Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2019, 20:39   #6571
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToothyPetrohead View Post
My request is if you could elaborate a bit on what type of struts (pneumatic i know), length and where did you purchase the same from. After fitting does it touch the body of the car, rattles etc??

You have truly put this idea of mine into action I'd say thank you for the same. Now I can give your snap as proof and mobilize the same for my ride. What adjustments did you have to make (plastic trimmings) ? Any precautions required?
First of all, sorry for the delayed reply.

The pneumatic struts are 16.5 inches in length when completely open and it was purchased from here.

No adjustments as such. If there is rattling, the damper for the hood can be lifted in order to put pressure to hold it firmly in place.

It's a simple process of installing the struts. With the existing rod holding the hood, simply unscrew the screw present on the top portion of the headlight and the top most screw holding the bonnet to the bracket (as shown in picture).

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img20190626wa0006.jpg

Install the brackets and tighten the nuts present in the strut onto the bracket.The brackets provided with the kit has to be used specifically for left side and right side. An installation sheet was provided with the kit and I just followed that. Make sure to adjust the position of the bracket to accomodate the complete opening of the hood.

Finally it looks something like this.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img20190626wa0007.jpg

For the plastic trimming, just a small amount needs to be trimmed to accomodate the strut to sit flush. One can even cut the beading but I did not and I am not facing any issues.

Left side cut

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img20190626wa0010.jpg

Right side cut

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img20190626wa0009.jpg

Please let me know if you have any more queries.

Last edited by nikhn : 26th June 2019 at 21:02. Reason: Link corrected
nikhn is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 20:51   #6572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhn View Post
First of all, sorry for the delayed reply.

The pneumatic struts are 16.5 inches in length when completely open and it was purchased from here.
For some reason the link did not work. I searched on Aliexpress and located this :
Auto Front Hood Bonnet Modify Gas Struts Lift Support for HONDA CITY Gas Shock for Honda Grace 2009-2014 Damper 16.5inch:
URL

Is this the correct one? Also in the description below it once again calls out Honda City Model 2015 - 2017 only. Will this work for 2014 Honda City?

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 26th June 2019 at 20:52.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 20:55   #6573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
For some reason the link did not work. I searched on Aliexpress and located this :
Auto Front Hood Bonnet Modify Gas Struts Lift Support for HONDA CITY Gas Shock for Honda Grace 2009-2014 Damper 16.5inch:
URL

Is this the correct one? Also in the description below it once again calls out Honda City Model 2015 - 2017 only. Will this work for 2014 Honda City?
Sorry. I don't know why the link didn't work.

Yes it is the same thing. Just make sure to check with seller before purchasing. I requested for a length of 16.5-17 inches and confirmed with the seller after sending across measurement images. But I bought it from the same seller you have posted.

Edit: I have corrected the link for purchasing the one I have.

Last edited by nikhn : 26th June 2019 at 21:03. Reason: Additional information
nikhn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 21:30   #6574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVN View Post
I usually put it on N and engage the Hand brakes if the signal is longer than 40s. Leaving the car in D and using the brakes shouldn't be much of an issue for shorter signals.
Thanks, that sounds like a doable thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VVN View Post
Digipad easily qualifies as one of the worst HUs out there. Don't bother with the map on it. Its hilariously out dated. I use G Maps on my phone for navigation. I don't think there is any way to get live traffic updates on it unless they have updated it recently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
I have not used the Navigation system on my Digipad even once. I reply on Google Maps on my phone, and that continues to serve me well. You will be better off using Google Maps rather than try to update your navigation card.
Agree about digipad being absolutely hideous piece of tech, but the maps are not that bad. They are quite detailed when it comes to pointing to what road needs to be taken on complicated forks and intersections. I'm thinking of using it as an augmentation to gmaps on phone.

In other news, my car wears black lipstick now. Some of the guys at 3M store thought I was mad in trying to cover that gorgeous chrome grill with black vinyl - but, to each his own.
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20190622_160748__01__01.jpg  

Last edited by Su-47 : 26th June 2019 at 21:34.
Su-47 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 21:43   #6575
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post

In other news, my car wears black lipstick now. Some of the guys at 3M store thought I was mad in trying to cover that gorgeous chrome grill with black vinyl - but, to each his own.
It looks good, because I just hate too much chrome. Tell the 3M guys that you know a person who has actually painted his 4th generation Honda City grille in gloss black.

TADA!!!!
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-cd30b4c2ee9e4e0d94de4c8e148106a7.jpeg
pavi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 13:28   #6576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Add a dash of red to it like I had done it on mine. Looks even better in person.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20180325_135451__01.jpg
Altocumulus is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 13:56   #6577
BHPian

[quote=pavi;4610810]actually painted his 4th generation Honda City grille in gloss black.[/ATTACH]
Ahh! Paint meaning long term commitment. Looks good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Add a dash of red to it like I had done it on mine. Looks even better in person.
I couldn't visualize if black would look good on chrome elements above headlights. Your car's picture settles it - looks great!
Old 29th June 2019, 00:18   #6578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now the trunk insulation is installed finally. Used double sided tape and it sticks well for now.
I've received the trunk insulation from Boodmo. Ordered two clips as I believe that the 2014 City trunk lid has two holes and not 12 holes for the clips as in the 2016 City.
I plan to use the 3M tape for the rest of the areas.

My only concern is that the 3M double sided tape may not adhere well to the fibrous insulation fabric. The tape will definitely adhere well to the metal side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravind_M92 View Post
Got the boot lining from boodmo.com. Now the trunk looks neat.....
Part no for the lining : 84631-T9D-D00ZA
For the clips : 90667-SDA-A01ZA (12 nos)
Thank you very much for this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravind_M92 View Post
I would suggest you to get velcro strips instead of drilling holes.
This is a good idea as the velcro will make the boot lining easily removable.
One part of the velcro would stick to the metal area. The other velcro strip would need to be stiched along the edges of the trunk insulation which sounds like a daunting task. May need to go to a tailor/sofa stitcher for the same.

Quote:
... double sided tape (3M version) and it is holding well. Easily removable from the metal side as well in case you want to remove the liner.
3M tape looks like an easier option to work with compared to velcro. However it may not adhere to the fibrous fabric for long.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 29th June 2019 at 00:21.
Old 29th June 2019, 12:01   #6579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
3M tape looks like an easier option to work with compared to velcro. However it may not adhere to the fibrous fabric for long.
I still do not see any issues with the liner stuck with 3M tape and it's still holding on well for now. Do let me know the points where you put the additional clips as I am unable to locate the same.

Meanwhile, I finally installed the Automatic Rain and Light sensor for the car and it works flawlessly. Just the correct sensitivity has to be adjusted for the rain sensor and it will be complete. Waiting for the rains to pour once again to test. No wires were cut here and the entire system is plug and play. Overall, almost a ZX variant except for the spoiler and 4 additional airbags.

Here's the sensor from inside. There is an ECU module as well which I have fixed underneath the dashboard.

When in off and ignition mode
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20190629_115016.jpg

When the engine is running
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20190629_115020.jpg

Working shown with the videos attached.

Only light sensor

Rain sensor
nikhn is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th June 2019, 09:38   #6580
R.G
BHPian

Wondering if anyone has successfully installed a child safety seat on Honda City ( 2014 - 2017 ) model ?

Owners manual ( Pg.68 + ) mentions 4 anchor points hidden towards the front bottom portion of the section where we rest our backs. These can be used to latch the harness from child safety seat. All I could find is a hole on the seat frame towards the middle portion of the seat. I admit , I gave up reading the manual further when I realised if at all I can achieve this , then it would be with the seat belt alone as there are no supporting hardware in and around the seat .

Also , on most of the child safety seats that I have seen ( not many ) there is a harness which goes above the actual car seat , which can be fastened to the lower back portion of the actual car seat. This setup would hold the top portion of the car seat tight. I know that in the US , there is an anchor point for this purpose . A quick read on this forum pointed me to ISOFIX standard , which explains what they are.

Has anyone achieved fixing a car seat on Honda City ( 2014 - 2017 models)? . The one I have is this model , bought from the US

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073VPXWD6 (Cosco Finale DX 2-in-1 Combination Booster Car Seat )

If yes , please help me .

If my car alone is missing those anchors , I would want those to be installed at the earliest.

Now to the questions that my mind wandered into and couldn't comprehend.

1.Are Honda Cars ( 2014 - 2017 models , if not all ) non ISOFIX compliant ?

2.Are these owner's manual generic ? Shouldn't it be specific to the India specific model we get ? It would save time and energy trying to pull things out and then ruling out the approach identified and going with the next.

3.Aren't we Indian customers shortchanged on child safety for an expensive (INR 10L+) car , if these anchor points are not provided from factory. I personally think these features should be present in all cars , irrespective of the price range.
Old 30th June 2019, 13:49   #6581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.G View Post
Wondering if anyone has successfully installed a child safety seat on Honda City ( 2014 - 2017 ) model ?
The 2016-2017 manufactured city's had ISOFIX anchor mounts. Since your car doesn't , I'm guessing you have a 2014-2015 model. In this case, you'll have to use the seatbelt to secure the car seat.

Check if your child seat can be secured with the seatbelt instead of the ISOFIX mounts because, as far as I know, not all new child seats can be secured with seatbelts.
Pratyush2407 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2019, 14:33   #6582
R.G
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratyush2407 View Post
I'm guessing you have a 2014-2015 model. In this case, you'll have to use the seatbelt to secure the car seat.
Thank you for that information . I have a 2014 model .

The owner's manual explains in length and breadth on different ways to attach a child seat , but seat belt is the only option out of that. I am not sure if I should feel cheated or unlucky !.
Old 30th June 2019, 16:19   #6583
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure if I should feel cheated or unlucky !.
You shouldn't feel cheated or unlucky!

For 2014, the City was arguably the safest car in the segment in terms of safety features. Child seats , at that time, were unheard of in India and few mass market cars offered ISOFIX.

Infact, in 2014, the base Rapid/ Vento did not have abs/airbags, the 6 airbag version of the Verna was discontinued and the base Verna and Ciaz only came with a single airbag.
The city had dual airbags+ abs and ebd as standard since 2008!

Safety awareness only started to creep in once global ncap started its crash tests in 2015 which resulted in manufactures like Volkswagen making airbags standard and Maruti atleast offering an airbag variant across all trims
Pratyush2407 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2019, 19:51   #6584
BANNED

Quote:
Thank you for that information . I have a 2014 model .

The owner's manual explains in length and breadth on different ways to attach a child seat , but seat belt is the only option out of that. I am not sure if I should feel cheated or unlucky !.
I am having 2014 model and I have been securing the child seat using seat belts for last 1 year. The child seat is not the booster one and is a ‘non-isofix’ type. I have not encountered any issues till now. Try to put the seat belt over the child seat to secure it, the way we put seat belt on ourselves.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2019, 10:05   #6585
R.G
BHPian

Thanks pavi.

I did fasten the child seat with seat belt eventually. The only weak point in the setup is the top portion of the child seat not held tight. I will need to find a way to bring the harness for that purpose to back lower portion of the seat.

Most Viewed