5702
Senior - BHPian

With Auto climate control off and AC OFF and fresh air mode (green light)

Earlier (until a week back):
Touching the AC to ON would automatically cause it to switch to Re-circulate mode (orange light)
and touch the AC to OFF and the light would change back from orange to green (recirculate to fresh)

Presently:
Touch the AC to ON and it stays in fresh air mode without switching to recirculated air mode. I have to again touch the panel manually to change to recirculate mode. The automatic toggle from fresh to recirculate when turning on the AC is no longer happening.

Have anyone faced the same behavior?

Last edited by for_cars1 : 18th July 2017 at 21:03.
Old 18th July 2017, 23:28   #5703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
The automatic toggle from fresh to recirculate when turning on the AC is no longer happening.

Have anyone faced the same behavior?
Can happen if you have changed your temp settings to a higher point lately due to cooler ambient weather conditions maybe. Recirculation mode tends to depend upon the temperature you have selected on the dial. This maybe it.
Old 18th July 2017, 23:44   #5704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishaanranderia View Post
Well the Honda workshop will need to keep the car for a week to figure it out, so i'm left with a vehicle in the Mumbai monsoons. By the way mine was not the only car with the issue, another car too had come in for the same.
Which Honda service centre have you given the car to?

Rain or no rain, this isn't acceptable. They need to sit in the car and put under the car shower to replicate the rain.

I suggest you take this up strongly.
Old 18th July 2017, 23:59   #5705

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravint View Post
Coolant level in my ANHC 2015 petrol is going down day by day. Car has completed 31K Kms till date.

In last servicing(February 2017-27K Kms) coolant level was at Max mark but it is now just above Min mark and I see very small blueish deposit near coolant reservoir cap (see arrow in image).

Is there anything to worry about?

Pravin,
Usually very quiet in the forum but I'm responding since I had faced the same issue. Coolant level steadily kept going down and some dried coolant deposits were discovered around the cap.
The issue was a cross-threaded cap which allowed the coolant to evaporate/spill out. Do take a look at the cap and have it replaced. (May not be available in stock readily)
Old 19th July 2017, 00:26   #5706
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
Which Honda service centre have you given the car to?

Rain or no rain, this isn't acceptable. They need to sit in the car and put under the car shower to replicate the rain.

I suggest you take this up strongly.
I have mailed Honda customer service, and do intend to take it further once they figure out what is actually wrong with the car, because i didn't expect this from a 14 lakh car.
Old 19th July 2017, 01:45   #5707
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys I am looking to buy a used Honda City 2010 model with 60k Kms on odo. My usage won't be more than 1000 kms per month. I have some questions and queries which I am putting up here-

1. Is 3.25L a fair price?
2. What is the city and highway mileage?
3. Any major niggles I should worry about and be prepared for?
4. Please advise how is the ride quality and is it comfortable on long drives?
5. Will it be heavy on my pocket? I don't want it to be a white elephant. I am asking this with respect to engine/suspension etc. How much will suspension overhauling cost me? Tyres have replaced by the owner last year.
Old 19th July 2017, 04:27   #5708
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Hey guys I am looking to buy a used Honda City 2010 model with 60k Kms on odo. My usage won't be more than 1000 kms per month. I have some questions and queries which I am putting up here-

5. Will it be heavy on my pocket? I don't want it to be a white elephant. I am asking this with respect to engine/suspension etc. How much will suspension overhauling cost me? Tyres have replaced by the owner last year.
1. The price being fair or not solely depends on the condition the car is in, you will have to check the car for any issues/problems and then negotiate a price keeping in mind how much extra you will have to spend after buying that car. I would advise you to take it to the service center and ask them to provide a detailed report, it costs some 2000 rupees for checking and providing the estimate but they will literaly tell you even if a single clip is missing or broken, their checkup is that good. This checkup and estimation is free if you ask for it during regular service.

2. I have a 2012 City which is just a facelift of the car you want to buy, but the engine being same, expect around 13-14 kmpl in the city and anything above 16 kmpl on the highways, again this FE will be possible only if the car is maintained well.

3. No, absolutely nothing. The 3rd generation City was the last Honda where quality was not compromised, my car has completed nearly 70000 kms and there is not a single rattle or squeak from anywhere, apart from the regular services and battery change I have not spent a single rupee on anything else. Just to let you know, some people face problems with the steering rack and wheel bearings so keep an eye on these two things, because both of them are not cheap to replace.

4. Ride quality when compared with others is far more superior, the car feels very stable and confidence inspiring even at highway speeds. The car comes with ABS as standard and the brakes do their job well. I have done some really long drives like Mumbai-Delhi, Mumbai-Goa, Mumbai-Bangalore and the car has never made me feel tired, it is a fantastic car to drive as well as being driven in. One thing that irritates me is the lack of headroom, I cannot sit with my head straight up because it hits the roof-lining, so if you are 6.2 feet tall be prepared to keep your head a little tilted.

5. It is not heavy on the pocket, like I said above, in the past 4.5 years I have not spent a single extra rupee for parts replacements or anything except regular service. The service costs are also quite reasonable if you take the AMC, this car has the old 3 months/5000 kms service interval that is 4 times a year so better to take the AMC. You will have a good time at the service centers too, owning and maintaining a Honda is not difficult/expensive, I still have my 2007 City and the spares are all available when needed. Regarding engine/suspension overhauls, that will depend solely on what work needs to be done. It can range from a few thousands to even lakhs, but that is the case with every car and not only the City.

If you are in Mumbai head over to Arya Honda, those people are taking care of my cars since the start and have never given me a reason to complain.

Last edited by Samurai : 3rd August 2017 at 08:37. Reason: typo fixed
OSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 08:01   #5709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not acceptable. A week is a lot. There were quite a few cars in the earlier batches for 2014 Citys which were leaking or sunroof leaking issues as well.. They should have diagnosed the same. However is this happening just this monsoon or you faced the same in earlier monsoons as well ? Also any body work done recently ? Apologies for so many questions.

Quote:

Agree will what OSH has to say. I had the 2010 City and now the 2017 City. The only reason to go for the City again is the great experience I had with the earlier one. However one of the biggest problem of the 2010 one is ground clearance. It will scrape every single speed breaker unless you are careful.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 19th July 2017 at 08:07.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 11:54   #5710
BHPian

Quote:

1. Seems like the price is reasonable. Really depends on the condition of the car, variant, service history, etc. As advised above, take the car to an authorized Honda service center for a proper evaluation before you seal the deal.

2. I have a 2010 VMT (56K on the ODO currently) and get about 8 - 10 km/l. My car is chauffeur-driven in city traffic 100% of the time with the AC running.

3. Watch out for rust. I have gotten my left doors (front and rear) repaired due to rust. My suspension has been rattling, so will get that sorted during the next service. Apart from tyre and battery replacement, I've never had to spend a lot of money to repair anything on my car. The stock Honda horn is rubbish and regularly conks off. Get a good quality after-market unit.

4. Very comfortable ride on all surfaces. Great steering feel as well. The car feels solidly planted even at highways speeds. The ground clearance is the only negative point here.

5. If the car has been well maintained by the previous owner, then you don't have much to worry about. The engine is usually trouble-free if well maintained. Regular servicing costs anything in the region of Rs.3,000 - Rs.6,000 depending on what is being done to the car. If the suspension does need an overhaul, it may be slightly expensive, but then you will have peace of mind for atleast another 50K-60K kms.
fordfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 12:09   #5711
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hey guys I am looking to buy a used Honda City 2010 model with 60k Kms on odo.
The '10 City SMT (the car you're considering) had a recall for both the airbag modules: driver and passenger side. Do check that both have been replaced.

The '10 City in my family is my dad's daily drive and he manages about 16 kmpl in peak Gurgaon traffic (100% a/c) and 17-18 kmpl on highways.

GC is a concern, yes. You have to baby the car over unusual speed breakers.

Assume you will spend 50k ish once you buy the car: 7k on regular maintenance, a possible battery change (5k), brake pads (7k) and clutch replacement (30k). All this is at Honda A.S.S so highest possible charge.

Be mentally prepared for some more (suspension overhaul?).

But be assured, once you get this out of the way, beyond periodic servicing, the car will not ask anything from you for the next five years from a repairs standpoint.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 15:40   #5712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Not acceptable. A week is a lot. There were quite a few cars in the earlier batches for 2014 Citys which were leaking or sunroof leaking issues as well.. They should have diagnosed the same. However is this happening just this monsoon or you faced the same in earlier monsoons as well ? Also any body work done recently ? Apologies for so many questions.
No i didn't have the issue in the earlier monsoon. I got a call back from the Honda workshop that the glue for all the rubber beading attached to the car has become dry hence the leakage. To reapply the glue and to dry the mats they are charging me 5,500.
Again something i have never faced in any car ever, I have a 9 year old altos and it still runs amazingly well and hasn't ever given me any issue.
I have mailed Honda and waiting for their response.
Old 19th July 2017, 16:19   #5713
BHPian

Quote:

1. I've just sold my 2011 Honda City E-MT with 36k on the odo to a Honda local dealership for 3.75L. Had upgrades worth 90k and was almost equal to V-MT variant.
2. I've consistently got around 12-13kmpl in city and about 15-16kmpl on highway drives.
3. No issues except disk rotor replacement once due to corrosion.
4. Ride is a bit firm in the city and but excellent on the highways.
5. This car doesnt really demand much in terms of maintenence.

Enjoy your new ride!
vikash49 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 17:32   #5714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No i didn't have the issue in the earlier monsoon. I got a call back from the Honda workshop that the glue for all the rubber beading attached to the car has become dry hence the leakage. To reapply the glue and to dry the mats they are charging me 5,500.
Again something i have never faced in any car ever, I have a 9 year old altos and it still runs amazingly well and hasn't ever given me any issue.
I have mailed Honda and waiting for their response.
Glue in rubber beading ? There is no glue AFAIK. It just slots into place. Please ask them to show what they are talking about. Is your car in warranty ? Shouldn't this be sorted in warranty ?
Old 20th July 2017, 00:11   #5715
BHPian

Hey guys, we have been looking at the 2017 City S Petrol, which is coming at around 9.7L OTR in Kolkata. The price was attractive for the features and comfort on offer.

The S misses rear AC vents and steering controls, but paying 1L more for the SV doesnt make any sense to me, so this is all right.

However, a bit of research also led us to some great pre-owned cars. These are some of the models I found
1. BMW 320d / 325i 2009-2011 (multiple models, roughly 8 to 11L)
2. Audi A4 2.0 TDI / 1.8 TFSI 2011 (~10.5L)
3. Hyundai Sonata Top Model 2013 (~8.5L)
4. VW Jetta Highline TDI 2013 (~5.9L)

And all of a sudden, the City is not seeming that attractive anymore

Does it make sense to get a pre-owned car at this range, or should we just consider the City.
I understand the BMW and Audi will costlier to maintain, but exactly how much is the question. Also, any known issues or failures on those generation of cars.

Now, the really attractive option is the Jetta. It is pristine, low mileage and the price is excellent. Any idea about that too would be helpful.

Most Viewed