Team-BHP - 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-443.html)

Have you tried out on any highway? If not, do a tank full, drive 100km, again tank up, and then see the mileage.

The fix is done and my car is silent now. Somehow I was getting a feeling to apply damping foam tape on both A pillars. I opened the A pillars and noticed a plastic casing through which wires are securely passed to the bottom portion of the dashboard. I applied damping foam tapes at most of the contact areas. Then I covered the plastic casing with thermocol packing material which is used to come with amazon packages. Now the sound is no more present for the last 4 days. Even though I suspected the rattle was happening from the wiper cowl, the actual cause of rattle was the plastic casing.

I also have a 2014 VX CVT and upgraded tires to 195 section Michelin P3ST. Never got mileage below 8 with Eco off also.

I think the way you are calculating is wrong - simply do a tankful from a reputed station (I prefer IndianOil), run the car till you get low fuel light, do a tankful again and note those liters. Divide the km run by that amount - you will get accurate mileage since you take care of the errors caused due to the spare fuel in the tank (there is atleast 3-4 liters left even after the yellow light).

Here are some tips:
1. Use the tank-to-tank method to calculate FE
2. Check your air pressure
3. Check your air filter
4. Check your fuel system (Done)
5. Check the coolant and engine oil too
6. Also, I've heard that the CVT lubrication oil get a little viscous after extensive city use. I'd suggest that you drive on the highway at varying engine speeds to 'open' up the engine and transmission.

I also agree with other members that your commute is very short for the engine to heat up enough to reach its ideal operating temperature.

Thanks a lot people for all the advice. I will test the car on the highways once and report back. To answer some of the other questions,

Tyre pressure : It is always kept at 32 for the front and 30 for the rear. Not seen abnormal variations when I top up. I always check at a shell station in hsr layout. I have also checked this at a proper tyre workshop. I try and check every month. Sometimes once in 2 months.

Mileage checking method : I will try the full tank top up method and report back. My method consistently gave me 7 to 7.2 kmph for 7 months so I am not sure how helpful this will be but I will surely try it out. And this is while using Shell power. If I move to normal unleaded, mileage drops slightly.

Average speed : A little correction here. I had said 20 to 40 kmph. It is more like 10 to 35 kmph.

I have been driving City CVT for 4 months now. Two free services done. While I start from home in Noida in semi peak traffic but by the time I reach office I pass through some peak traffic conditions. I pass through some good volume of traffic before I hit pahadi rasta between Gurgaon and Faridabad. 50 percent of my commute is on traffic signal free roads with moderate traffic (60-70kmph) and remaining has a few signals and then some stretches have heavy traffic especially when I enter Gurgaon. I am getting mileage anything between 14 and 15 with average of 14.5. I check the efficiency based on km driven and fuel filled and match it with the FE shown on digital dashboard. Both match fairly well.
One of my colleagues has same model but I don't remember if that's CVT or not. He drives half the distance but on heavier traffic conditions. He gets 8.5kmpl. So it's more about how often you have to brake and pick up again and again.
CVT has slow pickup for sure. So I tend to rev a little more while in speeds lower than 20kmph. But as soon as I do that the blue light on dashboard makes me feel I am not doing right so I make my foot a little lighter on accelerator to keep the light green as much as possible. It's not that it is always so. But consciously I try to do that. Old habits die hard when my Santro Xing used to pick up immediately as soon as I used to give it more gas.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakwontsing (Post 4632437)
CVT has slow pickup for sure. So I tend to rev a little more while in speeds lower than 20kmph. But as soon as I do that the blue light on dashboard makes me feel I am not doing right so I make my foot a little lighter on accelerator to keep the light green as much as possible. It's not that it is always so. But consciously I try to do that. Old habits die hard when my Santro Xing used to pick up immediately as soon as I used to give it more gas.

That immediacy of response which you miss from your Santro days is very much present in the manual ivtecclap:

In fact that is one of my top three favourite things about the engine in it's MT guise and a refreshing change from my earlier Swift K12 petrol. The ivtec is super responsive and starts responding well from 1200 RPM onwards. By the time it's crossed 1500 RPM it is gunning for the horizon! Really love the throttle response on this car.

Yeah I know that @arindambasu13, but then it's OK. CVT is a different experience altogether. Somewhere some adjustments have to be made when we make certain decisions. While it has slower pick up but CVT has saved me backaches I was getting when I had to use clutch a lot in Delhi traffic. I travel 100 km a day so CVT made sense.

By the way, I was just thinking if the leather seats (sure it's not pure leather) need a cover on top of them? I keep wondering what if the original covers get a cut with some sharp object then it would hurt big time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakwontsing (Post 4632581)
By the way, I was just thinking if the leather seats (sure it's not pure leather) need a cover on top of them? I keep wondering what if the original covers get a cut with some sharp object then it would hurt big time.

If I'm not wrong, you've a 2019 City, which only has leather seats on the ZX variant. Seat Covers are a strict NO when your car has seat mounted airbags.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swapnil_Alto (Post 4634796)
If I'm not wrong, you've a 2019 City, which only has leather seats on the ZX variant. Seat Covers are a strict NO when your car has seat mounted airbags.

Yeah realized it after I posted here.

By the way, is it OK to follow service advisor's advice of wheel rotation and alignment balancing after every 10k? I used to follow 5k regime with my old car just to make sure it remains in fine condition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakwontsing (Post 4632581)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swapnil_Alto (Post 4634796)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakwontsing (Post 4634799)
Yeah realized it after I posted here.

You can check if there are 3/4 or 1/2 seat covers available from Honda for City ZX model so that the sides remain open. Similar seat covers are available for other OEMs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakwontsing (Post 4634799)
By the way, is it OK to follow service advisor's advice of wheel rotation and alignment balancing after every 10k? I used to follow 5k regime with my old car just to make sure it remains in fine condition.

I follow the 5k schedule.
I generally prefer doing certain things the old school way when it comes to my car. Recently during the 1st service, I was advised not to change the engine oil as the Honda Manual suggests engine oil change for new cars to be 10k kms/3rd servicing. But I prefer the first engine oil change after 1k kms.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackasta (Post 4634801)
You can check if there are 3/4 or 1/2 seat covers available from Honda for City ZX model so that the sides remain open. Similar seat covers are available for other OEMs.

As far as I remember, OEM Honda Seat covers don't have this option.

Clutch Replacement for the Honda City:

I left my car for the 60K service today. The Service Advisor called and said they would recommend replacement of the clutch as it has become hard. I have not had any issues with the clutch slipping and so I asked him to skip the same. As for the hardness - I will need to compare with another City since I have got used to it and don't feel it to be hard as such...

Is there a recommended procedure using which one can test for the clutch health? Or would it make sense to get it validated at an FNG before giving the Honda guys the go ahead for a clutch replacement?

When is a good time to change disc of brakes? I have run 50K till date and my service manager is suggesting a change now. Any clues/experience?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsrivatsa (Post 4635418)
Clutch Replacement for the Honda City:

I left my car for the 60K service today. The Service Advisor called and said they would recommend replacement of the clutch as it has become hard. I have not had any issues with the clutch slipping and so I asked him to skip the same. As for the hardness - I will need to compare with another City since I have got used to it and don't feel it to be hard as such...

Is there a recommended procedure using which one can test for the clutch health? Or would it make sense to get it validated at an FNG before giving the Honda guys the go ahead for a clutch replacement?

Even during last service for my City (2015 IVTEC), service adviser mentioned that clutch has gone hard. Car has closed 31k KMs on odo. Though I don't feel the difference, would be good to compare it or ask some someone else to drive and confirm. Replacing clutch at 30k seems too far fetched.