Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2017, 16:14   #5776
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
If the car is being serviced once every six months as per Honda's guidelines, you don't need to check anything under the hood before going on the trip.

Just do a quick glance at the wiper fluid levels, engine oil level using dipstick and you should be fine.

I had done the same stretch and you can refer my travelogue in the travelogues section.
Since it was a loaded car, I had filled 33 PSI for the trip.
Thanks. In fact it will complete 6 months on 24th September and will undergo 3rd free service 4 days before the trip.

Glad to see the mileage figure of your iDtec. The iVtec has shown ~16KM/L on an average in my last highway runs. Hope to see better figures post oil change, fresh filters during 3rd service.
Old 19th September 2017, 19:43   #5777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryendu87 View Post
However, the best practices board that I saw was also from a reputed tire manufacturer and had specifically mentioned "Long Highway Trips". Hence wanted to have a second opinion. It does seem logical enough as window sill of a car also mentions two separate tire pressures for separate speeds.
Exactly. What I was saying is that you stick to the car manufacturers recommendations. If it's mentioned on the car at some place, that means it's recommended by the car manufacturer. So that's the same thing.

I would be a little vary of tyre manufacturer recommendations because they are generic and can't be car specific. Because every car tends to have a different brand of tyre even from the same batch sometimes, leave alone model. So I'd rather stick to the car specific details than a particular tyre specific detail. Though that seems to be a small detail, it could have big consequences.

That said, I feel having 1-2 PSI above the mentioned level is ok, but anything above that is ones personal choice.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 20:29   #5778
BHPian

I am confused with engine oil grades, and unable to decide which one will be best for my 2012iVtec. Worst part is, local service centres recommend 0w20 fully synthetic oil, but the manual says a different story. 0w20 is not at all recommended

My City runs on recommended air pressure: 32psi front, 30psi rear. Works fine with me. Ride quality is best, as per my city's road conditions.
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-wp_20170919_20_03_53_pro.jpg  

Old 19th September 2017, 20:33   #5779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
I too have the City i-Vtec [2015 model]
Thanks for the information. I have i-vtec 2016. I generally fill only nitrogen. I fill up to 32 psi in all wheels. I don't drive more than 120 kmph even in highways. Is it really needed to fill different pressures in front and back?

Last edited by ampere : 19th September 2017 at 22:56.
Old 19th September 2017, 21:08   #5780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Exactly. What I was saying is that you stick to the car manufacturers recommendations. If it's mentioned on the car at some place, that means it's recommended by the car manufacturer. So that's the same thing.

I would be a little vary of tyre manufacturer recommendations because they are generic and can't be car specific. Because every car tends to have a different brand of tyre even from the same batch sometimes, leave alone model. So I'd rather stick to the car specific details than a particular tyre specific detail. Though that seems to be a small detail, it could have big consequences.

That said, I feel having 1-2 PSI above the mentioned level is ok, but anything above that is ones personal choice.
Some factors to consider.

Have you upsized tyres?
Have you fitted addons like rogerab?
Have you tried different tyre pressures?

For me, the answer is Yes to all. Finally, i found that 30.5 in the front and 28.5 is the most comfortable and without any drop in fuel efficiency for my upsized 195/60 R15 Michelin Primacy 3ST tyres both in City and Highway. Getting an FE of 12 to 13 in City and 15 to 21 kms/l depending on traffic on my VX CVT IVTEC. I have a very high opinion for these tyres. Ofcourse, need to inflate higher if speed is planned to be above the unlikely 160 km/h.

As mentioned above, it is best to have tyre pressure checked while cold. For this to perfectly happen, have a portable air compressor. However, portable air compressors are not entirely accurate and may over inflate. There is a tyre pressure monitor manufactured from Accutire which is rated very high for its accuracy from consumerreports.org. This can be used to check the pressure accurately and also expel air if required in case it's over inflated.

I use both of the above in conjunction and is really yielding good results. Else, make sure that tyre pressures are checked within 1 to 3 kms of driving sedately while the tyres are cold.

Happy driving. 😀
Old 22nd September 2017, 12:10   #5781
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I too have the City i-Vtec [2015 model]. I never went beyond 140 Kmph. This itself is for a small stretch. I am sure, 160+ is near to suicidal. ..

Prem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijayakrishnan View Post
... I fill up to 32 psi in all wheels. I don't drive more than 120 kmph even in highways. Is it really needed to fill different pressures in front and back?
Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
... Ofcourse, need to inflate higher if speed is planned to be above the unlikely 160 km/h.
In the early period I had touched 150 kmph on a very empty 4 lane stretch for a minute or two just to get the feel. The engine (iDtec) is able to reach these speeds quickly and the stability is good.

However, during the last 50K+ KMs, the peak speed has been between under 110 kmph (and lesser most of the time) on 4 lane clear roads and about 70 to 80 kmph on undivided highways. I've found these to be the safe limits.

The grip levels drastically reduce beyond 110 kmph and the stopping distance also is significantly more. I've found 120 kmph on the riskier side because the wheels don't hold well on sudden braking and tends to get skittish (with squeals).

The problem (not specific to any car) is the stopping part. The speed has to be slow enough so that it can be stopped quickly or controlled without drama in any situation.

When the car is being driven in the city with an empty boot and front passengers only, the load on the rear wheels is low, maintaining 1 to 2 psi lower at the back gives a plusher ride (Eg: 33 psi in the front and 31 at the rear).
On a fully loaded car on highways (4 to 5 passengers + full boot), its good to maintain the same pressure on all the 4 wheels. I've been maintaining 33 psi, but i'm more inclined to reduce it to 32psi for better grip.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 22nd September 2017 at 12:17.
Old 22nd September 2017, 12:18   #5782
BHPian

I am getting confused!

Are we concluding, a little lower psi [say 2 less than the recommended] would give us better mileage? If so, what would be the reason for manufacturer to recommend this little higher psi? would there be a reason like braking distance, etc.?

Me too running with 195/60/R15 from Yoko Earth and am always with the manufacturer's psi. I haven't tried any lower to compare the ride quality.

Prem.

Last edited by .anshuman : 22nd September 2017 at 12:21. Reason: Added proper spaces. Thanks
Old 22nd September 2017, 14:10   #5783
BHPian

Quote:
I am getting confused!

Are we concluding, a little lower psi [say 2 less than the recommended] would give us better mileage? If so, what would be the reason for manufacturer to recommend this little higher psi? would there be a reason like braking distance, etc.?

Me too running with 195/60/R15 from Yoko Earth and am always with the manufacturer's psi. I haven't tried any lower to compare the ride quality.

Prem.
Manufacturer recommended PSI is 32 and 30 (F & R) for 175/15 R15 tyres. Once you up size 32 and 30 psi is not any more manufacturer recommended. Ideally we should lower the PSI max by 2 depending on the tyre size and may be the brand of the tyre as well.

It's all about try and test. I tried 32 and 30 with the up sized tyres found the ride bumpy and also lesser grip. 31 and 29 was still bumpy however lesser and grip was still not satisfactory. 30 and 28 was perfect but as I did not want lose psi beyond this during running, maintained 0.5 psi more. So with 30.5 and 28.5 I am quite happy. But let me remind you, since I have installed Rogerab on all 4 springs, that may be the reason I am finding these pressures overall comfortable. Without Rogerab, can be a different experience.

One very pronounced disadvantage on increasing PSI is that if the drive is includes rougher roads, shocks can get damaged as well as the tyres can get bulged. This happened to my stock tyres (Goodyear GT3). At 32000 kms it was found quite bulged. I used to tyre pressures of 33 and 31 and even higher up to 35 and 33. The tyre dealer told me higher PSI can cause these kind of bulges. Thankfully there were no damages to the shocks.
adarsh76 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2017, 13:55   #5784
BHPian

I took my vehicle for regular service (33,500KM in odo) couple of weeks back at Saphire Honda, Bangalore. In the final bill I saw a new add-on ‘Miscellaneous Consumables’. This was not communicated to me by SA when taking estimate. Yes, it's a nominal charge but not sure whether it's approved by Honda.

Here is the final copy of the bill and response from dealer.

Experts, any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-honda_1.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-saphire.jpg  

Old 24th September 2017, 17:10   #5785
BHPian

Got my 3rd free service done at Whitefield Honda body shop yesterday. Had a bitter sweet experience.

The sweet part first :

The SA was attentive, had a talk with manager as well, he was courteous enough. Had regular oil change(3.6L synthetic oil) and was charged 1587 rupees. The car was cleaned up pretty good as well.

Now the bitter part

While receiving the car, I found the 64GB SD card(Samsung EVO plus) missing from my VIOFO dash cam. This undone all the good impression built up earlier. Upon inquiry, the SA cited ignorance that he is unaware of any such mischief. He went on to add that, it is the first time they are seeing such a camera in their career which I found hard to believe.

Later received a call from manager stating he will look into the matter and provide me an update by Monday(25th September). If they are unable to locate, he has assured of providing me a new one. I am starting for a BLR-BBS trip on 27th Morning and a dashcam without SD card is the last thing on my checklist.

Last edited by Suryendu87 : 24th September 2017 at 17:11. Reason: Add text for further clarification.
Old 25th September 2017, 13:12   #5786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
One very pronounced disadvantage on increasing PSI is that if the drive is includes rougher roads, shocks can get damaged as well as the tyres can get bulged. This happened to my stock tyres (Goodyear GT3). At 32000 kms it was found quite bulged. I used to tyre pressures of 33 and 31 and even higher up to 35 and 33. The tyre dealer told me higher PSI can cause these kind of bulges. Thankfully there were no damages to the shocks.
I think this is quite true. Even I had such an experience twice. I used to keep tyre pressure at 34 and 32 PSI at the front and at the rare respectively. On adulterated roads with moderate speeds, left front tyre developed a bulge. Replaced that with spare wheel. After 4 to 6 months, under similar conditions, front right tyre developed a small bulge. Now plan to switch the tyres between rare and front so that front tyres are in good shape (car mostly has occupants at front seats plus the load under the bonnet).

Couple of things learnt -

1. Keep tyre pressure to acceptable minimum specially when riding on adulterated roads - 32, 30 PSI or 31, 29 PSI
2. Be extra careful with speeds while riding on adulterated roads
Old 25th September 2017, 17:08   #5787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijayakrishnan View Post
Is it really needed to fill different pressures in front and back?
Yes. Manufacturers also specify it for a reason. Since the front axle also carries the load of the engine along with other components in Engine bay (for most cars), it is recommended to have higher air pressure in the front wheels. Always advisable to see the manufacturer recommended air pressures though as some cars may have engines mounted on the rare axle.
Old 28th September 2017, 15:37   #5788
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sakthi Prasad S shares the following complaint:

Quote:
New 2017 Honda City ZX variant with Sunroof

Every time the internal tray is operated, fibre from the inside comes out. Looks like every car in that variant has this issue. Wrote to Dealer and Honda but no solid action yet. I bought this car in August 2017 from Chennai.
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_1952.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_1951.jpg
Old 28th September 2017, 16:17   #5789
BHPian

Mine is a 2015 [pre-face lift] Honda City with Sunroof. I don't have this problem.
Old 28th September 2017, 22:24   #5790
BHPian

Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Mine is a 2015 [pre-face lift] Honda City with Sunroof. I don't have this problem.

Mine is a May 2014 model with sunroof. I do not have this problem either.

Last edited by adarsh76 : 28th September 2017 at 22:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks