Team-BHP - 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-44.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by cijo (Post 3352158)
I think it may not be a flaw, infact it could be a feature to enhance the night driving experience by lowering the cabin light intensity when the headlight turned on. May be I am wrong .

That's not a bug, that's a feature! My indica's MID also gets dimmed when the headlights are turned on. In fact HU's also have this feature , and they come with a lead to be connected to the Car's wiring which will dim their displays also when the HL are turned on.

I'm surprised an experienced Reviewer thinks this is a flaw

Thank you for the meticulous and detailed review GTO. Have long since been a ardent Honda and City follower... and its great to read about the 4th gen City in detail.

I too believe that the 3rd gen City still looks attractive, and it makes sense that the design wasn't reinvented, but was rather just let to evolve some. To me the Verna with all its fluidic lines still doesn't look nearly as nice as the sharp and slick 3rd gen City. The 4th gen just ups the ante in the looks dept.

Now with the plethora of gadgets, features, and frills, the City looks to be a fab offering. As I went through the review describing the individual features with pictures, I was quite blown away by all that the 4th gen City has to offer. It would be hard not to recommend this car to anyone considering a C2 sedan.

Ever since buying myself a used OHC, as much as I've appreciated other Honda City releases, and respected them, there's been no serious intent or interest to buy the City. What is your take on the fun factor and the driving experience of the the 4th gen City vs. the OHC? From your other threads I know that you have been a big advocate of the latter.

My other observation, beyond the several features was the very sophisticated and premium feel the car had. The dash looks awesome, the steering being the highlight. The blue dials look impressive, with the glow on the side being a really cool touch; attention to detail indeed!

The rear seat looked very classy and premium. Dare I say, it reminded me a lot of how the rear seat of the 7th gen Accord looked, with the beige leather. Maybe its not as spacious, but still. Gotta love something that looks and feels as sophisticated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aniyahr (Post 3351327)
When I promptly expressed my displeasure over this false information, the SA spoke to his manager and told me that he will give the car by the end of this week. And when I asked him how did it become possible now, he told me that he will be giving a car that is allotted to some one else! What is wrong with you Honda!

How long does it normally take to get the car registered? I am being told here that it will take 4-5 days. Is it so?

I had a similar experience with Dakshin Honda in 2010 when I went to book the then 3rd Generation city. After promising me to deliver the Black colour car and taking the advance from me, they call next day to say that Black is not available. I was surprised. I said I would wait. Then I am told I wont get a Black anytime because (hold your breath) " Honda is stopping production of Pearl Black". I was naturally not convinced that a manufacturer would stop the production of the colour when it still was selling in decent numbers. So, called Whitefield Honda and finalized the purchase and they had no such issues.
The next few days, people from Dakshin Honda kept calling me insisting that I stick to the car loan planned from their showroom even when I was buying the car from Whitefield Honda!!. I politely refused. Finally got the impression they were more keen on giving me the car loan than selling me the Car.

Also please note that Registration is done in a single day.

Iam not suggesting that other dealers are better(have faced enough issues with Whitefield Honda), but such duplicity on their part is a big turn off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akhil.sharma (Post 3351739)
Honda City the best sedan on road in its class....

The only thing that worries me is the ground clearance...

The BEST car should NOT give you ANY worries at all!! It should be the BEST in everything! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsrivatsa (Post 3352086)
....Dakshin Honda messaging has not been consistent. Initially they said they will start deliveries from 1st week of Feb. Now he says Car is in Stock Yard and it will be delivered within a week of payment. Is it safe to trust and proceed?...

What's unsafe here? Delivery depends on multiple things.

1. It could have been allotted to someone who may have cancelled or is facing some delays in funds.

2. The dealer might have got more number of cars in the color you booked.

To get rid of your fear, please ask for the VIN (the car itself is launched recently, so there is NO way this can be an old stock) and also do a PDI before you make the payment. There is a t-bhp check list to help you out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by damager21 (Post 3352113)
In the Honda City review on the Car and Bike show, SVP spoke about a flaw. When he turned ON the head lights, the display of AC touch screen control and 5" display both dimmed out significantly. Did anyone notice this?...

Quote:

Originally Posted by srishiva (Post 3352137)
....Is it because of auto dimming at night?

Quote:

Originally Posted by h@r$h@l (Post 3352143)
I have noticed a similar thing happen in my friends 2011 Toyota Fortuner as well...

Quote:

Originally Posted by kryogesh (Post 3352202)
It's certainly a flaw and Honda hasn't taken a notice of this minor detail...

1. First of all, SVP doesn't use the word "flaw"! So we have gone too far dissecting the problem. Instead, he used the word "downside".

2. He compares this with the CRV where he says it keeps remaining bright even when the headlights are ON.

I have seen this in our Wagon R & Swift & i20 too! This is NOT a flaw, but a design aspect - ergonomics, if I may call! My guess is the point he tried to make is that it dims significantly to an extent where we can NOT see the controls (on the touchscreen portions) well. And being ONLY touch control and NO knobs, this could adversely affect the experience (especially when it rains in the day time and you have to switch on your lights and drive for long).

Or it could happen that the brightness settings were set too low, which he may NOT have checked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cijo (Post 3352158)
I think it may not be a flaw, infact it could be a feature to enhance the night driving experience by lowering the cabin light intensity when the headlight turned on...

Quote:

Originally Posted by eq24 (Post 3352165)
This happens in my Fortuner as well...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 3352185)
The interior illumination doesn't dim out automatically at night. It is wired to the headlights. If the headlights turn on, the interiors get dimmed out...

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 3352246)
That's not a bug, that's a feature! My indica's MID also gets dimmed when the headlights are turned on...

Sorry to nit pick, in all the vehicles I have driven, the dimming happens as soon as I switch on the park lights and NOT when I switch on the headlights. Not sure you guys meant to write the same, but ended up writing "headlights" instead. stupid:

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftnfurious (Post 3352329)

Sorry to nit pick, in all the vehicles I have driven, the dimming happens as soon as I switch on the park lights and NOT when I switch on the headlights. Not sure you guys meant to write the same, but ended up writing "headlights" instead. stupid:

I think all of us meant lights, parking or headlight. As soon as you turn on any of the lights, fog, parking or headlight the interior lights will dim.

In other news, Honda has launched the City in Thailand. What's extremely disappointing for India is that the Thai spec City gets Hill start assist and VSA stability control as standard across all variants. The top end V+ and SV+ goes a step further with side and curtain airbags which means 6 airbags.

http://paultan.org/2014/01/23/2014-h...d-in-thailand/

I visited Pride Honda at Hyderabad to get my first look at the new City.

They had 2 cars on display, S MT and a more interesting S MT 'Pride Exclusive' edition. They are charging 1 Lac over and above the base version and the exclusives on offer are 1) CASKA Touch screen player 2) Black carbon fibre stickering on the roof and 3) Red JDM Honda emblems in the front and rear.

Anyway, I'm looking for a SV CVT and after hearing stories of long waiting periods, I was pleasantly surprised when the sales advisor very cooly told me that if I book now, delivery can be expected in end of March. Was that a bluff ? Is there any way to find out ??

Its good to know that registration can be done in a single day and sad to know that I am stuck with Dakshin Honda which needs 4 days to do the same. Unfortunately I cannot change the dealer now since any booking now will be considered a new one and there will be a waiting period.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drjkonline (Post 3352283)
The next few days, people from Dakshin Honda kept calling me insisting that I stick to the car loan planned from their showroom even when I was buying the car from Whitefield Honda!!. I politely refused. Finally got the impression they were more keen on giving me the car loan than selling me the Car.

Even I felt the same way. Somehow all their enthusiasm and interest just fizzled out when I said I am getting my financing done from some other bank.

Quote:

Originally Posted by autotranny (Post 3352392)
I visited Pride Honda at Hyderabad to get my first look at the new City. They had 2 cars on display, S MT and a more interesting S MT 'Pride Exclusive' edition. They are charging 1 Lac over and above the base version and the exclusives on offer are 1) CASKA Touch screen player 2) Black carbon fibre stickering on the roof and 3) Red JDM Honda emblems in the front and rear....

Did you happen to take any pictures of the "pride exclusive"?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 3352335)
In other news, Honda has launched the City in Thailand. What's extremely disappointing for India is that the Thai spec City gets Hill start assist and VSA stability control as standard across all variants. The top end V+ and SV+ goes a step further with side and curtain airbags which means 6 airbags.

Also, from the pics, the Thailand version gets these more too:

a) Rear adjustable head rests with center head rest
b) Boot lid is covered from inside
c) Additional buttons on the steering wheel (I suppose its Speech Recognition and folder select)
d) All black interiors
e) Foldable rear seats
f) GPS Navigation
g) A totally different interface on the display screen (looks more OEM and better than ours)
h) Better alloys design

Quote:

Originally Posted by _raVan_ (Post 3352495)
Also, from the pics, the Thailand version gets these more too:

a) Rear adjustable head rests with center head rest
b) Boot lid is covered from inside
c) Additional buttons on the steering wheel (I suppose its Speech Recognition and folder select)
d) All black interiors
e) Foldable rear seats
f) GPS Navigation
g) A totally different interface on the display screen (looks more OEM and better than ours)
h) Better alloys design

Thailand always gets an all black interior, so thats not a surprise. The feature list on the Thai model does leave us a bit shortchanged, doesn't it !
I would have liked to see navigation and adjustable head rests on the Indian model for sure.

Quote:

In other news, Honda has launched the City in Thailand.

Love the all black interior shown in the photos. At least, they should have it as an option here. Have seen it previously in the Jazz (top variant with blue black interior) and Brio (mid variant with all black interior). An option on the City across variants will be awesome. And then lets see how many prospective buyers go for this overrated beige interiors.

Also, the top variants at Thailand get the 185/55 R16 tyres.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nik_kapur (Post 3352628)
Thailand always gets an all black interior, so thats not a surprise. The feature list on the Thai model does leave us a bit shortchanged, doesn't it !

If VSA/ESP, better tyres etc. can be standard across the range in Thailand, why not in India? It's the epitome of cost cutting. And even with all those add-ons, in Thailand it will still sell cheaper than the likes of Honda Jazz.

Quote:

I think all of us meant lights, parking or headlight. As soon as you turn on any of the lights, fog, parking or headlight the interior lights will dim.

The SV+ and I am not sure it is AT or MT converted to INR costs 1411000 Rs, this is ex showroom so with taxes it is bound to be more.

Whereas the top end VX AT ex Delhi is 1098000 ex showroom.

So in Thailand the car is three lakh(313000 to be precise) rupees more expensive, what is the harm if they get more features. If the City was priced like that in India, it wouldn't even sell.

Even I felt the same way. Somehow all their enthusiasm and interest just fizzled out when I said I am getting my financing done from some other bank.[/quote]

I am taking the loan from the finance person at Dakshin Honda itself (they have tie up with SBI] - still they are saying it takes 1 week from the time of making the agreement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vb-san (Post 3352677)
If VSA/ESP, better tyres etc. can be standard across the range in Thailand, why not in India? It's the epitome of cost cutting. And even with all those add-ons, in Thailand it will still sell cheaper than the likes of Honda Jazz.

The rear middle headrest is also omitted in the Indian variant. A basic but important feature to prevent a whiplash injury to the neck / fatality in case of a collision from the rear. The person sitting in the middle is in serious danger if there is no headrest.

Safety is seriously overlooked in the Indian variants by almost every brand (even Verna has removed the mid rear headrest in the newer versions).

Unless safety awareness rises to mass levels in India and there are loopholes in the law, manufacturers will always resort to omitting such basic essentials to maximize profits.
The middle headrest should be mandated by the Indian Govt for all cars.