Team-BHP - 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-434.html)

One of the many things am proud of is average I can obtain from my Honda City VX(O) 2016. But today one of my colleague told me that if a car is giving unexpectedly good average, there is some problem in turning and engine life gets affected. Should I be worried? Here are some snapshot of what I consistently get after three years of ownership.

So, finally upgraded the tail lights to something different. Always wanted the sweep indicator and hence went with this one. Looks real good and bright at night. :)

I was running LED bulbs in the reverse, indicator and brake light previously with the original housing. Now switched over to an aftermarket housing. No fast flashing of indicators and they flash with the same rate as before.
The car is now converted to full LEDs, right from fog lights, headlights, front indicators, HMSL, interior lights, license plate lights, boot light and aftermarket LED tail lights.

Only indicators
Name:  GifMeme22341309052019.gif
Views: 5149
Size:  2.37 MB

Indicator plus parking light
Name:  GifMeme22393809052019.gif
Views: 5253
Size:  2.73 MB

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilminstrel (Post 4586267)
One of the many things am proud of is average I can obtain from my Honda City VX(O) 2016. But today one of my colleague told me that if a car is giving unexpectedly good average, there is some problem in turning and engine life gets affected. Should I be worried? Here are some snapshot of what I consistently get after three years of ownership.

First time I'm hearing of this logic. Probably he's just jealous.

Quote:

Originally Posted by avdhesh15 (Post 4586783)

:uncontrol.. But, then Hanlon's razor comes to mind - Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by avdhesh15 (Post 4586783)

Cool. I like that, people being jealous of me coz of my car. lol: Nonetheless, I think its just his bonafide belief. I will hear him out more on this before reaching a conclusion.

Another thing my car shocker has started leaking after clocking 39K. I got it checked from a mechanic, he confirmed the leak but told me that it is harmless. At 42K again got it checked from another mechanic - still harmless. I have two questions here:
  1. Is it normal for Honda City to have shocker change at 39- 40 K? I was expecting much more!
  2. If I decide to get the shocker replaced, do I need to get both the shockers changed so that the play is even?

PS: I have a tour coming up in June amounting to 3K Kms, and am in two minds considering the "harmless leak" as suggested by two different mechanics

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilminstrel (Post 4587146)

Another thing my car shocker has started leaking after clocking 39K. I got it checked from a mechanic, he confirmed the leak but told me that it is harmless. At 42K again got it checked from another mechanic - still harmless. I have two questions here:
  1. Is it normal for Honda City to have shocker change at 39- 40 K? I was expecting much more!
  2. If I decide to get the shocker replaced, do I need to get both the shockers changed so that the play is even?

PS: I have a tour coming up in June amounting to 3K Kms, and am in two minds considering the "harmless leak" as suggested by two different mechanics

My advice is to get it changed right away if it is indeed leaking. And no need to change the other, change only the one with problem.

One more thing, is it not under warranty? It will be changed for free if under warranty. Otherwise of course you have to pay.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by gupta_chd (Post 4587156)

One more thing, is it not under warranty? It will be changed for free if under warranty. Otherwise of course you have to pay.:)

It is under extended 3rd-year warranty which, unlike Maruti and some other brands, does not cover shockers! :deadhorse

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilminstrel (Post 4587146)
... At 42K again got it checked from another mechanic
[*]If I decide to get the shocker replaced, do I need to get both the shockers changed so that the play is even?[/list]...

Quote:

Originally Posted by gupta_chd (Post 4587156)
..... It will be changed for free if under warranty.

Shocks come with the 2 year standard warranty or 40K KMs whichever is earlier. You seem to have missed it by a whisker.

Better check the condition of the other apparently good shocker. Its better to replace them in pairs for that even ride.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikhn (Post 4586781)
So, finally upgraded the tail lights to something different. Always wanted the sweep indicator and hence went with this one. Looks real good and bright at night. :)

I was running LED bulbs in the reverse, indicator and brake light previously with the original housing. Now switched over to an aftermarket housing. No fast flashing of indicators and they flash with the same rate as before.
The car is now converted to full LEDs, right from fog lights, headlights, front indicators, HMSL, interior lights, license plate lights, boot light and aftermarket LED tail lights.

Only indicators
Attachment 1874960

Indicator plus parking light
Attachment 1874964

Looks legit nice! Congratulations on your upgrades. Looks like you made it close to the ZX variant. clap:
Can you please provide the price bifurcation of all those led elements? Also where did you buy that taillights from ? Are they Chinese or Thailand's. please:
Since I also want to do the same treatment to my city your quotes will be helpful for me.

Hello all,
it seems my last post on this either got deleted or was never uploaded at the first place. So posting again.

I am getting key access indicator in my city. The keys were reprogrammed and even changed (although for different reasons), but the indicator keeps coming randomly. On some rides indicators come up, on others the dashboard is neat. Problem is when I take the car to the mechanic, the indicator is gone! How to deal with this?
Any lead on this except going back to the mechanic and hoping the indicator turns on while the car is in the garage?

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilminstrel (Post 4587472)
Hello all,
it seems my last post on this either got deleted or was never uploaded at the first place. So posting again.

I am getting key access indicator in my city. The keys were reprogrammed and even changed (although for different reasons), but the indicator keeps coming randomly. On some rides indicators come up, on others the dashboard is neat. Problem is when I take the car to the mechanic, the indicator is gone! How to deal with this?
Any lead on this except going back to the mechanic and hoping the indicator turns on while the car is in the garage?

If what you're trying to say is that the key sign comes on when the car is ON, then obviously the key is faulty since it's the changed one, right?

Some glitch in the reprogramming is not likely because then the car wouldn't start at all. The new hardware seems to be the culprit from what I can logically deduct.

Any which ways, you certainly don't want this to go unchecked and have a possibility of ending up with a perfectly good car refusing to start in some inconvenient place far from home. Get the keymaker to change the fob for you.

P. S. - I've heard of bad quality keys just losing their coding and then the car refusing to start. Not on a Honda though...

Another small yet simple DIY.

Having seen that the diesel variants of the Honda City get the hood insulator, I wonder why it wasn't added in the Petrol version. Mine being the 2014 VX CVT was obviously missing this. However, I wanted to see if I could add this to my car as well since there would be no change in the hood of the petrol or diesel version.

Bare bones hood!
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20190511_151610.jpg

I ordered the parts from Boodmo (from the Honda City ZX 2018 diesel variant) and found that apart from the insulator, a set of 5 clips are also required. Ordered them as well. Part numbers here for reference.

Hood insulator.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20190511_152505.jpg

Clips.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20190511_152230.jpg

The parts arrived in a week's time and all were genuine.
However, on opening the hood insulator, I found that the clips were already present along with the hood! :Frustrati

There is some thick foam present in the back side.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img20190511wa0006.jpeg

You can see the clips already installed!

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img20190511wa0008.jpeg

Nevertheless, I installed it with the set of clips already provided and found that there were three more holes which needed clips and those were not provided. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise!

Missing clips at the bottom (3 numbers) for the additional holes.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20190511_152218.jpg

After using the extra clips

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20190511_152413.jpg

The only thing remaining is to test and see if there is any reduction in engine noise inside the cabin.

Final look. :)

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img20190511wa0010.jpeg

P.S: I still have 2 additional clips remaining. If anyone wants, they can take it from me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikhn (Post 4587525)
The only thing remaining is to test and see if there is any reduction in engine noise inside the cabin.

Eagerly waiting for your report on this. This really looks like it could be a very simple & effective DIY for the car. Kudos to your efforts :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakwontsing (Post 4581325)
Also, I have observed that when I pull down the driver side window glass the plastic cladding on the door moves slightly outwards and when I close the window the plastic cladding moves in. Is it something by design to make way for rolling glass or is it an issue? Did any of you notice it in your City?

This was mentioned by GTO in the team-bhp official review of the pre-facelifted City.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3322006)
Believe it or not, the driver's doorpad flexes outward when you roll the window down, and inward when the glass is moved up:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakwontsing (Post 4581325)
Also, I have observed that when I pull down the driver side window glass the plastic cladding on the door moves slightly outwards and when I close the window the plastic cladding moves in. Is it something by design to make way for rolling glass or is it an issue? Did any of you notice it in your City?

It's the case with most Honda cars. I pointed it out during my Jazz delivery. The SA and myself checked all the other cars in showroom and turned out it's common in city, jazz and wr-v as well:Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix (Post 4587552)
This was mentioned by GTO in the team-bhp official review of the pre-facelifted City.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoumenD (Post 4587555)
It's the case with most Honda cars. I pointed it out during my Jazz delivery. The SA and myself checked all the other cars in showroom and turned out it's common in city, jazz and wr-v as well:Frustrati

Yes. I also get t it checked during service and I and SA checked other cars too. I even checked a car that was getting delivered from showroom too and it also had the same thing. Now whether this is an issue or not I don't know!